Trouble finding a veterinary assistant job and work experience/internship position-can anyone help, please?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Naturelover456 in Winnetka, California

24 months ago

Hello everybody. I am having a very hard time finding a veterinary assistant job in my area. I completed the online Veterinary Assistant course program with Penn Foster Career School about one year ago, and I am having zero luck getting any kind of veterinary assistant job. It might be because I do not have any kind of hands-on experience in this job field, but Penn Foster's online program was the only one I could afford to enroll in. I have also been trying very hard to find a veterinary hospital or clinic that will let me complete a 200-hour non-paid work experience/internship program, but I am also having zero luck finding that. I have only gone to two job interviews since I received my diploma. I have been doing volunteer work for the past two years at my local animal shelter. I am willing to work in any setting where veterinary assistants can work, including veterinary hospitals, clinics, animal research laboratories, pet stores, kennels, etc. I LOVE, LOVE animals of all species, and I know this is the best job for me to have. I am doing everything I can think of to find a job, including responding to online job postings, going to veterinary hospitals and giving my resume, calling veterinary hospitals on the phone, etc. Can anyone please give any advice on what else I can do to get a veterinary assistant job or to get a non-paid work experience/internship position? Sorry if this post was too long but I can really use any advice anyone can give me. Thank you very much in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

KAT the Dog Lover in Long Beach, California

23 months ago

Naturelover456 in Winnetka, California said: trying very hard to find a veterinary hospital or clinic that will let me complete a 200-hour non-paid work experience/internship program...I am willing to work in any setting including veterinary hospitals, clinics, animal research laboratories, pet stores, kennels, etc....

Hi Naturelover 456,
Spay Neuter Project of Los Angeles (SNPLA) has a volunteer veterinary assistant training program where you can get hands-on experience learning most functions of the clinic: reception, wards/kennel care, cleaning instruments, assembling and sterilizing surgical packs, administering vaccinations and microchips, performing physical exams, post-surgery recovery nursing, administrative assistance, pre-surgery induction, peri-surgical assistance. Of their three clinic facilities, Van Nuys is the closest to the west Valley area. All they do is spay & neuter surgery and vaccination clinics, but as a nonprofit they're doing good work to reduce animal overpopulation and shelter euthanasia by sterilizing cats, dogs, and rabbits. Contact the volunteer coordinator and outline your education and career goals. info@snpla.co

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KAT the Dog Lover in Long Beach, California

23 months ago

Dang, I got cut off!

Contact the volunteer coordinator:info@snpla.com
Visit their site: www.snpla.org

The busiest days are Saturdays and Sundays, so if you can volunteer on the weekends, they'd appreciate your time while providing the hands-on training you need.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.