Problems with my cover letter

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

blu87 in Upper Marlboro, Maryland

40 months ago

I'm applying to be a vet assistant but have no experience. I need to write a cover letter ASAP and am having serious writer's block. This has always been a problem of mine, even when I was in school. I'm looking at samples of cover letters but they aren't helping. They're all written by people who have experience. As someone with no experience, I can't figure out what to write. I can't even put my thoughts into words. Does anyone have any advice?

Maybe I shouldn't even include a cover letter. I don't think I will include a resume since I have never had a real job. The application is supposed to be faxed to the vet clinic and the instructions say nothing about a cover letter or resume. So I don't know what to do. Grrr!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

blu87 in Washington, District of Columbia

40 months ago

Thanks.

I have no vet assistant training. I have a general idea of what a vet assistant does, but I don't know the actual tasks. And of course, every clinic is different in what they want an assistant to do. So that makes writing the cover letter really hard. I'm basically trying to say how I would be good at a job when I know nothing about the job or what really goes into it.

I think I'm going to forget doing the resume unless you feel it's definitely worth doing. I've never had a job so it does seem pointless and it seems like the cover letter would be good enough.

Who am I supposed to address the cover letter to? I'm guessing the clinic owner? It's a new clinic that's opening up. None of the jobs seem to have been advertised yet. I sort of know the owner so that's how I know about the job. The application form is on the website. That's all I know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

40 months ago

I have no vet assistant training. I have a general idea of what a vet assistant does, but I don't know the actual tasks.

Why are you applying for this job? You're not qualified. You won't even be called for an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Toronto, Ontario

40 months ago

Hi Blu87
I think you will be fine with just filling the application and since you know the owner it is a bonus on your part. I hope you get the job and it seems you love animals for you to pick this job. good luck;

This is what I found on vet assistant:

Description - Veterinary Assistant:
Veterinary assistants care for animals in laboratories, animal hospitals and clinics.
Employment Facts - Veterinary Assistants:
Veterinary assistants held about 75,000 jobs in 2008.
Educational Requirements - Veterinary Assistants:
There are no formal educational requirements for veterinary assistants. They receive on-the-job training only.
Job Outlook -Veterinary Assistants:
Veterinary assistants should see much faster than average job growth through 2018.
Earnings - Veterinary Assistants:
Veterinary assistants earned median hourly wages of $10.43 and median annual wages of $21,700 in 2009.
Use the Salary Wizard at Salary.com to find out how much veterinary assistants currently earn in your city.

A Day in a Veterinary Assistant's Life:
On a typical day a Veterinary Assistant may:

•feed, water and examine animals;
•clean and disinfect cages and work areas;
•sterilize laboratory and surgical equipment;
•provide post-operative care;
•administer medication orally or topically;
•prepare samples for laboratory examination under a veterinarian's or veterinarian technician's supervision;

Sources: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition, Animal Care and Service Workers, on the Internet at www.bls.gov/oco/ocos168.htm (visited December 8, 2010

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

blu87 in Laurel, Maryland

40 months ago

Do veterinarians like or even want for assistants to speak up about ideas they have on how to make the clinic run more smoothly? Do vets want the assistants to speak up about new treatments that might benefit the patients or maybe the assistant spots a mistake the vet made. How do vets feel about getting input?

I'm asking because I thought maybe I could use that in my resume or cover letter. I'm full of ideas and knowledge. I may lack experience, but I think I make up for it in ideas and knowledge that most assistants don't posess.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

blu87 in Falls Church, Virginia

40 months ago

Ok. Thanks. That makes sense.

Should I list my pet sitting jobs on my resume? I typically only pet sit one week per year, but have done so for over 10 years. So if I did include that, would I list it as 2000-present? Do I need to list that it's only one week per year? I wouldn't want anyone to think it's full-time. Since I have no experience as a vet assistant, I thought maybe adding it would help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

vmills1030 in Belle Glade, Florida

40 months ago

The best Advice from me is to include a resume. If you have no experience search the web for resume that focus on your school experience. Employers always want to see a resume

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

blu87 in Falls Church, Virginia

40 months ago

Thanks. Hopefully these will be my last questions.

I've been checking out several functional resumes and I'm not sure if I should just have one section for qualifications/skills/experience or if I should make them into three different sections. Or maybe I should combine qualifications and experience into one section and then make skills into a separate section. Thoughts?

It's also been pointed out that I should include a computer skills section. I'm good with computers and know a lot about security and repairs. But I have limited knowledge of databases and programs like MS Office as I haven't had access to them in years. So I don't know what I would list for computer skills. I'm experienced with Windows XP and 7 so I could list that. Any suggestions as to what I could list? It's probably all about wording.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

blu87 in Washington, District of Columbia

40 months ago

Thanks, things are getting easier now.

My resume is nearly done but it's just over a page long and I think it should be only one page. I'm trying to cut stuff out or merge things together.

I've never had a real job, but I've done some babysitting and petsitting. So I've listed three "jobs". I'm thinking of completely removing one of them. Age-wise, how far back should I go with these "jobs?"

One of my jobs is from when I was a kid, but it was an important job requiring a lot of responsibilty. Typically, this type of job is done by an adult due to the amount of responsibility required. Should I cut this out of my resume or leave it in? It is sort of relevant to being a veterinary assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mady in Waconia, Minnesota

39 months ago

ok i am in 9th grade and have an assignment where i have to pretend im 23 yrs old and have to write a job report. idk even know how to start a 3 page job report. any Advice???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.