Vet tech& Vet assist are laws changing doctors and state putting a boundary between the 2 also exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Martha in Shreveport, Louisiana

70 months ago

Is it true that a vet assistant can't no longer take the exam no matter how long they been in the field. The person must attend college. Can they still perform the things the veterinary technician do? Lately Most veterinary practice i know are rearrange some things. It seems like the doctors are starting to put a boundary between the 2 and the different states. As time go by The assistant assist the Vet and the technician. They can't do the things a Vet tech do. Even the salarys between the 2 are changing. They are not making the same. Vet tech salary are slowly going up in louisiana the starting pay is 12.00-14.00 The kennel worker cleans cages, feed, and walk the dog. It seems like things are starting to run like a hospital. Doctors, Nurse, LPN, and Nurse assistant. Doctors are looking for (RVT, lvt, cvt.) I was going to take a vet assist class. Would this do me any good? Should i go for Vet Tech? How about your clinic and state?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Fresno, California

59 months ago

I am from California and recently finished a 14 month program to become a veterinary technician. While in school we found out that we were going to have to be in the field for almost 3 years before being able to take the state board test to become licenced. The laws in cali are changing and the salary gap is changing also. It is becoming more important to become licenced and harder to do so. You have to have some type of college or extra training to become licenced. In california there have been several programs coming out to help people who are experienced assistants to be able to take the state boards after a 4-7 month class that costs about 4000 dollars

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

59 months ago

Yes, it's true. By 2010, the National Veterinary Technician Exam will only be taken by people who have a degree in veterinary technology from an AVMA accredited program.

Laws in most states are also changing to require education and exmaination for registration/certificat/licensure as a veterinary technician. How much will change in each state as concerns exactly what a credentialed technician can do compared to an assistant will depend on that specific state's laws, but changes are underway in many areas.

If you are already working in this field and know that you want to persue and education, I would recommend going ahead with a degree in veterinary technology. The veterinary assisting programs will not count towards a degree program so aren't really worth much in the long run. However, Cedar Valley College in texas offers a veterinary assistant certification program that does give you some credits towards a veterinary technology degree should you decide to go on with your education throught them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Missionvet in Northridge, California

37 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: Yes, it's true. By 2010, the National Veterinary Technician Exam will only be taken by people who have a degree in veterinary technology from an AVMA accredited program.
\

Has that happened?? Just curious.

www.missionvet.com/vaccination.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.