What are typical upholsterer salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

frankie56 in Antioch, California

53 months ago

Host said: Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

the upholstery trade is a dieing art here in the USA
example I have 38 years of working in this trade and in 1991 I made $20 per hour at a custom upholstery shop and I had good benefits to go along with that
today if I would get a job like I had 20 years ago I would get the same pay with less benefits and that's in the San Francisco bay area and in other areas the pay would be less unless you are working for your self forget the trade and become a plumber or electrician
but if you cant help your self and you really like the upholstery trade then learn all you can cut sew spring up complete upholstery preferably from an old timer who has the experience and if something is to difficult to upholster you are doing something wrong a upholsterer has to be patient

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

red the best in Pompano Beach, Florida

53 months ago

WHAT EVER YOU SAID WAS 100% CORRECT..I WAS BORN IN MY FATHERS UPH SHOP, ALMOST.. I GREW UP WITH ALL THE OLD MASTERS WHO BUCKEYED IN THE SHOP AT NIGHT. I WAS A GOOD WATCHER, AND LEARNED TO MUCH.I BECAME A VERY GOOD UPH.AND TRIED MY OWN FORMULARS AS WELL. I COULD CUT , SEW TUFT. I ALSO DESIGNED AND MADE MY FRAMES WHEN I HAD TIME.I DONE GREAT SPRING EDGE SPRINGING. NOW AFTER ALL MY MASTERING OF THIS TRADE I BECAME EXTINCT. NO ONE DOES REUPH. ANYMORE. ALL THAT LEARNING IS WASTED. BUT I ENJOYED EVERY MOMENT IN THE TRADE. GOOD LUCK IN WHATEVER YOU DO.HAVE PATIENCE.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

papasage in Fitzgerald, Georgia

47 months ago

looking for some one to take over buisness . have a good clintell. 47 years ready to retire . will help out and will finance .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

papasage in Fitzgerald, Georgia

47 months ago

will sell and finanse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

barry in Australia

29 months ago

as an ex upholsterer, self employed for over 10 years of a twenty year career, i can tell you that the trade is dead as it once was.furn manufacturers learnt that by splintering the trade into sections, they no longer needed tradesmen who knew every aspect of upholstery and could hire anyone to be taught a simple part of the job and pay
them less in a production line atmosphere. upholsterers were stitched up. forget it.
the only to make mony in upholstery is in the antique field, but you must use the genuine methods and materials. working in a factory on a piece work basis was like doing 8 hours a day of aerobic excercise to be faster than everybody else in order to earn good money.quality was not a concern, just speed. you could earn 120-140 dollars a day if you were fast. making up to six complete pieces a day that usually retailed for around 1000 dollars or more. althou we had skill, we had no union help and suffered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.