What is the best school in Atlanta, Ga

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 856)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

lamont miller in Saint Louis, Missouri

74 months ago

So did you ever found a job and what year did you graduate i am currently attending sb school and am suppose to go into cardiovascular next year.I dont want to waste $30,000 if i cant find a job.The teachers at the school are very knowledgeable about what they are teaching.allot of them or if not all i think of degrees.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

madelyn in Ga in Schaumburg, Illinois

74 months ago

im in Atlanta Ga i want to find a ultrasound school, that is not Sanford Brown

Sarah in Fayetteville, Georgia

74 months ago

I have been accepted into the institute of medical ultrasound in Atlanta Ga. Just wanted to know what people think about this program. I plan on entering the General Sonography program. Just want to make sure that it is a good school and doesn't have a bad reputation like some of the other schools in atalnta. All information is helpful currents students, Previous students, people who have worked with students from IMU etc... Thanks!!

Wasted Money in Atlanta, Georgia

74 months ago

Congratulations on being accepted. I did not go to that school (went to IAMP) and I only recommend your new school. Both of my clinical sites had students from your school and they start their clinical right away and the students were so prepared and were given a lot of pertinent well designed materials. Good luck.

Wasted Money in Atlanta, Georgia

74 months ago

Sarah, I live in your area if you want to give me your email I will contact you off the website. There is also a new school that opened in Fayetteville HWY 54 E www.idhsp.com (i think) - i saw it in the citizen paper.

74 months ago

Thats good to hear!
Thanks,
Sarah

74 months ago

what about sanford brown is it a good school

74 months ago

Wasted Money in Atlanta, Georgia said: Sarah, I live in your area if you want to give me your email I will contact you off the website. There is also a new school that opened in Fayetteville HWY 54 E www.idhsp.com (i think) - i saw it in the citizen paper.

I have already looked into that school. It looks like it is going to be a great school. The only problem is it is brand new the frist class starts 09/22/08. The only issue I had with the school and is the reason why I will not be attending it is becuase they missed the list for new schools so you have to take out a personal loan it can not be student loan. So you are not able to do deffered payments.

74 months ago

lamont miller in Saint Louis, Missouri said: what about sanford brown is it a good school

I have never attended Stanford Brown but, from what I have read on here it has a really bad reputation. And it is really hard to find a job after attending that school. But, like I said That is just what I have heard?

CONFUSED SENIOR in miami- gardens, Florida

74 months ago

I plan on moving out to atlanta for college with my friends. they all are planning to attend clark atlanta university but they don't have programs that really interest me. therefore im looking for ACCREDITED schools the specialize in the health care field particularly in the field of ultrasound. ADVICE IS REALLY NEEDED!!!

Abbey in Atlanta, Georgia

74 months ago

Sarah, I am interested in IMU as well, I was curious as to what their requirements are to be accepted??? Any advice??? I figured you would know best since you have been accepted. Also, is it a 2 year course? What is the tuition? Thanks!

Abbey in Atlanta, Georgia

74 months ago

Sarah, I also forgot to ask, is IMU an accredited school for the Ultrasound Technician program? Sorry about all the questions! Thank you again!

74 months ago

Okay don't worry about all the question I was the same way!! In order to be accepted you have you have to have 60 credit hours or be a graduate an allied health program such as medical assistant or have a bachelors degree in any major. The course is 18 months. it is both online and in the class room. The tuition is 25,500. From what I have heard the school is very good however; they are not accredited. They are in the process of that now. I am not sure how long they have been trying to become accredited. let my know if you have anymore questions. I don't mind at all.

D in Decatur, Georgia

74 months ago

That sounds great about the school except it not being accredited. I have done a little homework for Georgia and I know there are only 5 accredited schools in Georgia. Grady which only takes about 5-10 people per year and you ahve to have gone through there 2 year radiology program first or have at least a 2 year degree in allied health. Coosa Valley: which has a current 2 year waiting list b/f they will go into accepting the people that are appling this year. Sanford Brown: which has a bad rep. but I know they are trying to get out of that. The bad rep will take a min to change but that is the ONLY program in Georgia that takes 58 or students per year. The cost is about 10,000.00 more than the school you are speaking of. But think way your opions on all of them, but every sonographer I have spoken to say you need to be at an accredited school, so that you can get reg. and if you don't attend an accredited school you have to go through a lot to be reg. look on the web site

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

D in Decatur, Georgia

74 months ago

Sara in Duluth, Georgia said: Theres one Community college in Coosavalley,Grady offers,and also'Institute of Medical ultrasound'.Google the addresses and contact info.Dont consider
SanfordBrown,I finished my course there.I didnt like it they only concentrate on getting there money.I doesnt have good reputation, you may not get job if you didnt get hired as an intern.Thats my experience with that school.

Do you have a job now and how long did you graduate from Sanford Brown. I am considering it and I would like to know your outcome. I have spoken to a guy that says the school is seriously doing a turn around and have new people in big places. how long did it take you to get a job.

D in Decatur, Georgia

74 months ago

Donna in Alpharetta, Georgia said: Thanks so much for your help Rebecca. You are readingmy mind. I am seriously thinking about ccmmuting up to Romeif gas does not go any higher. Ther are under $5000 and I am glad to hear that you think they have good reputation. I had to have an ultra sound done this week and I spoke with the technician and she had gone to SANFORD BROWN Atlanta and highly DID NOT reccommend that school.
How much math is involved in this program. I am returning to school after many years and I am somewhat concerned about my ability to keep up with the math. I know I will have to work harder than most as Math does not come easy to me.
Thank you so much for your imput.

See it is funny how she highly didn't recommend it but they all have jobs. I know for some the money makes them mad, but consider that Sanford is a private instit. that doesn't require all the classes that COOSA Valley requires. Sanford pays for books and uniforms. My biggest concern in finding a job and the young lady you are speaking of has a job and the rep was bad, the man that works there that works as the career cord. told me but they are trying to change, I guess it is the lesser of two evils b/c iamp is not accredited. There is over a two year waiting list at COOSA valley and grady only accept 5-10 per year

74 months ago

D in Decatur, Georgia said: That sounds great about the school except it not being accredited. I have done a little homework for Georgia and I know there are only 5 accredited schools in Georgia. Grady which only takes about 5-10 people per year and you ahve to have gone through there 2 year radiology program first or have at least a 2 year degree in allied health. Coosa Valley: which has a current 2 year waiting list b/f they will go into accepting the people that are appling this year. Sanford Brown: which has a bad rep. but I know they are trying to get out of that. The bad rep will take a min to change but that is the ONLY program in Georgia that takes 58 or students per year. The cost is about 10,000.00 more than the school you are speaking of. But think way your opions on all of them, but every sonographer I have spoken to say you need to be at an accredited school, so that you can get reg. and if you don't attend an accredited school you have to go through a lot to be reg. look on the web site

Right in order to sit for you registry you have to either attend a accredited school, have a bachelors degree, or have a allied health program degree. If you have none of these and attend a non accredited school after competition of the program you have to work for one year as an sonographer and then you can sit to take your registry

mary in Atlanta, Georgia

74 months ago

Kathi2 in Atlanta, Georgia said: I am an Ultrasound student @ IAMP. I know who "Wanda" is - not her real name.
She has had academic problems - she waited for a clinical because she REFUSED several sites. Seems like she created her own problems, not IAMP.

But IAMP is not an accredited school.

mary in Atlanta, Georgia

74 months ago

Rebecca in Tampa, Florida said: I attended IAMP on the St. Joseph's campus. Many of the students in my class had been out of school for 10 years. They all passed but would tell you that you won't pass without serious dedication to the program! Thanks,
Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Since they are not accredited with caahep, how did your class do at getting jobs?

D in Decatur, Georgia

73 months ago

mary in Atlanta, Georgia said: But IAMP is not an accredited school.

Yes, I have found many people do not always tell the truth about the school and not telling exactly there part in the situation, they are in. I am trying to get in the health field now so when it comes time to get a job after i greaduate i will be able to get a job easier. I am forced to go to Sanford Brown b/c Grady only take 8-10 people per class and you have to have either a degree or go through their rad. program (2 years), Coosa Valley has a crazy waiting list and then they are becoming more competitive in getting into the program and the other two accredited schools are far awsy. I know I have heard nothing but neg. about Sanford Brown but I have no choice, if I want to start school a.s.a.p.

D in Decatur, Georgia

73 months ago

No they are not and that is one of the reason I choose not to consider them. I was speaking of the accredited schools. I just didn't see me spending all the money for a school that was not accredited. sanford brown is the most expensive of them all.

mary in Atlanta, Georgia

73 months ago

i feel exactly like you. there is another alternative though, a school that is accredited is offering the couse online for atlantans. the clinicals will be done here also.

mary in Atlanta, Georgia

73 months ago

Sara in Duluth, Georgia said: Theres one Community college in Coosavalley,Grady offers,and also'Institute of Medical ultrasound'.Google the addresses and contact info.Dont consider
SanfordBrown,I finished my course there.I didnt like it they only concentrate on getting there money.I doesnt have good reputation, you may not get job if you didnt get hired as an intern.Thats my experience with that school.

are you working now? and how long did it take? are you registered?

D in Decatur, Georgia

73 months ago

Sarah, what year did you graduate from Sanford Brown, and do you work now. I know the rep is bad but right now if I really want to go to school for ultrasound they are my only hope. Coosa Valley has a two year or more waiting list and they are now on a competitive program. Grady only takes 5-10 students a year and you have to complete the radiol. program first or just a degree in the allied medical field. You say they were concern with the money, did you pay out of pocket or did you pay with student loans and pell grants

D in Decatur, Georgia

73 months ago

Thanks Mary, I am going to look them up now.

Thanks

Oh do you know if they accept fin. aid or is it out of pocket

D in Decatur, Georgia

73 months ago

what school is online that is accredited. i haven't found one?

angel in Atlanta, Georgia

73 months ago

try ashworth university it in georgia www.ashworthuniversity.com

Scott in Phoenix, Arizona

73 months ago

D in Decatur, Georgia said: what school is online that is accredited. i haven't found one?

There are a number of online accredited schools. You can follow this link to get a list of them www.sdms.org/career/distancelearning.asp#dms.

I have been doing alot of research and have decided on attending the Institute of Medical Ultrasound in Atlanta Georgia. I would love to hear from anyone who is attending or has attended the college that could provide any insight into the school. I have applied and have been accepted into the program starting in October but have some concerns about the school only being around for a few years.

D in Decatur, Georgia

73 months ago

The institute of Medical Ultrasound in Atlanta Geogia, is it accredited b/c I looked it up and didn't see them. Where is located?

73 months ago

No, the Institute of Medical Ultrasound is not accredited. It is located in Atlanta, GA right across the street from Georgia Tech. Are you looking for an online school? If so, there are a number of them located across the country. The problem I have found is that it is generally the students responsibility to find their own clinical sight. I thought that it was going to be difficult, but after a few phone calls was able to line one up.

My understanding of the accredation issue is that if you already have a bachelors degree and graduate from an unaccredited school you are still eligble to sit for your registry exam right after graduation. If you pass the exam you would be just as employable as someone who attended an accredited school because employers are really only interested in hiring people that have passed the registry exam and don't care what school they attended. The other issue is that any classes you take at an unaccredited school would not be transferable to any other school in the event you wanted to transfer schools or continue your studies into another specialty area at another school.

D in Decatur, Georgia

73 months ago

Yes, from my understanding in order to sit for the reg. there are several criterias. One is grad. from accredited school, or worked in the field (which is hard if you are not reg.) Having your bach. I think is also a way. It is on there website. I agree with you, if you are reg. is what the employer wants to see, however, according to all the information I am reading, the school matters. I am forced to go to Sanford Brown if I want to start school this year. I am going to make the best out of it, do MY BEST, and pray for the best. Good luck. See if you can sell yourself in finding your own externship site you should have no problem getting a job. I hope it is that easy for me.

rtr in Dumont, New Jersey

73 months ago

D in Decatur, Georgia said: Yes, from my understanding in order to sit for the reg. there are several criterias. One is grad. from accredited school, or worked in the field (which is hard if you are not reg.) Having your bach. I think is also a way. It is on there website. I agree with you, if you are reg. is what the employer wants to see, however, according to all the information I am reading, the school matters. I am forced to go to Sanford Brown if I want to start school this year. I am going to make the best out of it, do MY BEST, and pray for the best. Good luck. See if you can sell yourself in finding your own externship site you should have no problem getting a job. I hope it is that easy for me.

If I were you, I would wait and find an accredited CAAHEP one.

mary in Calhoun, Georgia

73 months ago

D in Decatur, Georgia said: Thanks Mary, I am going to look them up now.

Thanks

Oh do you know if they accept fin. aid or is it out of pocket

i think they do. it is a state school.

Mrs.Sonia Patterson in Atlanta, Georgia

73 months ago

I was wondering can you give me the information to get in to grady
ultra sound school.Thanks

D in Stone Mountain, Georgia

73 months ago

go to grady's site i called and they told me they only take 5-10 people per year and you have to go thru there rad. program (2 years) or have a two year allied health degree (have to be pt. related) and the ultrasound program 1 year

mary in Calhoun, Georgia

73 months ago

who put that ashworth mess on this? we are talking about ultrasound schools only. they don't offer it. i'm everyone on here is serious about their decisions on the proper school. don't waste our time with advertisements.

Nakia in Smyrna, Georgia

73 months ago

sharon in Kennesaw, Georgia said: Whatever you do don't move to Georgia. It's like an abyss. Don't do it. Go anywhere except Georgia. Georgia has so many problems. Too many people, no jobs, no water or rather water issues. Reconsider your move it's bad here.

I TOTALLY AGREE!!! AMEN AND AMEN:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Mesa, Arizona

73 months ago

Sarah in Fayetteville, Georgia said: I have been accepted into the institute of medical ultrasound in Atlanta Ga. Just wanted to know what people think about this program. I plan on entering the General Sonography program. Just want to make sure that it is a good school and doesn't have a bad reputation like some of the other schools in atalnta. All information is helpful currents students, Previous students, people who have worked with students from IMU etc... Thanks!!

Sarah,

Are you planning on starting at IMU in October?

PAUL in Lawrenceville, Georgia

73 months ago

Scott in Mesa, Arizona said: Sarah,

Are you planning on starting at IMU in October?

I like the school but they are not accredit....

Amberly Jenkins in Decatur, Georgia

73 months ago

Is Atlanta's institute of medical ultrasound more of a continuing education program?

73 months ago

Amberly Jenkins in Decatur, Georgia said: Is Atlanta's institute of medical ultrasound more of a continuing education program?

It is not necessary to have a background in allied health in order to attend the school. They do require previous college education and in most cases a bachelors degree. I have a bachelors degree in accounting and have never worked in the medical field and it was not difficult getting accepted into the school. I believe this is in part due to the fact that the school is relatively new and they don't have a long list of students beating down their doors to attend. I visited the school in person and felt like it was very legitimate and think the small class size will allow for a good quality education. As has been mentioned many times on this forum, the school is not accredited. My understanding is that they are currently in the application process to be accredited, but who knows when or if that will ever happen. This is not a problem for me because after graduation I will still be eligible to sit for the registry exam just like all the graduates who attended accredited schools. I will start classes in October and will post periodically how well I feel the program is preparing me for a career in the sonography field.

Johary in Boynton Beach, Florida

72 months ago

Hi, I recently became interested in IAMP radiation therapy program. Delray Beach, FL location. Are they accredited for this program? Do they take financial aid pell grant. I have a interview on Tuesday but i do not want to waste my time.
thanks

red27 in New York

72 months ago

Scott in Phoenix, Arizona said: It is not necessary to have a background in allied health in order to attend the school. They do require previous college education and in most cases a bachelors degree. I have a bachelors degree in accounting and have never worked in the medical field and it was not difficult getting accepted into the school. I believe this is in part due to the fact that the school is relatively new and they don't have a long list of students beating down their doors to attend. I visited the school in person and felt like it was very legitimate and think the small class size will allow for a good quality education. As has been mentioned many times on this forum, the school is not accredited. My understanding is that they are currently in the application process to be accredited, but who knows when or if that will ever happen. This is not a problem for me because after graduation I will still be eligible to sit for the registry exam just like all the graduates who attended accredited schools. I will start classes in October and will post periodically how well I feel the program is preparing me for a career in the sonography field.

PLease do not think your class will be small. Accreditation will not happen. The school is not a good idea. In Atlanta they have a class action lawsuit against them- they cannot find clinical sites. THe teaching level is very low.

red27 in New York

72 months ago

red27 in New York said: PLease do not think your class will be small. Accreditation will not happen. The school is not a good idea. In Atlanta they have a class action lawsuit against them- they cannot find clinical sites. THe teaching level is very low.

Sorry I meant to answer to Johary in Florida

i am concerned in Morrow, Georgia

72 months ago

I just enrolled in the diagnostic ultrasound sonography at IAMP. I will be starting in a month, i dunno if i should sign up for sandford brown instead. Could anyone who attended IAMP please give me more details concerning about the school, finding jobs/externship after graduating from that school?

72 months ago

I attend sanford brown.I am in the MA program. Despite what people are saying those teachers are very qualified in fact some of the teachers are doctors. It is not nearly as bad as people are making it seem. I was suppose to go into the cvt program when am done but decide on radiology because i dont seem to find that meny jobs for cvt in atlanta, i make the commute from morrow every weekend.

Decatur in Lithonia, Georgia

72 months ago

Thanks so much for the info. It is nice to hear this since most of what I hear is so neg. I am sch. to start the ultrasound program in October.

Decatur in Lithonia, Georgia

72 months ago

Sanford Brown night classes begin Oct. 27. The only neg. thing I have heard about the school you are interested in is that it is not accred. I don't know if it is too late for Oct. classes for Sandford Brown but the days start sometime next year. Night clases start in Oct.

Rachel in Suwanee, Georgia

72 months ago

PAUL in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: HAS ANYONE HEARD ABOUT Everest Institute....FOR ULTRASOUND TECH ????

I went to Georgia Medical Institute, now Everest Institute, for massage therapy. I DO NOT recommend going there for ANY of their programs. They are only concerned with getting your money. I graduated with a 98.1 and had a fabulous teacher, luckily. I passed the national certification the first time but that was AFTER I took a review class at another school. My teacher was miserable there and we had to beg her to stay with us till graduation. PLEASE do not go to Everest Institute for any program. All the programs are run the same way. I want to go back to become an ultrasound tech or radiology tech and there is no way I will even think about Everest.

Rachel in Suwanee, Georgia

72 months ago

Candice in Atlanta, Georgia said: does anyone know anything about Everest Institute?

Please run away from Everest as fast as possible!!! I went to massage therapy school there when it was called Georgia Medical Institute. I was lucky to have a great teacher but we had to beg her to stay at that job long enough for us to graduate. She was disgusted at the way the school operated. They only cared about getting money and the only way to do that is to have students who pass. We were given endless opportunities to do extra credit to bring our grades up if we needed to. I am the only person I know who took the national certification test and passed it the first time. And that is only because I took a review class at a different school. Please DO NOT go to Everest. You will be disgusted as were many of my fellow students.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.