Being licensed in one state, then moving to another state..

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Laura, RVT in Fort Wayne, Indiana

61 months ago

So I am currently an RVT in Indiana. Let's say I were to move to Michigan. I know I would have to take their law exam to become an RVT or LVT, whatever it is, but does that mean I would go back to being paid as if I weren't licensed at all? Or would I still be able to get paid as if I were licensed in their state? Cause that would suck to have the pay decrease. Where I currently work, if I weren't licensed, I'd be making $2 less an hr. I don't have any issue with taking the law exam again, but Michigan doesn't even offer the VTNE in January. I'd have to wait til June to take it if I were going to. I know one of my instructors at school was an LVT in NY, then she wasn't an RVT til she took our law exam in Indiana. I was just curious if anyone has ever gone through the process of being licensed in one state and then trying to get a job in another state, or how the process works. I tried to e-mail someone, but they told me exactly what I already knew. That I had to take the law exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

61 months ago

If you aren't licensed, you get paid like a non-licensed employee for the most part because not having a license also impacts just how much and what you can do in a state where licensure is required to be a veterinary technician.

Whoever you talked to told you exactly what you already knew because that is the simple fact of the matter. States that require licensure have very strict requirements to get a license and on what licensed vs. non-licensed personnel can do. That is the reason for having a license--to ensure that people who are performing certain tasks have proven their knowledge.

If you can't wait, consider taking the VTNE in an adjacent state that does offer it in January.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

But how would taking the VTNE in another state help me getting licensed in Michigan? I don't need to take the VTNE part over again. I would just have to take the law exam and I know you can't take the Michigan law exam in say Ohio, can you? It just seems like I would only be able to take the law exam in the state I am taking the test in, right? or could you just say you need to sit for the law exam for Michigan if you take it in Ohio? I know a girl in my class accidentally registered to take the VTNE in Ohio, so I don't know if she was able to end up taking the Indiana law exam even though she sat in Ohio for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Sorry, I was thinking that you hadn't already taken the VTNE.

You can take the VTNE in any state, it transfers. But you do have to take the state board exam (which may just be jurisprudence --laws--or may be medical or both) in the state you are trying to earn your credentials in because credentialing doesn't transfer from state to state. You should be able to register to sit for the state exam seperate from the VTNE, but they generally aren't given on any days other than the same day that the state offers the VTNE so you will simply have to wait.

61 months ago

Okay, that's what I was thinking. It sounds like I would just need to wait til June so I could sit for the Michigan law part.

srglvt in Cape Coral, Florida

46 months ago

I am licensed in Virginia. However, after moving to Florida, I discovered the state does not recognize licensing. I want to become certified in Florida. Is there a way to transfer? Do I have to take the National Exam again?

srglvt in Cape Coral, Florida

46 months ago

I am licensed in Virginia. However, after moving to Florida, I discovered the state does not recognize licensing. I want to become certified in Florida. Is there a way to transfer? Do I have to take the National Exam again?

46 months ago

No, you shouldn't have to take the national exam again. You will need to contact AAVSB and have your score transferred to the Florida Veterinary Medical Association and then apply to take the Florida Practical Exam. You can find the information on all of this on the FVMA website: www.fvma.org/FVMA/Certified_Veterinary_Technician/Requirements_for_FVMA_Certification/FVMA/Certified_Vet_Tech/Requirements_for_FVMA_Certification.aspx?hkey=ede503b2-5a25-4312-900a-0be4ce745379

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lisac in Kansas City, Missouri

34 months ago

lisac in Kansas City, Missouri

34 months ago

readyTech! in Scranton, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

ecvtech06 in Canton, Ohio

14 months ago

I am an RVT in Ohio and am probably going to be moving to Virginia with my family. What do I need to do to keep my license and title to I can get another RVT job?

14 months ago

Check the Virginia Board of Veterinary Medicine's website for instructions and applicable forms. www.dhp.virginia.gov/vet/vet_forms.htm

You must submit and application for licensure, have your VTNE score sent to the licensing board, send a verification of current credentials to the credentialing board in your current state and have a copy of your transcript from an AVMA accredited veterinary technology program sent to the licensing board in Virginia.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.