Getting a unit secretary job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 56)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

How did you get your start doing unit secretary work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

bj in Arlington Heights, Illinois

88 months ago

I have been a unit sec for almost twenty years and the way I started was to become an certified nursing assistand, most hospitals cross train cna/us.
this is the easiest way to get to know about working as a secretary, by starting at working on a unit, you will learn routines of a unit, and luckily be cross trained, as the future of secretary work in a hospital, the chart will eventually become electronic, unit secretarys, ward clerks, unit clerks, will be on their way out, but a new job description will evolve, and that is health unit co ordinator, but best way is to start off as a cna, to learn practical.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

I very much disagree with bj in Illinois. I have also been a unit secretary for 26 years. The unit secretary will always be a part of the unit. They will not phase them out. I got my start going to the community college in my neighborhood and taking the courses. That way, upon graduation, I was a certified unit secretary going out in the job world and applying. A lot of facilities look for the "certified unit secretary".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ruth in Saddle River, New Jersey

84 months ago

I have been a Unit secretary for over 20 years and agree that the Unit Secretay is a very important part of the unit. The nurses are very busy doing their job and without us, the unit could not run smoothly. I got my start by taking a course in Medical Terminology and on the job training. Over the years the computer took over alot of the paper work so I had to learn how to use the computer. The nurses are so glad to see the secretary, especially someone who knows the job well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Alison in Indianapolis, Indiana

84 months ago

They have tried here in Indianapolis to phase out secretaries and have taught the doctors to put in their own orders. When the doctors tried to do it it was a time consuming task for them. Needless to say that the job got put back into our hands. They will need secretaries always because if a patient is going bad a doctor isn't going to be sitting at a computer putting in orders or will they be answering phones. We are a farely new hospital with the intent to be paper free, but we have found out that that hasn't been the case either. I believe it is going to take a while to work out the kinks to even become paper free. We still have some years to go, just anough time to go back to school and become a nurse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Cliff in Beaumont, Texas

82 months ago

I am a manager of a Med-Surg unit and the Unit Secretary can be the key to the success or the failure of the unit. I don't think there will ever be a time that the Unit Secretary is not on the unit since there will always be the need for order entry (regardless if Doctors or nurses do it, there are times when the help continues to be needed), phones answered, call lights answered and to be that first contact with family members and others on the unit. The Unit Secretary (or HUC as my wife is called) has to be friendly at all times, have a smile on and off the phone and be able to multi-task and prioritize as the need arises. I am in the process of interviewing for Unit Secretaries right now and one of the big things I look for is how they present themselves and confidence. Most things can be taught, but how one deals with others is something that has already been instilled.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ca_dawson in Houston, Texas

82 months ago

Cliff in Beaumont, may I ask you what qualities in a resume do you look for to give a person an interview? I am currently looking for a position as a unit secretary and am having difficulty even getting an interview. I'm finding its rather difficult to transition industries! I haven't worked in the medical field but I am a nursing student entering my clinicals in january. I also have a medical assistant certificate, but other than my externship experience, I never actually worked with this certificate. Most doctors offices don't offer benefits and my current job has full benefits so that's why I never used this certification. I do have 5 years clerical experience, 4 of those being customer service, but in the HVAC industry, not medical. I have completed many science related coursework such as medical terminology, anatomy and physiology I & II, pathophysiology, medical microbiology, nutrition, and pharmacology. But even with all this nobody will give me the time of day. They want unit secretary experience. How in the world do I get this experience if nobody will give me a chance? Will maybe taking some sort of class help? I need to get a job with more flexibility and I would like to get my foot in the door and get some experience in the medical field under my belt while finishing my last 2 years of school. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Cliff in Beaumont, Texas

82 months ago

Hi,
First I guess I need to clarify that I am in Corpus Christi (not sure why it says Beaumont). It would seem that you would be an amazing catch for a Unit Secretary based on what I have read in your posting. Things I look for include the smile, great personality, ability to multi-task, and able to read and understand MD orders and the medical terminology. Computer skills are a great plus, which if you have clerical experience that should be helpful. I would say the challenge would be going to nursing school and being a Unit Secretary because typcially the need for Unit Secretaries are greater during the day than at night and that might be where your hitting a snag. I am fortunate enough to have nursing students working for me as Unit Secretaries but I also utilize night time Unit Secretaries. What you may wish to do, if able, is to look for night positions or weekend positions.
Hope this is helpful. I do believe you have the background and likely the skill to be successful as a Unit Secretary, it then becomes more of where do you wish to work and what time of the day you wish to work while going to school. Double edged sword. We do need you as a nurse though and good luck to you in your pursuits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ca_dawson in Houston, Texas

82 months ago

Thank you so much for your response! I have been applying for all sorts of shifts, days, nights, 3pm-11pm, weekends only, etc. My program has lectures on Mondays and Tuesdays and then clinical on either Friday or Saturday so I'll only be going 3 days a week which gives me 4 open days to work days if needed, but ideally I would like to work a 3pm-11pm if possible. I am definately a great multi-tasker and fast learner! I was also in drill team through high school and do some performance dance in college so I do have that great big dancer smile! I just need to get to the interview portion first! I'll keep looking! I just started my job search a week and a half ago, but 4 of the 11 positions I have applied for have been filled so I was getting a bit discouraged. One responded that they were looking for someone with previous unit secretary experience. I guess all I can do is keep applying and keep hoping someone calls me back! Thanks again for your response!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tonnisha Pirant in Chicago, Illinois

80 months ago

bj in Arlington Heights, Illinois said: I have been a unit sec for almost twenty years and the way I started was to become an certified nursing assistand, most hospitals cross train cna/us.
this is the easiest way to get to know about working as a secretary, by starting at working on a unit, you will learn routines of a unit, and luckily be cross trained, as the future of secretary work in a hospital, the chart will eventually become electronic, unit secretarys, ward clerks, unit clerks, will be on their way out, but a new job description will evolve, and that is health unit co ordinator, but best way is to start off as a cna, to learn practical.

Hi,
I know you responded to a comment 8 months ago, but I'm interested in finding a unit secretary position and it has not been an easy search. I am a CNA, so I was wondering if you knew a hospital or a clinic in Chicago that was hiring?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tonnisha Pirant in Chicago, Illinois

80 months ago

Cliff in Beaumont, Texas said: I am a manager of a Med-Surg unit and the Unit Secretary can be the key to the success or the failure of the unit. I don't think there will ever be a time that the Unit Secretary is not on the unit since there will always be the need for order entry (regardless if Doctors or nurses do it, there are times when the help continues to be needed), phones answered, call lights answered and to be that first contact with family members and others on the unit. The Unit Secretary (or HUC as my wife is called) has to be friendly at all times, have a smile on and off the phone and be able to multi-task and prioritize as the need arises. I am in the process of interviewing for Unit Secretaries right now and one of the big things I look for is how they present themselves and confidence. Most things can be taught, but how one deals with others is something that has already been instilled.

Hi,
My name is Tonnisha and although I know you live far from Chicago, however I was wondering do you know any hospital connections in Chicago that has openings for a unit secretary position? It has not been an easy search for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tonnisha Pirant in Chicago, Illinois

80 months ago

Alison in Indianapolis, Indiana said: They have tried here in Indianapolis to phase out secretaries and have taught the doctors to put in their own orders. When the doctors tried to do it it was a time consuming task for them. Needless to say that the job got put back into our hands. They will need secretaries always because if a patient is going bad a doctor isn't going to be sitting at a computer putting in orders or will they be answering phones. We are a farely new hospital with the intent to be paper free, but we have found out that that hasn't been the case either. I believe it is going to take a while to work out the kinks to even become paper free. We still have some years to go, just anough time to go back to school and become a nurse.

Hi my name is Tonnisha and I was wondering if you knew anybody at a hospital or clinic in Chicago that has openings for a unit secretary position? I have have really been searching.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia Deadwiler in Carbondale, Colorado

80 months ago

I have been a Unit Secretary for 25years and enjoyed working with professional doctor's and nurses and I have relocated to Colorado and is interested in a position in Aurora Co. I need help finding a position here as a Secretary. If you know of any hospitals in Aurora that are hiring please email me at pdeadwiler@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Donna Soucy in Newton Lower Falls, Massachusetts

79 months ago

Hi!

The forum is really a great place for networking and helping others. I have recently signed on so that I also can get some additional insight for job searches. Myself as well, has found job searching can be very challenging especially when you really do need a job and soon! There are so many "if"'s today, yet there are a lot of job postings. Like everything else it can become difficult to know what to choose et cetera. There is just so much out there!

However, I as well have an Assoc Degree in Health Information Mgmt as well as transcription and coding certificates including medical terminology, yet am finding it difficult to get the job for a medical office setting, clinic, unit secretary and the like. Any info to give better insight is much appreciated! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donna Soucy in Newton Lower Falls, Massachusetts

79 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing unit secretary work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

What additional skills does one need to begin working as a unit secretary?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Wilda Ware in Chicago, Illinois

79 months ago

I am currently looking for a Unit Secretary position on the North Side of Chicago. I was a Unit Secretary for nine years, and an LPN for twenty years. I am currently finishing a Medical Billing/Coding Program. I have had all fingers on my left hand amputated, and use Dragon Naturally Speaking Software for computer input. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might secure a position? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MINI in Houston, Texas

78 months ago

DEAR CLIFF,

COULD YOU GIVE ME AN IDEA OF WHAT PARTICULAR COURSES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE TAKEN FOR THIS?

THANKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brandi in Sedona, Arizona

75 months ago

HI well I just obtained a new job as a unit clerk in our local medical facility, any information, notes, suggestions that can help me immediately would be greatly appreciated. I am currently on the job training with a great woman who has held the unit secretary position for 13 years or more. She is a steadfast teacher. I like a few others have been hired and are now training, I have lots of customer service background, front desk scheduling for a peds office, but that is the extent of my medical training so all is being taught as I go. Ill be on my own come the end of the month, I am confidant that Ill do fine , but the hand writing is the biggest obsticle, Almost makes the job seem impossible but if everyone else can learn to weed through the lines and scribbles so can I ! hahahaha, also I if it helps other newbies like me, I find nurses and unit clerks that have been doing this for years have trouble reading the hand writings, so I dont feel so bad LOL... so any help or perhaps word doc notes please send to me ! if you wanna share.
bbuck86326@hotmail.com
thank you and blessings to all
Brandie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brandi in Sedona, Arizona

75 months ago

Suggested classes or training for unit clerking :
A. book from used books online ISBN 0-7216-4302-7 was suggested to learn certain aspects of the job and terminology.
B. Suggested to take the month long CNA course for becomming a patient care tech for cross training. at a local community college.
C. Medical Terminology course at a local community college

Hope this helped and I plan on taking the CNA course first then Medical Terminology just for my own needs.

Sincerly, Brandie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

MINI in Houston, Texas

75 months ago

Thanks brandie

Iam actually a CNA..but unfortunately my licence will expire in a month. So, pretty much everything will go down the drain.
I hope can do something about it.

Sincerely,
Mini

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tamera in Harper Woods, Michigan

75 months ago

bj in Arlington Heights, Illinois said: I have been a unit sec for almost twenty years and the way I started was to become an certified nursing assistand, most hospitals cross train cna/us.
this is the easiest way to get to know about working as a secretary, by starting at working on a unit, you will learn routines of a unit, and luckily be cross trained, as the future of secretary work in a hospital, the chart will eventually become electronic, unit secretarys, ward clerks, unit clerks, will be on their way out, but a new job description will evolve, and that is health unit co ordinator, but best way is to start off as a cna, to learn practical.

You comment that electronic medical records will phase out the needs for a unit secretary, I find quite unresearched. I am a unit secretary and have done so, and I have spent make hours in EMR presentations. Do you really think that physicians are still going to enter all their lab orders, ect? Also there are going to be times when EMRs are not avaliable. The EMR is only going to change our repsonisbilites, not phase us out. It may reduce the number needed on staff, but honestly we don't have anything to worry about. At my last hospital, we had EMRs, and I had more paper than I do at my paper record hospital then!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Liz in Lafayette, Tennessee

72 months ago

I have been working as a unit secretary for almost two years. My position was created. I answer phones, fax and xerox information, and because I have a lot of down time, (and hate down time) I requested to learn more. Now, I do EKG's, vitals, telemetry, and if needed, make a bed or hand out blankets and water. I really want to do more toward clerical work, but it seems the only thing requested is that I answer the phones. I work with some really wonderful people, which is why I really love helping my peers. The problem is: I really want to be a good unit secretary. I feel like my position is moving toward working as a tech. Any thoughts on how I can get more work towaeds working more as a unit secretary?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Liz in Lafayette, Tennessee

72 months ago

After I graduated with a medical assistant diploma, I networked. You won't believe this, but...I tried for over a year to work at the hospital I am now at. The day the HR lady was coming to a near by town, I didn't have any money, so I decided to do laundry and housework. I decided, It isn't meant to be. $40 feel out of the dryer. I got ready assuming the Lord wanted me at this hospital. I was hired immediately. The people there are very kind to me and I am able to help so many people (both staff as well as patients.) I really love it! The problem is my job was "created." No one is really sure what my position entails. The other secretary doesn't do tech work. Because I was bored of just sitting, I would always ask if I could help the nurses. Once, because of this, she asked me if I knew how to make a bed. I responded I did and made the bed "like I would at home." She was so proud of my bed that she showed our director. After that, she ripped the covers off and taught me how the ED does it, but she told me, that she was very impressed. I asked to learn vitals, then EKGs...my job scope keeps growing...As for educational background, I think all you needed to know for my job was have "heart" in you and a working knowledge of medical terminology and typing. For me anyway, It has paid off...

Host said: How did you get your start doing unit secretary work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rr in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing unit secretary work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

i worked for ten years as a nursing assistant and was cross-trained as a unit secretary

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rr in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing unit secretary work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

only requirement was some medical background work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rr in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

rr in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: i worked for ten years as a nursing assistant and was cross-trained as a unit secretary
only requirement educational wise was some experience dealing with patients in a medical field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rr in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

still waiting for some advise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Liz in Lafayette, Tennessee

72 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing unit secretary work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I kept applying for only secretarial work at hospitals. Because of my back ground I guess that's why they hired me. I used to own a Senior Citizen's Day care center. From there, I went to school and graduated with a Medical Administrative Assistant Diploma. I have always had a genuine love for people. Maybe I conveyed that when I was interviewed. Don't give up! Ms. Liz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Liz in Lafayette, Tennessee

72 months ago

I too have been very blessed to learn more. Because I hate just sitting at the desk, when there is down time, I learned how to do EKG's, place telemetry, and do vitals. I guess I've been cross-trained to do tech work. Because of my lifting limitations, I will never be able to apply for a tech position though. I'm told that lifting is a requirment. Still, I am never above learning and I always pitch in where I'm qualified and needed. We have a wonderful team in our ED.

bj in Arlington Heights, Illinois said: I have been a unit sec for almost twenty years and the way I started was to become an certified nursing assistand, most hospitals cross train cna/us.
this is the easiest way to get to know about working as a secretary, by starting at working on a unit, you will learn routines of a unit, and luckily be cross trained, as the future of secretary work in a hospital, the chart will eventually become electronic, unit secretarys, ward clerks, unit clerks, will be on their way out, but a new job description will evolve, and that is health unit co ordinator, but best way is to start off as a cna, to learn practical.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rr in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

no comment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Liz in Lafayette, Tennessee

72 months ago

Ok youngen! How did you get certified? That would be a piece of information I would be genuinely interested in learning. I have been the ER/US for the last two years. Because my job was created, and because I didn't feel I had enough to do, I asked to learn EKG's, vitals, and telemetry. I also make a bed, hand out blankets/water/ice/sodas to patients when the staff is overwhelmed. My job scope was limited until I did this. They had me answering phones, calling physicians, doing oncall lists, faxing, printing, xeroxing information, but it didn't give me enough to do. Because some of you are seasoned US, could you advise me on anything else, I might could ask my director to add to my scope? I want to stay busy! Also, (The caliber of person I am is "I genuinely care about people." I actually looked for this kind of work because of that. Some laughed when I told them it wasn't about the money, but you know what, those same nurses, whom I always pitch in to help, have been very kind to me. (Because of this, when a patient needs what the nurses call "My special gift", I go into a patient's room, not knowing what the need will be, and share this gift...whether is is giving an elderly person a hug, praying with them, or just listening...I'd like to think when my day I get sick comes, the favor would be returned. No, I don't think the US will be phased out, my scope is still growing. Ms. Liz

Susan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I very much disagree with bj in Illinois. I have also been a unit secretary for 26 years. The unit secretary will always be a part of the unit. They will not phase them out. I got my start going to the community college in my neighborhood and taking the courses. That way, upon graduation, I was a certified unit secretary going out in the job world and applying. A lot of facilities look for the "certified unit secretary".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Liz in Lafayette, Tennessee

72 months ago

Ok, you sound like you have got the right idea, the education. Go online to every hospital in your area. Maybe within 50 miles...I know gas prices are high, but it is what I do. I drive an hour and a half to work to work 12 hours 3 days a week, but I love what I do. I don't know you, but I will tell you, if you really have your heart set on being a unit secretary, take your request to a higher power. I did! I tried for a year after graduation to get hired at anyone of the area hospitals, but to no avail. I took my plea to God asking him for good benefits, a little money, and an ability to help others (which is where my heart is). The day came I'd have to drive an hour and a half to get the interview. Problem was, I didn't have any money and my guys were at school (husband and son). I resorted to giving up and doing house work which led me to doing laundry. Ladies you know, we always check the pockets. $40 fell out of the dryer. It was a sign to me to get ready for the possible interview Professionally dressed and resume/cover letter in hand. I was hired immediately. Faith moves mountains! Ms. Liz

ca_dawson in Houston, Texas said: Cliff in Beaumont, may I ask you what qualities in a resume do you look for to give a person an interview? I am currently looking for a position as a unit secretary and am having difficulty even getting an interview. I'm finding its rather difficult to transition industries! I haven't worked in the medical field but I am a nursing student entering my clinicals in january. I also have a medical assistant certificate, but other than my externship experience, I never actually worked with this certificate. Most doctors offices don't offer benefits and my current job has full benefits so that's why I never used this certification. I do have 5 years clerical experience, 4 of those being customer service, but in the HVAC industry, not medical. I have completed many science related coursework such as medical terminology, an

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

ms brown in Blacksburg, Virginia

70 months ago

I am having avery difficlt time. I am looking for a job as a cna, and i'm enrolled in a medical office specialist class. I've applied for every job in these two fields. I've even gone to open houses, and I haven't been able to get a job yet. I've borrowed from family just to get to interviews. Plkease offer me some advice because we are broke.By all means I have five children to feed. I am lacking the typing skills. Please help me. I can use all the advice possible

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Liz in Lafayette, Tennessee

70 months ago

Have you been to a career center in your area? they are very helpful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Liz in Lafayette, Tennessee

70 months ago

Ms. Brown: They are very helpful! I got to thinking about it after I left my earlier message too..."I hate to hear things are rough there, but as a mother, I want to stress--Don't let your babies go hungry while you are job hunting...churches would be only too happy to help you while the chips are down. Worst case sinereo, food stamps. Nobody wants to do that, but hey, isn't that what food stamps is for? To help those who have the chips down? When I was job hunting, I wanted a job in my field so badly, that I looked at every job service on the computer, worked with my local Voc Rehab Center, spoke to local colleges (where they too have career centers), and The career center/job service in my district. Not only can they give you job leads, they can also help you put your resume in order, copy resumes for free, help you with job leads on the computer in their labs, and even, if you meet qualifications, help you with job training. Just be careful when applying for a job online. Make sure it is a secure site before entering personal information. You probably know this, but if you don't, there should be a pad lock posted on the bottom of your screen if it is secure. Also, don't know if it is nationwide, but check with careerbuilder.com. They were all very good to me. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Best Wishes, Ms. Liz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Liz in Lafayette, Tennessee

70 months ago

With your IT, transcription, and coding experience, Wow! Here in TN, transcription is going to voice command software, but some companies pay top dollar and some doctors too, for a "real" person to do it. Also, with your coding and IT experience, sounds like you would be a real catch for a hospital or doctor's office. Keep watch on hospital websites...click on the (career)link. I watched hospital websites within 50 miles of my home religiously/daily, and sent resumes out only for the jobs of interest to me. Also, when career day happenes at local colleges, (most of them the public can go to) they have hospitals there that can interview you on the spot. "Go dressed, prepared to interview, and have resume and coverletter in hand." TRUST ME! I hope this was helpful to you. Ms. Liz

Donna Soucy in Newton Lower Falls, Massachusetts said: Hi!

The forum is really a great place for networking and helping others. I have recently signed on so that I also can get some additional insight for job searches. Myself as well, has found job searching can be very challenging especially when you really do need a job and soon! There are so many "if"'s today, yet there are a lot of job postings. Like everything else it can become difficult to know what to choose et cetera. There is just so much out there!

However, I as well have an Assoc Degree in Health Information Mgmt as well as transcription and coding certificates including medical terminology, yet am finding it difficult to get the job for a medical office setting, clinic, unit secretary and the like. Any info to give better insight is much appreciated! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ms brown in Blacksburg, Virginia

70 months ago

I AM REALLY SENDING OUT APPLICATIONS,AND EVERYTHING. I THINK THAT I REALLY NEED SOME MORE CLERICAL EXPERIENCE. CAN YOU RECCOMEND TO ME SOME COMPUTER PROGRAMS THAT I SHOULD LEARN? ANY ADICE IS HELPFUL, AND APPRECIATED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Liz in Lafayette, Tennessee

70 months ago

Ms. Brown: Honey if you are wanting to get into the work force, Microsoft Word, Excel are very good, but if you are wanting to be a secretary, good typing skills and medical terminology is all I needed for my position as a unit secretary. Like I said earlier, check with your career center. They will be very helpful to you. I wish you all of the luck! Ms. Liz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ms. Liz in Lafayette, Tennessee

70 months ago

Ms. Brown: I meant to say, unit secretary. If you want to be a unit secretary, good typing skills and medical terminology are all I know that you need to get hired as a unit secretary. As stated in an earlier blog, my job was created. All everyone wanted me to be excellent at was answering the phones. My doctors hate having to answer them. Ms. Liz

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pcaldea in Stockbridge, Georgia

65 months ago

Hello to everyone!

I applied to a unit secretary position in our community hospital since 7 months ago and until recently I finished a medical terminology course. Still I have not been hired despite my previous experience as a secretary. I'm at a loss as to why I have not been hired :( Maybe it's not meant to be. I'm doing my nursing school prerequisites now and I was hoping to get in the medical field work area now, rather than later. It's discouraging, but I hope to one day land the job!

:0)

pcaldea

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

t in Pompano Beach, Florida

64 months ago

Ms. Liz in Lafayette, Tennessee said: Ok, you sound like you have got the right idea, the education. Go online to every hospital in your area. Maybe within 50 miles...I know gas prices are high, but it is what I do. I drive an hour and a half to work to work 12 hours 3 days a week, but I love what I do. I don't know you, but I will tell you, if you really have your heart set on being a unit secretary, take your request to a higher power. I did! I tried for a year after graduation to get hired at anyone of the area hospitals, but to no avail. I took my plea to God asking him for good benefits, a little money, and an ability to help others (which is where my heart is). The day came I'd have to drive an hour and a half to get the interview. Problem was, I didn't have any money and my guys were at school (husband and son). I resorted to giving up and doing house work which led me to doing laundry. Ladies you know, we always check the pockets. $40 fell out of the dryer. It was a sign to me to get ready for the possible interview Professionally dressed and resume/cover letter in hand. I was hired immediately. Faith moves mountains! Ms. Liz

I admire your testimony, that's how i got my job as a unit secretary at my hospital, it took prayer and faith and it worked,it works everytime guarantee! sincere prayer of faith.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

t in Pompano Beach, Florida

64 months ago

ms brown in Blacksburg, Virginia said: I am having avery difficlt time. I am looking for a job as a cna, and i'm enrolled in a medical office specialist class. I've applied for every job in these two fields. I've even gone to open houses, and I haven't been able to get a job yet. I've borrowed from family just to get to interviews. Plkease offer me some advice because we are broke.By all means I have five children to feed. I am lacking the typing skills. Please help me. I can use all the advice possible

hi,just take it to The LORD in prayer and trust HIM, i did, HE will provide, HE IS a PROVIDER, just have FAITH and TRUST HIM no matter what, i had faith and trusted HIM to provide for me and my children and HE did, HE always does.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

t in Pompano Beach, Florida

64 months ago

pcaldea in Stockbridge, Georgia said: Hello to everyone!

I applied to a unit secretary position in our community hospital since 7 months ago and until recently I finished a medical terminology course. Still I have not been hired despite my previous experience as a secretary. I'm at a loss as to why I have not been hired :( Maybe it's not meant to be. I'm doing my nursing school prerequisites now and I was hoping to get in the medical field work area now, rather than later. It's discouraging, but I hope to one day land the job!

:0)

pcaldea

DON'T GIVE UP! NEVER GIVE UP! take it to The LORD in PRAYER and continue to send out your reume and keep applying, don't stop no matter how many doors close there's one that will open if you just cnotinue in FAITH! i PRAYED and search for my job as a US, i didn't give up, i continued the search daily and one day while i was at a hospital applying online for a position there, The LORD blessed me with a phone call from the hospital that i am at now, they wanted me to come in for an interview and i went with confidence and faith and The LORD BLESSED me with the position after all qaulified applicants i was chosen with no experience,that's why and how i know that it was The LORD that BLESSED me with the job. I had and still have FAITH in GOD no matter what, i will pray for you and TRUST HIM for you and with you, just have FAITH! HE will provide for you if you just have FAITH in HIM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pcaldea in Griffin, Georgia

64 months ago

Thank-you for your comments. ;) I have prayed about it. There's just no way of telling how it's going to play out. My husband's work isn't too steady now and that's why I need to work. Do you think I should talk to the nursing director again? What do you think I should say?

Holding on,

pcaldea

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

pcaldea in Griffin, Georgia

64 months ago

Oh and thank-you for praying for me too

:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pdeadwiler@hotmail.com in Aurora, Colorado

64 months ago

Yes you should talk to the manager again, and keep call her so she can se that you're interested in the job. Also you would work any shift available.
First but God first, and then go. Which means pray first O.K.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pcaldea in Griffin, Georgia

64 months ago

Thanks for your reply. Today I will go and talk to the Nursing director. I will pray this time because the first time I didn't. And thanks for reminding me of that :)

Here goes.... I'll post what happened!

:)

PCaldea

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

t in Pompano Beach, Florida

64 months ago

pcaldea in Griffin, Georgia said: Thanks for your reply. Today I will go and talk to the Nursing director. I will pray this time because the first time I didn't. And thanks for reminding me of that :)

Here goes.... I'll post what happened!

:)

PCaldea

Remember to have FAITH and TRUST GOD no matter what it may look like now, GOD only moves by FAITH, while you are waiting on HIM patiently, continue to stay before HIM, praise HIM, WORSHIP HIM, thank HIM for your new job, thank HIM in advance, NOW FAITH is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (HEBREWS 11:1). Keep your faith in GOD for what you have prayed and asked HIM for and HE will meet your needs. It's HIS will to provide for you, just trust HIM and keep your heart and mind focused on HIM, don't focus on the problem or the situation just put it in HIS hands and keep it there. GOD moves in HIS timing, HE may not come when we want HIM to, but HE IS always on time guarantee! you have nothing to lose in GOD, but everything to gain. Always pray and put GOD first in everything. I will continue to pray for you and with you. HIS WILL, will be done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Toni in Somerset, New Jersey

64 months ago

Ruth in Saddle River, New Jersey said: I have been a Unit secretary for over 20 years and agree that the Unit Secretay is a very important part of the unit. The nurses are very busy doing their job and without us, the unit could not run smoothly. I got my start by taking a course in Medical Terminology and on the job training. Over the years the computer took over alot of the paper work so I had to learn how to use the computer. The nurses are so glad to see the secretary, especially someone who knows the job well.

PLEASE tell me where you took a medical terminology course!!! I want to get into this field so bad and I can't find a course like this without being fully certified for something else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jack of all Trades, Masters of None. in Matthews, North Carolina

62 months ago

I've just completed an HUC course at my community college, I've applied for several positions at every hospital, & have yet to have any positive response. I have been told that they are looking for more exp.(leaving me to wonder how do you get exp. if you can't get the job) for the position, but due to the fact that I have been in the medical field as an medical assistant (I have a diploma), a pharmacy technician (I have a dipolma),Laboratory, Clinical, Customer Service, Management, Data Entry, Sales & Telecommunication skills, (obtained from former employment, hospitals & nusing home), I have worked for a Blood Laboratory for The National American Red Cross as an Laboratory Technician, I was laid off Last June 2008, I went back to school, polished up my medical terminology and keyboarding skills, and I'm now I am obtaining my certifications and associate degree as a medical laboratory technician and radiologist. I have letters from former employees stating that I have a great personality, pleasant and professional phone voice, and show extreme compassion for people from all walks of life, and very detailed and dedicated to all my work tasks great and small, but yet with all these jacks of trade, on job training and continuing education, I'm being told, we are looking for someone with more experience. Leaving me to feel like I'm been wasting alot of my time and energy, I call HR for all places that I applied, they make you feel like you're a annoying them, to give it up. I will not, I will continue to stay strong by the grace of GOD, & not get discourage, & finish my education even if I have to start at the bottom & work my way up, I'm sure that I will once again be discovered by the right employer again, it may not be for the job that I am applying for, but get your foot in the door people, than show them what you can do, and how well off they would be if the give you the chance to do it for them. Good Luck & GOD BLESS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.