WEST COAST ULTRASOUND INSTITUTE: TOP SCHOOL AND NOT CORPORATE

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (301 to 331 of 331)
Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7   

LJK in Los Angeles, California

28 months ago

california girl1 in San Francisco, California said: Is WCUI CAAHEP fully accredited? My advice is to ONLY apply to schools that hold this accreditation. For instance if the school has a wait list - it's a good thing! Don't take a short cut and go into an unaccredited program thinking it will pay off with some "extra hard work". It may seem like a good idea and a quick pay off, but trust me, you will not be able to get a job after you graduate. I know for a FACT, that major health care employers, specifically here in California will NOT HIRE graduates from unaccredited schools. (Unaccredited = no educational standards!)

I recommend you do more research outside of these Indeed forums. There are A LOT of posts here with misleading information - most likely created by recruiters from these unaccredited schools whose salaries are directly reflected by enrollment numbers.

Thank you for your response. Do employers really look for CAAHEP graduates? I thought they only required you to be a registered ARDMS. The private program I am considering told me that I can take the CCI exam if I start the program by July 1 of this year then I'll be eligible to sit for the ARDMS exam without working 1 year. Can you advise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

california girl1 in San Francisco, California

28 months ago

Yes, they really look at where you graduated! I believe there are only 6 accredited schools in California so employees are well aware of the accredited schools. For instance there are only 2 accredited schools here in Northern California and all the major clinics and hospitals will only hire graduates of those programs. Of course being registered is also a big part or having the eligibility to take the ARDMS without having to "accrue" hours.

Honestly, I don't really know much about CCI, as most job listings I have come across require ARDMS. I think it is the old registry where ARDMS is the newer registry? I don't know, I could be wrong… Do you have a bachelors degree? I've heard there is a loop hole where you can sit for ARDMS after graduation IF you have a bachelor degree. My advice - make sure you get ALL the information regarding eligibility to taking your boards. Like after you graduate are you eligible to sit for everything for ARDMS? Or just the physics part? Do you have to have so many hours before you can take certain boards? If so, this is a huge red flag! You should be able to sit for any section of ARDMS post graduation.

28 months ago

california girl1 in San Francisco, California said: Yes, they really look at where you graduated! I believe there are only 6 accredited schools in California so employees are well aware of the accredited schools. For instance there are only 2 accredited schools here in Northern California and all the major clinics and hospitals will only hire graduates of those programs. Of course being registered is also a big part or having the eligibility to take the ARDMS without having to "accrue" hours.

Honestly, I don't really know much about CCI, as most job listings I have come across require ARDMS. I think it is the old registry where ARDMS is the newer registry? I don't know, I could be wrong… Do you have a bachelors degree? I've heard there is a loop hole where you can sit for ARDMS after graduation IF you have a bachelor degree. My advice - make sure you get ALL the information regarding eligibility to taking your boards. Like after you graduate are you eligible to sit for everything for ARDMS? Or just the physics part? Do you have to have so many hours before you can take certain boards? If so, this is a huge red flag! You should be able to sit for any section of ARDMS post graduation.

That was very helpful. Thank you so much for your help. I will definitely continue with my research.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Does anyone know if having an AOS degree matters when getting employed or just being an ARDMS registrant the most important factor?

Has anyone taken the CCI exam to be eligible to sit for the ARDMS exam?

california girl1 in San Francisco, California

28 months ago

LJK in Los Angeles, California said: That was very helpful. Thank you so much for your help. I will definitely continue with my research.

Have you read the "Do not go to ultrasound school unaccredited by CAAHEP" forum? There is a lot of information there... If you are still considering WCIU here are some good questions to ask (copied from MCowan, embedded on p.45/46 in that thread.)

1. Insist on speaking to former and current students.
2. Insist on speaking to the program director (face to face)
3. Make the program director show you proof of at least two years of attrition, registry pass rate, and job placement.
4. If the program is not CAAHEP accredited ask thee PD why not?
5. If they say they are in the process, ask them when they submitted their self-study, and when their site visit is scheduled for. Have them show you proof.
6. Call the radiology director and/or ultrasound supervisor of all the local hospitals and clinics and ask them whet they think of the school and do they hire their graduates?
7. Check with the BBB, JRCDMS, and CAAHEP to see if they have complaints.
8. Get them to provide you a sample of their clinic sites (very important). You don't want to wind up an abortion clinic for 2 years.
9. Vet the program director, check their credentials. Google them. You never know.
10. NEVER EVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE TRUST AN ADMISSIONS REP. They are not your friends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

annoymous in Moreno Valley, California

26 months ago

I attend WCUI in the MRI AOS program and they are accredited and I love this school. Maybe if those of you who are taking the dms program have a problem then just leave and find another school. As a student in MRI we get the last of everything since its mostly ultrasound since its the name of the school.but even still I enjoy attending even if I drive an hour every other day to get there and 2 hours to get lab hours since there aren't machines at the school. So before you talk bad about the school take a look at how good you have it as opposed to other students in other programs. If you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything at all. I love WCUI and the insructors make learning fun. Sorry dms, MRI is where its at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Undecided in Los Angeles, California

26 months ago

Former and current WCUI students, please share your experience about this school and you job hunt. I'm considering this school (DMS/echo program) but it seems the field is saturated and even sonographers with experience are having hard time to find a job. I visited school several times, admissions/instructors paint great picture for sonographers( about 40% increase, baby boomers will need care and also Obamacare that will inrease number of patients ). However I have my doubts and postponed enrollment before I know all the facts.
Please tell all pros and cons about this school, how long it took you to land your first ultrasound job and how many are still unemployed. I'm not a 20 years old to have more experiments in life, I used to be a physician in my home country and need a job that can feed my family. I do not have time to go through CAAHEP accredited program, it will take years. Please advice, any input is appreciated.

unemployedtech in Gilbert, Arizona

25 months ago

Do not go to West Coast. It is a complete waste of your money and time. I graduated months ago and out of ALL the students that I know. About 150, only 2 of them have part time jobs. Run away fast! They are under review right now bc they are so shady and we can't even take our registry's!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Undecided in Los Angeles, California

25 months ago

unemployedtech in Gilbert, Arizona said: Do not go to West Coast. It is a complete waste of your money and time. I graduated months ago and out of ALL the students that I know. About 150, only 2 of them have part time jobs. Run away fast! They are under review right now bc they are so shady and we can't even take our registry's!

Thank you for your input!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmhbeauty in Murrieta, California

25 months ago

Does anyone have any info on Platt college in Ontario? I know the one in LA is accredited and the Ontario one is not. They both offer a bachelors in DMS. According to ARDMS if you go to a non accredited school who offers a bachelors in DMS you can take the test to get registered right away, same as if you are doing a certificated program that is accredited. The price different is double but the time is about the same seeing as most accredited schools want a good year of pre-reqs. I have a associates in business so I debating if it is better to do the year of pre reqs ( I will get for free with financial aid) and then possibly get into Loma Linda ( 32,000 for program) or is it better to try to get in Platt and pay the extra money. I believe it is still competitive but Im guessing less competitive then Loma Linda. I have a 3.0, Im 27 years old, I just want to have a direction of where I am going. Any advice would help. Ive done hours of research but investing time and a ton of money is scary

Kalia in Huntington Beach, California

25 months ago

kmhbeauty, I am struggling trying to figure out the same thing right now. I went to OCC and was told the waitlist was 5 years and that is AFTER I take an allied health information class. I also went to Cypress College and the lady told me that there is a chance I may never get into the program due to maximum application tries. I am so confused as to what school to attend and have wanted to do this forever. I was also looking into Loma Linda, but don't know anyone that has attended this school and program to get information from. If anyone has attended the DMS at Loma Linda, any information would be greatly appreciated!

kmhbeauty in Murrieta, California

25 months ago

I almost feel like it is a better route in CA to get your bachelors in either science or a "back up" in another field and then just go to a non accredited school. It is literally impossible to get into the accredited schools. I am too very confused on what to do. The scariest thing is putting out all the money and most likely not getting a job in the end. CA is just not the place to be right now for jobs. The economy is crap and will never be the way it use to. I use to be able to point to a place I wanted to work, most likely they were hiring, and I would end up getting the job. I wouldn't mind putting out the money back in the day because most likely I would get the job or get some how into the position. Ugh, its so sad.

Brian in Long Beach, California

22 months ago

In my opinion WCUI is not the problem, it's a legit school with good instructors.
The problem is that there are multiple ultrasound schools pumping out students like crazy, not to mention every medical job being flooded with applicants. If you aren't prepared to really fight for your job and spend 1-2 years doing so, don't waste your time and money, because in the end you'll just blame the school.

Brian in Long Beach, California

22 months ago

Anthony in Peterborough, Ontario said: True, but the school is not accredited by CAAHEP.
If you look through the majority of job listings for Sonographers anywhere in the United States, I think you will find that upwards of 90% of those employers want sonographers who graduated from accredited schools.
It's practically universal.

Anthony, I've looked through many job listings and I feel the opposite, very few mention CAAHEP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sirchancelot in Rochester, New York

21 months ago

Brian in Long Beach, California said: Anthony, I've looked through many job listings and I feel the opposite, very few mention CAAHEP.

It is not that they list CAAHEP, but they all know that an associates of science in echo, or other modality means you have twice the clinical hours that you do from a certificate program. CAAHEP programs have over a thousand hours of clinical. 6 full months. That is a big difference!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

OneMadAsHellStudent in Redondo Beach, California said: I'm very disappointed in this school. WCUI has the talk but not the walk. I loaned so much money to go through the mri program. I graduated with high grades and surely know what I'm doing. It is going to be 7 months after I graduated and have not found an mri job. This school and the staff there lies too much. Now I have to settle for a non-related mri job just to pay my loans. This is ridiculous because they are giving false information to students so they can register to this school. They told mri students that they could sit for ARRT after they pass their ARMRIT. I called ARRT and did clarification. In order to sit for ARRT exam, you need to attend radiology/xray school and upon completion of externship, you have to prove that you can do every xray studies efficiently even before you apply for the ARRT exam. This school is a total scam. Something needs to be done about it. And one more thing, AOS degree that they now offer there SERVES NO GOOD FOR YOUR RESUME OR JOB HUNTING because 95% of companies/hospitals will want Associates of Science, ARRT license not AOS or ARMRIT. We are imaging. We are not in the occupational studies category. The school and its main representatives need to get their information correct. I'm very upset because I put so much time, energy and money into this program and now I can't even practice mri. I'm reporting WCUI and Myra Chason to the Department of Education and the Better Business Bureau so an investigation will be done. A lot of students who graduated from here especially at the Beverly Hills Branch CAN NOT find an mri job. We need our money back.

I went there 5 years ago. Myra is a con artist as is Don. No one wanted me as a grad from there. They lied about their placement rates. Going there really screwed up my life financially. I was never able to find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

just starting in Glendale, Arizona said: Does Myra know that her lab coordinator ,in charge of all the labs, is NOT ARDMS certified at all! He just passed his SPI a couple months ago after failing it 2 times before.
How can an instructor not be certified but be responsible for grading students lab tests. What makes him qualified????

If you are talking about Don, He failed the ARDMS multiple times. Myra even mocks him behind his back and they are supposed to friends!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

Bacibear in Burbank, California said: As I said in an earlier comment, look at the current job openings. They all required 2-3 years experience. There are virtually no jobs for Graduates. I applied to a position for a Hospital in Burbank. A good friend of mine knows the hiring manager, and personally handed my resume and cover letter to him. He told my friend that he received 100+ applications, MANY with 2-3 years experience. So, even with an inside contact, I could not even get an interview.

When I went to West Coast, they said that 85% of the students get jobs. That number is based on old info. Since the economy collapsed, employees can be very choosey.

So, unless you have a relative or friend that can open doors, be prepared for a job search that may stretch into years.

That 85% figure was ALWAYS a lie. Very few graduates from WCUI are sought after and get jobs. NO CAAHEP, and only half the clinical hours of a CAHEEP AAS degree program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Azia G from L.A. in Monterey Park, California

18 months ago

Tech1 in Encino, California said: I am a student at WCUI and am SHOCKED!!! by what I have been reading on these forums! I have no idea where all of this venom is coming from. I am in the middle of my dms program and was told about this forum by someone in the class. None of us have any idea who is writing these things, but it is ridiculous and i dont like it because it makes me upset that a couple people are tyring to sabotage my ability to get a job. i know that it mostly matters how good i can scan but i dont think it helps when you have people hating on the school all the time.
it seems like people who are angry dont look into anything thenselves and expect things to just be given, like jobs.

i just hope people do their own research and decide things for themselves. dont just listen to admissions reps or this forum, go to the ardms site, call a worksite.

also i just want to say that i lik wcui because it is not a corporate school that only cares about money. it is family run and i definitely like that and can feel it. thanks

Hi did you finish school yet, and you found a job or even an internship. i really want to go to this school but i dont want to invest all this money with a bad outcome. thank you for helping...

Azia G from L.A. in Monterey Park, California

18 months ago

kim tran in Rosemead, California said: Ive been graduated from this school for almost 3 yrs and couldn't find a job till now cuz I dont have any experiences. No experiences>>>> No job >>>>>can't sit for ARDMS.

Hi kim have you sat for the ardms exam yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lizzie in La Puente, California

17 months ago

I graduated from this school June 2013 a few months ago, I was able to sit for the cci rvs right after I graduated(which the school paid my fee after I passed the exam the first time! $350) I passed the cci and that is a pre req for the ardms. I took the ob and passed. I got hired at a hospital Oct 31st 2013 and now I am currently working on taking my abdomen. I attended the Ontario campus. I put all my effort into this school and got back a lot of support from my instructors. What I saw was that if you put in the work you get what you deserve. If you don't plan to working hard then you better hope you know someone that can get you a job before you even plan to start the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Azia G in Los Angeles, California

16 months ago

Lizzie in La Puente, California said: I graduated from this school June 2013 a few months ago, I was able to sit for the cci rvs right after I graduated(which the school paid my fee after I passed the exam the first time! $350) I passed the cci and that is a pre req for the ardms. I took the ob and passed. I got hired at a hospital Oct 31st 2013 and now I am currently working on taking my abdomen. I attended the Ontario campus. I put all my effort into this school and got back a lot of support from my instructors. What I saw was that if you put in the work you get what you deserve. If you don't plan to working hard then you better hope you know someone that can get you a job before you even plan to start the program.

Hi Lizzie I have a few questions do you think you could email me... Btw I start school on march 31st I'm really anxious, thank you. Aziagenovia@yahoo.com

RN in Canyon Country, California

15 months ago

To be honest it just seems to easy to get into this school, seems to me like they just let anybody in so why is it not flooded with people? Does everyone else know something you don't? Also why do they let you in to a delicate career so easily? They are putting peoples lives in just anyone's hands? Is it because they just want your money? That would make me question their ethics. Also why would anyone go to a non accredited school I would say this might not be the best choice it all sounds shady.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Azia G from L.A. in Monterey Park, California said: Hi kim have you sat for the ardms exam yet?

Didn't she already say she can't sit for ardms? I hope you're not one of the school employees cause that makes me question how much attention you pay, how aware you are and if you really think about things before taking actions...cause you just asked her a question which was the last sentence...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

BranP in Porterville, California said: Hi everyone,

All your posts are very interesting. I'm looking to get into the DMS field as well, and all the schools in Cali have a wait list, and to be honest...I'm not that patient. I have a A.A. degree in Health Information Management, does that help me as far as not needing to do the "extra 12 hours" of externship? Or does it NEED to be a BA? Also, I've heard from EVERYONE to not go to a school thats not accredited, but is this correct? Ugh so much confusion! Anyone's answers would be helpful!

If you have a high GPA there is no wait, I got accepted on my first try to the only school I applied to...yup I was that confident I'd get in to one of the best nursing schools in my area...why? Because I worked hard on pre reqs for a highly competitive GPA, you want something good you gotta earn it...nothing good comes easy be patient and work hard or don't be patient but work even harder

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Brian in Long Beach, California said: In my opinion WCUI is not the problem, it's a legit school with good instructors.
The problem is that there are multiple ultrasound schools pumping out students like crazy, not to mention every medical job being flooded with applicants. If you aren't prepared to really fight for your job and spend 1-2 years doing so, don't waste your time and money, because in the end you'll just blame the school.

Why would you spend 1-2 years looking for a job that's ridiculous! Nobody wants you after that long out of school without practice, you must be a recruiter cause that is the dumbest thing I've heard, prepare to spend 2 years looking for job after graduation....you minus well go to a legit school and spend the extra 2 years getting the right education with an accredited school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SoCal guy in Chandler, Arizona

11 months ago

West Coast is not looking out for any of its students (former, current or future) best interests. I know many people that attended this school and almost all of them do not have careers in their studied field. The staff is very misleading when enrolling and very unhelpful after you enrolled. In fact the staff is a revolving door. No one stays working there for any length of time. It is hard to believe that they are able to keep their accreditation. I would highly recommend that anyone that is thinking of attending and giving their money to this school talk to graduates from west coast. Not just the one that the staff suggested, but all the rest of the graduates that can give you a real clue of their experiences.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

odchen in Irvine, California

9 months ago

newby in Canoga Park, California said: I am attending the fall quarter for the first time at the Beverly Hills campus. I too have a Bachelors degree. I checked with the ARDMS website that shows that I do qualify to take the ARDMS right after graduation because of my degree. We should both be OK.

Hi Newby, did you completed WCUI? and you mention you had Bachelors degree, did you able to sit for ardms?? because you still need to have let trainer and doctor to sign CV form to you which is one of requirement under preqe (3B). please email me your commen at www.odchen@yahoo.com

9 months ago

Lizzie in La Puente, California said: I graduated from this school June 2013 a few months ago, I was able to sit for the cci rvs right after I graduated(which the school paid my fee after I passed the exam the first time! $350) I passed the cci and that is a pre req for the ardms. I took the ob and passed. I got hired at a hospital Oct 31st 2013 and now I am currently working on taking my abdomen. I attended the Ontario campus. I put all my effort into this school and got back a lot of support from my instructors. What I saw was that if you put in the work you get what you deserve. If you don't plan to working hard then you better hope you know someone that can get you a job before you even plan to start the program.

Hi Lizzie

I am applying the WCUI today and the admin rep told me I will be able to sit for ardms right after graduation because of I have my BS degree. it is true, do you have BS/BA degree? I need your con and pro on your pass experience at WCUI. Thanks

9 months ago

Bacibear in Burbank, California said: I graduated from WCUI and have my RDCS. Before enrolling, I suggest you look at Sonography online job listings. They ALL want you to have PAID EXPERIENCE. The fact is in the current economy, your competition is 100's of experienced sonographers. From talking to other people, the graduates who get jobs either have connections in the medical field or go to the top externship sites. WCUI has a real shortage of good quality externship sites.

You don't have to believe me - take a look for yourself at the online job postings.

so, did you have a BS/BA degree before attending WcUI?, if so, does ardms let you take the exam right after you graduate?

Thanks

Kevin Catuna in phoenix, Arizona

8 months ago

Was wondering how the mri program is like at wcui. Can anyone help or have any info?

Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.