How do I get hired?

Comments (12)

Tammy in Tampa, Florida

53 months ago

I want to know what the secret is to getting a job in ultrasound! I have been out of school for OVER a year. I have passed the registry, and still no one will hire me. I can work in ANY state; I have applied to EVERY state, and I still get rejected. I either get "we are going with someone with more experience" or "we are going with someone who is a better match" I am tired of all this crap. There are TONS of ultrasound jobs out there, but no one wil hire ME. The longer I have been out of school, the harder it is going to be, because I haven't scanned in so long. Can ANYONE please help me? What do I need to do to get my foot in the door? How can I get someone to give me a chance?

arie 2010 in Taylor, Michigan

53 months ago

Tammy in Tampa, Florida said: I want to know what the secret is to getting a job in ultrasound! I have been out of school for OVER a year. I have passed the registry, and still no one will hire me. I can work in ANY state; I have applied to EVERY state, and I still get rejected. I either get "we are going with someone with more experience" or "we are going with someone who is a better match" I am tired of all this crap. There are TONS of ultrasound jobs out there, but no one wil hire ME. The longer I have been out of school, the harder it is going to be, because I haven't scanned in so long. Can ANYONE please help me? What do I need to do to get my foot in the door? How can I get someone to give me a chance?

Dont feel bad I graduated in 2008 and I still havent found a job in ultrasound:(

Alex in New York, New York

53 months ago

I know how difficult it can be to get a job in ultrasound fresh out of school. Very important is that you're registered. I don't know if you already have, but try staffing agencies that specialize in health care jobs. My big break in ultrasound came through a staffing agency.
Also, if you can, try to volunteer somewhere. If you haven't scanned in a while, you may lose scanning skills.
It's a tight job market right now.
Good luck to you.

stephanie in Franklinville, New Jersey

53 months ago

Thanks for asking that question. I am in the same situation. I graduated in 09 and recently became registered with ARDMS..I am not sure whether to look in NJ for jobs or go out of state.

I like the idea of volunteering, will have to try that..any other ideas

barnesbunchx7 in Lenoir, North Carolina

53 months ago

Are you all coming from accredited schools? Just curious as to why also! My guess which of course I can be wrong is that if you are not they want want someone who is with more qualifications and other applicants have it. I would think that is why. You may be RDMS certified but they want something else. Maybe someone with a BA or they are hiring their interns who did training with them. I know when I had to do a job shadow for school all the working techs were previous interns from an accredited school they work with every year! Im also going for a BA just to push me to the top of qualifications in hopes of finding a job faster.

Tammy in Tampa, Florida

53 months ago

barnesbunchx7 in Lenoir, North Carolina said: Are you all coming from accredited schools?

I graduated with an Associate of Applied Science Degree, and my school is CAAHEP accredited. I have my ARDMS in abd. I don't applied to jobs that I am not registered in. I apply to jobs that state they are looking for RDMS in abd, or registry eligible (entry level). I think my school kind of screwed my chances up for getting hired...Most of the people in my class got extern sites in hospitals or places where there might be an opening for a new grad. I was put in a little clinic, where there was one guy who did it all. He did echo, ultrasound, xray, and osteo scans. There was only one room for ultrasounds, and they were not looking to hire anyone else. I think 3 or 4 people in my class of 15 did not get hired from their site. But I think that I may be the only one from my class who is not working as a tech. My school does not offer any help as far as refresher classes. I took it upon myself to take a course at another school for one week, just to get scanning again. I honestly don't know what else to do.

Tammy in Tampa, Florida

53 months ago

barnesbunchx7 in Lenoir, North Carolina said: Are you all coming from accredited schools?

I graduated with an Associate of Applied Science Degree, and my school is CAAHEP accredited. I have my ARDMS in abd. I don't applied to jobs that I am not registered in. I apply to jobs that state they are looking for RDMS in abd, or registry eligible (entry level). I think my school kind of screwed my chances up for getting hired...Most of the people in my class got extern sites in hospitals or places where there might be an opening for a new grad. I was put in a little clinic, where there was one guy who did it all. He did echo, ultrasound, xray, and osteo scans. There was only one room for ultrasounds, and they were not looking to hire anyone else. I think 3 or 4 people in my class of 15 did not get hired from their site. But I think that I may be the only one from my class who is not working as a tech. My school does not offer any help as far as refresher classes. I took it upon myself to take a course at another school for one week, just to get scanning again. I honestly don't know what else to do.

Wondering in Clearwater, Florida

53 months ago

Tammy in Tampa, Florida said: I graduated with an Associate of Applied Science Degree, and my school is CAAHEP accredited. I have my ARDMS in abd. I don't applied to jobs that I am not registered in. I apply to jobs that state they are looking for RDMS in abd, or registry eligible (entry level). I think my school kind of screwed my chances up for getting hired...Most of the people in my class got extern sites in hospitals or places where there might be an opening for a new grad. I was put in a little clinic, where there was one guy who did it all. He did echo, ultrasound, xray, and osteo scans. There was only one room for ultrasounds, and they were not looking to hire anyone else. I think 3 or 4 people in my class of 15 did not get hired from their site. But I think that I may be the only one from my class who is not working as a tech. My school does not offer any help as far as refresher classes. I took it upon myself to take a course at another school for one week, just to get scanning again. I honestly don't know what else to do.

Did you go to CFI or HCC? I heard HCC will let you know of any openings they hear of. I'm thinking about going to HCC.

Wondering in Clearwater, Florida

53 months ago

Tammy, did you go to CFI or HCC. I hear HCC will let their students know of any openings they hear of.

Tammy in Tampa, Florida

53 months ago

Wondering in Clearwater, Florida said: Tammy, did you go to CFI or HCC. I hear HCC will let their students know of any openings they hear of.

I went to CFI

M in Montrose, Colorado

52 months ago

Tammy, it's not just you who is having difficulty finding a job in ultrasound. The field is COMPLETELY saturated in the United States. When I was looking for a job, I applied as far away as Alaska and still got rejected for not having enough experience!

I attended a CAAHEP accredited school and was registered through the ARDMS within a month of graduation. I was fortunate enough to find a hospital that was willing to take a chance on a new grad - but only after filling out almost 100 applications all over the United States. Of my graduating class (13 people), I'm the only person who has a full-time job. Two have part-time jobs, a couple more have PRN jobs, one went back to the job she had before she went into ultrasound school, but over half of them have nothing.

I feel very fortunate to have a job at all.

Tammy in Tampa, Florida

52 months ago

M in Montrose, Colorado said: Tammy, it's not just you who is having difficulty finding a job in ultrasound. The field is COMPLETELY saturated in the United States. When I was looking for a job, I applied as far away as Alaska and still got rejected for not having enough experience!

I attended a CAAHEP accredited school and was registered through the ARDMS within a month of graduation. I was fortunate enough to find a hospital that was willing to take a chance on a new grad - but only after filling out almost 100 applications all over the United States. Of my graduating class (13 people), I'm the only person who has a full-time job. Two have part-time jobs, a couple more have PRN jobs, one went back to the job she had before she went into ultrasound school, but over half of them have nothing.

I feel very fortunate to have a job at all.

Thanks. It helps to know that there are others out there, but it is also very discouraging.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.