Best/Worst Distance Learning Vet Tech Schools?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 546)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio

62 months ago

PLEASE consider applying @ any local veterinarian office as ancillary help before spending money on any school. SERIOUSLY. Veterinarians are looking for hands on trained people; I know that the manager @ one clinic won't even hire graduates of Stautzenberger College because those graduates lack all the hands on training that she (manager) feels is necessary to work as a registered vet tech (her stated position as a vet tech). Most vet clinics around the Cleveland area are not interested in a degree as much as in experience. What any textbook training will give you is a slight overview of what you will learn, & you will figure out quickly that you are learning the skills needed in @ least five different human fields (better pay, selection of hours & locations, etc). PLEASE don't make the same mistake like I did @ 40 years of age; I LOVED the job, graduated w/honors, & found it impossible to support myself (& only me)financially. I'm still recovering from the mental & emotional toll taken by the chronic overload of work (overscheduled & understaffed). You can do the research yourself; the average lifespan in the vet tech field is five years due to burnout (quoting Vet Tech magazine itself). We were really sold a lot of wishful thinking at Cuyahoga Community College/Columbus State in 1991.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

theresa in Waddell, Arizona

62 months ago

wow - now I dont know what to do either. I was looking into Kaplan College in my area (phoenix)< but I just cannot justify 35,000 for the course. (Im 46, two kids who will be in college soon, and a husband going to University of Phoenix. Im currently working two jobs - A full time job at American Express that makes me miserable, and a part time job at a vet office that I love - go figure), and llike everyone else, NO EXTRA MONEY (ok, no money period, but extra sounds better)I may be able to pull off 8-10 K for the san juan program . . . .we shall see

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

theresa in Waddell, Arizona

62 months ago

Oh, and Im not in Waddell, Arizona, Im in Surprise, but I cant change it. Its 1 am anyway, so I guess I shouldnt care . . .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

62 months ago

I have to disagree, just hands-on training in a clinic is far from the best option. I've worked at enough different clinics when I was doing relief work to see some seriously shoddy training going on and some terrible information given out. Getting a formal education is always important because on-the-job training is going to leave lots and lots of gaps in knowledge and skills. As someone who was trained on the job and then went to college, I've got personal experience with just how much you miss just by getting trained in a clinic and the difference in skill and competence the addition of a formal education makes.

You will get hands-on training during a formal education, however it is advisable to be working in a veterinary clinic while you are going to school. Even if it's only a few hours a week. The ability to get more practice at the skills you are learning while you are learning them is invaluable. Being able to put it to use immediately helps you to more fully understand what you've learned and retain what you've learned.

But again, even after being OTJ trained for more than 2 years getting a formal education was very eye-opening as to just how much I didn't know and wasn't likely to learn on the job. I know many many OTJ trained people and it's often startling when I talk to them just what gaps there are in their knowledge. They may be wonderful at many things, but there are gaps in important knowledge non-the-less. A formal education is well-worth the time and money and it's only likely to become more so with the changes that are occuring in many states in the way of legislature governing veterinary medicine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CVT06 in Tempe, Arizona

62 months ago

I have to agree with Cindy. I have been working in veterinary hospitals for the past 17 years. I earned my certification 3 years ago and believe me, the national test would have been a lot easier if I had gone to school first. I started school 1 year ago and I have learned things that I never would have learned with just OTJ training. A combination of school and OTJ training is very important. Sure, you are told how to perform a specific skill, but don't you want to know why you are doing what you are doing?

Think of it this way too...if more people go to school and earn degrees related to our profession, then we will begin to get the recognition that we deserve. This also means more respect from the veterinary community and higher salaries. I was given a $3.00 per hour raise when I became certified and I have also been able to perform many skills that other technicians are not allowed to do, such as administering anesthesia, intubation, urinary catheters in female dogs/cats and the occasional euthanasia. It's not just the pay raise, it's also the trust and respect that I was given by my bosses for being willing to take an active part in my education and career. It's the best decision that I have ever made!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dr. Margi Sirois in Port Richey, Florida

62 months ago

Wow..the volume of totally false information on here is mind boggling.

Penn Foster College graduates pass rate on the national exam is 100% - those who are posting that it is 'the lowest' or 'not good' are posting outright lies. There are established accredited traditional programs that dont even come close to that pass rate. The program is not probationally accredited nor did it 'slip' to provisional. Provisional accreditation is what ALL new programs receive that meet the requirements of the AVMA. Penn Foster is not a mail order instruction booklet; Penn Foster has no hidden fees - everything is disclosed to students in advance. It is also the only school that allows students to make monthly payments and to continue into other semesters while still paying for prior ones. There is no college that will give you a degree when you owe them money so no vet tech program will grant you a degree until your entire tuition is paid in full.
Provisional accreditation is not punitive and FULLY accredited does not imply that a program is 'higher level' than a provisional program.
Distance learning is not for everyone and certainly not for those who need everything spoon-fed to them. Distance learners are required to be independent and self-motivated. Everything is spelled out in writing for Penn Foster students.. all they have to do is read and for those that still dont get it, call and speak with an advisor.

Dr. Margi Sirois
former St Pete College Vet Tech Distance Ed Program Director
current Penn Foster College Vet Tech Distance Ed Program Director

(and no, I do not speak personally to any but senior students - there are over 6000 students in our program so other staff members handle freshmen)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

future_vet_tech in Phoenix, Arizona

62 months ago

Dr. Margi,

If I may interject, I personally called you around the end of November 2008 to do my due-diligence on the distance learning programs out there. You stated to me verbatim on the call that - "At this time Penn Foster has 7 graduates from the Veterinary Technician program, and we do not track the VTNE pass rates from our graduates." To me this is a huge discrediting to an institution and a very common question that the institution should prepare for with prospective student inquiries.

This was my 'deciding factor' to decide against Penn Foster when hearing this from the Director of the program. All of the information I stated in my previous posts are matters of opinion solely based off of MY personal experience when researching the program. Each time I called the "call center" to ask additional questions regarding the program; I was cohersed into a sales closing on taking my credit card # down instead of their attention to my specific questions. Along with the sliding tuition fee each term if I didn't commit by a certain date, I felt the school's first intention was revenue and not my education.

You also have other current or previous students on this forum who have attempted to or attended your program and their experiences have similar outcomes.

This is a forum of opinion and experience and not an academic discussion board. It just seems unreal that there are 6,000 students in the Veterinary Distance Learning program alone....The Director of my program now is a phone call or email away with less than a 24 hour turn-around response. Something that should be a requirement of a distance learning program faculty member.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I have never once spoken to any prospective student so you most definltely did not speak with me. No student has ever waited more than 24 hours for email responses from me. Do not continue to post false information

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

future_vet_tech in Phoenix, Arizona

62 months ago

That's nice to hear that the director of the program is not open to speaking to prospective students.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CVT06 in Chandler, Arizona

62 months ago

future_vet_tech in Phoenix, Arizona said: That's nice to hear that the director of the program is not open to speaking to prospective students.

You don't want to attend Penn Foster...great. Move along with your life and please stop spreading false information regarding a school that you don't even attend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

For those of you trying to decide which program to attend, let me offer the following FACTS
All accredited programs are required to teach the same material and document that students have learned the same skills. Some programs have heavier emphasis in one or more areas than others (i.e. large animal vs small animal). The programs are all structured differently and ALL accredited programs get you the same education. Your choice should be made based on how a particular program's structure fits with your life and your learning methods. Dont base your decision on what others say. Find out for yourself. Half the people posting on here have no actual firsthand knowledge and are just spreading false info. Ask yourself a few questions when you are choosing a program - do you require financial aid, do you need monthly payments, can you work 10 or 20 hours a week in a vet clinic, do you need a deadline or can you set your own pace, do you need to keep your non-vet industry fulltime job for a while.. these are the things that differentiate the programs more than anything else.
Recognize that you are getting a lot of bad info on any sites like this. Usually I ignore it but this one was sent to me by several of my current students who asked me to set the record straight. I am sure that some of the previous post'ers will continue to spew their false info and maybe I will pop back in again if my students ask me to.. otherwise, do the research for yourself.. ALL of the distance programs are good.. they are all just different from each other.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

You do have some sort of problem dont you? I never said I was not 'open to' speaking to prospective students.. just that I dont do it since I am rather busy with the thousands of enrolled students we have. Dont put words in other people's mouths.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

SarahB_LVT in Temple, Texas

62 months ago

Hey Everyone!

My response has Nothing to do with Penn Foster =o)

Just an opinion from my experience.
I am probably one of the few that started the vet tech program without having ANY experience in a vet clinic. What I find having worked in a couple different practices is that the "right way" interpreted very differently depending on where you work. Going to school you will learn the "real" right way on how to do things and you will always have that knowledge wherever you choose to work.
My first practice was very busy, 7 full time vets, 13 LVTs and it was also an AAHA hospital so everything was done very thoroughly, by the book, and even annoyingly redundent sometimes. My very good friend did not go to school but has only OTJ training at her first practice for 2 years where they never intubated animals for sx, and that is normal for her because that is what she was taught. Now we both work at the same clinic and our interpretation of standard of care is very different. She is a wonderful tech and was shocked to find that her first teachings are not ideal. She has even stated that if she was taught differently she would have never worked at that practice.
I'm all for going to school.
If you are having a hard time deciding on school because of money issues...I'm not going to lie, it is not easy. It takes ALOT of time, and you HAVE to study if you want to pass. Just something to consider beofore spending. Its kind of like nursing school except instead of learning once species... You learn several.
PS: I know I am a horrible speller, and I hate gramar with a passion, so please excuse my responses if they look ugly... I can however figure any drug dose in about 5 seconds LOL
Take care ALL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca Howell in Wahiawa, Hawaii

61 months ago

My name is Rebecca Howell And I have beena tech for 6 yearsand a student at penn foster for 2 years now. working on my associates degree in animal science veterinary technology. I am just getting started on my 3rd semester...you can go as fast as you like. I am a military wife working full time at VCA animal hospital. I have had no issue with penn foster and have two other coworkers that are enrolled and one was on account of me. If the graduation rate is low maybe the people taking the national and state exams did not study enough. This program is not easy and have learned so much. This program suits my life and family and have had no issues,as far as DR margi's book go buy it its good! The Mosbys PDQ!!! Well anyway I have no idea where I am gonna take my state exam yet due to the military but I will be studying for it....Every state is different.....This program is no joke and is not for the weak. Its actually harder then being in a full time college setting. You have to study and the forums are there to help and interact with students and instructors. As far as not moving forward with courses due to class participation you have to participate, all distance learning programs will have you do that. If you have never attended penn foster dont judge them.....Its fine go somewhere else if you like....Dont believe all you here on the internet make sure all the facts are straight!
Have a nice day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmac in Hickory, North Carolina

61 months ago

My daughter is interested in vet tech schools. Unfortunately there are none in our state convenient to where she lives. She is thinking about the online programs. Does anyone know about courses transferring into these programs? She already holds a BS degree in Equine Studies--so would her "general studies" courses transfer over?

61 months ago

Course transferral depends on where the courses were taken. So long as they were at a recognized college or community college they would transfer. The only way to know for sure is going to be to contact the college she is looking at attending and ask.

Someone in the know.....

61 months ago

Melissa in Appleton, Wisconsin said: Thanks for your comment. I know about the Moraine Park program, and its only provisionally accredited, and San Juan is fully accredited, so that makes me think San Juan is better and is proven, and I would rather do that, especially since I have heard nothing but good things about it.

What do u think about provisional accreditation?

I guess since I've heard such good things about SJC, and they are both distance, then I would rather take the fully accredited over the provisional, especially since I can get financial aid for both.

What do you think about this?

All AVMA accredited programs start at provisional accreditation. A graduate of a provisionally accredited program is the same as a graduate of a fully accredited program. Please view AVMA's website for the proof. Make sure you read to the bottom of the page:

www.avma.org/education/cvea/vettech_programs/vettech_programs.asp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Slugbug63 in Morris, Oklahoma

61 months ago

I was just wondering if anyone is from Oklahoma and/or if anyone has attended CCC in Tulsa? I'm interested in attending the Vet Tech program and I'm just curious about anyone elses experiences.

JUAL in Willingboro, New Jersey

60 months ago

Hello Everybody,

I would like to know if and how I can do the exam to become a certified veterinary technician, that is, legally allowed to practice. I did my studies in Animal Health and Two Years of veterinary medicine in a non-US territory.

60 months ago

JUAL in Willingboro, New Jersey said: Hello Everybody,

I would like to know if and how I can do the exam to become a certified veterinary technician, that is, legally allowed to practice. I did my studies in Animal Health and Two Years of veterinary medicine in a non-US territory.

You will need to contact the New Jersey Veterinary Medical Association to discuss the specifics of your situation as they may or may not make special dispensation for your education.

www.njvma.org/public/careers/index.asp

Until such time as you can become registered in New Jersey, you can fill the position of veterinary assistant.

60 months ago

Hey guys,

Thanks very much! This country has such complicated, convoluted regulations u just keep goin round in cirles trying to get simple information!

So from your email and what I read on the NJVMA website, it seems as if it is possible to become registered as a Vet "something" as long as one has sufficient work experience or a satisfactory qualification in some form of Animal Science, Is this correct?

mtharbison in Granite Bay, California

60 months ago

I do have to point out I have also researched the schools and Penn Foster clearly discloses you have to pay before graduating. Not sure where you got your info. If you go to the website it is in everything that discusses payment plans.

futurevet_tech_arizona in Scottsdale, Arizona said: Hello,

I have looked into all the distance learning programs that are accredited by the AVMA and San Juan College is far superior than the others. Penn Foster college didn't have any pass rates from the state exams and have alot of hidden fees along the way. PFC also has a "payment plan" but forget to disclose that all the payments have to be made before you graduate. I decided to enroll at SJC because San Juan's staff is very attentive and helpful.

mtharbison in Granite Bay, California

60 months ago

WickedCora in Huntington Beach, California said: WOW!! i have no idea what school to choose now and what comments to trust now. I just received my info packets today from penn foster, and had them less than an hour before i tossed them into the trash because of all the negative stuff i read on here. I think i will choose san juan online distance learning, as long as i dont have to pay off each semester before i can start the next. And as long as i dont have to pay the full balance before i receive my diploma, then im good because im as poor as a hobo right now, especially from living in HB. California for that matter!

ps nadya suleman sucks!

Not sure what world you are in, but at any college you attend in the good old USA you must pay before you get a diploma. Why would they give you something you haven't paid for. If you are so broke you can look into financial aid or some clinics if you are already working will help pay for you education.

JUAL in Oaklyn, New Jersey

60 months ago

Isn't it reasonable 2 assume dat u'd haf 2 pay b4 u can get goods or services? That's business, and educational instituions r in business. Some of those Penn Foster issues (not the fact that u need 2 pay b4 u can move on 2 the next stage,that's perfectly normal), have me concerned though,cuz I'm seriously thinking about them. If I can do my course onine, why stress myself out over getting 2 and from school (except if it's a live-in situation). Was the person who's making the comments about Penn Foster ever in their programme, and from whom and where are you getting your information? I'd like to hear from an actual graduate of Penn Foster.

In any case different people will ALWAYS have different experiences doing the very same thing because we ALL have different personalities and different learning needs. That's just life, you choose what works for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

JUAL in Oaklyn, New Jersey said: Isn't it reasonable 2 assume dat u'd haf 2 pay b4 u can get goods or services? That's business, and educational instituions r in business. Some of those Penn Foster issues (not the fact that u need 2 pay b4 u can move on 2 the next stage,that's perfectly normal), have me concerned though,cuz I'm seriously thinking about them. If I can do my course onine, why stress myself out over getting 2 and from school (except if it's a live-in situation). Was the person who's making the comments about Penn Foster ever in their programme, and from whom and where are you getting your information? I'd like to hear from an actual graduate of Penn Foster.

In any case different people will ALWAYS have different experiences doing the very same thing because we ALL have different personalities and different learning needs. That's just life, you choose what works for you.

If you are at all worried about Penn Foster, don't forget that though they may be the most heavily advertised of the AVMA accredited distance education programs they are far from the only one. There are several accredited programs offered that you can take without having to travel to and from school.

jo in Muskegon, Michigan

60 months ago

Hollie in Trieste, Italy said: I want to go to school to become a Vet Tech, but am currently stationed in Italy with my husband (USAF) so I'll have to do a distance learning program. Does anyone have an opinion on the best or worst online programs?
Thanks!

Go to pennfoster.edu Im am taking classes there for the same thing. Good online school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I haven't done distance learning, but I've thoroughly checked out Penn Foster. They are 100% Accredited to offer Distance Learning Programmes, I will have to send you the website with the information. It's where you can go to see if ANY school is Accredited and what type of accreditation they have (because there are different categories of accreditation). It seems as if they are also correct in saying that they are the first/oldest Distance Learning School, from the date I saw on the website. They are also the most consistent and aggressive in terms of advertising their programmes ALL OVER THE WORLD,(because I've known them to be advertising in the Caribbean, where I'm from,for over 20 years)and the cost of their tuition is quite reasonable.I didn't do my Diploma with them because their courses are not accredited in my country. Remember Accreditation has nothing to do with the quality of the programme, it's what a country choses to recognize, and of course every country will recognize their own courses over another country's because it makes financial and bureaucratic sense. So if you plan to work in your own country, make sure your certification would be relevant there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Jo in Muskegon Michigan, I assumed u were living in Italy, but it seems as if ur just temporarily stationed there. However, d info still stands, ensure that u cud use the certification in d country where u plan 2 work, but if it's just 2 gain knowledge of the profession, then accreditation is not an issue.

Poss ex-Penn Foster Student in Albany, New York

60 months ago

I am currently enrolled in Penn Foster. I had nothing but rave reviews for the program for my first two semesters. Now that I am on my Practicum though things are not going so great. I work in a busy clinic and the area I live in is very tech savvy. For your practicum you have to do non-digital x-rays. Well out of 30 clinics around me I found 2 that did non-digital x-rays. 1 would not let me in because of the clinic I work for(rivalry sucks) and the other does not even label x-rays. Penn foster would not help me with my problem after contacting them numerous times and I took the x-ray the way the one clinic did them and took digital at my clinic to show them I knew what I was doing and all I get back is we don't accept digital x-rays. No offense but I would really love to hear of a AAHA clinic that still hand dips or that isn't trying to switch to digital. Currently I'm looking into other schools and hoping my credits get transferred. And my supervisor in PF take about 4 days to get back a hold of me through email. I'm not going to say Penn Foster is terrible before my practicum I loved the place and had 2 friends sign up but now I'm highly debating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Albany NY, If your only issue with Penn Foster is the xray, and you were completely satisfied before, maybe you should think twice before you jump ship. However, an educational institution that requires its students to do an externship or practicum, MUST have a list of recommended places where its students routinely go for this training. They MUST know where there are facilities that meet the standards they want. I have done two years of Vet School (DVM), not Vet Tech School, Vet School,in the Caribbean, and this is how it works. Students are given a list of clinics, farms etc. where they may do their extenship.

I agree, I would also want to transfer if I could be sure of getting a school that had a more organized practical programme and my grades could be transferred. The problem with that is that you usually don't get all what you want or need in any one school, and it can be more complicated to transfer than to find a way to work with PF and finish your course there. How did the students who went there before you do it? They should be able to tell you this.

60 months ago

We are talking about a much larger area than the Carribean Islands. Students from Penn Foster may be living anywhere in the US and it would be ridiculous for a school to attempt to rate clinics in all areas of the country.

Poss Ex-Penn Foster Student, you may find that the issue with the x-rays may very well be the same. The schools have to maintain certain standards to maintain their AVMA accredidation. I would recommend that you contact your local vet tech association and see if they can recommend a place where you might be able to go take the x-rays that you need for school. Finding some local help may get you over this hurdle.

60 months ago

PENN FOSTER students may be living anywhere in the world, including the aribbean, Africa, or Europe, NOT JUST ANYWHERE IN THE US. This is a Distance Learning Institution, it's intention is 2 educate persons worlwide, not just residents of the US. And if they undertake to do this then it's their responsibility to ascertain where there are facilities for their practicums. If these facilities are not available in a particular region, then students must be told this, and the students MUST understand that it's their responsibility to get to a country, state or neighbourhood where they must do their practicum, when the time comes, or choose another school.

For eg. Penn Foster told me that I would have to do my practicum in the US or with an AVMA Accredited institution, therfore, I know that if I want to study with PF I'd have to fly to the US at some point. That's simple and straightforward. The fact that you are studying in the US does not exempt you from this, if you have to move to another area to do your practicum, you just do it if you need to finish your programme.

If however, they cannot guarantee me a list of vet clinics that would accept me or have the required facilities, then I would say that's a raw deal and look for another school, before I sign up.

60 months ago

And contacting the Vet Tech Association in ur area is a good idea, if the xrays your main issue.

60 months ago

There seem to be a number of RVTs on this site. Why is no one recommending the College they studied at, for all these people that seem to be having issues with Penn Foster.

Kraines08 in New Castle, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

I am not sure where you people are getting your information from about Penn Foster. I am almost done with my first semester and I love the program. I haven't had one issue yet. If you follow the instructions given to you then you will be fine. Of course this courseisn't easy. No college should be. We all have to know the information to work on animals that are counting on us to save their lives. I think that people show their ignorance when the don't even attend the school they are bad mouthing. Do your homework nd nev judge a book by it's cover!

Mogg in Youngstown, Ohio

60 months ago

I'm very interested in attending San Juan College in January. Can someone who is or has attended the school answer a few questions for me plz?

1. What is the total tuition cost of the program for an out of state student? I thought I read $8000
2. How does that cost break down per semester? (i.e. $2000 per semester)
3. When is the cost of each semester's tuition due? (i.e. does the full cost need paid up front?)
4. I know it's a 2 year program, does that mean 4 semesters total?
5. If I take classes Winter-Summer-Fall I can be done in ~ 18 months, correct?

I appreciate everyones' comments!

60 months ago

Contact Dr. Wright or one of the RVT's who teach at San Juan.
Their out of state tuition is $70 per credit hour. You can find more information about their progam by looking through their website: www.sanjuancollege.edu/vettech

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mogg in Youngstown, Ohio

60 months ago

I did see the $70 credit/hour on their site. But if you go 15 hours / semester at $70 / hour, that only equates to $1050 a semester. Sounds a little too cheap for schooling. I'll contact Dr. Wright. Thanks.

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: Contact Dr. Wright or one of the RVT's who teach at San Juan.
Their out of state tuition is $70 per credit hour. You can find more information about their progam by looking through their website: www.sanjuancollege.edu/vettech

JUAL in Port-of-spain, Trinidad and Tobago

60 months ago

Thank u! It's about time someone else asked d question. I'm hearing Tom, Dick, Harry and Jane commenting about which school is good or bad. I have not heard one comment from a Vet Tech recommending d college they attended. I wonder why. With reference to d job, I suggest people check websites that report d results of surveys. They r more likely to b accurate bcuz they have no vested interest,they report their findings. Vet Tech Colleges are businesses. Of course they will tell prospective students that they have great opportunities at d end of studying wth them, they want u money. This is the case with anyone offering a good or service. It is d buyer's (d student's) responsibility to find out what happens in real life. Colleges can only prepare u up to a point,reality does d rest.

60 months ago

I would gladly recommend the college I attended, however I also know that most veterinary technology students aren't going to/can't relocate to earn their degree.

As I recommended in one of my other posts, prospective students should really go to websites like VSPN where there are a large number of veterinary assistants, veterinary technicians and veterinary technology students who can help them with more detailed answers about different programs. This website simply doesn't have alot of qualified or experienced people to answer these types of questions. Other avenues for getting accurate information and recommendations are going to be state veterinary technician associations because that is where a person has access to lots of people who are in this field and have experience both with the different educational facilities and working conditions.

This forum is only a stepping stone and you aren't going to be able to get lots of in-depth information because there are so few experienced and qualified persons here posting.

60 months ago

In fact, I have recommended the program I attended in other posts ;)

Andrea in Highland, Michigan

60 months ago

San Juan College, out of state is $70 per credit, you can take up to 18 credits per semester, summer classes are offerd too...good luck!

JUAL in Arima, Trinidad and Tobago

60 months ago

Yes, but ppl don't want 2 hear from Schools that want 2 get their money at all cost,nor do they want 2 hear from ppl who r supposed 2 make "politically correct" statements that may or may not b true. They want 2 get from d "horses' mouth" (those who claim that they went tru d system), what worked or did not work 4 them. The websites r not going 2 tell prospective students what deficiencies schools have.

At d end of d day I still don't hear recommendation about d schools those who say they r RVTs attended. Is it a problem 2 call d name of d school and say what d experience was like. That's wat people want 2 hear. And of course, Vet Tech students, just like students of any other discipline may choose 2 relocate 2 pursue their course if they chose 2 do it on campus. Every year ppl travel 2 distant countries, or places 2 work and study. D issue is that it is more difficult 2 assess an online programme there is no facility 2 visit, no farms no labs, no classrooms and no physical ppl 2 talk 2. Therefore, d only reliable wat 2 make a determination is 2 hear from those who " actually did an online course" and evaluate their success.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

It's obvious that you haven't read much on here because I and other people have recommended the schools that we went to or schools that are now run by the head of the veterinary technology program we went through. BUT (and this is a bit but that you don't seem to be getting)there simply ARE NOT alot of people on this forum who have gone through a veterinary technology program so you aren't going to see lots of recommendations for specific programs here. I have recommended San Juan because the program director and his staff were instructors and program director at the on-site program that I took many years ago. I have recommended Cedar Valley in Lancaster, TX to people who are local to that area. But the simply reality is that most people asking aren't near the DFW area in Texas.

You also obviously haven't spent much time on VSPN (if at all) as politically correct answers are what you get there. That forum is for people who are in the field to have discusssions amongst themselves without having to be politically correct because it isn't an open/public forum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dana in Wappingers Falls, New York

60 months ago

Thanks to this forum, I decided not to go with Penn Foster and instead registered with San Juan College. So far, they seem to be extremely nice. My phone meeting with them went extremely well and very helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said:

You also obviously haven't spent much time on VSPN (if at all) as politically correct answers are what you get there. That forum is for people who are in the field to have discusssions amongst themselves without having to be politically correct because it isn't an open/public forum.

I meant to say that politically correct answers are not what you get on VSPN. It's a private forum where hospital staff and veterinary technicians speak their minds, ask questions and share information amongst each other. It's not designed for the general public.

60 months ago

Dana in Wappingers Falls, New York said: Thanks to this forum, I decided not to go with Penn Foster and instead registered with San Juan College. So far, they seem to be extremely nice. My phone meeting with them went extremely well and very helpful.

That's great. I really like Dr. Wright. He's a nice man and really wants to turn out well-educated students.

pebcle@yahoo.com in Lakewood, Ohio

59 months ago

If you're looking for reliable information about classes/schools in veterinary technology, you have to consider that your state vet tech association has its own vested interest (call it conflict of interest) in recommendations. I can tell you that the president of the OH Association of Veterinary Technicians became the new manager @ the clinic where I was working as a vet tech (licensed since 1970), took other staff members for CE, ignoring my need for CE to renew my license (which never was posted here or where I worked for a dozen years previously) since it was her agenda to get rid of everyone hired by the previous manager anyway. She has openly threatened me where I now work on the premises (the parts of this facility have been in litigation for three years). It was always my impression that the members of the OAVT are more interested in their own positions of power than any responsibility to the constituency, OH's veterinary technicians. The fact is that the OH vet licensing board doesn't cite any clinic for refusing to post our licenses, supposedly a legal requirement. All the OAVT would need to do is have techs pay their dues into an escrow fund & the OVMLB couldn't access the payments until the OVMLB enforced its own legal requirement of OH's veterinary clinics accordingly.

59 months ago

I'm sorry that the president of the Ohio state vet tech association has been a problem for you. (Who was that by the way as if it's is the person who is currently attening the seminar with me I would like to know or if maybe it is the past president as several of us who are heading up state associations are currently dealing with things that past boards have done.) However, I have to disagree that the state vet tech associations have a vested interest in recommendations. Vet tech associations are not sponsored by schools, they are not tied with schools. Schools train the current and potential members of our associations, but the schools have no role in the running of state associations. State vet tech associations also have no control over the state licensing boards nor does the licensing board get funds from the state association. You are talking about a non-profit professional association that represents veterinary technicians' goals/needs/wants to other organizations (state vet tech association) vs. a legal government entity (state licensing board).

I think maybe you need to look more at what a state association actually is and does and if you see a problem with the current president then work to replace that elected officer. And if there is a problem with someone not posting the required licenses for DVMS or certificates of registration for veterinary technicians then you need to report them to the licensing board. But your veterinary technician association is not a law-making or law-enforcing entity.

krusty in Glendora, California

59 months ago

Amy Kam in Denver, Colorado said: I am currently finishing my first semester at san juan college new mexico. I like that i dont have to do something daily because i dont always have time but yet i still have deadlines so I am making strides towards my goal of CVT.
Amy Kam 3 yrs experience
Banfield the Pet Hospital

How long did it take you to finish or when will you be done?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.