How do I get a job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Allie Overton in Mukilteo, Washington

77 months ago

Hi I am a 16 year old student that is interested in becoming a vet. I love animals and I really want to get some experience working at a vet office. Is there any way for me to get a job maybe cleaning or something like that? I have been applying but I can't ever find anyone that will hire 16 year olds. Currently I volunteer at the Woodland Park Zoo in the contact area so I have some experience working with animals but I would really like to find a paid position somewhere. Thanks for your help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kristin in Jersey City, New Jersey

75 months ago

Hi Allie,
I am a veterinarian originally from Oregon but now in the Manhattan area. I work with small animals and also at a zoo upstate. I saw your posting and it very much reminded me of when I was your age and interested in becoming a vet. I very much understand your desire for a paid position, but at this point in your life you have the unique opportunity of having TIME to do volunteer work, without the NEED of a paycheck. That part doesn't last, and trust me that becoming a veterinarian is a whole lot easier if you get some good volunteer time behind you at a clinic near where you live. They will likely hire you on after you have proven yourself by showing up weekly for a set number of hours for a few months. I volunteered an entire summer at a hospital before they offered me a kennel job. In return I asked for a technician job and they were willing to take me on and train me, because they knew I would be a good employee at that point. That was 10yr ago, and vet school was SO much easier having worked as a technician in multiple practices.

So good luck, and go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lol123 in Houston, Texas

67 months ago

Kristin in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Hi Allie,
I am a veterinarian originally from Oregon but now in the Manhattan area. I work with small animals and also at a zoo upstate. I saw your posting and it very much reminded me of when I was your age and interested in becoming a vet. I very much understand your desire for a paid position, but at this point in your life you have the unique opportunity of having TIME to do volunteer work, without the NEED of a paycheck. That part doesn't last, and trust me that becoming a veterinarian is a whole lot easier if you get some good volunteer time behind you at a clinic near where you live. They will likely hire you on after you have proven yourself by showing up weekly for a set number of hours for a few months. I volunteered an entire summer at a hospital before they offered me a kennel job. In return I asked for a technician job and they were willing to take me on and train me, because they knew I would be a good employee at that point. That was 10yr ago, and vet school was SO much easier having worked as a technician in multiple practices.

um i jst wanted to know if u were a real vet cause i need help with mi school project.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ally in Port Orchard, Washington

45 months ago

Kristin in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Hi Allie,

Hi, I too want to be a Vet too, And so I should volunteer first, correct? And then ask if I could work there? I am too 16 years old, gonna be 16 in august.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Ally in Port Orchard, Washington

45 months ago

Hi, I too want to be a Vet too, And so I should volunteer first, correct? And then ask if I could work there? I am too 16 years old, gonna be 16 in august

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

James in Hatfield, Pennsylvania

45 months ago

Ally in Port Orchard, Washington said: Hi, I too want to be a Vet too, And so I should volunteer first, correct? And then ask if I could work there? I am too 16 years old, gonna be 16 in august

yep, get as much volunteer experience as you can. That's pretty much a requirement of veterinary school is shadowing experience, pretty much following a vet around and seeing what they do etc

forums.studentdoctor.net/ <---good forum if your interested in becoming a vet

you also have to take courses like chemistry, biology, etc and do well on them

good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

maria in Paterson, New Jersey

37 months ago

hi,i am maria and i also want to be a vet animals are my life and i love them with all my heart if i could work with them i will do everything fine

MIRA nene in Port Orange, Florida

34 months ago

i want ot be a vet but i don't know how to become one. do i have to do ?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.