Unaccredited schools

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (44)

win in Irvine, California

58 months ago

I have recently graduated from an unaccredited school where I was told it was easy to find a job in Ultrasound for the year requirement. Ha! I now know that it is nearly impossible to find a job. Does anyone have any suggestions for me. I have passed my SPI. I am good at what I do and I am not sure what my next step should be. I have sent out 20 resumes. I have gotten several responses but seem to lose out to other applicants with ARDMS. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

latoure in Sunnyvale, California

58 months ago

win in Irvine, California said: I have recently graduated from an unaccredited school where I was told it was easy to find a job in Ultrasound for the year requirement. Ha! I now know that it is nearly impossible to find a job. Does anyone have any suggestions for me. I have passed my SPI. I am good at what I do and I am not sure what my next step should be. I have sent out 20 resumes. I have gotten several responses but seem to lose out to other applicants with ARDMS. Thanks

If you had your bachelors you could have avoided the one year of experience requirement and been able to compete with your ARDMS credetials by now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

win in La Habra, California

58 months ago

latoure in Sunnyvale, California said: If you had your bachelors you could have avoided the one year of experience requirement and been able to compete with your ARDMS credetials by now.

Uh, Yeah I know that. The point is mute now. I was working per diem at an urgent care clinic and just got hired on full time. Started today. Peace...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Zeeshan in Corona, California

56 months ago

win, if you dont mind me asking, how much did they hire you for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

win in Temple City, California

55 months ago

I was hired for $22.00/hr. I work six days a week 48hrs. I really love my job and feel blessed to have it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

win in Aliso Viejo, California

55 months ago

The man who owned the clinical site I was at for externship opened an urgent care center. He asked me to start there per diem until he built up enough business for full time. That happened very quickly and I was hired full time. Other class mates of mine have gotten jobs by volunteering and then being offered a job. Also some have used recruiters to help them find leads. Just don't give up. Hard work will pay off. I always tell people that winners do the things losers don't want to do. Good Luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vanessa in Los angeles,ca in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

Hi Win,

Do you think I would have a better chance of finding a job in Ultra sound atttended an unaccredited school(Casa Loma) since there is a long waiting list from a community college? I am afraid of not find work after I graduated with a debt of $31k

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

vanessa in Los angeles,ca in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

I had a b.s in business degree

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

valerie in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

vanessa in Los angeles,ca in Los Angeles, California said: I had a b.s in business degree

Hi Vanessa, did you decide to go to Casa Loma? I am considering starting the program in September but like you am afraid I will not have as much luck finding a job as someone who went to an AA program. I live in the valley and there are no such programs here.

But you have a BS so you will be in a much position that I will

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CareerGuru in San Francisco, California

45 months ago

Congrats on the job!

Sarah
interview tips blog:
job-search-success-secrets.com/blog/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jgo in Torrance, California

45 months ago

Vanessa, I am also planning on attending Casa Loma's DMS program. I too have a BS degree. I was told I should be able to sit for ARDMS license test and was still doubtful. I decided to check the ARDMS website for myself and it is true. The 12 month clinical experience requirement will be towards the actual program and you do not have to work for 12 months so yes it is an advantage vs not having a Bachelors at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Orinda in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

I advise not going to Casa Loma. I have a B.S. They are very
disorganized with one ultrasound machine. I elected to go to a
school in Corona ,but they don't have any financial until probably Sept.If you can wait the tuition is about half and quality
much better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jgo in Torrance, California

45 months ago

Orinda, do you mind posting the name of the school? Corona is about an hour away from me and Casa Loma in Hawthorne is local for me but if price is half then I wouldn't mind driving. Casa Loma had 3 ultrasound machines when I went for my tour so I do not know which branch you have been to. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tash in Staten Island, New York

42 months ago

I cant take my registry because on my transcript my clock hours are not converted to credit hours. Can someone help me out here? How does an unaccredited school do that? Plus because of this I can never take my registry. I dont know what to do. Please if anyone can give me advice about this that would be great. Plus my school has been evicted. I bascially had to go through the state to get my transcripts along with my certifcate in order to send in my documents to ARDMS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

branfeni in Chatsworth, California

41 months ago

How do I get a volunteer position for Ultrasound? Can anyone help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

branfeni in Chatsworth, California

41 months ago

win in Aliso Viejo, California said: The man who owned the clinical site I was at for externship opened an urgent care center. He asked me to start there per diem until he built up enough business for full time. That happened very quickly and I was hired full time. Other class mates of mine have gotten jobs by volunteering and then being offered a job. Also some have used recruiters to help them find leads. Just don't give up. Hard work will pay off. I always tell people that winners do the things losers don't want to do. Good Luck to you.

How did they get the volunteering position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

odchen in Los Angeles, California

39 months ago

Jgo, are you a currently a ultrasound student from casa loma college? it will be great help if you can tell me how is the program so far, do you think it is worth of attending the school? I also have a bachelor degree? but I don't feel 100% sure I will be eligible to sit for ARDM exam. have you contact them(ARDM) .I just want to make sure we are 100% ok for ARDM exam.

Jgo in Torrance, California said: Vanessa, I am also planning on attending Casa Loma's DMS program. I too have a BS degree. I was told I should be able to sit for ARDMS license test and was still doubtful. I decided to check the ARDMS website for myself and it is true. The 12 month clinical experience requirement will be towards the actual program and you do not have to work for 12 months so yes it is an advantage vs not having a Bachelors at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Iam2D in Long Beach, California

39 months ago

Odchen - yes I am currently a student at casa loma. As far as the program goes, it is substantial and I feel like I am getting the education that I need to prepare me for registry. Yes, if you have a prior BA or BS you are eligible to sit for RDMS license, you fall under Prerequisite 3A. Which campus are you planning on attending and when are you starting?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

odchen in Los Angeles, California

39 months ago

Jgo, thanks so much for the info, I will attend in Anaheim campus and I won't attend until I am sure I am going to the right college, I only have a question regarding the externship from Casa Loma college, how many hours do you have to take per week? do they assign you during the morning, afternoon or night hours? is it a fix schedules or very flexible hours?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nhu in Chatsworth, California

39 months ago

win in Aliso Viejo, California said: The man who owned the clinical site I was at for externship opened an urgent care center. He asked me to start there per diem until he built up enough business for full time. That happened very quickly and I was hired full time. Other class mates of mine have gotten jobs by volunteering and then being offered a job. Also some have used recruiters to help them find leads. Just don't give up. Hard work will pay off. I always tell people that winners do the things losers don't want to do. Good Luck to you.

where can you find volunteering positions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nhu in Chatsworth, California

39 months ago

win in Aliso Viejo, California said: The man who owned the clinical site I was at for externship opened an urgent care center. He asked me to start there per diem until he built up enough business for full time. That happened very quickly and I was hired full time. Other class mates of mine have gotten jobs by volunteering and then being offered a job. Also some have used recruiters to help them find leads. Just don't give up. Hard work will pay off. I always tell people that winners do the things losers don't want to do. Good Luck to you.

where can i find a volunteering position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nhu in Chatsworth, California

39 months ago

where can i find a volunteering position?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

odchen in Los Angeles, California

39 months ago

Jgo, thanks so much for the info, I will attend in Anaheim campus and I won't attend until I am sure I am going to the right college, I only have a question regarding the externship from Casa Loma college, how many hours do you have to take per week? do they assign you during the morning, afternoon or night hours? is it a fix schedules or very flexible hours?

Iam2D in Long Beach, California said: Odchen - yes I am currently a student at casa loma. As far as the program goes, it is substantial and I feel like I am getting the education that I need to prepare me for registry. Yes, if you have a prior BA or BS you are eligible to sit for RDMS license, you fall under Prerequisite 3A. Which campus are you planning on attending and when are you starting?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Iam2D in Torrance, California

39 months ago

Odchen, Try to check if you can get in Platt College located in LA because they at least offer an AS degree vs certificate from Casa Loma that is 21 months long,. Platt is 20 months and includes seminar for ARDMS exam. just fyi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

odchen in Los Angeles, California

39 months ago

Iam2D in Torrance, California said: Odchen, Try to check if you can get in Platt College located in LA because they at least offer an AS degree vs certificate from Casa Loma that is 21 months long,. Platt is 20 months and includes seminar for ARDMS exam. just fyi

Thanks Iam2D, I lived in Irvine so I will be attending casa loma in Anaheim, I just worry about externship since I will be working full time from 6am to 2:30pm, do you think Casa loma can offer externship after 3 pm? how many hours per week for externship from your own experience that is required from the school??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Iam2D in Long Beach, California

39 months ago

They require 40 hours of externship for 6 months from 8-5 M-F. The program director from both campuses are the same so you might want to double check if they can schedule you after 3pm, I haven't heard of that happening yet. Don't believe anything they tell you unless it is written on paper. if it helps, they don't even know where to send students off until a week before externship so you have to be very prepared to quit your job or get a different work schedule.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

odchen in Los Angeles, California

39 months ago

Iam2D in Long Beach, California said: They require 40 hours of externship for 6 months from 8-5 M-F. The program director from both campuses are the same so you might want to double check if they can schedule you after 3pm, I haven't heard of that happening yet. Don't believe anything they tell you unless it is written on paper. if it helps, they don't even know where to send students off until a week before externship so you have to be very prepared to quit your job or get a different work schedule.

Thanks again for a very useful information, I also have one question regarding the skill that ultrasound tech need to have, does ultrasound tech need to write a lots of report that they need to have good solid English background?, do ultrasound tech need to have presentation skill? I am good at math and science and very detail oriented, but I don't speak perfect english as well as able to write good report(like college level writing). so I don't know if I am able to do this job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lindsay in Arlington, Texas

36 months ago

I did the DMS program at Casa Loma College. They have many more than one ultrasound machine. It was a great program. The classes are smaller, so you get that one on one from the teacher that is really nice. I too have my B.S. so I sat for the ARDMS and did not have to work a year before I took the test.
CLC is a great school. I attended the Van Nuys Campus and had a great experience!! :)
Definitely check into it and go on a tour. I know all three campuses (Van Nuys, Hawthorne, Anaheim) offer the program.

Good Luck!!! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lindsay in Arlington, Texas

36 months ago

Oh by the way...CLC is definitely an accedited program. I did all my research with the state and it is approved and accredited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

warlock in Torrance, California

36 months ago

CLC is not accredited by ARDMS, only by ABHES which means if you do not have a prior BS or BA, you do not get to sit for registry. In sonography, the only accreditation that matters is the one that the JRC-DMS approves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vaness in los angeles in Los Angeles, California

36 months ago

to Lindasay in Arlington, Texas. CLC is not an accredited by ASRDMS. Only their nursing program is accredited. get your facts traight. I ageed with warlock in torrance, ca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan in Canoga Park, California

33 months ago

HI in reply to the "CLC is not accredited by ARDMS, only by ABHES which means if you do not have a prior BS or BA, you do not get to sit for registry. In sonography, the only accreditation that matters is the one that the JRC-DMS approves."
i have a question i am planning to attend CLC i have my BA already would it be harmful for me to go to CLC or would it just be like me going to any other DMS school because i would be able to sit in the ARDMS test right after i finish the program please help !! Because CLC is not accredited by ARDMS does it make it worst? or would it not matter because i have a BA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Raquel Tapia in Maywood, California

32 months ago

Hi I'm interested in the DMS program the only problem is, I dont know what school to pick! I'm debating between 2 schools. It's between Platt college or Casa Loma College or is there a better school out there in LA or Orange county area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ryan in Northridge, California

32 months ago

Raquel Tapia in Maywood, California said: Hi I'm interested in the DMS program the only problem is, I dont know what school to pick! I'm debating between 2 schools. It's between Platt college or Casa Loma College or is there a better school out there in LA or Orange county area?

Don't go to either one. These are both unaccredited schools that will feed you the bull-ish of working for a year to able to sit for your boards. Unless you already have a Bachelors then by all means do it. Or if you have a 150% guarantee of having a job lined up after you graduate, then do it. If you have neither then stay away from any school that is unaccredited. It's simply not worth the time especially the $$$. If you are serious about U/S then check out the CAAHEP website and look for an accredited U/S program. I went this route and am paying for it dearly. I sincerely urge you and anybody else you might know interested in U/S to consider other options. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

E in Long Beach, California

20 months ago

Platt College in Alahambra is accredited. Not to disagree with you Ryan. Raquel, I too am dealing with the similar. I recently applied to Platt's DMS program and did not get accepted for the upcoming group starting in October. I am no considering going to WCUI in Bev Hills, Ca but I am very scared about going to the unaccredited school. Although ARDMS puts out that you can sit for your exams post school under pre-req 1 as long as you have the 12 months of work exp. The catch 22 is that the hospital, clinic, medical center, etc that you apply to will not hire you based on the fact that the DMS program you attended is not "accredited" I've done my homework inside and out. WCUI informed me about getting my CCI credentials first in RVS or RCS and ARDMS does reconginize those credentials to sit for the exams with no 12 months of work history but two things, 1-your specific area of study has to be in vascular or cardic echo. For me that doesn't work because I want to do a DMS program. 2-CCI is changing it's requirements starting in July of 2013 and unless I am close to graduation, which I am not. I would have to have 12 months of work exp as well. So it's a mute point for me and I am back to pre-req 1 on the ARDMS requirements.

Ryan in Northridge, California said: Don't go to either one. These are both unaccredited schools that will feed you the bull-ish of working for a year to able to sit for your boards. Unless you already have a Bachelors then by all means do it. Or if you have a 150% guarantee of having a job lined up after you graduate, then do it. If you have neither then stay away from any school that is unaccredited. It's simply not worth the time especially the $$$. If you are serious about U/S then check out the CAAHEP website and look for an accredited U/S program. I went this route and am paying for it dearly. I sincerely urge you and anybody else you might know interested in U/S to consider other options. Good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

E in Long Beach, California

20 months ago

Hello Win,
I am interested in knowing how things are going for you now. I am considering enrolling in an un-accredited DMS program at WCUI after my application was not accepted by Platt who is accredited. If you don't mine perhaps we can talk on the phone or off line via email at chilincharlie@yahoo.com. I've done all my home work with regards to ARDMS requirements, accredited vs non accredited, etc.

any feed back would be great.

E

win in Irvine, California said: I have recently graduated from an unaccredited school where I was told it was easy to find a job in Ultrasound for the year requirement. Ha! I now know that it is nearly impossible to find a job. Does anyone have any suggestions for me. I have passed my SPI. I am good at what I do and I am not sure what my next step should be. I have sent out 20 resumes. I have gotten several responses but seem to lose out to other applicants with ARDMS. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LoganJohn in Los Angeles, California

18 months ago

E in Long Beach, California said: Hello Win,
I am interested in knowing how things are going for you now. I am considering enrolling in an un-accredited DMS program at WCUI after my application was not accepted by Platt who is accredited. If you don't mine perhaps we can talk on the phone or off line via email at chilincharlie@yahoo.com. I've done all my home work with regards to ARDMS requirements, accredited vs non accredited, etc.

any feed back would be great.

E

Why did Platt College not accepted you? I'm waiting for acceptance from Platt and I really want to be in DMS program because they are accredited, Do you know how they select students for the program. I've passed the CPAT and HESI + interview with essay and now waiting for the call. I'm just anxious to hear from them and kinda nervous if they will accept me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

E in Long Beach, California

18 months ago

John,
I passed the CPAT and HESI, did my interview with essay. Platt sat on my application for over 3 weeks before letting me know. I would call the campus almost every other day over the course of 3 weeks after my interview and ask to speak with my rep. Josefina(Fina) Paz who would either not return my calls,not respond to my emails,or reply telling me I would have an answer by the next day or next,and never get back to me at all. when she did, she told me that the selection committee only got to some of the applicants and that they just missed my application and that they would get to it the next time the selection committee would meet. That went on for 3 seperate times before telling me that I was not chosen.

LoganJohn in Los Angeles, California said: Why did Platt College not accepted you? I'm waiting for acceptance from Platt and I really want to be in DMS program because they are accredited, Do you know how they select students for the program. I've passed the CPAT and HESI + interview with essay and now waiting for the call. I'm just anxious to hear from them and kinda nervous if they will accept me.[/QUO

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

E in Long Beach, California

18 months ago

John,
I passed the CPAT and HESI, did my interview with essay. Platt sat on my application for over 3 weeks before letting me know. I would call the campus almost every other day over the course of 3 weeks after my interview and ask to speak with my rep. Josefina(Fina) Paz who would either not return my calls,not respond to my emails,or reply telling me I would have an answer by the next day or next,and never get back to me at all. when she did, she told me that the selection committee only got to some of the applicants and that they just missed my application and that they would get to it the next time the selection committee would meet. That went on for 3 seperate times before telling me that I was not chosen.

E in Long Beach, California said: John,
I passed the CPAT and HESI, did my interview with essay. Platt sat on my application for over 3 weeks before letting me know. I would call the campus almost every other day over the course of 3 weeks after my interview and ask to speak with my rep. Josefina(Fina) Paz who would either not return my calls,not respond to my emails,or reply telling me I would have an answ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

E in Long Beach, California

18 months ago

John,
As the Oct start date was approaching and had no answer, I had no choice but to drive up to the campus one day becuase I could not get a return call to inform me if I was accepted or not. My sense of urgency was not welcomed when I showed up to find out what was going on. Ms. Paz had me wait in the lobby of admissions. Then comes out to tell me she will be right with me, leaves and does not return. After waiting for 10 min, the assistant admissions dir comes up to me to tell me that he will talk to me. Typical bait and switch. After sitting with this person who is obviously there just to collect a pay check from young naive applicants. I was given the same line that Ms. Paz gave me. I had to let this person know that I was not some 20 yr old high school grad that did not know what was going on. He also promissed to get back to me and did not.

LoganJohn in Los Angeles, California said: Why did Platt College not accepted you? I'm waiting for acceptance from Platt and I really want to be in DMS program because they are accredited, Do you know how they select students for the program. I've passed the CPAT and HESI + interview with essay and now waiting for the call. I'm just anxious to hear from them and kinda nervous if they will accept me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

E in Long Beach, California

18 months ago

So in the end John, they hold applicantions back to let those with work exp in the healthcare field or prior healthcare education ahead of those that have none. They don't advertise that but that is what they do. I was told after chasing them for 3 weeks that I was passed up by those individuals. I interviewed with Dr. Carro who was on her Iphone, answering emails, and grading papers while interviewing a perspective sudent. She didn't even look up once to make eye contact. The whole process was unprofessional and a complete waste of time. Unless you have prior work exp or education in healthcare. you will be passed up. Not worth the 35k. Go to a community college. I am waiting to start the program at a local cc. do your homework.

LoganJohn in Los Angeles, California said: Why did Platt College not accepted you? I'm waiting for acceptance from Platt and I really want to be in DMS program because they are accredited, Do you know how they select students for the program. I've passed the CPAT and HESI + interview with essay and now waiting for the call. I'm just anxious to hear from them and kinda nervous if they will accept me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LoganJohn in Los Angeles, California

18 months ago

E in Long Beach, California said: So in the end John, they hold applicantions back to let those with work exp in the healthcare field or prior healthcare education ahead of those that have none. They don't advertise that but that is what they do. I was told after chasing them for 3 weeks that I was passed up by those individuals. I interviewed with Dr. Carro who was on her Iphone, answering emails, and grading papers while interviewing a perspective sudent. She didn't even look up once to make eye contact. The whole process was unprofessional and a complete waste of time. Unless you have prior work exp or education in healthcare. you will be passed up. Not worth the 35k. Go to a community college. I am waiting to start the program at a local cc. do your homework.

Sorry to hear about all your trouble getting in to Platt College, It seems that they do this False Advertisement to lure people in. They should have told you right away about your chances of getting in if you have no prior healthcare background and not made you wait and gave you false hopes. I'm dealing with Fina and you are right about one thing she is only friendly when you 1st meet her but after you leave she won't return calls or email. The way you describe Dr. Carro's interview is exact!! She is grading papers, writing emails and talking to other students while I'm having an interview.
I just prepare myself not to get in and just go to community college route. I'm a Limited Permit X-ray/Back office with 12 years experience but that won't count for nothing if they decided to chose people with Bachelors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LoganJohn in Los Angeles, California

18 months ago

E in Long Beach, California said: So in the end John, they hold applicantions back to let those with work exp in the healthcare field or prior healthcare education ahead of those that have none. They don't advertise that but that is what they do. I was told after chasing them for 3 weeks that I was passed up by those individuals. I interviewed with Dr. Carro who was on her Iphone, answering emails, and grading papers while interviewing a perspective sudent. She didn't even look up once to make eye contact. The whole process was unprofessional and a complete waste of time. Unless you have prior work exp or education in healthcare. you will be passed up. Not worth the 35k. Go to a community college. I am waiting to start the program at a local cc. do your homework.[/QUO

I had my interview and exams last August, hoping I can get in by October 2012. They told me the October is full and they have 5 students on a wait list just in case somebody changes mind before the program starts,so they told me that I will be in February intake. They also said that they are opening more seats for DMS program next year, around 100.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Heidi in Oceanside, California

11 months ago

Hi!

I'm sorry about this, 7 months after your actual comment. I'm trying to apply to the same program and I'm kind of freakin' out about the HESI. is it really hard? Does it have a lot of physics? I will TOTALLY appreciate your help with this!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.