What is the best school in Atlanta, Ga

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 856)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

tracey in Atlanta, Georgia

83 months ago

i had a sis in law who went to sanford brown she said they are a terrible school. it took them to long to verfiy that she went there so she could get a job that the job turned her down. what are some good medical schools in atl. if you really want to make money go to the denta field. Denta; hygenist

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Aknight in Overbrook, Kansas

83 months ago

RDMS tech in Atlanta, Georgia said: While not accredited, I have worked with students at Atlanta's Institute of Medical Ultrasound and heard that they are going through the accreditation process in 2008. I als found out that they will be the only training program in Atlanta, and possibly Georgia that offers a dedicated online training curriculum,, and is seeking full CAAHEP accreditation in general/OB, Cardia as well as vascular.

The students I have worked with had ultrasound fundamental far advanced to those of students I worked with form both Sanford Brown, and IAMP.

It may be worth you while to consider this as a viable option, as they have a very favorable reputation already.

I would agree with AVOIDING Sanford Brown, who used to be Ultrasound Diagnostic School (UDS) that had a bad reputation that has followed it to its new namesake, Sanfor Brown.

I have considered Atlanta Medical Institute of Altrasound, but I found that you need to have at least a degree in Radiography already to even attend that school. It seems like all the good reputable schools either have a waiting list or you need to give up a arm and a leg to attend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

SASHA in Ellenwood, Georgia said: DEKALB MEDICAL IS A GREAT SCHOOL WITH A HOSPITAL BASED PROGRAM. NO COMMUTING FOR CLINICALS-EXCEPT FOR MAYBE GOING TO THE HILLIANDALE CAMPUS. THE COST IS ABOUT $6000 FOR 2YRS INCL TUITION/BOOKS/UNIFORMS--FREE PARKING-I PERSONALLY GRADUATED FROM THIS SCHOOL ABOUT 5 YRS AGO--ON A SCALE OF 1-10 I GIVE DEKALB A 9+.
BEST WISHES

Hi SASHA, Did you have to have a degree in Radiography already or 2 years of Allied Medical training first before you attended DeKalb Medical? And is this program fully accredited? and do you earn a Degree in Ultrasound or a certificate? Sorry for asking so many questions at once, but I am considering moving to Georgia when I get out of the Army and I want to Study sonography. Can you please give me some pointers if you have any. It seems like all the good schools have a waiting list or you have to have a ragiography degree already or have 2 years of Allied Medical traing before attending. Please, Please if you have any info and are willing to share I would be greatful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Caution notice in Atlanta, Georgia

83 months ago

Be advised that there is a HUGE legal class actio lawsuit developing against IAMP, I belive by students who have not been able to have their clinical site traing fulfilled, and consequnetly jobs.

BEWARE as it relates to IAMP, and SANFORD BROWN!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Iamp offers no financial aid. You have to take out an alternative loan that has high interest rates. The School is 35,000 in Atlanta and the New York Program is 25,000

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wasted Money in Atlanta, Georgia

83 months ago

Please let me know who is starting the class action suit agains IAMP. Many from my class (including me) would like to join in on it for the same reasons.

tamoune in Suwanee, Georgia

83 months ago

why are you considering filing a class action lawsuit against IAMP? any input will be appreciated.

Caution notice in Atlanta, Georgia

83 months ago

It is not me, but 16 students presently at the school have not been able to have IAMP address their clinical rotation needs. Natually tis compromised the quality of their training, and this becomes a factor when it comes to job placement.

Wherever you apply, drop in (sanford brown, iamp, institute of medical ultrasound)and see for your self and speak to the students who are there.

Don't let a pressured sales pitch obsure the relaity of what you will embark on.

Good luck!

lostnconfused in Columbus, Mississippi

83 months ago

Tamoune;
The best option for you is to contact the school itself, mainly the career service office or whoever could provide statistical facts about their recent graduates and go from there.
By the statistics I mean ask about the graduate survey that they SHOULD have, reports that they should have about graduates who sit for the exam, reports on how many that actually passed AND were able to find employment within a 6-month period.
Also try to find some Alumni/graduate emails or contact info-I've always found that graduates ALWAYS provide details opinions on the school-good or bad. Graduates can give you a better grasp of what the school is like than a current student, IMO.
And although I think the "Caution Notice" is a representative spamming for another school in Atlanta, he/she had a point- don't be pressured by any pitch until you get all your facts lined up about the school and other schools in the area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Roswell, Georgia

82 months ago

O.K. I am going to make a FACTUAL comment. Sanford Brown's GENERAL ULTRASOUND program is accredited. Go to caahep. It is listed there. The cardiovascular program is not. It is just the general program. I am thinking about attending, but I am still nervous about getting a job even if I will be registered. Despite sitting the ARDMS and passing- Will employers still be turned off that we attended this school?

Donna in Alpharetta, Georgia

82 months ago

I had an ultrasound a month ago and asked the tech the same question.She said she attened SB and to STEER CLEAR... she said she would definitely NOT recommend anyone go there. She said that there reputation is not good at all in the profession.

rachel in Ellenwood, Georgia

82 months ago

Does anyone know about Grady School. What is the best school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

I just read a comment about someone that went to get an ultasound and the tech there said she went to Sanford Brown. She said to stear clear from there. My opinion is if she got a job then anyone that could pass the certification can get a job. I dont think that an employer is going to care where you went to school as long as your certified and you are qualified for the position. All Employees are going to show you the ropes at their place of business. Its up to you to be professional enough to want keep that position. Thats how I feel. I am not in the field yet, but I am looking to persue that career path. Not sure what school I want to attend as of yet.

82 months ago

You are being idealistic that "All employees will show you the ropes". That ABSOLUTELY does not happen. They want you to be up and running and be able to do all the exams and very fast - to the point the seasoned techs do. You will be hard pressed to find other than that in ATL since there are many schools here and they have their pick of who they will hire.

jamie

82 months ago

tamoune in Suwanee, Georgia said: can you please tell me what advise did they give you regarding iamp @st. joseph hospital. i was interested in getting into their ultrasound program. any information on this school will be appreciated, current student, former students. thanks in advance

I finished the didactic portion 6 months ago, and I am still waiting to be placed. The school keeps saying they will be accredited for years. If I were you I would not attend this school. Take your time and money elsewhere. I hope this helps.

jamie

82 months ago

tamoune in Suwanee, Georgia said: can you please tell me what advise did they give you regarding iamp @st. joseph hospital. i was interested in getting into their ultrasound program. any information on this school will be appreciated, current student, former students. thanks in advance

I finished the didactic portion 6 months ago, and I am still waiting to be placed. The school keeps saying they will be accredited for years. If I were you I would not attend this school. Take your time and money elsewhere. I hope this helps.

82 months ago

Your right but I mean that you are not going to go in an astablishment and just start doing stuff like you been there for years. I mean they will show you how their business is ran and of course if you have questions you can ask. You are not going to go in on your first day and pick up a chart or call a patient in the exam room and know what you are suppose to do with them. That particular business may have a certain way they want you to handle a patient.

lostnconfused in Columbus, Mississippi

82 months ago

Wasted Money in Atlanta, Georgia said: You are being idealistic that "All employees will show you the ropes". That ABSOLUTELY does not happen. They want you to be up and running and be able to do all the exams and very fast - to the point the seasoned techs do. You will be hard pressed to find other than that in ATL since there are many schools here and they have their pick of who they will hire.

I definitely agree. And if there is a negative history with a school's graduates at the workplace, then that's a negative against you before you even step in the door.

82 months ago

Actually, yes, they do expect you to pick up a patient's chart and start the exam as if you've been there. They also expect you to read the chart and write a report following the exam without any help. This is what you learn on clinicals. That is why you need to go to a good school and hopefully they assign you to a clinical site that takes interest in you and not just to fulfill time. You need to make the most your time on clincals so that you can do the job when you are done. If a new employer has to basically teach you everything from scratch you will be let go for sure.

Wanda3738 in Atlanta, Georgia

82 months ago

tamoune in Suwanee, Georgia said: anyone have any information on iamp in atlanta,ga. currently enrolled for next year. any information will be greatly appreciated. thanks a million

Student at the Saint Joseph Campus in Atlanta GA. I would not advise you to attend this school, I have been waited for 7 months for clinical internship. Only to find out that clinical placements is not guaranteed. There are so many students waiting to be place that its ridiculous. They dont have enough clincal site for each student, so you have 3-7 students interveiwing for one slot. This is the only school that requires students to interview for a clinical site. Trust me find another school that is accredited.

82 months ago

Caution notice in Atlanta, Georgia said: Be advised that there is a HUGE legal class actio lawsuit developing against IAMP, I belive by students who have not been able to have their clinical site traing fulfilled, and consequnetly jobs.

BEWARE as it relates to IAMP, and SANFORD BROWN!!!!!

I am a student of the institute of allied medical profession and i would love to be apart of the class action suit can you please tell who is sueing

82 months ago

Wasted Money in Atlanta, Georgia said: Please let me know who is starting the class action suit agains IAMP. Many from my class (including me) would like to join in on it for the same reasons.

I am student of the IAMP and I have a Attorney who is will to take a Class action suit, so you are still interested please let me know. my email address is sgaire28@hotmail.com

82 months ago

I will contact you. There are several students that want to as well. I'll be emailing you shortly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Wasted Money in Atlanta, Georgia said: Please let me know who is starting the class action suit agains IAMP. Many from my class (including me) would like to join in on it for the same reasons.

Please contact me at sgaire28@hotmail.com ASAP. I am in persue of one and my attorney needs a list of students who have the same complaint. I have been waiting for 7 months to be place into clinicals. I am tired and just want my money back. This is school is the BIGGEST FRAUD. I have some students from my class who is will to take part. If ur interested dont hesitate to respond

82 months ago

May I give out your email to the other students and what do we need to do. I emailed you already so we can take this off the blog.

Wanda 3783 in Atlanta, Georgia

82 months ago

Wasted Money in Atlanta, Georgia said: May I give out your email to the other students and what do we need to do. I emailed you already so we can take this off the blog.

Yes you may give out me email to other students

82 months ago

Wasted Money in Atlanta, Georgia said: May I give out your email to the other students and what do we need to do. I emailed you already so we can take this off the blog.

All need is for each student to provide their First and Last name

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Trevor, Wisconsin

82 months ago

Hi everyone, I have been reading all the blogs & must say it is very overwhelming. I'm from Wisconsin & have been trying to find a school for ultrasound tech...very hard, I have not been in school for 21 yrs., everyone pushes for better education, but yet they make it so hard to get in to these schools. They want you to have credits or prior college under your belt, how do they expect older people looking to change careers who do not have that? Is all this info. just based on schools in Atlanta, and if so, I wonder if it does happen in others states also. I don't want to give up, but I'm very frustrated, someone please reply-thx. much.

Donna in Alpharetta, Georgia

82 months ago

Hi Dana,
I am also trying to return to school after more than 20 years. Due to a divorce I am finding that I have to reinvent myself in order to make a living. It has been dificult for me as well,however I would urge you to move forward and not give up. I am currently trying to get into a county technical school now to do some of the prerequisites for the Ultra sound field. I have not been accepted yet as I have to take a Math placement test (Copass) before I can be accepted. I am currently studying for that,as I have not done any serious Math for years (i.e. Algebra etc.). I hope to take the test in the next few weeks, and I am hoping that even if I do not do well on it that they will just reccommend that I take some additional Math courses. At least I will be in at that point. I just think it is going to be a long and slow process. I feel like you probably do, that I don't have a whole lot of time to waste due to my age,but I think you just have to be patient. One step at a time . Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Trevor, Wisconsin

82 months ago

Hi Donna, thx. so much for responding, that's probably what I will have to do also. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one going back to school at my age, your right, it will be a long, slow process & I do need to be patient, I just hope it will be well worth the wait-good luck to you also. Dana

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hosp RDMS in Atlanta, Georgia

82 months ago

Grady has a good program. Another option in Atlanta is the Institute of Medical Ultrasound. I have worked with students from both who had no problems getting hired following completion of their program. I do have concerns as it relates to the quality of training at Sanford Brown, and IAMP from what I have seen, and heard from other friends working at other facilities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

tracey in Atlanta, Georgia

82 months ago

i am trying to find a good medical field to go into. who have the best pharmacy tech program.

Sandy in Cumming, Georgia

82 months ago

Donna in Alpharetta, Georgia said: I do not attend Iamp... I am returning to school after many years and Rebecca was telling me of her experience at that school... I am trying to enroll now at Gwinnett Tech for the pre-reqisite courses for Ultra Sound with hopes of eventually tranferring to Coosa Valley in Rome... From what I have read on this link I think I personally need to make the commute to Rome and go to an accreditted school. I can not afford to get this wrong at this point in my life. Even with price of gas I will have to make that trek to Rome when the time comes if that is what it will take. I have only heard god things about Coosa Valley so far and the price is right... even with the cost of gas in my opionion... The Coosa Valley web site states tjat most students from Atlanta commute to Rome..... I am at the very begining stages tso I will update you on my progress... Donna

Donna:
I am facing the loss of my job after 30+ years and have been thinking of starting a new career in ultrasound technology. I am just beginning my research tonight. From everything I've read on this forum, Coosa Valley seems like a viable choice. I've still got alot of research to do, but perhaps you/we could find a few people to carpool with?

ultra in Cookeville, Tennessee

82 months ago

I'm considering IMU as my backup plan if I don't get accepted into either of 2 programs here in TN that I'm applying for next year. They are both accredited programs and I will have my B.S. in May. Has anyone here gone throught there program or are you in it now?

Sandy in Ellijay, Georgia

82 months ago

Wasted Money in Atlanta, Georgia said: I agree with the comments about UDS (bad reputation) BUT the IAMP school is very expensive and after attending their ultrasound program NO ONE will hire you in the Atlanta area without being registered. Unless you can sit for the registry (have a BA) you are wasting your money. Most people I know from class have only a PRN job, had to move out of state to get a job, knew someone personally that hired them or was hired at their clinical site (rare). It is worth the drive to Rome, GA for Coosa Valley's program. The IAMP school strings the students along telling them that "any day now" the CAHHEP accreditation should happen and that "they are working on it".

Rumors I hear are about a lawsuit like what happened with the old UDS (now Sanford Brown) school.

My daughter is suppose to start the IAMP course this April and now we are very worried about putting out the money and winding up with no employment. Would you recommend that we try another school? We are anxiously awaiting anyone's opinion as they want the tuition really soon! Thanks in advance for your help.

lostnconfused in Mississippi

82 months ago

I would try another school-one that is accredited.

82 months ago

The only problem is she wants to get started after waiting this long to get in. After reading all the comments, it seems there is long wait time for any school in the Atlanta area. We will call around today to see where she can go asap. Thanks

Hosp RDMS in Atlanta, Georgia

81 months ago

Sandy in Ellijay, Georgia said: My daughter is suppose to start the IAMP course this April and now we are very worried about putting out the money and winding up with no employment. Would you recommend that we try another school? We are anxiously awaiting anyone's opinion as they want the tuition really soon! Thanks in advance for your help.

You should also consider Grady and Institute of Medical Ultrasound (IMU). I believe IMU is about to start their next class in April. Both schools are located downtown in Atlanta. Grady may have a waiting list from my past experience due to its lower price.

Haley in Alpharetta, Georgia

81 months ago

Does anyone one know what the tuition is at IAMP in Atlanta? I can't seem to find that info anywhere!!

Thanks in advance

81 months ago

My daughter starts at the end of the month and it is 30,000. It was only 25,000 less than a year ago when she first started considering it so don't know when it could go up again.

tamoune in Duluth, Georgia

81 months ago

IAMP fee is $30,000

Candice in Atlanta, Georgia

80 months ago

I have to say I am very confused I have read through all of the blogs and it is very discouraging for me. I am interested becoming and Ultrasound Tech. I was considering Sanford Brown but after reading the reviews I see not many people recommend that school. I don't have a bachelor or two year degree and it seems as though if I don't go to an accredited school then it's just a waste of time, well Sanford Browns seems to be the only accredited school in ga that you don't have to already have a degree to get into. Are there any other options for me?

I am considering going to school for medical assistant to get a two degree in then attending Grady’s program. Is this a good idea? Anyone have any other suggestions??

Candice

Donna in Cumming, Georgia

80 months ago

Did you consider Coosa Vlley in Rome. They have a 2 year wait from what I understand, but I am going to get srarted on the prerequisite courses at Gwinnett Tech and hopefully transfer at some point .That is if the gas prices come down or I can get a smaller car to commute in. I don't think Grady requires a degree if I read their web site correctly ... you do have to take the SAT and have a minimum passing score I believe. I think their program is very competitive also. I would strongly urge you to consider anywhere except Sanford Brown. I have spoken with several students from that school and none had anything nice to say about the program.
Good Luck.

rachel in Rex, Georgia

80 months ago

Candice in Atlanta, Georgia said: I have to say I am very confused I have read through all of the blogs and it is very discouraging for me. I am interested becoming and Ultrasound Tech. I was considering Sanford Brown but after reading the reviews I see not many people recommend that school. I don't have a bachelor or two year degree and it seems as though if I don't go to an accredited school then it's just a waste of time, well Sanford Browns seems to be the only accredited school in ga that you don't have to already have a degree to get into. Are there any other options for me?

I am considering going to school for medical assistant to get a two degree in then attending Grady’s program. Is this a good idea? Anyone have any other suggestions??

Candice

\have checked dekalb medical, they dont have ultrasound but they do have radiology. u could go there for radiology and then go back to grady for a year for sonography.

KIRSTON in Alpharetta, Georgia

80 months ago

WOW, I HAVE READ THROUGH EACH POST AND WAS AMAZED ON THE INFORMATION THAT WAS PROVIDED..... IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO BECOME AN RADIOLOGIST HERE IS GEORGIA.......THERE'S A WAITING LIST EVERYWHERE, I CURRENTLY ATTEND GTC, AND THEY ADVISED ME THAT EVERYWHERE IS COMPETITIVE,I HAVE DONE RESEARCH ON SCHOOLS IN ATHENS TECH,THERE'S A WAITING LIST.. SOMEONE TOLD ME ATLANTA TECH COLLEGE IS NOW OFFERING RADIOLOGY, BUT IS IN THE BEGINNING STAGES....IN ORDER TO GET INTO GRADY, YOU MUST ALREADY BE A CERF RADIOLOGIST. I ALSO WAS GOING TO TRANSFER OVER TO COOSA VALLEY,I HEARD THEY HAVE A DIFFERENT WAY OF ACCEPTING STUDENTS INTO THE PROGRAM ITS ON THERE WEBSITE...AT THIS POINT IM LOOKING INTO RADIATION THEREPHY, OR JUST NURSING....I WOULD ADVISED EVERYONE JUST TO CONTINUE TO DO YOUR RESEARCH. good luck

Marina kaminskaya in Vancouver, Washington

80 months ago

When you are an ultra sound employ how much do you get paid an hour,month,year,day?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kerry in Pompano Beach, Florida

79 months ago

Does anyone know the cost of iamp in delray beach florida. Is this also accredited?

lutie in New York, New York

79 months ago

Kerry in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Does anyone know the cost of iamp in delray beach florida. Is this also accredited?

IAMP schools are not accredited anywhere for DMS. In NYC the tuition is $25,000. I would look for an accredited school

Tired of the show in Duluth, Georgia

79 months ago

Hosp RDMS in Atlanta, Georgia said: Grady has a good program. Another option in Atlanta is the Institute of Medical Ultrasound. I have worked with students from both who had no problems getting hired following completion of their program. I do have concerns as it relates to the quality of training at Sanford Brown, and IAMP from what I have seen, and heard from other friends working at other facilities.

The Institute of Medical Ultrasound is a complete waste of time and money. It has changed owners twice and the turn-around with staff and faculty is ludicrous. For example, in less than a year, it has lost 100% of it's employees. It is also not accredited and does not appear to be heading that direction. Job placement has been next to nil for recent graduates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

lamont miller in Saint Louis, Missouri

79 months ago

did anyone who took the ultrasound course from sandford brown got a good job or had any problems finding a job.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.