Ultrasound

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (301 to 350 of 491)
Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

Anne in Santa Fe Springs, California

86 months ago

If you are willing to do the extra two years in x-ray, I would highly encourage you to do that first and then go into ultrasound. You may not know it but there is so much more you can do when you are x-ray 1st. At some places, they pay a bit extra if you have an ARRT license. Who knows, you may like MRI or CT (no portables) and pays about the same. You can't do it if you are only ARDMS. However, don't be discourage if you found shadowing a tech for a week a bit boring (actually VERY boring). It is not interesting unless you actually hold a probe. I was bored out of my mind the first week of ultrasound because it was just staring at someone else in a dark cool room (not great after lunch *sleepy*). Once again, x-ray is great to do before you go into ultrasound, promise!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Minneapolis, Minnesota

86 months ago

Hi Jeff,

I am presently going the echo program at Agrosy (first year student), will you be going there as well? If you feel comfortable please send your personal email address to this site and I will contact you or perhaps we can meet for lunch to discuss.

Kim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sono Success in New York, New York

86 months ago

Lys said: Hello Shanda,

I went to the Sanford Brown Institute (Formerly Ultrasound Diagnostic School) in Garden City, NY. It was NOT accredited, and it was very hard for me to find a job after I graduated, because I'm not registered, and I wasn't even eligible to sit for the exams until after one year of working, and they do not count school as "experience". Yes evey place has its quirks, youre right. NYU has a program, and my friend went there. She is registered in ABD and OB-GYN, but places didnt want her because she has no scanning experience. They taught the test, not the scanning. Therefore, it took her a while to find a job, she got it after volunteering, and she replaced a girl who couldnt get registered. I would advise you to go to a place where they have an accredited program, and take the boards ASAP. It's very hard to get back into physics and abd once youre out of school for a year or more for these tests. Trust me. Good luck :)

Lys

Take the physics tutoring course in your area it is very helpful and concentrates on the exam ony. 516/622-1400

Jeff in Minneapolis, Minnesota

86 months ago

Hey Kim, I am going to Argosy. How do you like it so far? Is it a good school? Do you know any advantages of echo versus general. I am signed up for echo. Email back if you can!! jgrabow10@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Jeff

Eileen in Helena, Montana

86 months ago

Sandra in Spring, Texas said: I just finished Ultrasound school in Jan. and I have not been able to find a job in Houston. The feedback I am getting is that I need to have one year experience and your clinical does not count. If no experience you must be registered. I went to a school that was not CAAHEP recognized so I would have to wait a year (working) to be able to take the registry, but I can't get a job because I don't have "experience". I really stuck! I have tried everything to get a job and no one cares!.

Some schools out there are not worth the time and money invested. And when you are finished you are not even a candidate for a job. You need to find a program that when you are finished, you are registry eligible. Otherwise, who would want to hire someone that they are going to have to train for a year before they can officially use them. And any facility willing to hire someone that isn't registered is not any place I would want to receive my health care or would want to work for.
My advice, go back to school, but this time, find a reputable school that is certified.
Eileen, BS, RDMS

Anne in Santa Fe Springs, California

86 months ago

Here Here Eileen! I repeatedly encourage people to go the long but safest route (meaning go to a CAAHEP school)! You get the best training and then you are registry eligible and are able to work right away. Don't throw your money to a $30K school and graduate with nothing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lostnconfused in Mississippi

86 months ago

Yes Eileen (and Anne). Please stay here and post more often.

jhennzzz in Jamaica, New York

86 months ago

Karen in Bohemia, New York said: I googled Ultrasound schools and that school poped up I didn't hear anything negative. Thats good you have your ba. You should get in a.s.a.p it starts in May. The number is 1-212-758-1809. I just applied to molloy and I gonna apply to LIU.

karen

are you still going in iamp? and what school are you talking about for the number that did you post

Karen in Holbrook, New York

85 months ago

Im not going to IAMP because I do not have my BA and you have to wait a year to take the registry. The number that I posted was for IAMP

jhennzzz in Jamaica, New York

85 months ago

Karen in Holbrook, New York said: Im not going to IAMP because I do not have my BA and you have to wait a year to take the registry. The number that I posted was for IAMP

tnx.. now i'm confuse if i still want to go there.

Hosp RDMS in Atlanta, Georgia

85 months ago

jhennzzz in Jamaica, New York said: tnx.. now i'm confuse if i still want to go there.

Another option would be to look at schools with online programs in your area. I am familiar with Institute of Medical Ultrasound (IMU) in Atlanta. They have students here, but also have distant students who do their clincal rotations where they live. I do know that you need 2 years of allied health training or a college degree to get in though. I believe they are strict about this to ensure that their graduates can sit for the registry exams once thy finish and not have to wait a year. From working with the students from their I understand that they are in the process of getting accredited.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laurel Collins in Los Angeles, California

85 months ago

Has anyone sought legal advice concerning this? I've considered, but hell, I am already 30k in the hole. I just feel it is legitimate and could be a case - for fraud...just curious if anyone else -who has graduated from an unaccredited school has considered legal options? I am sure these schools have all kinds of loopholes to protect themselves, but who knows!

Tom in Norristown, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

They did file a class action suit against a school in Philadelphia and won however after all the lawyers were paid only the one tech who initiated the case was paid back her full tuition everyone else received somewhere in the range of $1,800. The best thing is to do your research prior to signing up.

cece atl in atlanta, Georgia

85 months ago

ScanMan in Atlanta, Georgia said: You are right LC, I should get paid. More important is addressing the amount of misinformation that permeates forums, and much of it is by individuals not in the field.

You say whatever you like about who you think I am. Point is, anyone pursuing a career in ultrasound should not be misled and believe these forums are the gospel that should be the criteria for directing their career options.

As I did, I suggest ALL of you to request information on ALL aspects of any of the schools you have an interest in. Ideally, try to go to a school during class or lab hours and make contact with present students. If there is something that is not on the up-n-up, they will tell you. I think you will get much more credible information, than what I say, or anyone else.

I happen to have worked with students from the various Atlanta schools. I see what their skills are, and also hear the issues, or frustrations they experience in training and getting employed to base my perspectives. This is the advantage I have, and being in the field I can speak from experience based on many years.

As I have stated previously, and I stand behind it now, the two schools in Atlanta I would consider are Grady, and IMU. Grady, however, does not offer cardiac training. IMU does offer both, and I heard will be offering vascular in the near future. Grady is accredited, while I understand IMU is in the process of seeking it.

ANYONE who graduates from a degree program can sit for their registry exam if the meet the admission requirements (College degree, or 2-years Allied health training).

I would just like to know does i really matter if you come from a school that is not accredited? can you still find a job as long as you get the hands on you need in schools. because after doing research i have found a few schools that are not accrredited but the students feel they have learned a lot.

lostnconfused in Mississippi

85 months ago

CeCe:
If you find a school that you like and one that allows you to get your clinical training and all required hours, go for it-accredited or not.
If you choose that route please be sure that you have a BS/BA or 2yrs of Allied Health under your belt first.

Sun in Denver, Colorado

85 months ago

lostnconfused in Mississippi said: CeCe:
If you find a school that you like and one that allows you to get your clinical training and all required hours, go for it-accredited or not.
If you choose that route please be sure that you have a BS/BA or 2yrs of Allied Health under your belt first.

I know if someone has BS/BA degree, she or he can sit the registery exam right after graduation, but is it TRUE about 2Yrs of Allied Health degree? I do have Medical Assistant degree. Do you think if I go to non-accredited Sonography school, I can take registery exam with out working a year? Please give me detailed information. It is really important to me. Thanks!!!

Laurel Collins in Los Angeles, California

85 months ago

Is your medical assistant degree a Bachelor degree? If it isn't, you cannot sit for the exam until working for a year-ONLY with a Bachelor's degree can you sit if you go to an unaccredited school. Don't waste your time...please go to an accredited school! Just read over the posts here at how many people cannot find jobs...ultrasound is VERY hands on - it is not something that you cannot do for a few months and then jump right back in and pick up where you left off - especially with techs just starting out-you need continual scanning for at least a couple of years...

arieal 22 in Apple Valley, California

85 months ago

Laurel Collins in Los Angeles, California said: Is your medical assistant degree a Bachelor degree? If it isn't, you cannot sit for the exam until working for a year-ONLY with a Bachelor's degree can you sit if you go to an unaccredited school. Don't waste your time...please go to an accredited school! Just read over the posts here at how many people cannot find jobs...ultrasound is VERY hands on - it is not something that you cannot do for a few months and then jump right back in and pick up where you left off - especially with techs just starting out-you need continual scanning for at least a couple of years...

The rules have changed , now the only people that can sit for exam are accredited schools or a BS in ultrasound, all others have to wait a year. go to ARDMS and look at new guidelines effective Feb 2007

kathy in Cheshire, Connecticut

85 months ago

Hi.
I called ARDMS today and they said that if you have a BS and if the DMS program you attended is 1680 hours or more accredited or not you can take your exam.

Jennifer in Dana Pt, CA

85 months ago

Sandra in Spring, Texas said: I just finished Ultrasound school in Jan. and I have not been able to find a job in Houston. The feedback I am getting is that I need to have one year experience and your clinical does not count. If no experience you must be registered. I went to a school that was not CAAHEP recognized so I would have to wait a year (working) to be able to take the registry, but I can't get a job because I don't have "experience". I really stuck! I have tried everything to get a job and no one cares!.

I finished last Oct and have the same problem. Have you been able to find a job yet?

florencia in Miami, Florida

85 months ago

Ines in Miami, Florida said: I have an interview with ATI in MIAMI, FLORIDA.

I will find out details about their sonography program.

They offer a program that doesn't even require HS diploma. Don't worry, I will ask before I leap according to your comments above.

ANYONE KNOWS AN ACCREDITED SCHOOL IN MIAMI OR ANYWHER IN FL?

Well, i' am looking for a good place to go in miami and do the ultrasound program, does someone knows any place?????? there are so many but i dont really know what to do i dont wanna wais time or money.

85 months ago

Sheena in Riverview, Florida said: I was about to give up hope and was looking into radiography as an alternative, which may still be a possibility, which I am actually torn between the 2 to tell you the truth. I have researched both extensively and basically don't know what to do. I am getting my car back tomorrow (HOPEFULLY??) and plan to visit the schools I am considering as soon as possible for both programs. I am excited because they are going to start building of a new hospoital on Big Bend and 301 here in Riverview in the spring which is like 5 minutes from my house and possibly a second as well on 301 which will replace South Bay Hopsital and they will be completed in about 2 years which would be great and possibly I could be working very CLOSE to home!!! It was good to hear people come from so far to go this school also. It's about an hour for me. I told my mom of another school which was like an hour and 45 minutes from here and she made the comment as to if I was going to stay there during the week and come home on weekends (I'm married w/ a 3 yr old). I thought it was funny, but I would do it to go to a good school. Some things in life take a little sacrifice to get what you truly desire. At least I am not the only crazy one to consider going to a school a little out of my way!!! Keep in touch and let me know how everything goes

Hello, did you find the school in florida for the ultrasound program??? Well im in miami and i AM looking for one =)

samantha in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

i'm about to start going to sanford borwn, i was wondering if thats we're you went or if you know of a better school to go to.

Minelly in Raleigh, North Carolina

85 months ago

Do not I repeat DO NOT GO TO SANFORD BROWN. Make sure that the school you go is accredited by CAAHEP

85 months ago

Hello everyone!!!!!! I wanna know how long does it takes to get an ultrasound degree????

vanessa in Miami, Florida

84 months ago

Star in Baytown, Texas said: So if a school is CAAHEP accredited, we should be able to take the ARDMS???

Correct..... Or you'll have to work for a year in the field first before you can apply to sit for the registry

ckimpton0206 in Orange County, California

84 months ago

if you need an accredited school in your area go to www.caahep.org if its not caahep its not accredited.

Tony in Boonton, New Jersey

84 months ago

Any board registered sonographers? i am willing to give my registry in the end of October. What material to study? and what to look out for?

84 months ago

EXACTLY!

84 months ago

Well since my last thing we're doing before i graduate is OBGYN so i was wondering i can just shoot straight for obgyn and the physics. Is that possible or? I must take physics first?

Anne in Whittier, California

84 months ago

You can take the OBGYN 1st then physics. You are only registered when at least physics is taken with a specialty. I suggest you do physics, however, because it is the hardest of all of the exams and since you are in the study mood, it is easier to concentrate on physics. Good Luck!

84 months ago

I just want to get one out the way and since i'm going to be studying ob/gyn for another 4 months. I was trying to knock this out the way and then take physics so i can put all my attention towards that.

84 months ago

listen to these people who are posting, do the physics first while its fresh in the head, if you dont have it fresh in the mind you will loose it fast. the ob-gyn will always be there. You will have a better chance at becomming registered quickly if you take the physics first. Good luck either way.

tony in Keansburg, New Jersey

84 months ago

I saw the passing rates and ur definitly right about Physics boards they said will change it by 2009.

84 months ago

yup by the summer.

Ines in Hialeah, Florida

84 months ago

Hi!

I was wondering...the only physics I know about is the pre-requisite...

...Is it that you continue learning more physics while you enter the program...?

84 months ago

I saw the passing rates and ur definitly right about Physics boards they said will change it by 2009.

Anne in Whittier, California

84 months ago

I also studied the Davies but be careful, it is full of mistakes and wrong answers. Lets just say that I studied Davies last, it was a bit helpful but I saw many wrong answers (at least 10 for physics and another 10 for abdomen). I was glad I knew the answers beforehand. So be careful!

84 months ago

So how exactly do you go upon studying for these exams? Have you passed any of the specialties? or Physics?

Tom in Norristown, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

Congrats!

Neliza Williams in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

84 months ago

Ines in Miami, Florida said: I have an interview with ATI in MIAMI, FLORIDA.

I will find out details about their sonography program.

They offer a program that doesn't even require HS diploma. Don't worry, I will ask before I leap according to your comments above.

ANYONE KNOWS AN ACCREDITED SCHOOL IN MIAMI OR ANYWHER IN FL?

Please do not waste your timet with ATI, I currently go there and going through some problems right now. When you go to the school to get information they will tell you a lot of different promises that they cant keep just to get you to sign in. Once they have you hooked in, you will find that the Ultrasound Program is Non Accredited through Caahep which means that you cannot use the credits in this school to continue your education else where or get a job since you can not take you ARDMS exams without a year experience. Then you will find your self in a "catch 22" type of thing. B/c you cannot take your test for the License if you do not have your year experience but no one will hire you if you dont have your license so basically you will be stuck in trying to find a way or maybe having to move far away from your family- if its even possible. We dont even have any good sites or may not have any sites to even do our clinicals to be able to graduate b/c no one wants to deal with ATI Students- you might get stuck doing your clinicals in an abortion clinic, which I do not agree with. Paying a lot of money with this school to just find out at the end that we cant use our AS Degree to get a technician job. So please do not and let everyone that you know that ATI is a horrible school to go to.

Brandi in Orlando, Florida

83 months ago

Stacy in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I'm currently attenting CFI, the Diagnostic Medical Ultrasound (DMS) program. I'm 10 months in and will be starting my externship in March. CFI's Echo program is already CAAHEP certified. The DMS program is new but they are in the process of establishing CAAHEP certification. However, one class has to graduate before they will approve. Luckily the Day class will finish before the Night class, therefore it will meet the requirements for our class. From what the director has told our class, we are well on our way and should know by next June. Our class doens't graduated until Octobe '08. The school is in Palm Harbor and we have students who drive from as far North as Citrus County and as far south as Sarasota. No one complains, just kind of accept it, plus some car pool. Good luck with your quest.

Stacey
Does your school accept credits from another school even though the school is not CAAHEP? How long is the program? How many hours of scanning do you get? How many scan test are you given? How many test are given in a week? What is grading criteria? I'm considering apply at this school and more insight to what it will be like is helpful. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deanna in Brooklyn, New York

83 months ago

tamuna in Brooklyn, New York said: please, would you tell me, where in NY are accredited ultrasound technicianshools?

NYU and Downstate have ultrasound programs and you walk away with a degree and are eligible to take your ARDMS right after graduation. I went to Sanford Brown NYC campus and the program taught me alot and I consider myself to be a really good tech, but finding jobs without your RDMS is nearly impossible. It's already hard enough to find jobs in NYC so to not have the credentials to back you up is going to make it even harder....
I've only got about 3 weeks left of my last clinical rotation and I've already started applying for jobs but almost every employer wants someone with their RDMS or 2-3 years of experience...*sigh*

Two Former Students of Maric in Palm Desert, California

83 months ago

sandra in Los Angeles, California said: Scott,

Thank you...yea well i messed up already because i first said i wanted to do ultrasound but they told me i needed to become a Medical Assistant so i enrolled and i have 4 months to go to finish but later i found out that u didnt need MA in other schools for ultrasound...but in a way is good im doin MA first because if I would of just enrolled in Ultrasound I would've thrown a lot of money in the trash...I'm so bummed now...But I was planning on doin LVN but at another school because I know they're really bad and expensive...They messed my friend's career up and well she didnt get certified as MA...If you dont mind me asking what is it exactly that happened to you???

Have you guys ever thought about a lawsuit against Maric? I know of many students filing lawsuits against those schools for making untrue statements and for unfair business practices, including myself and a few other former students. They are probably one of the worst vocational schools out there. I highly do not recommend Maric College.

Two Former Students of Maric in Palm Desert, California

83 months ago

Maric College lies about their programs in school. They make
untrue statements to potential students to get them to enroll.
Look into community colleges or Adult Schools or even ROP, they have
alot of the same programs for free or for a very small amount of money,
maybe between $500 to $600, compare to $11000 to $13000. All vocational
schools are bad, they are all for profit! They have ended meaningful graduation
requirements, graduating anybody.

Valerie in Los Angeles, California

82 months ago

Help you guys.I will be done with a 2 yr program in about 8 mos.I am stooped.It is not accredited!!! I had never heard of CAAHEP.I went to the most known site I could think of the US Dept of Education (yes the official site which I guess I thought was God of education)

www.ed.gov or the specific link to search accreditation is
www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/accreditation_pg4.html#Diploma-Mills
it says it is accredited by sending you to another link

ope.ed.gov/accreditation/
It says these programs are recognized by the US Dept of Education and I thought that was all that mattered.Never heard of Caahep til recntly.Why doesn't the Board of Edu add a warning that some medical field school will need Caahep

ashley in Bonifay, Florida

82 months ago

has anyone attended this school in atlanta for the distance program. institue if medical ultrasound?

Marlena McFann in Mesquite, Texas

82 months ago

I am currently just one week away from beginning school to eventually become an ultrasound tech/sonographer. Because the program is so advanced unless u have medical experience or prior prerequisites my school suggests I complete the 11 month medical assistant program(costs $13,000) (which is cool because you can begin work as a MA and your employer might pay for you to complete the DMS program!!) Today I just happened to be doing research on the job and got really nervious when I saw that most employers want a minimum of 1 year experience. Things only got worse for me when I cam to this forum and read the previous messages about people wasting time and money at a non accredited school and not being able to find employment. I immediately logged on to my school's website and I am just wanting to pass on the info that I got. The school that i am going to is Sanford Brown Institute and I would strongly suggest that being the school of choice!!
Sanford Brown is accredited by the commission on accreditation or allied health education programs(CAAHEP). Graduates of the 18 month program (costs $36,000)are eligible to take the RDMS offered by ARDMS. for more info go to their website at sanford brown.com I hope this helps someone!!

82 months ago

df12051 in Houston, Texas said: I am thinking of going to school for ultrasound and wnat to avoid what happened to you. What school did you attend that did not qualify you to take the registry exam.

Thanks

A good school to go to which is accredited by CAAHEP and u are eligible to take the RDMS exam offered by ARDMS upon completeion is Sanford Brown Institute. Try going to their website at sanford brown.com hope this helps!

82 months ago

Star in Baytown, Texas said: I would also like to know what school you attended, it will be very helpful since I am looking into this myself.

Thanks!

A good school to go to which is accredited by CAAHEP and u are eligible to take the RDMS exam offered by ARDMS upon completeion is Sanford Brown Institute. Try going to their website at sanford brown.com hope this helps!

Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.