What type of Sonography to specialize in?????

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Vintage_lover in Boca Raton, Florida

66 months ago

Hi,
I am getting ready to start the sonography program at Keiser and need some advice.

What is the difference between the vascular and medical sonography programs they offer?

Also what areas can I specialize in? Are their ones that I would make more money than others and which ones are in higher demand. (I am aware of the Freeze)..

Also I know they are telling me that I will be done with school in 18 months. Is this really true? That would be including my prereqs. I am also aware that I will be on a waiting list but, will be moving up the list as I am going through my pre-reqs.

Also I hear people are not getting jobs due to no experience out of school. I thought that is why you do the intership/apprentence whatever..

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Vintage_lover in Boca Raton, Florida

66 months ago

Thank you so much Hustler. Let me ask, at school should I take the medical (which I think would be general) or the vascular?

I am looking at jobs and all of the list that they would like experience. How does one get a job out of school? Or do your hours of scanning count as experience in the job place?

I so appreciate it. Sorry so ignorant, just trying to lean. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Hustler in Roswell, New Mexico

66 months ago

I also wanted to answer your question about the letters you saw in a job posting. Those stand for the different modalities (echo,abdomen,OB/GYN,vascular,etc.) and the two different registries. CCI cardiovasculcreditblahblah is one of the two main registries for cardiovascular ultrasound. There are two ultrasound modalities you can get registered in with them, RCS-registerd cardiac sonographer(echo) or RVS-registered vascular sonographer. I don't know what CCT means. The other registry is the ARDMS:American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographer. You can get be RDCS-registered diagnostic cardiac sonographer(echo), RVT-registered vascular sonographer, RDMS-registered diagnostic medical sonographer(abdomen) with other tests for OB/GYN, breast, etc. that fall under the RDMS banner. Most hospitals don't descriminate between the CCI or the ARDMS for cardiovascular because there's no insurance reimbersment difference. ARDMS is more well known however.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

cinn2kitty in Lyndhurst, New Jersey

65 months ago

i just started school yesterday.I am excited and nervous at the same time.I have a long ways to go before i worry about find work but this is very helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hustler in Knoxville, Tennessee

65 months ago

Well, good luck Sinkitty!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Focused in Brooklyn, New York

59 months ago

Taking an Diagnostic Medical Sonography program at Sanford Brown-Islin NJ, How do I go about specialize in Cardiovascular Sonography after. The reason I didn't take Caridovascular in the first place is because it's not accredited by the CAAHEP and the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program was...Please help.. Thanks in Advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Pensacola, Florida

48 months ago

Vintage_lover in Boca Raton, Florida said: Hi,
I am getting ready to start the sonography program at Keiser and need some advice.

What is the difference between the vascular and medical sonography programs they offer?

Also what areas can I specialize in? Are their ones that I would make more money than others and which ones are in higher demand. (I am aware of the Freeze)..

Also I know they are telling me that I will be done with school in 18 months. Is this really true? That would be including my prereqs. I am also aware that I will be on a waiting list but, will be moving up the list as I am going through my pre-reqs.

Also I hear people are not getting jobs due to no experience out of school. I thought that is why you do the intership/apprentence whatever..

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

So Did yo start your program with Keiser? If so, how do you like it so far and how do your job prospects look? I was thinking of starting there myself. Also, I'm sure you know by now, but everything you need to know about earning your credentials is on the ARDMS.org website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.