WEST COAST ULTRASOUND INSTITUTE: TOP SCHOOL AND NOT CORPORATE

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 357)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

can in Redondo Beach, California

58 months ago

you are better off waiting 3 years than finishing a course & not being able to find externship placement or a job & being in debt $30,000.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Lea Newland in Wildomar, California said: I say take it and keep looking while you work because you need the experience right now and the references, agree to the price but say once you are registered you'd like $25 per hour min as a registered tech. It's too low to begin with but in light of the fact that jobs are scarce especially for the newly graduated.

That is sad $15 an hour when you have a $30,000 debt. That is severely underpaid. Most echo techs make about $30 per hour in a hospital setting. Good luck to you

Lea Newland in Wildomar, California

58 months ago

can in Redondo Beach, California said: you are better off waiting 3 years than finishing a course & not being able to find externship placement or a job & being in debt $30,000.

Well in reality this is what's going on across the board CAAHEP or no, read this post from the other accredidation forum...just posted today.

"Hi everyone! My name is Mandi and I graduated from an ultrasound program in Dec of 2008. I sat for the AART-US and the ARDMS- Abdomen + physics and passed all. I have been looking for work for almost a year with no luck. Everyone says they want experience. But how do you get experience when no one will take a chance on you? I am originally from Buffalo, NY but I am now in TX. I have been looking in about 10 states for jobs with no luck! Does anyone have any ideas? I spent $45,000 in school with no way to pay back the loans. I dont want to give up on what I wanted to do. Any help would be appreciated!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Lponce22 in Whittier, California said: WOW that really sucks thanks about a month ago I was interested in the Ontario Campus but good thing I didnt make that decision, because I found out that you dont need to complete many classes for your degree in radiology. I only need 2 more classes. I'm going to Orange Coast College for Cardiovascular tech/ultrasound!!!

Good choice they have a good reputation.

58 months ago

can in Redondo Beach, California said: That is sad $15 an hour when you have a $30,000 debt. That is severely underpaid. Most echo techs make about $30 per hour in a hospital setting. Good luck to you

It's not me that was about, it is severely underpaid but you have to admit the area is flooded with techs that the people hiring are taking advantage and like the girl i just posted about "mandi" that is REGISTERED and STILL can't find a job, it's better to get the experience if it's being offered at this point. People moan and groan that they won't take lesser paying jobs because it's beneath them but when you have to feed yourself and it's a choice between $15 an hour or minimum wage to pay the bills at some other non-scanning based job it's better to keep your skills in-tact while you keep looking and getting experience in the meantime don't you argree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

You might want to volunteer in a local hospital, that might some doors of maybe being hired. Also alot of school loans could be deferred. Good luck keep knocking on doors and eventually one will open.

58 months ago

Well is one wants to take jobs for that little money is okay, but is severely underpaid. A physician gets medicare reimbursement for an echo $386.00 dollars. The other problem is that once someone accepts a $15 hr wage, it brings down the value of the job.

58 months ago

I so completely agree with you and know that but someone coming out of school has no real weight to argue with the doctor/supervisor , sure they can give fact and figure that they as a tech know the doc is making hand over fist for the protocols but they have no proven experience to back up their skill, they can't say i've done 800 scans last year all perfectly and made Dr.Greedy $1.2 million dollars gross because they did 12 echos a day 5 days a week, 261 days a year. Which is why i said they should agree only if they raise the wage when they become registered. You have to prove to the greedy docs that there is value in you.

58 months ago

Also I know if you did 12 echos a day all year that doesn't equal 800 it equals 4332... actually

LPonce22 in Whittier, California

58 months ago

Lea Newland in Wildomar, California said: Also I know if you did 12 echos a day all year that doesn't equal 800 it equals 4332... actually

lol you're funny. But you give great advise are you a tech? if so where did you graduate from or what school are you attending?

58 months ago

I'm not but I have a close personal friend i am going to school with and her husband has been one for 11 years and I have picked his brain quite a bit, he said for his first 2 years it was REALLY hard he was on call alot and had a full time job at a hospital he was lucky enough to get but it wasn't really full time because when it wasn't busy the hospital would send him home on-call but still that's not making enough money you know? He got his break when he proved to the hospitals head cardiologist that he could do perfect echoes even in very stressful situations and quickly and has since started working part time as an independant contractor for his office and has gotten a good work in at 3 other cardiologist offices in the area and rotates days between all of them making $45 an echo. Plus no more on-call at the hospital. But he stressed that it will be hard to get your foot in the door. I'm attending WCUI actually and so is my friend and according to her husband it's a fine place to go to school the machines are ancient but he said if you learn the dinosaur it only gets easier. It still amazes me that new machines will auto angle correct and auto focus etc...even the TGC's/ 2D gain etc don't have to be adjusted as much.

58 months ago

Furthermore i'd like to add that tenure doesn't stop docs from trying to wittle your hourly rate down. The tech i'm talking about he STILL gets the docs trying to adjust his per case rate because as you know medicare has cut costs in the recent past but STILL the docs make hand over fist and they tried a few times to use that to lower their hourly rate and because he does SO many echos AND fits extra patients in throughout the day he easily can ward off the pay cut because he knows exactly how much they are STILL making and that they wouldn't make that kind of money with any other tech, one day last week he did 22 echos, it was a long day and yes his arm is chronically in pain because of doing this but his problem is he never says no to the doc except of course when it comes to a pay cut.

58 months ago

I mean cardiologists must make more than a million dollars...the figures i quoted above were just for echoes and the docs do more than echo's....the fact that techs get less than $30 an hour is really ridiculous, and they rely so much on our investigative skills that you think they would appreciate that more....but nope........which is why i say Dr.Greedy. Granted their malpractice insurance must be through the roof...

LPonce22 in Whittier, California

58 months ago

WOW thats really awesome to know someone in the field thank you! I'm attending Orange coast college and I can't wait until I get into the classes I'm on the waiting list but I was looking to attend WCUI but I can't afford it I can barly make it with my bills and luckly only need 2 more classes to get my AA while I'm on the waiting list. What bum's me out is that I really want to do ultrasound but I can't because I have a full time morning job, and all the DMS classes are in the morning so i'm going for cardiovascular tech and hoping that when I work as a tech I can get a scheduled late in order to go back to school for DMS!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Well that's good I hope you make it in sooner than later! I hear you on the time of day, and the cost of WCUI for sure, that's unfortunate but especially if you are a guy you would be better of( I can't tell) it's better to do Echo than DMS in the long run so you aren't judged as much on your sex. Even so my friend's husband still asks to have a nurse in the room JUST IN CASE, that way a patient can't say he was inappropriate, and if they do there is a witness. Good luck to you!

CAN in Buena Park, California

58 months ago

Hi Actually the majority of echo techs in the industry are males.
But I do recommend you to attend a Community College such as Orange Coast to become an echocardiographer.

kathy in Davis, California

58 months ago

CAN in Buena Park, California said: Hi Actually the majority of echo techs in the industry are males.
But I do recommend you to attend a Community College such as Orange Coast to become an echocardiographer.

WHAT? I have been doing echos for over 27yrs and the majority of echo techs are NOT MALE! Having a nurse in the room is extra cost for the doctors, so actually its a tougher field for males to enter.
I went to OCC for the FIRST Echo classes held, long time ago...am done working, got burnt out, by doing so many echos, ended up with torn rotator cuff and had to have surgery, so word of advice, only do echo every 45 mins, and JUST SAY NO....

imageman in Swanton, Ohio

58 months ago

I am a male that graduated from a CAAHEP accredited school in August 09'. I have already passed my ARDMS registry exams and am a RDCS. So far, no jobs or any offers at all. I definitely know of one job that did not hire me because I was a male. The job market is very tough for echo techs right now. It is even worse for men.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

can in Garden Grove, California

58 months ago

kathy in Davis, California said: WHAT? I have been doing echos for over 27yrs and the majority of echo techs are NOT MALE! Having a nurse in the room is extra cost for the doctors, so actually its a tougher field for males to enter.
I went to OCC for the FIRST Echo classes held, long time ago...am done working, got burnt out, by doing so many echos, ended up with torn rotator cuff and had to have surgery, so word of advice, only do echo every 45 mins, and JUST SAY NO....

Hello Ms Davis I live in the city of Torrance and mainly all the echo techs around here are males. You are right about being burned out, but alot of doctors try to book echoes every 20 minutes. All they care about is money.

kathy in Davis, California

58 months ago

can in Garden Grove, California said: Hello Ms Davis I live in the city of Torrance and mainly all the echo techs around here are males. You are right about being burned out, but alot of doctors try to book echoes every 20 minutes. All they care about is money.

20 mins echo? That is terrible, most of patients i have scanned in clinic setting cannot even get undressed and lay on echo table in 10 mins! I know i have been in situations where the scheduler started giving me 30 mins between patients, I did it for LONG time, and got burnt out mentally and like i said, ended up having surgery on shoulder...the doctors need to realize that a 20min echo on ANY patient is not a GOOD ECHO. Am so glad to stop working as echo tech....miss the patients BUT not the doctors!
Oh i was paid well, but just think LONG TERM, i lasted over 20yrs, but am now in constant pain! Not worth the money! Good luck, and look on ARDMS website for TIME FRAME for adequate echo study time....45 mins...print it out and give to DOCTORS...LOL

chrisandtell in Los Angeles, California

57 months ago

has anyone of you attended an lvn program at WCUI beverly hills campus? do you know some guy named khadeer khan? if so, what did you think about him?

Christine Jones in Hammond, Indiana

57 months ago

Yeah, I checked into the LVN program at West Coast Ultrasound Institute in BH a while back. I met the guy Khadeer Khan. I felt kind of funny about him, so I did some research on him and the school before I signed up. Turns out he is a doctor from India, not licensed as an MD in the USA. He got his RN license in July 2006 and went to work for WCUI immediately.Doesn't look like he ever worked here in the US as a nurse. He is their Director of Education and their Director of Nursing. I also checked out the California Board of Vocational Nursing website. It's a great site.You may want to check it out, www.bvnpt.ca.gov It has the board Pass Rates posted for all the LVN schools in Calif. The pass rate for LVN graduates from WCUI is only 53%!, one of the lowest in the state of Califonia! I didn't want to waste my money at a place with such a low pass rate. You should look at the other schools in Ca. Find one where most of the graduates pass. You can't get a job as an LVN unless you pass that state board examination. Good luck at finding a good schools

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

can in Los Angeles, California

57 months ago

You are correct about Dr. Khan, he also teaches EKG at night for the echo classes. He is extremelly arrogant about being from India and how much more intelligent they are in their country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

steven c in Miami, Florida

57 months ago

imageman in Swanton, Ohio said: I am a male that graduated from a CAAHEP accredited school in August 09'. I have already passed my ARDMS registry exams and am a RDCS. So far, no jobs or any offers at all. I definitely know of one job that did not hire me because I was a male. The job market is very tough for echo techs right now. It is even worse for men.

I agree as well, I didnt get 1 job because i was male also.

57 months ago

Good that you passed your ARDMS. Keep checking with hospitals, even if you have to volunteer. GOOD LUCK AND BEST WISHES.

jcolome in Miami, Florida

57 months ago

steven c in Miami, Florida said: I agree as well, I didnt get 1 job because i was male also.

Look for jobs outside of miami, fl - plenty of echo jobs up north. I have lived in miami for 40 years and can't wait to get the heck out of here. What school did you attend ?

just curious -

steven c in Miami, Florida

57 months ago

I went to Sanford Brown Institute in Ft lauderdale.
I am thinking about moving.

57 months ago

I'm sorry to tell you but Sanford Brown has never been caahep accredited.

Only three school in the state of florida are accredited by Caahep

Central Florida Institute, Inc. - Palm Harbor, FL
Edison State College - Fort Myers, FL
Santa Fe College - Gainesville, FL

Gina in Spring, Texas

57 months ago

jcolome in Miami, Florida said: I'm sorry to tell you but Sanford Brown has never been caahep accredited.

Only three school in the state of florida are accredited by Caahep

Central Florida Institute, Inc. - Palm Harbor, FL
Edison State College - Fort Myers, FL
Santa Fe College - Gainesville, FL

Actually, there are 13 in the state of FL that are accredited. You can look on the caahep website for the accredited schools.

www.caahep.org/Find-An-Accredited-Program/

57 months ago

yes, but only three for Cardiovascular technology.

thanks

SHULDHAVEKNOWN in Los Angeles, California

57 months ago

I JUST STARTED CLASSES IN WCUI & I JUST DISCOVERED THIS WEBSITE & I SEE HOW MANY STUDENTS ARE IN EACH CLASS & IT SCARES ME BECAUSE I TAKE ALL OF THEM AS MY COMPETITION OUT IN THE FIELD. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THE SCHOOL WAS BAD WHEN THE ADMISSIONS REP LOOKED MISERABLE WORKING THERE.

57 months ago

You still have time to drop the classs without getting charged. I dont' know where you live, but Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa has an echo program. Good luck

57 months ago

SHULDHAVEKNOWN in Los Angeles, California said: I JUST STARTED CLASSES IN WCUI & I JUST DISCOVERED THIS WEBSITE & I SEE HOW MANY STUDENTS ARE IN EACH CLASS & IT SCARES ME BECAUSE I TAKE ALL OF THEM AS MY COMPETITION OUT IN THE FIELD. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THE SCHOOL WAS BAD WHEN THE ADMISSIONS REP LOOKED MISERABLE WORKING THERE.

Another problem that WCUI has. Classes are too crowded and there is not enough time to scan. Also they have previous students giving tests.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

WCUI sucks balls in Los Angeles, California

57 months ago

WCUI stands for We Con Uninformed Individuals, because that's exactly what they do. If all the students currently attending are more informed about the job outlook for graduates from their program or any other non-CAAHEP accredited programs they would ask for a refund asap. I would say 9 out of 10 graduates would never find a job and the few that do are for low paying doctors clinic. Maybe %1 percent will be able to land a hospital job if they are extremely lucky. I know I sound very negative but I graduated about 2 years ago from one of these unaccredited programs and believe me, their are so many of us who are just stuck with a big debt and unable to find work. If we had known how HUGE it is to attend a CAAHEP accredited program then no one in their right mind would attend one of these scam schools. I really hope the CARE bill will shut most of these schools down since you will have to be REGISTERED in the future to be able to work as a sonographer and that would negate there "work for one year then be eligible for the ARDMS" scam talk . I hate these schools with a passion. The owners,doctors,and program directors are just in it to rip us off and take our money. They know how the job market is for graduates of non-CAHEEP programs and yet they don't care. They will lie about how easy it is to find work and that the market is always in need of ultrasound techs and blah blah blah. Screw them all, and I believe they will get whats coming to them in the future.

JC

57 months ago

How can this happen ? There should be laws that prevent schools like this from operating.

I know of a few of them in Miami that are like this. They close doors and re-open under a different name.

I feel sorry for a lot of this students that don't know better.

S in Miami, Florida

57 months ago

Unfortunately no laws, I'm thinking we should get together and help the future students and shut some of these schools down, even if it means a class action suit, THEY are receiving goverment grants and have extremely low placement for jobs, its a waste of money for 38,000 grand. please repost and get the word out.

S in Miami, Florida

57 months ago

S in Miami, Florida said: Unfortunately no laws, I'm thinking we should get together and help the future students and shut some of these schools down, even if it means a class action suit, THEY are receiving goverment grants and have extremely low placement for jobs, its a waste of money for 38,000 grand. please repost and get the word out.

IF your in one of these schools now, print this out and show other students and get a refund. Or just ask for the % of students last year that have a full time job now??

JC

57 months ago

What's this care bill I hear about ?

abcsonography in Newport Beach, California

57 months ago

I too just applied to the Cardiovascular technician program at Orange Coast College... the wait list says two years but I would be delighted if I got into Fall 2010... anyone attending Orange Coast that is on the waiting list have any idea of what my chances are for Fall 2010?? I also made a website called www.abcsonography.com to keep in tune with other DMS and CVT people out there. Check it out! :)

GOOD LUCK! in Los Angeles, California

57 months ago

I WISH YOU ALL GOOD LUCK OUT IN THE FIELD!

57 months ago

Jason Garcia in Ontario, California said: No those school are corporate owned and they follow what there corporate office says WCUI is not Corporate and you can talk right to the owner and director of the campus when ever you see here walking around.

THE OWNER IS THE DIREECTOR OF THE CAMPUS...LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

WCUI sucks balls in Los Angeles, California said: WCUI stands for We Con Uninformed Individuals, because that's exactly what they do. If all the students currently attending are more informed about the job outlook for graduates from their program or any other non-CAAHEP accredited programs they would ask for a refund asap. I would say 9 out of 10 graduates would never find a job and the few that do are for low paying doctors clinic. Maybe %1 percent will be able to land a hospital job if they are extremely lucky. I know I sound very negative but I graduated about 2 years ago from one of these unaccredited programs and believe me, their are so many of us who are just stuck with a big debt and unable to find work. If we had known how HUGE it is to attend a CAAHEP accredited program then no one in their right mind would attend one of these scam schools. I really hope the CARE bill will shut most of these schools down since you will have to be REGISTERED in the future to be able to work as a sonographer and that would negate there "work for one year then be eligible for the ARDMS" scam talk . I hate these schools with a passion. The owners,doctors,and program directors are just in it to rip us off and take our money. They know how the job market is for graduates of non-CAHEEP programs and yet they don't care. They will lie about how easy it is to find work and that the market is always in need of ultrasound techs and blah blah blah. Screw them all, and I believe they will get whats coming to them in the future.

i LOVE THE ACRONYM U USED LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Dr. Emad is the director of education at the ontario campus Myra is the owner of the whole thing and I heard concord university owns the school from someone too..not sure if there is truth in that though

57 months ago

BTW about the CARE bill, I have read it and knew about it before attending WCUI, if the school is approved by the department of education it qualified but the bill never went through, at the time this was the 2007 bill though, since it has been rewritten for this congress they have not determined what certification will stand as the institution certifying the individuals must be NON-PROFIT and as far as I can tell ARDMS is for profit which means they either have to stop being for profit or everyone will have to recertify with some other registry that isn't for profit. Also in any case when it passes they have 18 months to create a body of people that decides who or what stands as the right way to be educated and become registered and after they decided they give some period usually more than a year to comply. So ultimately this will take a long time to be enforced, even the new mexico law and the oregon laws are not entirely in effect yet. While it will improve patient care it will still take awhile to go into effect so those that need to get registered that are graduated in the next year at an unaccredited school will still have time to get registered with ARDMS if ARDMS is still the registry of choice by then (if they get a job). I'm sure ARDMS won't be knocked off the pedestal as that is pretty much the one everyone requires at this point. Does anyone know for sure if they are non or for profit?

57 months ago

Myra is a very understanding women and does anything for her students but when i was in school she never went as much....dr. emad as well understanding but as an old graduate i always noticed that he stands really close to you.."personal bubble" lol maybe there all like that in his culture?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

WCUI IS OWNED BY A LOCAL PHYSICIAN IN BEVERLY HILLS AND HIS WIFE IS A NURSE THAT PLAYS SCHOOL DIRECTOR.

JC

57 months ago

I went to NST in 2006 and became a CCT - they charged me $17,000 for the 18 month course.

I saw an attorney, sued them and won. As a matter of fact, 9 of us took them to court. NST, now Everest Institute in Hialeah, Fl - gave each of us a refund of all charges.

The "director" of the school has since moved on to another technical school. I never liked the guy, he seemed shifty.

Whenever someone asks me about tech schools I tell them to avoid them like the plaque! I would love to park in the parking lot of these schools one day and tell them what they are getting themselves into.

You're better off going to Vegas and gambling all that money.

allison in Hemet, California

57 months ago

im so confused with all this stuff. I am currently a cna (nursing assistant) i was going to go for lvn then rn but i have realised the stress level these nurses go through for the pay is not even worth it. so i decided to go for ultrasound.now there is the problem with if you do not go to a school that is accredited you are pretty much screwed. then i look at it this way it will take me atleast three yrs just to get my AA in science to be even able to attend a credited school..then most have 2 yr waiting list..then 2 yrs to finish the program. and so many of these schools are a lottery with grades. so for me thats 7 yrs of schooling at the least. so i just cant figure out if i should just deal with the wait and possibly be in school for a minimum of 7 yrs or just go to wcui and chance possibly having to wait 1-3 yrs to finally be able to sit for the board. its a total catch 22. it really is a stressful thing. what would you do in my situation?

57 months ago

Allison,
Everything we do in life is a gamble even drinking milk (kids starting their periods at 6 from this right?) ....so with your background in medical that would likely help you but still it is a risk. You would likely find a job but on the flipside until you get the hours to get registered the pay will likely be under $20 an hour if it's full time and $25 if it's per diem. You could get lucky though I know people who have, if you have connections even better with people you work with that are in the field (doctors or nurses) to get a leg up in a hospital or private practice. Do you and would they help? If so WCUI is good but expensive if not I can't say because you can't get registered right after and you won't be able to without the hours or CAAHEP behind you? Have you looked into loma linda yet? They have a program too but it's expensive but not as expensive as WCUI I don' think in the long run. MSJC is a joke I tried there too and OCC the same, MSJC isn't even CAAHEP yet....but they act like it with the wait list I couldn't believe it myself actually.

57 months ago

Oh and san diego only takes 6 people a year..crazy..but then they can pretty much guarantee those 6 people jobs at least at their university medical center...

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.