I keep getting turned down for every job I apply for WHY?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Connie

93 months ago

I keep my Resume Updated on a weekly basis no matter what job I am applying for someone else always gets the job I do have a hig school diploma and I have two years of college no degree in college I do have basic Secrtary and Receptiont skill yet I cannot even get these basic simple jobs any suggestions that anyone may have I would appreciate it especially from any human resources department and especially from any bosses' whom normally do the hiring themselves.I would just like a chance to work for a company for a more better future and a more secure future for my family and myself.I would just like a chance. Thank you Connie my e-mail address is sisterconnie@sbcglobal.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ravenmoon in Huntsville, Alabama

93 months ago

Well, have you run spellcheck on your resume because from your topic here- there are several misspelled words, if you are trying for an administrative position you have to know how to run spellcheck at least, if you do not know how to spell on your own....just saying that could be a main reason.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Peggy in Middletown, New Jersey

86 months ago

Dear Connie, I would like to ask you to put yourself in the employers place. Say you get a resume and a cover letter, Since this is the applicants big chance there better be no mistakes, or ramblings on it. It needs to be concise and to the point. Ask a knowlegeable person to read it and ask their opinions of the content and punctuation. Does your resume read like you would hire this person? Does it show you have tried? Like you have done your part? Saying you have many college credits but no degree looks like you don't have direction and don't know what you want. It costs money to train someone so why should they hire you, somebody with no degree? Be prepared. Be able to sell them on yourself. Don't say you are just looking for any job. Say you want to work at this particular place and tell them why and that reason must make that person proud of that company. An employer wants you to be able to hit the floor running. For instance they don't want to have to show you anything, except for, how to do it their way. Don't say things like at this place we did it this way. They need to know you already know the machinery, the programs, understand the workings. When you see the interviewer stand and shake hands like you have been doing that all of your life. Look them in the eye to make it personal and later lean towards them in the chair, head up. Speak clearly. Look interested. Look like you could be a great friend to her. You like her and understand her. Questions her as you are actually planning to make a decision about the job yourself. Don't state any problems; your child is always sick, no transportation, etc. On the phone with them , act composed, professional,no kids screaming in the background. Act like this is the only job and you want it. Always ask for the job at the end of the interview. Say how much you want the job with out desperation. Show how you have initiative .Tell them you plan to be with the company for the long haul. Smile.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Connie in Cleveland, Ohio

86 months ago

Dear Peggy Thank You for the tips and I beleive that these company's should be able to train people most company's makes a great deal of money and I beleive that if the employee is willing to learn than the company should be willing to train just because you do not have a degree does not mean that you are stupid and have no sense of direction personally myself years ago company's never put so much concern and effort on a piece of paper and just because you have a college degree does not make you a better employee of a better hire or a better person than anyone else anyone can go on the internet and found out about the company they wish to work for People should never base jobs on a piece of paper everyone started at the bottom of a company somewhere and I am certain some of these individuals did not have a college degree at that time. Thank You for the advice it is greatly appreciated. Thank you Connie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Bowling Green, Kentucky

83 months ago

Is this a joke? I can't even read this paragraph from Connie, why would I hire her?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Connie in Cleveland, Ohio

83 months ago

I do not appreciate your comment and I have just landed a job for a major fortune 500 firm who was willing to take a chance the money is great. Thank You

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Wilda Ware in Chicago, Illinois

83 months ago

Dear Connie,

God Bless You!!! You have really been lucky. Please learn to use spell checker immediately!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shadow Flare in Japan

82 months ago

Hi Wilda,

Did you follow your dreams and become a psychologist? I'm not sure if you're checking here but I really need to talk to you.

shadowsflare@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gene in Fayetteville, North Carolina

29 months ago

Connie in Cleveland, Ohio said: Dear Peggy Thank You for the tips and I beleive that these company's should be able to train people most company's makes a great deal of money and I beleive that if the employee is willing to learn than the company should be willing to train just because you do not have a degree does not mean that you are stupid and have no sense of direction personally myself years ago company's never put so much concern and effort on a piece of paper and just because you have a college degree does not make you a better employee of a better hire or a better person than anyone else anyone can go on the internet and found out about the company they wish to work for People should never base jobs on a piece of paper everyone started at the bottom of a company somewhere and I am certain some of these individuals did not have a college degree at that time. Thank You for the advice it is greatly appreciated. Thank you Connie

I think your demonstrating bad grammar skills. Your sentences are running together as well. Maybe you should look into taking some english or writting classes so you can get the type of jobs you are seeking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

gyhu tyuni in Washington, District of Columbia

20 months ago

Lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shana in Columbus, Ohio

20 months ago

gene in Fayetteville, North Carolina said: I think your demonstrating bad grammar skills. Your sentences are running together as well. Maybe you should look into taking some english or writting classes so you can get the type of jobs you are seeking.

*you're

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

gary in Burnley, United Kingdom

17 months ago

Why am I getting turned down I have had job centre trying to stop my money saying im not looking hard enough my money is getting stopped just hope someone gives me a chance soon as I have 2 kids

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.