What is the process to becoming a sonographer straight out of high school?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Sharon in Los Angeles, California

31 months ago

Hi, I've some research on this and I'm pretty confused :/ I couldn't find a diagnostic medical sonography program in California that lets you apply without already having a degree of some sort. What should I major in beforehand? Or do I just need to complete my GE requirements?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Massachusetts

31 months ago

They are all different. Please dont get sucked into a unaccredited program. There are a few in S.Cal. Some require a 2 year degree to even apply. Some have the schools prereqs that you complete then apply and they base acceptance on points system, ( points for A's, B's, work exper, tests) Some schools put you on a waiting list and you eventually get in. I went that route b/c I was guaranteed a spot after waiting. I have good grades but not 4.0 and didn't want to complete with those that did. Im from N.Cal and moved out of state in order to go. There are a few 4 year schools too. Georgia and I think WI has one. You just have to research. For instance you can do pretty much your prereqs at any community college and apply all over and move if you can to get in faster.

www.caahep.org/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Peterborough, Ontario

31 months ago

The process varies a bit depending on what the college requirements are, so it's a good idea to look at the schools one at a time and see what the prerequisites are. If you dig deep enough in the site they will have this information. Sometimes you actually need to send an email to get at the details. I find that is usually the case in the teaching hospitals. In California there are 9 schools with accredited courses in sonography.
I've been building a resource site for future <a href="www.ultrasoundtechnicianschoolshq.org/california.html">sonographers</a>, that you may find useful. It lists only caahep accredited programs and is quickly building in popularity.

Hopefully it will be of service to you.
It's a great career choice, best of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Peterborough, Ontario

31 months ago

Sorry, that link was improperly coded. It should be <a href="www.ultrasoundtechnicianschoolshq.org/california.html#.UQYLCkpddVc">here.</a>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Los Angeles, California

31 months ago

Okay, thank you!

Karry in Massachusetts

31 months ago

I don't know the programs in your area, but here high school students can take college classes and get credit for HS and college. I would do that if you can. Here it's Jrs and seniors but you could get your sciences done and maybe be ready to apply right after HS.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.