What qualifications do you need to become a vet assistant?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 351)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

melissaarcolio in Salt Lake City, Utah

60 months ago

tory in Houston, Texas said: OK I know this is going to sound really dumb but.... what is the difference between a vet and a vet assistant vet tech?! I'm kinda lost here so please tell me... I've always wanted to be a vet but now I know there is all these other one(or all of them the same thing?!!!) I really don't know...

Hi there is a huge difference like 2 years associated degree in veterinarian technology diffrence, I debated for along time which to take but you have to learn the same things either way as a tech you have much more responsibility and better pay but an assistant is a great start so i chose to take the assistant course first then work in a office then if i want to move up in the office i will go to Penn foster college for a 2 year degree. FYI they are the cheapest and fully accredited by he AVMA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

DriftyAlison0 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa

60 months ago

tory in Houston, Texas said: OK I know this is going to sound really dumb but.... what is the difference between a vet and a vet assistant vet tech?! I'm kinda lost here so please tell me... I've always wanted to be a vet but now I know there is all these other one(or all of them the same thing?!!!) I really don't know...

The vet is the boss. The vet tells the assistant and techs what he or she wants done with an animal. A vet takes 7 or so years of schooling and its tough. The tech helps the vet and takes x-rays, dental work and helps the vet in surgery. The Assistant helps hold the animal, give out medication, and feeds and waters the animals.

For my school Vet Tech is 2 years and Vet Assistant is 1 year diplomia.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

60 months ago

A veterinarian is a doctor who treats animals. It requires around 8 years of college in order to sit for the exams and earn a license to practice veterinary medicine.

A veterinary technician (according to the American Veterinary Medical Association and many states) is a person who has earned an associates degree (2 year) or higher from an AVMA accredited college veterinary technology degree program and has passed the tests required by their state for credentialling (licensure, registration or certification). The exact laws on requirements to be classified as a veterinary technician vary from state to state, but generally besides having a degree a person must have taken and passed at least the Veterinary Technician National Exam if not a state exam as well.

A veterinary assistant (according the AVMA and most state statutes) is anyone who is not credentialed as a veterinary technician but who assists a veterinarian in supplying medical care for animals. No state in the US requires any specific education or training to work as a veterinary assistant. There are veterinary assisting certification courses offered through high schools, online and on-site education companies and colleges, veterinary medical associations and businesses owned by veterinary professionals. Choosing a program that is offered through or accredited by a veterinary medical association or through a college that also has an AVMA accredited veterinary technology program is always the best option as many of the other programs are designed and taught by people with little or no experience or education in veterinary medicine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Weaslequeen in Phillipsburg, New Jersey

60 months ago

Can soeone please tell me how you get your foot in the door at a veterianry clinic as an assistant?
I have owned and run a ferret rescue for a little over 11yrs as well as owning & working with many species of animals for over 40yrs. I have acquired many of the skills of an assistant & tech through my experiances of being in contact with these animals as well as owning & running my rescue, such as record keeping administering vaccinations, medications, recongnizing illnesses and what protical to take.
I need ideas of how to get these vet clinics to give me an interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

marylz in Chicago, Illinois

59 months ago

I am looking into applying to the Animal Behavior College for veterinary assistant training. It is an online program along with 4-6 months in the field working with a local vet. The admissions counselor that I spoke with made it sound like a great opportunity to get the background and hands on training needed to begin this career path. Is anyone familiar with this school?? Can I get any background info or insights please??? Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

I would say that if you are wanting to get an education that you would be better off choosing a American Veterinary Medical Association accredited veterinary technology program. Veterinary assisting is an entry-level job and no state requires education or training to fill this role. There are plenty of veterinary assisting programs out there, however most of them do not count towards a college degree and none of them will allow you to sit for the state or national exam to be credentialed as a veterinary technician. So if you are going to spend money on an education, spend one that is actually a college degree program and that will allow you to earn credentials as a veterinary technician. Otherwise you can pay for a veterinary assisting program and then have to start all over again when you realize that veterinary assisting is the the lowest paying job and that an AVMA accredited education is required to climb the professional ladder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

shawntea in New Milford, Connecticut

59 months ago

Kate in Brisbane, Australia said: I was thinking about being a vet assistant once out of school and would like to know the qualifications needed to become one. Also, is it required to go to university to become one or can a person just go through tafe to become a vet assistant. If anyone knows anything about what the job requires, could you please inform me. Thanks

hi im shawntea you have to be 18 and have a ged or a diploma and you have to enroll in a program for a year and then you'll be a assitant you have to go to myspace then type in my email good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

shawntea in New Milford, Connecticut

59 months ago

melissaarcolio in Salt Lake City, Utah said: Hi there is a huge difference like 2 years associated degree in veterinarian technology diffrence, I debated for along time which to take but you have to learn the same things either way as a tech you have much more responsibility and better pay but an assistant is a great start so i chose to take the assistant course first then work in a office then if i want to move up in the office i will go to Penn foster college for a 2 year degree. FYI they are the cheapest and fully accredited by he AVMA

shawntea: you can go to a program for a year and become a vet assitant you get trained by vetenarians

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

ashleymorganbollen101 in Rome, Georgia

58 months ago

all my life i have dreamed of becoming n A.S.P.C.A cop (AKA) an animal cop so i need to no what qaulification i need to no and follow

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

leandraa in Cape Coral, Florida

58 months ago

jackie in Portland, Oregon said: Seriously.. You don't need to go to school to be a vet assistant? Am I just wasting my time and money?

serioulsly yuu do unless yuu dnt wanna help the animalz dnt waste yurr time if yuu really dnt kare

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Sgiaki in Melbourne, Florida

58 months ago

Does someone know if I can get into Vet school after getting a vet tech degree? Will it be easier to get in, or do I have to go to Vet school and start from the beginning?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

zoe roze in Bradford, United Kingdom

57 months ago

i no this job will be good for miii but i feel like i am beeing pushed into my disition

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

bria in Hahira, Georgia

57 months ago

whats the earliest you can start training as a vet assi.??
im 15. this is something i really wanna do. i love animals. how do i find the right path to take for it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

zoe roze Why do you feel pushed into the decision? It should feel right to you and not anyone else. If you don't feel like being a Vet Assistant would be good for you, then don't go for it. But if you do, then go for it! Its your life. Choose the career that will be RIGHT for you.

Bria I believe you have to be 18 to be able to do it. But I have heard of a ten year old. Calling a Vet's office and ask wouldn't hurt. There are ways that you can become a certified Vet Assistant by taking college classes (make sure that the college is AVMA approved or you could start right away as a non certified vet assistant.

Being certified however will usually pay better then just going from high school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kaila Morgan in Denver, Colorado

57 months ago

I would like to have this as a carrer but I am wondering how do I get into it with out paying all the money? Can I start with only having a g.e.d?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

No state in the US has any educational requirements for working as a veterinary ASSISTANT. This is an entry level-position in a veterinary facility and training is generally done on the job.

There are voluntary educational opportunities, however these are not equivalent to a college degree program and are instead basic vocational training. There is no over-sight by a professional body to ensure that the majority of these programs provide adequate or correct information. Veterinary assistants are not required to have any educatiton related to the field of veterinary medicine or veterinary technology. There are voluntary educational opportunities, however these are not equivalent to a college degree programs and are instead basic vocational training. There is no over-sight by a professional body to ensure that the majority of these programs provide adequate or correct information. There is no requirement for hands-on training and instructors often have little or no experience or education in the veterinary field. There are a handful of certification programs that are designed and approved by veterinary professional organizations or that are offered by colleges which also offer accredited veteirnary technology programs and these are better choices for someone who wants to be a veterinary assistant. This is an entry level position for working in the veterinary field and is not a recognized profession in any state.

You can definitely start in this type of position with just a GED or a high school education. However, to move up in the practice you are likely going to want to get an education which can start as earning certification as a veterinary assistant or going straight into getting your college degree for credentialing as a veterinary technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Carley in Howell, Michigan

57 months ago

Hello, ive been looking at a few school to become a vet tech one of them being Penn Foster. I was wondering if its a hard school to get into. I don't have the best grades at all. But im really trying this year (senior year) if any one could gice me adivce on a good school that would help a lot! thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

digimon14 in Hertford, North Carolina

57 months ago

my name is melayja i am 15 wonnt to become a vet assistanat but pepole allway telling me that i soulde become a docter

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

pepole allway ttell me to become somthing diff but i wonnt to become a vet assistant

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

how long is to become a vet assistant

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

melayja If you want to be a Vet Assistant then I say, go for it. Its your career, so it should be your choice not anyone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

digimon14 in Hertford, North Carolina said: how long is to become a vet assistant

You can ether start right after high school. But if you want to get certified, then its about 1 year.(At least for Iowa)

Paige in Hamburg, New York

57 months ago

hahahah im so funny!:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

hobi in Windsor Locks, Connecticut

56 months ago

In the clinic where I work in CT, there are NO techs - we are all assistants. In our state, assistants can do all a tech can do - without the license. We all have had some schooling or experience, but the law says we can do what the doc allows.

Elizabeth in Stuart, Florida said: I have worked as a Veterinary Assistant in two vet clinics. You can probably start working as one as early as 16, which is when I started. Most palces are usually willing to teach you the things you need to know, especially if they know you are interested in becoming a veterinarian. You do not go to school to become a vet assistant. You can however, go to school to become a veterinary technician, it is two years of college after high school. Vet Techs are like the "nurses" to the veterinarian, whereas the Vet assistants do the dirty work like cleaning, and helping out some (but you gotta start somewhere!) You can also become a Vet Tech after working in a vet clinic for at least 2-3 years as an assistant and gaining experience. Vet assistants usually make just above minimum wage and vet techs make over $20/hr usually.

Although its tough to start out doing the cleaning work and not getting paid a lot, if you really love animals and wanna become a Vet, it will be sooooo worth it and will look gret on applications/resumes!

I got my jobs by calling up about 20 vets offices in my area and asking if they had openings. And if none of them do, you can ask to volunteer, do that for a few weeks, and then see if they will hire you.

GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bella in Solihull, United Kingdom

56 months ago

Well, i also want to be a vet when im older. But to be in a chance of being one, you need to be good at Lab work, biology, chemistry, physics, agebra, animal bones, animal organs, language, writing and reading. Long list :\

Lauri in Omaha, Nebraska

56 months ago

Shannon in Lincoln, Nebraska said: Hey Karie!! I've started taking the Vet Assistant program from Penn Foster as well!! I like it a lot. As far as their accreditation I don't know 100 % They sound like they're a good place to learn from and from what I've learned so far I'd say even if their not accredited that the information you'll learn will help you regardless. Hope you're enjoying the program as much as I am!

why are you spending the money for a vet assistant degree when you do not need it to prcatice. You only need a degree to be a technician in the state of nebraska nad most of the us.

56 months ago

Because we will get more money being certified then by not getting certified.

56 months ago

A credentialed veterinary TECHNICIAN will make more, but being certified as a veterniary assistant is not legally recognized nor does it grant the right to do anything that a non-certified assistant can do. Certification as a veterinary assistant is simply not a highly respected credential because the training is extremely basic and because there are no legal recognitions of that credential. There are no professional organizations that oversee certification of assistants and no legal requirements for it. Certification of assistants can be done by ANYONE. I could print up certificates and hand them out to anyone who paid me for them regardless of education/training/experience, etc. It is not the same as being a certified, registered or licensed veterinary technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

True. But if you do it right by going to a creditated school and do it right, then you will be 1 level up. You would go into the career knowing more then if you just started.

Plus if you would have to be certified to be a nurse's assistant then you should have to be a CVA after all they are the same just that its with animals and not humans.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

You are not paying attention. There are NO ACCREDITED veterinary ASSISTANT programs. Veterinary assistant is the title for anyone working in a veterinary facility that hasn't met the criteria to be a veterinary technician. Certification as a veterinary assistant has very little value because of the difference in the private organizations that accredit assistants. You can come out of high school as a "certified veterinary assistant" without ever having put your hands on a cat or dog to restrain them. You can do an online program and answer questions and have a veterinary assistant certificate sent to you in the mail though you could have used whatever written materials you read to take all the tests.

The only accredited programs are VETERINARY TECHNOLOGY programs that are accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association. You do not come out of these programs certified as a veterinary assistant but prepared to take the Veterinary Technician National Exam so that you can be credentialed as a veterinary technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Excuse me? I am going to AN ACCREDITED school. So do your research before telling ppl that there isn't one when there is at my school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Accredited by what organization? What school are you attending?

The AVMA doesn't accredite veterinary assisting programs. And the only veterinary profesional assocation approved or designed veterinary assisting program in the US currenly is the Texas Veterinary Medical Associations Certified Veterinary Assistant program (I'm on the subcommittee that is reassessing that program).

56 months ago

I am attending Kirkwood Community College. Ether way I will still be one step ahead. I will come into the field with more knowledge then what ppl would without being truly certified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

We are talking about two different things. Kirkwood Community College has an AVMA accredited veterinary TECHNOLOGY program. Veterinary assisting programs are not the same thing as veterinary TECHNOLOGY programs.

So are you attending the veterinary assistant program or the veterinary technician program? They are NOT the same thing. And the veterinary assisting program is NOT AVMA accredited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hoopla 54492 in Springdale, Arkansas

55 months ago

you guys helped me aand awnsered my questions i had for something at school. Thanks.

punk princess in lynwood, California

55 months ago

Is it hard to learn what they are traning do you think in california they are doing this

heather in Reading, Pennsylvania said: i'm a veterinary assistant at an animal hospital and i didnt even start college yet. they are training me there. so no you do not need to go to school to become one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Yes, veterinary assistants are trained on the job in California. The quality of the training and how hard it is to learn will depend on who is teaching you. They may not have correct information themselves, they may have limited training/education themselves, they may not be good at training or they may simply teach you "the way it's done here" regardless of knowing that what they are teaching you isn't the recommended way to do something. This is why on-the-job trained veterinary assistants or certified veterinary assistants (because there is no oversite of CVA programs and they may be offered by ANYONE regardless of education/experience) may or may not trained to do things in a correct manner or know why they do things in a certain manner.

Get a job at a veterinary facility and get some on-the-job training and see how well you like the work. If it suits you, consider getting certified as a veterinary assistant through a program that is offered through a college that also offers and accredited veterinary technology program or that is at least taught/offered by credentialed veterinary professionals. Then if you want to learn even more you can aften get some college credits for these types of programs to count towards a degree in veterinary technology.

jaime3404 in Greenville, South Carolina

55 months ago

melissaarcolio in Salt Lake City, Utah said: I love this course i am a penn foster student taking three courses i was ripped off by several other unaccredited schools after paying thousands and years of school. Penn Foster is the best!!!!!!!!!!! They are fully accredited and I have NEVER had any issues with there school. I also find the study materials much more educating and helpful than THOSE WANNA BE SCHOOLS. i HAVE BEEN pENN fOSTER PROUND FOR TWO YEARS getting MY HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA i AM A MONTH AWAY FROM GRADUATING i ALSO TAKE THE VET ASSISTANT COURSE and the cat care program.

Hi, I see where it says you are at Penn Foster Online School. I am thinking about signing up there and taking ther vet's assistant course. How long has it taken you to get in the grove of things and is it a really good course to take.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

abouttograduate in Denver, Colorado

54 months ago

A vet tech can do dentals, blood draws, urinalysis, parasitology, microbilogy, hematology-in house. We assist the doctor during surgery. You must know medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, chemistry organic/inorganic. Large animal, small animal, lab animal, avian reptile, you will dissect, well, cats in my instance. You will also do a internship. You must also do lab with all of the biology courses. You will need to know pharmacology which is MATH, LOTS OF MATH! You basically do everything a doctor does except diagnose and surgery, with the exception of dentals. It is a 2 year associates degree. A vet assistant is just a certificate, not a degree. Upon graduating you would have a associates of applied science. I attended Bel-Rea Institute of Animal Technology, back when our students were on the show Animal Planet, and that is where we did ours internship.

Caitlin in Adelaide, Australia

54 months ago

I'm currently 12 and i really want to be a vet when i'm older. Is there any high school in Adelaide that i can go to do study how to become one?

melissa H. in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

54 months ago

I have been thinking about a different career path for a while now,and i want a job that i love to go to everyday and can do even when i get older ,Because let's face it I'am not getting any younger, I'am big animal lover alway's have been .I just don't know where to begin can anyone give me some advice,I feel like this is my last chance on a carrer.

Tasha in Adelaide, Australia

54 months ago

Hi i'm a year 7 and i'm a really, really big animal lover and i want to become a vet when im older. Is there anything i can do now to improve my chances of being able to become one???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mary in North Wilkesboro, North Carolina

53 months ago

Kate in Brisbane, Australia said: I was thinking about being a vet assistant once out of school and would like to know the qualifications needed to become one. Also, is it required to go to university to become one or can a person just go through tafe to become a vet assistant. If anyone knows anything about what the job requires, could you please inform me. Thanks

well you are right about everything i went to nc state college and if you go there you will get some good education in a vet you'll love and i love working with the animals so will you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mary in North Wilkesboro, North Carolina

53 months ago

Tasha in Adelaide, Australia said: Hi i'm a year 7 and i'm a really, really big animal lover and i want to become a vet when im older. Is there anything i can do now to improve my chances of being able to become one???

you have to go to nc state colloge and make good grades love you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dustin in Keller, Texas

53 months ago

heather in Reading, Pennsylvania said: i'm a veterinary assistant at an animal hospital and i didnt even start college yet. they are training me there. so no you do not need to go to school to become one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Tasha, I would recommend that you volunteer at a veterinary facility or ask to shadow a veterinarian. This kind of experience will really help you when you go to enroll in vet school.

kaylalou 96@yahoo.com in Fountain Inn, South Carolina

53 months ago

hi i am only 13 want to know how old ya hav ta be to be a volunteer at a vet's office i love animales and thay love me i teach kids how to care for animales hope to be a vet someday =D

Me in Greeley, Colorado

53 months ago

shawntea in New Milford, Connecticut said: shawntea: you can go to a program for a year and become a vet assitant you get trained by vetenarians

I have been a veterinary assistant. You do not need formal training for a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

heather in Stuart, Florida

51 months ago

personally,i would spend the money to become a certified vet tech. and florida is the only state where you dont have to be a cvt to have a vet tech job. ive worked at a vet tech and a vet tech assistant,and im not certified.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

alize

51 months ago

Can you go to a vet tech school and get your degree, graduate. Never to have worked as a vet assistant before. And still get hired as a vet tech, because you have the degree? what would the best way to start if my goal is to become a vet tech? Basically I want to eventually become a vet tech. So whats the best way to start?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.