What are typical unit secretary salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (34)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

amanda in Louisville, Kentucky

85 months ago

11.40 nights

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

We start out at $13.00/hour which is very good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Lawrenceville, Georgia

70 months ago

From the looks of your question here, may I suggest some typing courses first. And it is spelled internet!!!

rochelle poke in Saint Louis, Missouri said: i've been trying to get a job as a reception in a doctor office
at st john hospital in st louis they have opening they don't reply and when they do they say that there filled when the still show up on the enter net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

jennifer in Simpsonville, South Carolina

70 months ago

does anyone know what the pay for unit secretaries in greenville south carolina runs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (78) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Clinton Township, Michigan

68 months ago

Tamera in Harper Woods, Michigan said: 13.91 in Michigan

Where did you take the courses for this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

jm in Rochester, Michigan

68 months ago

Host said: Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

Established Hospitals pay more and include benefits. You can allmost double your salary. However they are not easy to get into and most are union. They get rid of new employees before the six month time frame that a union can represent you.

Computer literacy and medical terminology along with the ability to know what all the nurses on your unit should be doing. Experience with transcription and pharmacology along with drug interaction all of these things have helped me. This is considered a multi task position. Basically the ability to think fast on your feet and deal with any situation that might come up. Any previous medical experience is helpful in this position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ms joy in Arlington, Texas

66 months ago

Does anyone know what the pay for a unit secretary in texas (dfw area).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Xtrasystole in Corpus Christi, Texas

64 months ago

I started no training to be a Unit Clerk / Unit Coordinator on Telemetry. The starting pay with no experience except that which I had as a CNA (I am very good with computers and learned Meditech overnight however) was around $8 / hour after taxes but not including any bonus pay. Working nights (which I did) I got an additional $3 an hour and 20% base which was about $12 an hour.

So, with no experience whatsoever in the field, I was making $12 an hour my first night in that position, BUT that was at NIGHT with the additional bonus included.

I also was certified as a Telemetry Monitor Technician and that raised my pay slightly.

Recently I was offered a position as a Unit Coordinator in an ICU with a major hospital (cumulative about 4 years experience as a Unit C plus I am completing an anesthetist program following my bachelors degree). I accepted because I love acute care (ICU/ER/Trauma) and I didn't want to use my license and be stressed out in patient care while also in school full time (but an income sounded nice). The day starting pay was much better because of my experience, ability to read and interpret EKGs diagnostically (including 12 lead), cardiac monitors, and my obvious motivation to remain in healthcare. Initial offer for days was $12 an hour, however I prefer and was requested to work nights anyway. The hourly and percent increase I'm not at liberty to say but after taxes anywhere from $15-$20 an hour depending on what insurrance plan, etc...

You might note however that I also am licensed in patient care, so I can perform random tasks like starting IVs, resetting pumps, reading EKG arrhythmias, getting lab draws (in ICU we do our own draws - phlebotomy / venitechs don't).

Hope that helps...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

What state are you in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

OOps!! I'm sorry I meant to say hospital, what hospital do you work in? I'm taking a CNA course now and would like to work in a hospital so I can train for that position also, did you go into the hospital or did you fill out an application? and do you think being a CNA help you land the job? sorry for all the questions but I finish my CNA in april, sit for state in may,and will start looking for a job soon after.Thanks for any help or words of encouragement:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pebbles in Torrance, California

63 months ago

the hospital i started on started pay at 13.93 plus a 10% differential because i work second shift 3pm-11:30 pm and i get a 2% increase every 6 months so i make abour 14.93/hr plus an additional 1.49 an hour. pretty good pay although it can get very hectic

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mrs.rogers in Phillipsburg, New Jersey

60 months ago

I was a unit secretary for just over thirteen years I truly enjoyed my job, even though it can be quite stressful. I miss it a bit, I'm currently home with my children, I have a daycare in my home and homeschool my children as well. My last job as a Unit Secretary was about 6 years ago. I also had experience as a Patient Care Tech and worked various departments. My previous salary was $13.97 an hour without shift differential, $1.50 more for evenings $2.oo more for nights. In New Jersey though the cost of living is more so that the salaries would need to coincide a bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shelly in Redondo Beach, California

58 months ago

pebbles in Torrance, California said: the hospital i started on started pay at 13.93 plus a 10% differential because i work second shift 3pm-11:30 pm and i get a 2% increase every 6 months so i make abour 14.93/hr plus an additional 1.49 an hour. pretty good pay although it can get very hectic

Hi, Did you have previous experience in the hospital environment/Healthcare? I'm interested in a Unit Secretary position but wonder what my chances are of getting an interview, being that I do not have any hospital experience. Although completely qualified as far the clerical, and organizational part of the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Meissa in Burbank, California

58 months ago

I have a tip for the ones looking for unit secretary job. Most of the ones who have them either came from a different department/discipline internally, or had someone working in the establishment that can bring you in. It is very hard to apply for such a position without prior knowledge or better yet experience. I can tell you that it is a very good job to have. I was one of the lucky ones to have the opportunity to hold one without experience or education. I was only 18teen when I was hired to work in the intensive care unit with only ambition and hope. Afraid to last the probation period without getting fired; which by the way lasted 6 months. I tell anyone who will like to work with nursing and patients to keep trying until you get a break. I know have 11yrs experience and make 17.25(with shift diff) and love this job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pebblez in San Diego, California

57 months ago

Shelly in Redondo Beach, California said: Hi, Did you have previous experience in the hospital environment/Healthcare? I'm interested in a Unit Secretary position but wonder what my chances are of getting an interview, being that I do not have any hospital experience. Although completely qualified as far the clerical, and organizational part of the job.

i took a 6 month program at harbor occupational center in san pedro, however the teacher is retired i worked at torrance memorial for about 2 year until i moved here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Burbank, California

57 months ago

Hello, sorry for the delayed reply. I have good news and bad. I will start with the good one. I want to encourage you to apply for the job even if you don't seem to have all of the qualificaitons for the job. Employers looking for a good unit secretary know that they can not go by exerience alone. Hospitals are mainly looking for people who can move and adapt to the surroundings with all hospital diciplines. I had no experience when I applied so I had to sell myself when the interview came. I also invested in a good coordinator to creat a great resume to inhance my attributes. If you have a great positive energy, is a process orientated person, then you will indeed get the job.....

Good Luck!
stay in-touch if you have any other questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

cookie54 in Buffalo, New York

55 months ago

AT MY CURRENT JOB MY HOURLY RATE IS $16.30 AND 1.30 SHIFT DIFFERENTIAL. I HAVE TWO AND HALF YEARS IN THIS POSTION.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

cheri in Taylors, South Carolina

51 months ago

jennifer in Simpsonville, South Carolina said: does anyone know what the pay for unit secretaries in greenville south carolina runs?

Everything I see says around $11.00, which is low because I used to do that job 11 years ago and the pay was about the same, I went to Greenville Teh and was certified, and thought about returning but the starting pay is like 11.19. Maybe more with experience, but it really should be between 13.00 15.00 for what all it involves.

Kelly in Kansas City, Missouri

48 months ago

I'm just getting out of college and trying to apply for a job as a Unit Secretary in a hospital. The application asks for wage expectations ... can anyone tell me an appropriate amount for that job description in Missouri?

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Connie in Lincoln Park, Michigan

46 months ago

I make 14.42 an hour as a Unit Secretary. One year in the job. On the job training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ayrshirelassi in Lafayette, Louisiana

40 months ago

What would they pay in Louisiana? I need $13-16/hour. Is this a low paying job. The job description says a GED or diploma, need computer skills and medical terminology knowledge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daisy2 in Tampa, Florida

39 months ago

anyone know the pay of unit secretaries in tampa, fl.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ng in Merrimack, New Hampshire

35 months ago

I have been working as a unit secretary/lna (also known as a cna in other areas) for 4 years and think that I'm extremely underpaid at 12.86 an hour for days. I make 14.60 on the weekend days. I am the head secretary of a fairly big and very busy med surg floor and also have other training as an expert user for our computer system which I guide and train RN's and Dr's on. I am wondering if anyone else thinks they are underpaid in the this high stress demanding job field and how to go about asking for a raise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brenut in Carrollton, Missouri

33 months ago

Wow. I'm getting jipped. (sp?) I get 8.00 an hour and NO shift diff. AND I work nights. Lovely. Thanks!

Tammy in Detroit, Michigan

33 months ago

Connie in Lincoln Park, Michigan said: I make 14.42 an hour as a Unit Secretary. One year in the job. On the job training.

I'm in Dearborn Heights MI, were in the world you find 14.42? Did you have any experience? Are you in a hospital?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Girl in Atlanta GA in Sayreville, New Jersey

33 months ago

Hi, I know its been a while since you posted this but I was wondering why I always apply for these positions and never get in. Any advice would be helpful. I have CNA, PCT and EKG Certifications but no experience. :( I was accepted into a radiology program but I need a night job and experience so I apply to all the CNA, PCT, EKG and unit sec. jobs and never get an interview. Any help? Please?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sharon in Chicago, Illinois

32 months ago

first of all if you work at a hospital that has a union it usually pays less.I work at a non union hospital.When i came in for an interveiw they ask me how much i wanted in pay.i told them $14.00
now after some years i am at $15.00 plus an extra $1.25 for evening shift now.Unit clerk work is chaotic to calm on some days.I was trained as a unit clerk at rush in chicago in 1998..Some hospitals train you some don't.But, i have to say you have to have some knowledge of the medical field or you will have a rough time in the beginning.Ilove my current job and i feel needed and appreciated.

Montana in Middletown, New York

32 months ago

I am working as a temporary unit secretary filling in for someone who may or may not return. The work is challenging and rewarding and I am learning a lot. I thought $12.00/hour with a night differential of $0.15/hour was bad until I read some of the comments. I still think it is very undepaid for all of the responsibilities but I am getting the experience. I am very well versed with clerical skills but new to medical field, so this can be good if it should go full time--I can only hope right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

shygirl1186 in Binghamton, New York

25 months ago

cookie54 in Buffalo, New York said: AT MY CURRENT JOB MY HOURLY RATE IS $16.30 AND 1.30 SHIFT DIFFERENTIAL. I HAVE TWO AND HALF YEARS IN THIS POSTION.

I am just now starting off as a Unit Clerk, though I am going in with 5 yrs experience working in a nursing home setting and working numerous different positions before landing this. Is starting rate $11 sound right in NY?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ASR in Ocala, Florida

25 months ago

I just added resume assistance and creation to my listing of services. If you know of someone who may be looking to hire assistance in creating a resume let me know. My prices are very reasonable and I take MC, Visa, Discover and PayPal.

juslola in Walled Lake, Michigan

23 months ago

Host said: Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

yes...was getting 16.90, went to another hospital getting 14.70...sucks but I needed my sanity

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mslove0916 in Orlando, Florida

9 months ago

In Orlando, the starting pay is $10.52 per hour with an extra 75 cents if you work overnight. The shifts are mostly 12 hours (unless you work in the HUC pool/float). 36 hours is considered full time. If you do the math, that will have you making around $18,159 a year. The cost of living is really high here, with most 1 bedroom apartments going for a minimum of $750 per month (unless you live in the hood which I personally don't recommend). Also, you have to me cross trained as a monitor tech, and have at least 1-2 years of experience to even get an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

P in Garden Grove, California

4 months ago

I make 23.00 an hr at a for profit/union Hospital plus night diff and ive been a UC for 14 yrs,
Non profit hospitals pay significantly less...you can get certified as a UC and make approx 5$ more an hour but you must maintain the certificate otherwise your employer can terminate you.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.