How do I get a job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

allieoverton in Mukilteo, Washington

97 months ago

Hi I am a 16 year old student that is interested in becoming a vet. I love animals and I really want to get some experience working at a vet office. Is there any way for me to get a job maybe cleaning or something like that? I have been applying but I can't ever find anyone that will hire 16 year olds. Currently I volunteer at the Woodland Park Zoo in the contact area so I have some experience working with animals but I would really like to find a paid position somewhere. Thanks for your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Kristin in Jersey City, New Jersey

95 months ago

Hi Allie,
I am a veterinarian originally from Oregon but now in the Manhattan area. I work with small animals and also at a zoo upstate. I saw your posting and it very much reminded me of when I was your age and interested in becoming a vet. I very much understand your desire for a paid position, but at this point in your life you have the unique opportunity of having TIME to do volunteer work, without the NEED of a paycheck. That part doesn't last, and trust me that becoming a veterinarian is a whole lot easier if you get some good volunteer time behind you at a clinic near where you live. They will likely hire you on after you have proven yourself by showing up weekly for a set number of hours for a few months. I volunteered an entire summer at a hospital before they offered me a kennel job. In return I asked for a technician job and they were willing to take me on and train me, because they knew I would be a good employee at that point. That was 10yr ago, and vet school was SO much easier having worked as a technician in multiple practices.

So good luck, and go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

lol123 in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

Kristin in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Hi Allie,
I am a veterinarian originally from Oregon but now in the Manhattan area. I work with small animals and also at a zoo upstate. I saw your posting and it very much reminded me of when I was your age and interested in becoming a vet. I very much understand your desire for a paid position, but at this point in your life you have the unique opportunity of having TIME to do volunteer work, without the NEED of a paycheck. That part doesn't last, and trust me that becoming a veterinarian is a whole lot easier if you get some good volunteer time behind you at a clinic near where you live. They will likely hire you on after you have proven yourself by showing up weekly for a set number of hours for a few months. I volunteered an entire summer at a hospital before they offered me a kennel job. In return I asked for a technician job and they were willing to take me on and train me, because they knew I would be a good employee at that point. That was 10yr ago, and vet school was SO much easier having worked as a technician in multiple practices.

um i jst wanted to know if u were a real vet cause i need help with mi school project.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Ally in Port Orchard, Washington

64 months ago

Kristin in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Hi Allie,

Hi, I too want to be a Vet too, And so I should volunteer first, correct? And then ask if I could work there? I am too 16 years old, gonna be 16 in august.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ally in Port Orchard, Washington

64 months ago

Hi, I too want to be a Vet too, And so I should volunteer first, correct? And then ask if I could work there? I am too 16 years old, gonna be 16 in august

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

James in Hatfield, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Ally in Port Orchard, Washington said: Hi, I too want to be a Vet too, And so I should volunteer first, correct? And then ask if I could work there? I am too 16 years old, gonna be 16 in august

yep, get as much volunteer experience as you can. That's pretty much a requirement of veterinary school is shadowing experience, pretty much following a vet around and seeing what they do etc

forums.studentdoctor.net/ <---good forum if your interested in becoming a vet

you also have to take courses like chemistry, biology, etc and do well on them

good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

maria in Paterson, New Jersey

57 months ago

hi,i am maria and i also want to be a vet animals are my life and i love them with all my heart if i could work with them i will do everything fine

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

MIRA nene in Port Orange, Florida

54 months ago

i want ot be a vet but i don't know how to become one. do i have to do ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

brandon watkins in Auburn, California

8 months ago

Allie Overton in Mukilteo, Washington said: Hi I am a 16 year old student that is interested in becoming a vet. I love animals and I really want to get some experience working at a vet office. Is there any way for me to get a job maybe cleaning or something like that? I have been applying but I can't ever find anyone that will hire 16 year olds. Currently I volunteer at the Woodland Park Zoo in the contact area so I have some experience working with animals but I would really like to find a paid position somewhere. Thanks for your help!

you can start by going to your local vetrinery clinic and ask if you can help by cleaning the cages

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

brandon watkins in Auburn, California

8 months ago

you can go to your local vet clinic and ask if they need help with cleaning the cages that the animals stay in and if you want to become a vet there is a lot of cleaning

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.