Top veterinary assistant skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every veterinary assistant must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your veterinary assistant expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

bailey in Redondo Beach, California

73 months ago

I have been researching how to go about becoming a vet assistant. I went and talked to the vet tech at my dog's doctor's office. She was saying to attend SCROC (S. CA Regional Occupational Center) and take the semester long course which is actually titled "Veterinary Assistance". They have on the job training. I've also seen many online schools. They both reward you with a certificate of completion. Is that a good way to go? What do you all think is the better option?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

ty in Tampa, Florida

70 months ago

do i need a g.e.d to become a vet assistant?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

fish in Coloma, Michigan

64 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every veterinary assistant must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your veterinary assistant expertise?

do you always have to commnunate with people

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

shaz001 in Sydney, Australia

64 months ago

seeking a job in vets any advice? thankyou shaz0011@live.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

Frixouy in Philippines

52 months ago

Hi I am 26 year old Filipino Veterinarian, single and I want to study in US to upgrade my vet skills. However I must earn my tuition. Can anyone offer me a clinic jobs there in Wiscounsin so that I can realise my dream? tnx. I have relatives in Wisconsin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Missionvet in Northridge, California

41 months ago

fish in Coloma, Michigan said: do you always have to commnunate with people

Yes, I think you always have to communicate with people on some level. Communication, personality is one of the most important traits for a vet tech. Handling the animals is only half the job, and thats the easy part. Handling the owners is the hard part.

www.missionvet.com/vaccination.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

bb in Chula Vista, California

34 months ago

bailey in Redondo Beach, California said: I have been researching how to go about becoming a vet assistant. I went and talked to the vet tech at my dog's doctor's office. She was saying to attend SCROC (S. CA Regional Occupational Center) and take the semester long course which is actually titled "Veterinary Assistance". They have on the job training. I've also seen many online schools. They both reward you with a certificate of completion. Is that a good way to go? What do you all think is the better option?

Im actually taking this course Rop class as a veterinary assistant its a very helpful class, and yes you get a diploma and another good thing about the Rop is that its totally free!

And no, you do not need a ged becasue in my class theres also high school students that the schools tell them to take to be able to graduate with a diploma, but it's also beneficial having the certificate. After a friend graduated she started working and gets paid 11-14 dlls an hour I believe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

REESE1996 in Nashville, Tennessee

33 months ago

ty in Tampa, Florida said: do i need a g.e.d to become a vet assistant?

you can have a high school diploma or a g.e.d. either one. u need to be very well treated to the animals.they are just like people with feelings.but either one is good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

gggddtdfgjhjhgjvbjyn in Keenesburg, Colorado

31 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Laurie in Rockford, Illinois

30 months ago

I have been a vet tech for 6 yrs now and Enjoy it very much.
1) Love and care for animals and your job
2) Be assertive and bold but kind with the animals. ( You can not be mild or timid when handling pets, we would all like to believe that every pet is going to be a friendly encounter but this simply is not true. While all animals deserve respect and I am not saying to take risks and get bitten, you need to be strong willed and sometimes forceful with certain pets for their own good. a timid shy quiet nature will not do well in this field of work.)
3) be confident. your clients and pets will all benefit if you are confident in what you are doing. This involves knowing your job well so you can assess situations with confidence and give advice with confidence.

however communication and people skills are equally important. in every area of this job. It will benefit the practice you work at greatly if you can show good communication and people skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Lloyd Moore in Bethesda, Maryland

28 months ago

What you want is to become a "credentialed Veterinary Technician" this involves getting an Associates Degree, in Veterinary Technology and taking the VTNE (Veterinary Technician National Examination). This allows you to perform more advanced procedures. A credetntialed Technician is legally allowed to do anything except Diagnose, perscribe, and surgery. (that question is on the VTNE). Ive been one for 13 years and I love it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

corina lederhos in Dallas, Texas

25 months ago

Hi I am currently tryig to become a veterinary assistant I have a high school diplomai signed up for animal science at Scroc because theysaid ihave to take that or pet grooming first. What six is they don't take financial aid and now I'm trying to save money but its hard.I work at a CVS and have a 5 year old son and don't make much. Does anyone know of any cheap schools and have a faster process thanx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.