What are the entry level jobs when starting a career as a Unix Admistrator

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

-root in Lancaster, California

60 months ago

I have been looking for a Unix position for abit also. Im a network engineer and been in the business for over 20 years but moving over to Unix instead. It's a good education your getting but finding a job as an admin is going to be hard as entry level. The best is to check local businesses if they need an entry level admin. Right now the economy is abit messed up and there are alot of vet admins out of jobs searching. But dont give up your hope cause unix admin is a secure and very good position. More and more companies are moving to unix.

Good luck out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sciolist in Austin, Texas

59 months ago

IMHO, the best way to get a job is to network with folks that are or will be hiring (my first IT job I got while teaching a fencing class...). Look around to your local area for Linux or Unix user groups, talk to folks in the field. You'll get a better idea of what's going to be expected of you as an admin and you will probably learn a few things, as well.

good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jdlee in Rancho Santa Fe, California

58 months ago

Well, I'm not just going to limit myself to just one operating system. Im open to work anywhere where I can get some experience with computers in hopes to reach my goal as an administrator. This industry seems to be almost imposible to get in. There are companies trying to hire HELPDESK SUPPORT TECHNICIANS ENTRY LEVEL POSITION who have three to five years experience for $15 an hour part time. I mean not everyone is doing that, but I have seen it quite a few times.That is so rediculous. I thought entry level is a position where someone is just getting there career started as far as working. If three to five years is entry level, then what is zero to one year experience. Does that even exist in this industry? Do I have know someone that can slide me into the industry? I put alot of time, effort, and money into my education to better myself to just qualify for something small at first. I mean we all have to pay our dues when we're just starting into something. What is the best way to approach this career where I can start off with a job just to be able to even be around a computer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.