Too old to become a Vet?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 100)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Andrea in Katy, Texas

89 months ago

Zac in Windsor, California said: Correction to my last sentance....

If i managed to get it done would anyone hire a newbie at 38 or 39 years old?

Hey Zac,
I've been struggling with the same thing, except I'm almost 43!!! My kids are all in college now themselves. I'm not sure I could handle going back to school, but if I knew that I could be hired when I'm 51!!!!, I'd do it.

I say, if you really want to do, do it now!! Don't wait until you're my age!

Good luck on your decision!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

missionvet in Northridge, California

80 months ago

I see older vets graduate all the time. YOUR NOT THAT OLD!!!!!
You may think you are but your not so do it.

www.missionvet.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Grae in El Cajon, California

80 months ago

In truth, most veterinary schools do not require an undergraduate degree. Most require somewhere on the order of 60 to 80 semester units, specifically distributed between subjects like general biology, anatomy, genetics, chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, physics, etc. plus a smattering of liberal arts units. This depends entirely on the vet school(s) that you would like to apply to. Although an undergraduate degree is certainly helpful, if you have the requisites plus experience (400+ hours seems to be the minimum for most schools), it is doable without. The best thing that you can do is to contact the different vet schools that you would be interested in. It is absolutely a major committment of both time and money, but if that's your bliss, follow it.

Otherwise, perhaps you can look into becoming veterinary technician certified, or even just volunteering your time at a shelter, animal control facility, or vet clinic near you.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Ellen in Willoughby, Ohio

79 months ago

Grae in El Cajon, California said: In truth, most veterinary schools do not require an undergraduate degree. Most require somewhere on the order of 60 to 80 semester units, specifically distributed between subjects like general biology, anatomy, genetics, chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, physics, etc. plus a smattering of liberal arts units. This depends entirely on the vet school(s) that you would like to apply to. Although an undergraduate degree is certainly helpful, if you have the requisites plus experience (400+ hours seems to be the minimum for most schools), it is doable without. The best thing that you can do is to contact the different vet schools that you would be interested in. It is absolutely a major committment of both time and money, but if that's your bliss, follow it.

Otherwise, perhaps you can look into becoming veterinary technician certified, or even just volunteering your time at a shelter, animal control facility, or vet clinic near you.

Good luck!

I would love to become a vet! I am 56, and though I don't believe I'll pursue it, I know I would have loved this profession. However, my 27-year old son Geoff, currently studying to be a vet tech, would make a wonderful vet. He struggles with depression, however, so it's a tough road. I'm hoping once he's a registered Vet Tech., possibly he'll want to continue. Animals seem to melt in his presence, and he's very level-headed, practical and intelligent. Any advice out there for Geoff?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Rachel in Dayton, Ohio

79 months ago

Nothing will age you more than a day to day job you can't find the satisfaction in doing. Why not live out your dreams? What will you say when you're 40, 50, or 60 years old when looking back on moments like these? Maybe your determination will show your children and grandchildren that it's never "too late" to aspire for something more. Your only failure is never trying!
Good Luck! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

A.C. in Tujunga, California

78 months ago

I'm 32 and I dropped out for various reasons from pre-veterinary program. I think I might be going back because I cannot imagine doing anything else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

r.k. in Muskogee, Oklahoma

78 months ago

Go for it! The vet i use didn't go until she was in her late 30's and she's awesome!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

pavet in Newtown, Pennsylvania

77 months ago

From experience, go for it if that is what you really desire. VERY seriously consider not only the curriculum, but also your debt burden after you graduate. Depending on the vet school, you can easily potenially end up with $200,000 in student loans. When you look at the interest rate on student loans lately (6-7%), over 30 years, you will be adding many more thousand in interest.

It is a very rewarding career, however, the training is much like human medical school, if not more intense due to the amount of material covered (many species) in only 4 years. Being strong in the sciences is a must if you plan to pass your courses.

Would do it again, but would have done it sooner. Having children while having to pay debit is stressful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

38 & Contemplating too,,, in Greenwood, Indiana

77 months ago

pavet in Newtown, Pennsylvania said: From experience, go for it if that is what you really desire. VERY seriously consider not only the curriculum, but also your debt burden after you graduate. Depending on the vet school, you can easily potenially end up with $200,000 in student loans. When you look at the interest rate on student loans lately (6-7%), over 30 years, you will be adding many more thousand in interest.

It is a very rewarding career, however, the training is much like human medical school, if not more intense due to the amount of material covered (many species) in only 4 years. Being strong in the sciences is a must if you plan to pass your courses.

Would do it again, but would have done it sooner. Having children while having to pay debit is stressful.

Pavet, you bring up an excellent point about the debt to potential income issues that I have just begun to try and address in my own mind as I struggle with this "too old to go back" mentality. I was a licensed Vet Tech many moons ago and switched over to Social work and am now FRIED beyond belief. Can't afford to go back to Vet Tech pay, but in my recent research have seen that first year Vets in the Midwest are only starting out at around $56K...I only make $7k less than that now and to take on $200K in debt doesn't make sense...or does it? Are those earnings figures wrong?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Leslie in Augusta, Georgia

76 months ago

38 & Contemplating too,,, in Greenwood, Indiana said: Pavet, you bring up an excellent point about the debt to potential income issues that I have just begun to try and address in my own mind as I struggle with this "too old to go back" mentality. I was a licensed Vet Tech many moons ago and switched over to Social work and am now FRIED beyond belief. Can't afford to go back to Vet Tech pay, but in my recent research have seen that first year Vets in the Midwest are only starting out at around $56K...I only make $7k less than that now and to take on $200K in debt doesn't make sense...or does it? Are those earnings figures wrong?

I am 26 years old and I teach Kindergarten. I have a BS is Early Childhood Education and a Creative Arts in Teaching Masters degree. As I start my 4th year of teaching, I find my self exhausted and frightened by the idea of teaching for the next 30 years. I love my job. I love to teach. But I can't see myself lasting until retirement age. Being a Vet has always been a "pipe dream" of mine but the amount of school it would take scared me off when I went to college and declared my major. Lately, I've expressed my thoughts of a possible career change and my husband has been very supportive. We have been married for 2 years and we have no children. I realize that if I'm going to make a career change, now is the best time. My husband is willing to move anywhere with me so that I could attend vet school. My question is...how do I know if I'm smart enough? I made good grades in high school, college, and grad school...but all those sciences! It's been years since I've taken a Biology class! How do I know if I'll be good at it? Can I go to vet school and still hold down a full time job? It's exciting to think about this career change, but it's also soooo scary. Any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

38 & Contemplating too,,, in Greenwood, Indiana

76 months ago

I'd say you're DEFINITELY smart enough!!! Don't ever doubt yourself like that...that doubt alone will undermine you and be the worst thing you could do to yourself. Chances are you'll have pre-req science classes like biology, chemistry and genetics that you'd have to take before you even applied to an actual Vet school, so you'd A) find out how difficult the sciences are from those and realize that you CAN do it and B) you could do those classes part time while working full time. The actual Vet program that I looked in to at Purdue was 4 years full time and I could not imagine trying to work a part time job at night even while doing that, but I do have a child too. Purdue was great at evaluating my transcripts and telling me what I would need too. I'd encourage you to contact a Vet school you're interested in and ask them if they could do the same. GOOD LUCK!!! And THANK YOU for being a teacher! It is a very difficult career these days that is horribly underpaid and underappreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Vet tech Woman/Hospital manager in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

75 months ago

Leslie in Augusta, Georgia said: I am 26 years old and I teach Kindergarten. I have a BS is Early Childhood Education and a Creative Arts in Teaching Masters degree. As I start my 4th year of teaching, I find my self exhausted and frightened by the idea of teaching for the next 30 years. I love my job. I love to teach. But I can't see myself lasting until retirement age. Being a Vet has always been a "pipe dream" of mine but the amount of school it would take scared me off when I went to college and declared my major. Lately, I've expressed my thoughts of a possible career change and my husband has been very supportive. We have been married for 2 years and we have no children. I realize that if I'm going to make a career change, now is the best time. My husband is willing to move anywhere with me so that I could attend vet school. My question is...how do I know if I'm smart enough? I made good grades in high school, college, and grad school...but all those sciences! It's been years since I've taken a Biology class! How do I know if I'll be good at it? Can I go to vet school and still hold down a full time job? It's exciting to think about this career change, but it's also soooo scary. Any advice?

Apply to ross university( private college
). I ahve heard that if you meet the minimum qualifications and are willing to pay you can get in. I went to there info session and i was impressed. I vet at my practice went there.. she reccomended attending ross for 1 semester and then transfering to a state school becuase ross is expensive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

shanice in Warragul, Australia

75 months ago

Chase in Arlington, Texas said: Hey you are never to old to go to school. I'm currently enrolled in a Vet Tech program, and then im going to later transfer to a 4 year degree, then work research for a while, then go back for 4 more years so I can be a Vet... true it takes about 8 years to do. But you are no where near too old! Plus if you really dont want to go back to school for that long get in a vet tech/assistant program, at least you would be able to work in a vets office.

Your right you are never to old to go back to school my grandma goes and shes 63!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Zac in Windsor, California said: I am 31 years old. I do not have a 4 year degree. I have worked full time since 16. I completed high school and have about 40 units at the junior college level. I have done many things- IT director (have a specialized cert. from two years school in computers), self employed real estate investor (still do this on the side), mortgage broker etc... I have always wanted to be a Vet since i was young but could not afford college out of high school, had to go to work. Is it to late for me? i know it would be a lot of years and a lot of hard work and very time consuming. If i managed to get it done would anyone hire a newbie at 28 or 29 years old??

Thats very true you should be able to be a vet because youve worked so hard on it and they are not giving you even a chance! I think thats just plain rude to you I should report this abuse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Zac in Windsor, California said: I'm still considering it. I had to take my Cackatoo Harley to the vet yesterday...looks like he probably has Beak and feather disease which is usually termibal. I will know Wed. if I have to put my very good friend down. Any ways talked to the vet and he said the average age of people entering Vet school is in the early 30's, but he said that he had a couple people in their late 50's graduate with him. Getting hired is a big question. I would be under 40, but the biggest question for me is how am i going to support my family while going to school full time. Baby on the way due in December, wife wont be working...

This is a hard deceision, but i am thinking about starting the under grad work locally and then when that is done i will have to try and get into vet school at Davis in CA. Would mean a move for the family most likely...

Also a little scared of all the science classes, dont get me wrong, its all very intersting to me, but when you cant pronounce some of the course names it makes it scary.

I am a very smart guy that has built and lost a sucessful business, and has started over on the same, but i havent been in a classroom on over 12 years!!

So my deceision has to be do I want to follow my dream and become a Vet, or stick to business.....

So what if you havent been in the classroom for over 12 years you should be able to be a vet and thats that! So what school did you go to? What made you want to be a vet? Who old are you? Why wont they accept you? If they dont accept you because your age thats just plain old mean!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

lizardman in Phoenix, Arizona

75 months ago

I'm turning 37 in a couple months and just started with my science prereqs. I have 2 bachelor degrees and zero experience in the sciences. It's always been my dream to be a vet and I finally said enough is enough. I'm going for my dream. For the record I've been contemplating doing this for 5 years now. I remember when I was 32 wondering if I was too old. You know what? If I would have just started back then I would be a Vet by now. I don't want to be 45 having to realize if I would have started today my dream would have been achieved by my early - mid forties. Life's too short to not go for your dreams. Just do it and before you know it your success will be not only obtaining your dream job- but knowing you had the internal drive and conviction to believe in yourself. The only person who can make things happen is you. Nobody else can get you started. So just do it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Alec in Zapopan, Mexico

67 months ago

Love the forum...If it makes anyone feel better Im 29 and a first year student who is transfering to Ross vet school and Im loosing all my first year credits. Eve thou, I am not happy studying human medicine and the Idea of being a vet it awesome. Good luck to all and let the world get heal by vets.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pinkmister1999@yahoo.com in East Liverpool, Ohio

66 months ago

Zac in Windsor, California said: I am 31 years old. I do not have a 4 year degree. I have worked full time since 16. I completed high school and have about 40 units at the junior college level. I have done many things- IT director (have a specialized cert. from two years school in computers), self employed real estate investor (still do this on the side), mortgage broker etc... I have always wanted to be a Vet since i was young but could not afford college out of high school, had to go to work. Is it to late for me? i know it would be a lot of years and a lot of hard work and very time consuming. If i managed to get it done would anyone hire a newbie at 28 or 29 years old??

i wanted to be a veternarian since i was old enough yo see and hear but im 9

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pinkmister1999@yahoo.com in East Liverpool, Ohio

66 months ago

well i want to be a veternarian since i was 1 im 9 so

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Drew in Brooklyn, New York

64 months ago

Rachel in Dayton, Ohio said: Nothing will age you more than a day to day job you can't find the satisfaction in doing. Why not live out your dreams? What will you say when you're 40, 50, or 60 years old when looking back on moments like these? Maybe your determination will show your children and grandchildren that it's never "too late" to aspire for something more. Your only failure is never trying!
Good Luck! :)

I'm 26 years old, and I was thinking I was to old to pursue becoming a Marine Mammal Vet, but your words alone have inspired me to do so. Thank You!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tammy in Muncie, Indiana

64 months ago

I wish that I could count my current experience towards the degree. I actually would not have to go that long. I am a nurse practitioner. I was in prevet until I had my first child and my husband got sick. I look how I did it now and I spent just as much time getting my NP. I wish I had better advisors. I went for nursing because I needed a quick degree and had to have health insurance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kris in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

I just want to say that this topic is so inspirational. I'm in my late 30s. I have a bachelor's in the financial field--only had like 1 or 2 science classes. I want to be a DVM, and you guys have really given me the courage to do this. By the way, here's a site I found for Pre-Vet students. They discuss schools challenges, etc.:

forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=73

And the American Veterinary Medicine Association has a page letting you know which DVM, vet tech, online programs, etc. are accredited in each state, and other countries as well:

www.avma.org/education/cvea/default.asp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Danielle in Maple Heights, Ohio

62 months ago

I have been sitting here reading every one of your responses on here.. and I agree this is very inspirational, and comforting! I am 22 years old, younger than most of the other posters, and I myself have been afraid of being too old to start over. I was in my junior year of college when I ceased enrollment, as a result of changing my major multiple times, not knowing what I wanted to do. My biggest passion in life is animals, and their well-being, so I have been thinking about becoming a vet as well! I have also been terrified of the idea of all the science classes... I have not had biology since high school, and never had a true chemistry class. It seems we all have similar concerns, and it all boils down to FEAR. The more time I waste thinking about it, the older I get! I read somewhere that you just need any kind of science undergrad degree to be qualified for vet school? ALSO: This is important: I love animals SO much, I get upset when I see them suffer. Is there any possibility I can overcome this? I want to help animals and save every single one in the world, but my biggest fear is not being able to handle seeing them in pain. Has anyone else had this problem, but went on to vet school? how did you overcome it??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marie Bacon in Columbia, South Carolina

61 months ago

Danielle in Maple Heights, Ohio said: Is there any possibility I can overcome this? I want to help animals and save every single one in the world, but my biggest fear is not being able to handle seeing them in pain. Has anyone else had this problem, but went on to vet school? how did you overcome it??

I'm also 22, about to finish a bachelors in humanities, and contemplating going right back to study Biology. From what I've gleaned so far, most DVM schools expect a bachelors, though it's not required.

As for the fear of watching animals suffer, I wonder about that as well. I've seen animals suffer a lot and have been powerless to do anything about it, because my family hated animals. But there always seemed to be strays around us and I wished so badly that I could so something! If I were a veterinarian, I could look into that suffering and know that I could do something. I may not succeed; the animal may die or need to be put down, but I could know that I tried to alleviate suffering. I could know that I wasn't too scared to return to school; I wasn't too scared to work hard; and I wasn't too overwhelmed by my own emotions and was able to help an animal in pain. When I think of it that way, it makes me want to go forward. I'm still thinking through it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in New Delhi, India

61 months ago

Hello,
I am 22 and I recently graduated with a Bachelor's in art and anthropology. I am seriously contemplating returning to school to complete the pre-vet requirements and apply to veterinary school. I share similar concerns to several people in this forum, a fear of being "too old" to start over and also a fear of leaving the security of the path I am currently on.

I have been thinking, however, in terms of the long-view, of what I wish to do primarily in my life. I wish for my public life and work to be in the service of the welfare of others, and there is no reason why I cannot pursue other interests in the background, so to speak.

Thank you all for the mutual encouragement you have been offering. I hope you all choose the path that fits the arc of your life and you find the courage to commit to your passion.

Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Glenda in Los Angeles, California

59 months ago

Does anyone know of someone who actually went back to veterinary school at 50 years old? I am considering this...and would love to talk to someone who actually did it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bree in Coleville, California

58 months ago

I'm thinking of going for a vet tech cert. as a way to get experience for my application to vet school - and this way I have a plan B if I'm not accepted. Is this a bad idea? (I'm 29) I have a BA in Psychology, of all things!

Tes in Champaign, Illinois

58 months ago

Danielle in Maple Heights, Ohio said: I have been sitting here reading every one of your responses on here.. and I agree this is very inspirational, and comforting! I am 22 years old, younger than most of the other posters, and I myself have been afraid of being too old to start over. I was in my junior year of college when I ceased enrollment, as a result of changing my major multiple times, not knowing what I wanted to do. My biggest passion in life is animals, and their well-being, so I have been thinking about becoming a vet as well! I have also been terrified of the idea of all the science classes... I have not had biology since high school, and never had a true chemistry class. It seems we all have similar concerns, and it all boils down to FEAR. The more time I waste thinking about it, the older I get! I read somewhere that you just need any kind of science undergrad degree to be qualified for vet school? ALSO: This is important: I love animals SO much, I get upset when I see them suffer. Is there any possibility I can overcome this? I want to help animals and save every single one in the world, but my biggest fear is not being able to handle seeing them in pain. Has anyone else had this problem, but went on to vet school? how did you overcome it??

FEAR is what it is. It took me seven years ( I'm 25 now ) to really commit myself to sticking with school to be a VET. I hate hate hate chemistry and physics. I struggle in those classes the most but I talk to a vet once and said she had the same problem in school but if you can just pass those two classes and excel in the other classes like biology then you have a shot of getting in to Vet school

Yeoman in Casper, Wyoming

58 months ago

I'm also considering this. I'm 46 years old, and have been pondering going back to vet school for a couple of years.

Am I fooling myself? As noted, I'm 46, and I'm about to turn 47. I'm a lawyer now, and I just hate it. I don't really like working in confrontational situations, and I really like animals better than most people I have to work with. I'd really like to be a veterinarian, but I have two kids who are still young.

All thoughts are welcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

glinka in Los Angeles, California

58 months ago

Hi,

I am going to be talking to some veterinarians that went to school later in life. I'd like to know how it's working for them. I too hate working with people...well some of the time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley in Albuquerque, New Mexico

58 months ago

Bree in Coleville, California said: I'm thinking of going for a vet tech cert. as a way to get experience for my application to vet school - and this way I have a plan B if I'm not accepted. Is this a bad idea? (I'm 29) I have a BA in Psychology, of all things!

Bree, this is exactly what my plan is and I just turned 30. I am working on a vet tech associate's degree, and am volunteering at a local animal shelter on the weekends. My plan is to continue working on my B.S. in animal science as I work as a vet tech, and when I'm done with the B.S., I will apply for vet schools. And hey, if I can't get into vet school for some reason, at least I will still get to work in the veterinary field and have pride in completing my B.S.

It is really good to see that people of all ages are getting into vet school. I thought I was too old because by the time I finish my B.S., I will be 33, give or take a year, which means I wouldn't finish vet school until 37 or 38. This thread is inspiring.

Bree in Coleville, California

58 months ago

Can't say how exciting it is to see other people in the same boat! Do you think you need an animal science degree, or could you just take the science classes required? I've looked at UC Davis' site and they list the courses - also they say they like students from diverse educational backgrounds. We've got that covered!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Old Vet in Tomelilla, Sweden

58 months ago

I am a vet and have been for 25 years - why do I feel like a looser? I like my job but it is a profession in decline, status, pay, costs-you name it it's getting harder every year. If possible study medicine and have animals as a hobby. Ask vets hard questions about pay, career ops ect. Im 54. Good luck but the grass is not always greener......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

tessa in Champaign, Illinois

58 months ago

Bree in Coleville, California said: Can't say how exciting it is to see other people in the same boat! Do you think you need an animal science degree, or could you just take the science classes required? I've looked at UC Davis' site and they list the courses - also they say they like students from diverse educational backgrounds. We've got that covered!

You don't need a animal science degree but most schools do require that you take certain science classes, like chemistry 1 & 2, organic,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tessa in Champaign, Illinois

58 months ago

Old Vet in Tomelilla, Sweden said: I am a vet and have been for 25 years - why do I feel like a looser? I like my job but it is a profession in decline, status, pay, costs-you name it it's getting harder every year. If possible study medicine and have animals as a hobby. Ask vets hard questions about pay, career ops ect. Im 54. Good luck but the grass is not always greener......

Maybe it's bad in Sweden. Things are different for different countries. I love animals and I hate to think of all the schooling I have to go through in order to help animals but it is the only career that I'm my own boss and I can have the primary decision

58 months ago

Dear Tessa
Everybody should chase their dreams and I didnt mean to be an old F*rt. Im American and licensed in New York as well. Sweden has widespread health insurance for pets which makes it easier to get paid for your services. I am pleased with my choice as well it is just that I personaly believe that the years, money and dedication are better spent in med school. Please look at DVM magazines web page and read Dr. Snyder's comments on this. If you have a spouse with a good income then it's another thing altogether. At this time in history vet jobs are getting scarce, cost of equipment astronomical. By 2020 there will be 48% more vets in the US looking for work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yeoman in Rock Springs, Wyoming

58 months ago

Old Vet's comments are sobering. The same situation applies, I'm afraid, in darned near all the professions.

I'd be cautious about choosing medical school instead, however. I chose law as a compromise career when my first one didn't work out, and I hate it, and I'm regarded as successful. Indeed, that's the case for almost every lawyer I know. A person needs to work, but they need to be careful about assuming that a compromise will work out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tessa in Charleston, Illinois

58 months ago

I don't want to be a vet who just sees patients for shots and that's it. I want to really get out in the world and help in my community, like open up a shelter. I'm not in it for the money. But I feel if I don't have a DVM then I can't open up my shelter. And I can't be a Vet Tech because I don't like to work under people it's my leader attitude. I work in a medical hospital now, and med school is out of the question because there is to much political insurance agenda in medicine. Believe me I have first hand knowledge of that, working in a hospital as well as being a person who has had many open heart surgeries. Thanks for the insight. I just want to help animals and make a decent living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

There is no problem in giving your time and services for free if you dont have any debt, own your dwelling and energy sources and consume little or nothing. You will be a very popular vet as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

blizvet in Irvine, California

57 months ago

glinka in Los Angeles, California said: Hi,

I am going to be talking to some veterinarians that went to school later in life. I'd like to know how it's working for them. I too hate working with people...well some of the time.

If you don't like working with people then I don't know if being a Veterinarian is for you. Unfortunately the "idea" of taking care of animals is great however, its dealing with the owners of the animals that is a huge part of being a veterinarian. Also, depends if you want to go to a good veterinary school or just one to get passed. Don't forget you have to take the State Board Exam which is not easy. I went to get a bachelors in Mechanical Engineering and then went to 6 years Veterinary school. Science, Anatomy and Math have a lot to do with veterinary school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Unless you work at a shelter there will be a person between you and your patient. You must like people to be effective as a vet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

soontobeOldervetstudent in Evanston, Illinois

56 months ago

I think I should weight in on this thread, since I started the process of pre-requisites for vet school about...7 years ago and am now 38 and was just accepted to my in-state school.
I was an art major in college, and after college did artsy-type jobs until I realized after several years of being a web designer that I wanted to do something more interesting with my life. I started taking classes in science and did...OK. I took *more* classes and did better. It took me several more years, but I worked full time, was able to save enough money for tuition (thanks to my husband as well), and got a lot of varied animal experience along the way.

My husband and I are VERY realistic about how much it is going to cost to finance this 'dream' of mine-and I'm so thankful I am going to be able to fulfill it, but I honestly don't know if I'd do it if I had to take out $200k of loans to repay. I would NEVER consider human medicine because I am simply not interested, besides, I would need a longer residency after med school and after vet school I can be an associate vet right away. I love educating people about animals, and I love working with animals. I am very excited about starting school in the fall...if anyone wants to read about how its all going-check out my blog (which isn't very populated yet, but give me a few months!!!! bookmark it):
oldladyinvetschool.blogspot.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Drole in Woodbridge, Virginia

56 months ago

Hello everyone!, This is amazing. Thank You all for being such inspiration to me. I am 21 and taking a few classes in a community college.

Me: I've been the eternally undecided student. Going from major to major.I knew I liked animals but felt too lazy to be a vet, so I decided to go for an Animal Science degree at the age of 16. Because I was so young I didn't see how stupid was I being by not going to class, and studying? Not at all.
I soon found myself failing a couple of semesters and decided to run away. I moved to the states 3 years ago with no idea on what to do with my life, totally lost. I started to take Esl English classes at a community college last fall, and decided to work hard and so I've been taking some math,English and chemistry and did good.(All A's but English).

Last weekend I realized that I missed the times I worked with animals during my first years of college in my home country. And here I am 21, starting to follow my dreams for the first time.
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE, MAY WE ALL GET TO LIVE OUR DREAMS :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

me in Wichita, Kansas

55 months ago

Yeoman in Casper, Wyoming said: I'm also considering this. I'm 46 years old, and have been pondering going back to vet school for a couple of years.

Am I fooling myself? As noted, I'm 46, and I'm about to turn 47. I'm a lawyer now, and I just hate it. I don't really like working in confrontational situations, and I really like animals better than most people I have to work with. I'd really like to be a veterinarian, but I have two kids who are still young.

All thoughts are welcome.

Welcome to my world! I feel exactly like you do and I'm the same age. I'm a file clerk for lawyers and I hate it. I've worked a ton of crappy, dead-end jobs and have no education or savings to show for it. I would be happy going to Vet Tech school but there isn't one within 3 hrs. of where I live. I would LOVE to hear how "older" vets or vet techs managed to get their degrees with similar obstacles.
Thanks.
Karen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dr. Dave in Cincinnati, Ohio

54 months ago

Karen in Witchita:

I was 29 when I decided to go to vet school, had to essentially start over at a community college, transfer to a four year school then go to vet school. I was 37 when I graduated. There were older students than I in vet school (the record for oldest graduate at Ross, where I attended, was 61), I noticed they tended to struggle a little, I saw a number drop out, but some made it through. There are a number of accredited distance learning options out there for vet tech school now. Purdue, Penn Foster, St Petersburg Jr College in FL, a place in Dallas...the list gets larger all the time. You usually have to have some college credits already, be employed at a vet hospital in some capacity and have your vet or techs there supervise the labs that are required.

Old Vet in Sweden: I agree completely, you must be a people person to function in private practice. I have also worked in the shelter environment,and the politics of shelters have to be experienced to be believed. Its never just about animals. I worked with a vet from Sweden (Upsala I think?) and she said there was essentially no overpopulation of pets in Sweden, that the whole ethic regarding animal ownership is different over there. True?

Tessa: you can sure as shootin' open a shelter without spending eight years and 200,000 dollars on getting a DVM degree. Be careful to not become a collector (ie, someone who can't say no and ends up with 400 cats in their basement-its way more common a problem than you think). Becoming a vet tech and finding a vet who will work with you over the phone and in person from time to time sounds like a much better idea to me, especially if you start out small, which you should. If you REALLY want to make a difference in the lives of animals consider opening a spay/neuter clinic if your area does not have one already. Cat spay neuter only would be even better, 75% of the 4 million animals being killed at shelters every year are cats.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Trixie in Cleveland, Ohio

54 months ago

I am 28 years old, a licensed veterinary technician, LATG certified and a mananger at a local animal research facility. I have a BS in Animal Science and ned only to complete 4 classes left over from then to be eligible for the vet school I am focused on attending. I have worked for two major pharmaceutical company doing toxicological and clinical studies. I have worked for shelters, and clinics, and emergency hospitals. I am consumed with self-doubt...I could get two Master's degrees basically free, courtesy of my company, or I could leave it all behind to pursue my dream. I feel like I am jealous of vets that I have met, and now that I have branched out into the world, I feel resentful of vets I have made as friends, simply because deep down I want to be them. I feel like I have settled for this life, which is in all other comparisons, great! I have moved around alot for jobs and haven't had the opportunity to complete these few classes until now, and I feel like I'm sabotaging the opportunity! I don't want to spend the rest of my life wondering "what if?" but am scared of jumping out there. That fact in itself is causing my anxiety AND the fact that I am ALMOST at my goal actually terrifies me...what can I do to get out of my own way and bravely reach out and grab my dream?? Is it because I am older and too aware of life's tribulations?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

me in Wichita, Kansas

54 months ago

Take the leap. You are too young, too smart and too close to making your dream a reality not to pursue it. DON'T WALK FURTHER DOWN THE ROAD OF MEDIOCRITY AND ALLOW LIFE TO STIFLE YOUR PASSION! If it doesn't work out you have a full resume of experience you can fall back on. Yes, life is scarey but not making the effort to live your God-given calling is will crush your spirit. You can do it...and I need to take my own advise!
Best of Luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vet in Makati, Philippines

50 months ago

my mom is a veterinarian.and she is planning to work abroad but she is 52 yrs old already is it still possible for her to work abroad as a vet?can you share me some link of companies who still hires old vet.most especially in australia.thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

2am in Rockford, Illinois

50 months ago

Well im 26, started out good in high school but once I started college, I was undecided and lost my focus. Now trying to stay a float on minimum wage, I think im being unrealistic to try going back and becoming a vet. However I'm extremely interested in the inner workings of things and would love performing surgery, as well as saving lives. all ready give shots to livestock raised on family farm. Im wondering if I could get a night shift job at an ER vet clinic just to get started some way.(thinking i'd have a better chance of getting hired without v-tech degree) dont want to take vet tech classes if credit doesn't count. Just need a few classes to get Associates degree...but how do I afford going to a 4-year and If my gpa doesnt look good what do I do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mrcpu1 in Duarte, California

50 months ago

Now I don't feel so old.... yes I do, but I see that should not be a deciding factor. I've been in the IT industry for over 30 years, I started at 16, but my passion has always been animals.

Now I want to return to school and become a certified RVT. I am 48, but I see myself at 55 or 60 working with animals at a clinic. I will have to go with Penn Foster though as I can't take the time off work to take some of the classes in regular school.

It's never too late to start -- I'm starting this month.
Question though, how do you find a veterinarian or clinic willing to give an older student a chance especially with regards to the practicum on-line courses require you perform? I can see in most cases the student is already working for a vet, however, I'm not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.