Best/Worst Distance Learning Vet Tech Schools?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (451 to 500 of 582)
Page:  « First « Previous   7  8  9  10  11  12  Next »   Last »

KAT the Dog Lover in Long Beach, California

47 months ago

San Juan's online program also works best with the Windows OS; most functions are compatible with Macs but the CDs packaged with some textbooks will work only with Windows.

If you get a student loan, you can use some of the money to buy an inexpensive bundled PC (Costo has good prices and a good return policy), and you can use the Office Starter software or buy Microsoft products.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Remona in Shorter, Alabama

47 months ago

Dr. Margi Sirois in Port Richey, Florida said: Wow..the volume of totally false information on here is mind boggling.

Penn Foster College graduates pass rate on the national exam is 100% - those who are posting that it is 'the lowest' or 'not good' are posting outright lies. There are established accredited traditional programs that dont even come close to that pass rate. The program is not probationally accredited nor did it 'slip' to provisional. Provisional accreditation is what ALL new programs receive that meet the requirements of the AVMA. Penn Foster is not a mail order instruction booklet; Penn Foster has no hidden fees - everything is disclosed to students in advance. It is also the only school that allows students to make monthly payments and to continue into other semesters while still paying for prior ones. There is no college that will give you a degree when you owe them money so no vet tech program will grant you a degree until your entire tuition is paid in full.
Provisional accreditation is not punitive and FULLY accredited does not imply that a program is 'higher level' than a provisional program.
Distance learning is not for everyone and certainly not for those who need everything spoon-fed to them. Distance learners are required to be independent and self-motivated. Everything is spelled out in writing for Penn Foster students.. all they have to do is read and for those that still dont get it, call and speak with an advisor.

Dr. Margi Sirois
former St Pete College Vet Tech Distance Ed Program Director
current Penn Foster College Vet Tech Distance Ed Program Director

(and no, I do not speak personally to any but senior students - there are over 6000 students in our program so other staff members handle freshmen)

Why are you no longer with St. Pete? Is it not a good college for Veterinary Technology distance learning

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Remona in Shorter, Alabama

47 months ago

I'm not in Shorter, Alabama. I'm in Florida. Is there anyone here attending ST. Pete's distance learning Vet Tech program? If so, how do you like it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Milissa in Ramstein-miesenbach, Germany

47 months ago

FutureTech in Long Beach, California said: Sapphire, there are several online vet tech programs, some of which are even approved by the AVMA. If you read this entire forum, you will get many opinions about different programs. Check out the AVMA site and the sites of the school programs to decide for yourself. The best part of online is that you can, mostly, fulfill the requirements when it is convenient to your schedule.

I attend San Juan and love it. But that's my experience. :-)

Please tell me how you like San Juan. I am getting ready to apply

Milissa in Ramstein-miesenbach, Germany

47 months ago

Please let me know how San Juan goes. I am ready to apply

47 months ago

Milissa in Germany said: Please tell me how you like San Juan. I am ready to apply.

Milissa, my experience with SJC's vet tech online program has been very positive. Due to personal circumstances I had to take a hiatus, but I can re-enter the program when I am ready to resume my studies.

The director oversees the program and accreditation requirements, and monitors student discussion boards, but does not get overly involved in the day-to-day operations (that's what the program coordinator does). The program coordinator is a very lovely personality and is very helpful in getting students set up and offering solutions/options. The instructors are very approachable, and many of them seem to like what they do; they have been responsive.

The coursework may seem overwhelming at first, especially if one does not already have a lot of medical or biology/science knowledge, but most of the curriculum material overlaps within the courses, so there are plenty of "refresher" opportunities along the way.

I have not experienced "hidden" fees, but there are some fees that I don't agree with. The tuition increases each year, but with the regular upgrades by the IT department, I feel like my money is well spent on their online capabilities (very important in an online program).

The one thing I would highly recommend is that you already have a part-time job or volunteer opportunity at a veterinary facility, because you will not be able to move into the Tier 2 level coursework without procuring an off-site clinical facility and preceptor. I'm sure many students have delayed or halted their education after completing Tier 1 coursework because they did not have a clinical site before starting the program, and SJC does not offer placement. However, SJC does offer a local facility for the large animal coursework.

I like SJC's program. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

kathyrvt

47 months ago

I have had two students another on line college, and am currently working with a student from SJC. I have found that SJC gives wonderful, constructive help, and is willing to talk to me about issues in our student's education. I did not find that with the other on line school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Loganville, Georgia

47 months ago

So I will be starting SJC in 10 days for vet tech and I'm super excited!! I did a lot of research and this was the best choice :) I would love to be in contact with someone else who plans on studying vet tech and starting this fall!! I'm a military spouse and that's why I have to do online school, plus I work full time. So just let me know if you would like an email buddy for fall semester!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Morgan in Apo

47 months ago

Katie in Loganville, Georgia said: So I will be starting SJC in 10 days for vet tech and I'm super excited!! I did a lot of research and this was the best choice :) I would love to be in contact with someone else who plans on studying vet tech and starting this fall!! I'm a military spouse and that's why I have to do online school, plus I work full time. So just let me know if you would like an email buddy for fall semester!!

Hi! I'm a military spouse currently stationed in Japan and Im getting close to finishing tier 1. We can be email buddies if you like :) I can also help if you have any questions with the course work

47 months ago

Morgan in Apo said: Hi! I'm a military spouse currently stationed in Japan and Im getting close to finishing tier 1. We can be email buddies if you like :) I can also help if you have any questions with the course work

Here's my email. That's great!!! ktgasper@yahoo.com

47 months ago

Morgan in Apo said: Hi! I'm a military spouse currently stationed in Japan and Im getting close to finishing tier 1. We can be email buddies if you like :) I can also help if you have any questions with the course work

Here's my email. That's great!!! ktgasper@yahoo.com

cindyrvt in Henderson, Texas

47 months ago

Katie and Morgan, don't forget to take advantage of VSPN.org. They have a forum and chat sessions specifically for veterinary technology students and for the different veterinary technology programs out there.

47 months ago

Valerie F in Madera, California said: Obviously I do considering I responded to someone requesting info for a vet assistant school program not vet tech. Just because you don't get an actual degree you don't have to knock it. And if you walk off the streets and apply for a job as a vet assistant with out experience most likely you wont get hired unless they are desperate need for employees. So that said after I finish my vet assistant program I am more likely to obtain a position as such. Those hours I work as a vet assistant (while I attend school for vet tech) I can apply towards taking my state exam to be a vet tech. In California you have to work at least 4,416 hours in order to take take your exam. So two birds one stone. And my vet assistant program is a short program between 9-12 months depending on the student.

Valerie, can you tell me where you found that info about minimum hours (4,416) needed before taking the exam? The AAVSB site does not mention this. Is it somewhere on the CVMB site? This would be good for all tech students to know. Thanks!

47 months ago

The hours listed come from California's laws governing registering veterinary technicians. A person must meet the education requirements PLUS have that number of hours of practical experience to be considered for registration. It's found in the following:

Cal. Admin. Code tit. 16, § 2068.5

Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 16. Professional and Vocational Regulations
Division 20. Veterinary Medical Board
Article 6. Registered Veterinary Technicians (Refs & Annos)
§ 2068.5. Practical Experience and Education As Equivalent Curriculum.

California doesn't currently use the VTNE, though I believe that is going to change. California has it's own test that is in use at this point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

sugarstars in Rochester, New York

47 months ago

Hello!

I'm looking into applying to a distance learning program to get a Vet Tech degree. I have a few questions, though. I've seen tons of praise for SJC. I'm currently employed part-time at a veterinary clinic, so I don't have to worry much about finding a preceptor. How quickly can you get through the program at SJC?

I'm concerned about tuition, as well. I already have a B.S. in Environmental Science, so I have most likely fulfilled any and all pre-req biology, math, chemistry, and English courses I'd have to take. All I'm really missing is the vet courses and hands-on training. But, since I already have a four-year degree am I no longer eligible to receive financial aid? Until I graduated I always received full financial aid due to my family's and my own low incomes. I'm not too keen on taking out loans and worrying about having to pay them back if I can avoid that.

On another note, I haven't seen anything mentioned about this... Are there any opportunities for vet techs to get a job working at a zoo and alongside a wildlife vet? I'd have to assume that a wildlife vet would need the assistance of a vet tech, just like a regular vet would. I'm just curious about this as a possible option for employment. I love animals, big and small, so I'll be happy no matter what type of animals I work with. :)

ellyinsdviany in La Mesa, California

46 months ago

Hello everyone! I've been reading posts all morning for research on my law and ethics paperwork. I am currently a student in San Diego and currently the curriculum has changed to 2 months online and 10 months on campus. As a current V.T. student i can say the curriculum is harder to grasp online than in class. I graduated from the V.A. program back in May so I have basic knowledge, and I must say with distance learning it is hard to stay focused. I have a lot of focus and determination being prior military and this is truly hard. Also being a CA student we are always preparing to take the VTNE which our school schedules us to take after graduation but as we all know it does not license or give any credentials. I believe there is a CA state exam that techs take to become "registered" but as I am moving states after I graduate I haven't paid that much attention to CA state law. I am confused on the differences between being registered certified and licensed. I believed that being registered was licensed, if I am mistaken please correct me and point me in the right direction. My classmates could definitely use this type of knowledge and when we are in class this generally is not our main focus.

46 months ago

Elly,
RVT,CVT and LVT are all credentials which means that they represent that someone has met a set level of education and testing requirements. And while, in general, there are difference in the type of credential that they represent that isn't always the case.

Licensure represents permission granted by a legal governing body to perform set tasks that aren't allowed to just anyone. And in these states it is typically illegal to use any term that could mislead people into thinking you are a licensed individual. For example, you have to be a licensed driver to drive and those without a license cannot legally do so. And in states where veterinary technicians are licensed (it is a legal requirement), the use of the title "vet tech" or "veterinary technician" by anyone who isn't licensed is illegal.

Registration typically means keeping of lists recording that someone has met the requirements of a group, such as a professional association but doesn't necessarily carry any/much legal weight or isn't legally required though it may be legally recognized. However, several states actually "register" veterinary technicians but it carries the same legal requirement and rights as a license.

Certification is typically done by a private group, school, person etc but isn't required and doesn't isn't legally recognized and doesn't carry any legal weight. It's typically completely voluntary and doesn't change anything at all that a person can or should legally do.

California is one of those states that has Registered Veterinary Technicians that are actually licensed individuals. You cannot be a vet tech in CA unless you have met the requirements to be an RVT and cannot perform certain tasks unless you are an RVT.

Minh in Oakland, California

46 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: Minh,
Clinics typically do have their own "pharmacy" but depending on the laws of the state and the experience/ education of the employees prescriptions may be filled by just about anyone.
If you are wanting to make the most use of your pharmacy technician experience/education, you would do well to look for a large specialty practice. These types are more likely to have a large pharmacy run by a specific individual.

Thank you very much, Cindy
Actually, I thought about becoming a vet tech. However, there is no community college around my area that offers the program. Carrington is too expensive. I don't want to waste $37000 when I'm not sure I will succeed.

I want to be a vet assistant first to gain experience and see if it's worth becoming an RVT.

That's why I take courses in human medicine that can easily applied in veterinary medicine. Pharmacy Technician is a good fit. I also plan to take a Sterile Processing course because sterilizing equipments is a part of a vet assistant's job descriptions, isn't it?

Most of all, I'm thinking about taking Vet Assisting program of Boston Reed College. Although it doesn't offer externship, it's at least a classroom program where I can ask my instructor. I don't think I will do well with Penn Foster online program.

Currently, I'm a volunteer at Valley Humane Society where I socialize with dogs and cats. If I put that experience on my resume plus pharmacy technician license and Vet assistant completion, do you think I have a good chance to be hired? Thank you.

In the Same Situation as You in Enterprise, Alabama

46 months ago

Hi Guys!

I've been reading this forum for the past two weeks, as I am in the same position as most of you: 26yr old with a Bachelor of Science in Zoology looking for a distance learning program. I had questions about quality of programs, grants, loans, moving in the middle of the program etc. I decided with San Juan, because you are "allowed" to move in between semesters even after you've started your preceptor-ship (unlike St. Pete and Jefferson State which require some in-person visits).

BUT HERE IS A WEBSITE I WISH I WOULD OF SEEN EARLIER:
nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=SAN+JUAN+COLLEGE&s=all&id=188100#retgrad

*This is College Navigator, and while it doesn't comment on the quality of the programs, it has hard statistics. Like,
SAN JUAN:
* Only 15% graduate within 3 years. (18ppl graduated 2011)
* The first year retention rate is 45% for part time students.
* It tells you the net tuition based on your income, etc.
(Of course, this is for the ENTIRE college, not just the vet tech program. Try comparing Penn Foster and Purdue with this tool maybe)

All that being said, I am still going with San Juan, and am excited to be starting classes January 2013. After lots of research I am so excited about this career. My 4 year degree (and jobs) in zoology are rather "dead end" (but exciting!), but becoming certified as a vet tech is what you make of it, and how ambitious you want to be. You can become specialized in different areas (exotics, zoological...), get continuing education, and become part of different associations that will help set you apart from the competition.

46 months ago

Does any one know of ANY people with bad reviews of San Juan?? I can't find ONE online, and it seems a little sketchy...

46 months ago

I wouldn't be too freaked about the information from that website. I was actually talking to a couple of the instructors from San Juan's vet tech program this week about that site. The information isn't terribly informative for prospective veterinary technology students as it is a general overview of the whole college and not the veterinary technology degree program. For details specifically on retention rates, graduation rates, VTNE pass rates etc for the veterinary technology degree program contact Dr. Wright or Sherri there at the college. They will have this information for their program as the AVMA requires this sort of statistic be kept for their accreditation.

I haven't personally heard anything bad about San Juan's program. I do know that they have a near 100% pass rate on the VTNE and that they have some wonderful instructors (but then I may be biased as I am friends with a couple of them).

46 months ago

Does any one know of ANY people with bad reviews of San Juan?? I can't find ONE online, and it seems a little sketchy...

46 months ago

Thanks for the VTNE pass rate Cindy! Like I said, I'm still really excited about my decision to go there.

I apologize about the duplicate post.

Meig in Fox Lake, Illinois

46 months ago

I just graduated from SJC in May. Online schooling is difficult and there is a high attrition rate from ALL online programs. It requires a lot self-discipline to get through the program, as you have to really push yourself to get stuff done. Many people can't handle it and prefer to go to an actual physical school.

My experience was awesome. The teachers are great, they go above and beyond to help you make it. I don't know why not finding any bad reviews seems "sketchy" to anyone, it just goes to show what a great staff and program SJC offers. SJC is all about the students and giving them the best education they can get.

I passed the VTNE on my first try, and my score was high as well. Every single person I am in contact with that graduated with me this May also passed on their first try and we all had great scores.

You won't be disappointed by choosing SJC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

TSmith1967 in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

I am looking for an online school that will accept monthly payments. I see SJC only does 5 payments with a down payment. I prefer not to attend Penn Foster. Any ideas?

I won't qualify for financial aid but need payments.

TSmith1967 in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

Meig in Fox Lake, Illinois said: My post above, and the one I was replying to is something that people should know before committing their money and time to a program, online or otherwise. If you can't handle vindictive, petty, and immature behavior from your coworkers, you should find a different profession and not waste your money on any type of vet tech program because you will never be completely happy in this profession. Most vets and vet techs do not gravitate towards animals because they are "people persons", and some are worse than others.

San Juan College is where I am currently attending. I have been very happy with the school, the staff is exceptional and the program is top notch. But you get out of any program what you put into it. If you don't put any effort in, it doesn't matter if you attend Purdue or Penn Foster. You will come out not knowing anything and you will not be a good technician.

I can recommend Purdue, San Juan College, and St. Pete's online programs because I personally know graduates from those schools, they are excellent technicians, and they really liked their programs.

Find what works for you. Online learning is much, much harder than going to a school and doing everything there. You really have to push yourself to finish, it's much easier to just quit when the going gets tough because you don't have the proximity of other students who are going through the same thing. You can talk to people online, but it's totally different, and somehow more comforting, to sit in labs with them and know you are not the only one who can't identify that stupid parasite egg.

I am looking to attend SJC but would need payment plan. Did you do payments? If so, how dowa it work per semester?

Catie in Grand Rapids, Michigan

45 months ago

I am considering signing up for classes at San Juan. But I am afraid I wont find an OCCI site and approved preceptor. Does the school help you find a place to do your OCCI requirements, or is that totally up to you? And if so does anyone have any advice on finding somewhere and someone to be your preceptor?

shannon9 in st. augustine, Florida

43 months ago

I am enrolled at St. Petersburg College in St. Petersburg, FL. AVMA accredited and a GREAT school! i highly recommend it!!!

tcook6 in Fairmont, West Virginia

42 months ago

I have been researching them and you don't come up with all the money at once. They have a monthly payment plan set up where you pay $40 a month while you are attending.

42 months ago

Except every school requires you to have hours working in a clinic. Penn Foster for example requires you to complete two, 250 hours of clinic time, I after the completion of the first semester and one after the completion of your fourth, where you are working along side vet tech's and vets. That is how you get your experience and apply what you have been learning.

jackie in Springfield, Missouri

40 months ago

I am on the AVMA site, and see accredited distance learning schools other then penn and San juan. Does anyone have opinions on these other schools?

Natalia in Flushing, New York

39 months ago

In the Same Situation as You in Enterprise, Alabama said: Hi Guys!

I've been reading this forum for the past two weeks, as I am in the same position as most of you: 26yr old with a Bachelor of Science in Zoology looking for a distance learning program. I had questions about quality of programs, grants, loans, moving in the middle of the program etc. I decided with San Juan, because you are "allowed" to move in between semesters even after you've started your preceptor-ship (unlike St. Pete and Jefferson State which require some in-person visits).

BUT HERE IS A WEBSITE I WISH I WOULD OF SEEN EARLIER:
nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=SAN+JUAN+COLLEGE&s=all&id=188100#retgrad

*This is College Navigator, and while it doesn't comment on the quality of the programs, it has hard statistics. Like,
SAN JUAN:
* Only 15% graduate within 3 years. (18ppl graduated 2011)
* The first year retention rate is 45% for part time students.
* It tells you the net tuition based on your income, etc.
(Of course, this is for the ENTIRE college, not just the vet tech program. Try comparing Penn Foster and Purdue with this tool maybe)

All that being said, I am still going with San Juan, and am excited to be starting classes January 2013. After lots of research I am so excited about this career. My 4 year degree (and jobs) in zoology are rather "dead end" (but exciting!), but becoming certified as a vet tech is what you make of it, and how ambitious you want to be. You can become specialized in different areas (exotics, zoological...), get continuing education , and become part of different associations that will help set you apart from the competition.

so how is sjc so far? did u start?do you like it? im considering this college too but some recent feed back would be appreciated not only from u but from anyone currently taking classes now at SJC for vet tech.

DesiTheFutureVet in Victorville, California

39 months ago

Hello Everyone,

Well looks like I have come to the right place. I need help getting the switch to Vet Tech program. I was going to go to Platt College. I saw that AVMA had them listed, but they aren't fully accredited. I was signing paper work today and I came across that paperwork that said I wouldn't be able to that the Exam until the school got accredited, or something about working two years under a Vet and then applying for the exam, or unless the school got the accredited before then. I am worried and It's costing me almost $30,000 to go to this school and it's not fully accredited. Any thoughts about this? Then I was considering taking this program online because it would be better for my job. I was thinking about cutting work, but my car eats a lot of gas and all the schools for this over 50 miles or more. I live in Victorville CA..so to get anywhere you have to travel down a hill and when weather is bad..isn't safe to drive and the hours at this school was from 2-7 M-Thur..meaning I can't only work on the weekends. My job was cool with it but I don't think it is wise since I have a apartment and a car payment. So I have a B.A in liberal Arts and I was into my Master program with my teaching career until the school screwed me and now I have to wait and now considering it cause so much to go to..I was thinking about switching to the next best thing in my life, which is animals. I was going to get this degree someday..I guess now is the time. I saw many great comments about San Juan College. Anyone going there now..tell me what your experience is like and work load. I just want to make the right choice cause I never did classes like this before and I know many people are getting degrees online because of their life's. I wanted to go to Prudue to get another BS but I don't think I should spend all that money and I want to start working asap. Any advice would be great and I can start applying right away. I know for sure I'm pulling out of Platt College. :(

amy lee in Pasadena, Texas

38 months ago

hi guys, im concerned, im here in houston, tx and wanted to know if that school you all are talking about san juan college, do they teach you about all the medication for animals? i know vet tech institute here in houston they have classes for that, and does that college san juan college makes you work with farm animals as well or it doesnt?

38 months ago

Hey Amy Lee,
San Juan College does indeed have a pharmacology course. All AVMA accredited veterinary technology programs do. You also are required to get large animal experience for SJC (again, it is an AVMA requirement). If you don't have a large animal clinic near you to get experience at, SJC has a setup where you can go for your clinical experience with some of the program instructors here in Texas.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me directly. I am an adjunct instructor for SJC and I am also the Vice President of the Texas Association of Registered Veterinary Technicians. You can email me via cindyd@tarvt.org

Cindy Dittmar, RVT

38 months ago

DesiTheFutureVet in Victorville, California said: I was going to go to Platt College . I saw that AVMA had them listed, but they aren't fully accredited. I was signing paper work today and I came across that paperwork that said I wouldn't be able to that the Exam until the school got accredited, or something about working two years under a Vet and then applying for the exam, or unless the school got the accredited before then...

I saw many great comments about San Juan College. Anyone going there now..tell me what your experience is like and work load. I just want to make the right choice cause I never did classes like this before and I know many people are getting degrees online because of their life's. (

You are correct, because Platt has applied for accreditation but hasn't had their initial site visit you would be taking a risk that they wouldn't get their provisional accreditation and you wouldn't be able to sit for any exams. It may very well be that the program is going to have a site visit soon and will get accreditation in June/July but you always run that risk that they won't.

For San Juan College, the workload depends on how quickly you want to get through the program. You can take 1 or 2 courses a semester or you can take a full course load and finish the program in 5 semesters. I highly recommend that anyone planning to take an online veterinary technology program be employed in a veterinary clinic from day 1. My students who are working in clinics seem to have a much easier time with the material.I had the same experience many years ago when I was earning my degree at an onsite program. My fellow students who weren't already in a veterinary facility had a much harder time making sense of and retaining the information. SJC is much less expensive than Platt based upon what you have said, so that also makes the program more enticing though you really shouldn't just look at price.

breannebowers in Martinsburg, West Virginia

38 months ago

I came across this forum a few days ago and was not expecting there to be recent posts! This whole thing has been very informative for me. I'm 19 and finally came across what I would like to do with my life- become a vet tech! I grew up reading every Animal Ark book I could find and wanted to grow up to be a veterinarian but I think being a vet tech would be more ideal for me. The local college around where I live doesn't offer an accredited program, which is a problem for me because I can't exactly pick up and move to another state and attend college there, which is why I started looking into online courses. But I've been told that it's much more difficult which was disheartening to hear.San Juan has high appraisal in this forum but I have yet to look elsewhere for more recommendations. My biggest concern would really be finding a local vet office that would be willing to take me under their wing being as there are only so many in the small town that I live in. I'm just here looking for some helpful advice or useful information. Thanks in advance. :)

38 months ago

Oh! Another question that surprisingly wasn't mentioned in this forum, do you have to take an ACT or SAT before you can enroll in any of these distance learning programs?

38 months ago

I am from Parkersburg, WV and I have attended the program here in Fairmont WV you could attend school here or you could do one of the other programs online. I am not so convinced about all the bad stuff people are saying about Penn Foster it seems to be the best option if you need flexibility. San Juan seem good, but very complicated in how they have it set up. Any good program will have some type of internship or preceptorship where you work so many hours in a clinic and the vets there somewhat grade you. We even had them for the on campus program. hope this helps a little. I would just take time to read everything, you should with anything today. I think a lot of fthe people with the bad reports didn;t take the time to do so. Good luck.

38 months ago

How did you like that program? If I were to actually attend a college, I would probably do so out of state. There are some located in Pittsburgh which is about the equal distance away from me as Fairmont is.

VetMed15 in Vancouver, Washington

38 months ago

I was a Penn Foster student in their Veterinary Technology program, and I would highly recommend avoiding this program at all costs. First I would like to state that a lot of people reply to the negative PF reviews with "Online schooling isnt for everyone". I completed 1st semester with a 4.0 GPA. They have GREAT payment plans, however if you make payments, your books only come in shipments as you progress through the course, often leaving you with wait times of 3 weeks between courses. Special projects take up to 2 weeks to be graded. It was 6 weeks between having my semester finals shipped to my proctor to grading, and another 3 weeks waiting for Semester 2 books. There is MINIMAL instructor correspondence with the students, and emails to instructors often go unanswered. PF has made some positive changes, but they have a long long way to go, and personally I could not stand the thought of taking 4 years to get a two year degree.

I will be attending San Juan's VTDLP this fall, and all correspondence with the school has been nothing but top rate. Sherry (Program Coordinator) and Dr. Wright (Program Director) both answered emails within minutes, and gave me all the information I needed.

I would also like to add, that Penn Foster's credits DO NOT transfer to 4 year degree programs, so you are extremely limited if you choose to further your education after finishing PF's program.

There are some great Veterinary Technician Distance Learning programs out there. Research, and then research some more! Talk to students that are enrolled in the program if possible. I learned a costly mistake and am ultimately starting from ground zero because of it. I am however, extremely excited about my new start with SJC.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

natika in Flushing, New York

38 months ago

Hello vetmed15,

I am sorry about the experience you had at Penn Foster but on the other hand i am glad that you are still persuing vet tech. It is true what you said about the sttaff at SJC, they are very attentive and very helpful .At the moment im not enrolled at SJC but i have already talked with the program director who helping me with the enrolling process. Im looking forwards in starting this fall and maybe ifyou would like we can try to become online-classmattes so we could help each other out when we get stuck. If anyone else is serious and interested in f

natika in Flushing, New York

38 months ago

Sorry i clicked "reply" too soon. Like i ws saying if anyone is interested in starting a group for this fall post a reply.

Future.Vet.Tech. in Flint, Michigan

37 months ago

VetMed15 in Vancouver, Washington said: I was a Penn Foster student in their Veterinary Technology program, and I would highly recommend avoiding this program at all costs. First I would like to state that a lot of people reply to the negative PF reviews with "Online schooling isnt for everyone". I completed 1st semester with a 4.0 GPA. They have GREAT payment plans, however if you make payments, your books only come in shipments as you progress through the course, often leaving you with wait times of 3 weeks between courses. Special projects take up to 2 weeks to be graded. It was 6 weeks between having my semester finals shipped to my proctor to grading, and another 3 weeks waiting for Semester 2 books. There is MINIMAL instructor correspondence with the students, and emails to instructors often go unanswered. PF has made some positive changes, but they have a long long way to go, and personally I could not stand the thought of taking 4 years to get a two year degree.

I will be attending San Juan's VTDLP this fall, and all correspondence with the school has been nothing but top rate. Sherry (Program Coordinator ) and Dr. Wright (Program Director ) both answered emails within minutes, and gave me all the information I needed.

I would also like to add, that Penn Foster's credits DO NOT transfer to 4 year degree programs, so you are extremely limited if you choose to further your education after finishing PF's program.

There are some great Veterinary Technician Distance Learning programs out there. Research, and then research some more! Talk to students that are enrolled in the program if possible. I learned a costly mistake and am ultimately starting from ground zero because of it. I am however, extremely excited about my new start with SJC.

I'm in the same boat with Baker College in Michigan, having to start from ground zero now. Though I'm thinking online will definitely work better for me than the lecture classes I'm taking.

camikami in San Juan, Puerto Rico

37 months ago

Is there any good distance veterinary ASSISTANT program ? DISTANCE LEARNING PLEASE ACRREDITED BY THE AVMA ?

37 months ago

The AVMA doesn't accredit veterinary ASSISTANT programs. They only accredited veterinary medical and veterinary technology programs.

Rachel.Mess in Vancouver, Washington

35 months ago

VetMed15,

I'd love to get in touch with you as I was seriously considering signing up for Penn Foster's program until I found this forum. I'm extremely excited to see somebody from my area of the world with direct experience with this program (I now know I need to steer clear of Penn Foster) ... I'm seriously considering SJC simply from reading all the praise for the program on here, so I'll be researching that asap. I would love to be study buddies, if you're interested? (Also more than willing to group up with Nikita in New York)

My email address is Rachelsamess@aol.com - I hope to hear from you soon! :-)

Mars007 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

35 months ago

Is anyone at a distance school they like OTHER than Penn Foster (I don't like their high pressure car salesman tactics) and OTHER than San Juan that I had a terrible experience with recently?
I want to transfer my credits over and finish. I like that San Juan has non proctored exams and tests for the actual program (not electives sadly) so another school would have to have that feature. Testing anxiety here.
I make pennies as an assistant now and need that degree to make more. I do realize that $15 is still a small amount, but better than where I am at now.
My dream is to work at a sanctuary or real no kill rescue (because there are so many clinics that don't actually like animals very much) but there are no payed positions at any in my area bc they are all very small and volunteer run. Planning for the future I guess.

mistreated in Kingston, Ontario

34 months ago

Hollie in Trieste, Italy said: I want to go to school to become a Vet Tech, but am currently stationed in Italy with my husband (USAF) so I'll have to do a distance learning program. Does anyone have an opinion on the best or worst online programs?
Thanks!

you know what? people here told me to go to san juan and i did, it was horrible the head of vet tech was racist or something, i have never been treated so bad in my life, i had to switch over to penn foster then. I wasted money on applying because of all the shills here selling san jaun as a great school. If it was so great why was I treated like total garbage??? Penn foster did not treat me like that at all. AT least they support me when I need help or have questions or just want to talk about my problems even. THey are always there for me when I feel down.

San Jaun was a horrible place. ANd it is fault of people here that sent me there. seriously? shame on you shills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Meig in Fox Lake, Illinois

34 months ago

We are not shills. We are happy graduates or students of the SJC Vet Tech program.

I'm sorry you had a bad time with SJC, but I guess you can't please everyone. As for the "racist" comment, please elaborate so we can all know exactly what happened.

At no time during the program did I experience any racism or see any racism.

The support network at SJC is great, the instructors are great, the program is great. Not all programs are going to be for everyone. I am happy you found your place with Penn Foster, but to call people supporting SJC "shills" and that we should be ashamed for supporting a great program we believe in is uncalled for. I am a proud SJC graduate who is happy to support, and will continue to support, my alma mater.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   7  8  9  10  11  12  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.