Best/Worst Distance Learning Vet Tech Schools?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 546)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

54 months ago

There aren't any real "international accredidations" for veterinary technology degree programs. But San Juan College has a low tuition, a good director and staff and seems to be really focused on helping their students. (I know the staff and director personally from when they were at an on-site veterinary technology program.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linnie Jean in leesport, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

I was wondering if a vet. tech. degree might be a good stepping stone for eventually going into vet. medicine?? Any thoughts on this?

Do any of the vet. tech schools have seperate degrees for small versus large animals.

SJC sounds like it is one of the best schools for the program. My other choice would be Purdue but the cost is much higher for the same quality of education at SJC.

Great comments on this site. Thanks to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

No, the vet tech schools don't have seperate degrees for small vs. large animals. They do tend to offer elective courses or require that you do large animal courses as well as small animal courses.

I'm not sure that a degree in veterinary technology is really a good stepping stone to a degree in veterinary medicine. Many of the courses may not transfer to an appropriate bachelors degree program that would allow you to apply to vet school. You would really need to contact a counselor at the college of veterinary medicine where you would want to go to school and ask questions diretly of the school before you make any decisions. (It's always best to get info "straight from the horse's mouth".)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ASOS in Cleveland, Ohio

54 months ago

Kris in Sacramento, California said: Did SJC take your credits from Penn Foster? And did PF give you all your credits up to practicum? I mean were your 2nd semester classes completed and credited? Other then practicum? I am currently midway in my 2nd semester. And truly only worried about practicum. I so far have had no problems with PF and have enjoyed the classes and learning experience. As a mom of 6 children I have limited time to attend classes. Yes the proctors took a long time and yes I think they should be broken up a bit more but I was 9 months pregnant when I did my 1st semester proctors. I did not get up 1 time the entire 6 hours (even though you are allowed a break) and i managed to pass all but math and that i took last, I was fried and also suck at math like that. But I passed my retest. I made honor roll for the first semester. If a 9 month preggo lady can handle it I doubt anyone else couldn't. i only worry about practicum because 1. limited time frame, 2. I live in an area with 4 campus colleges offering vet tech degrees and most vet facilities have their quota of students already. Other then fear of finding a place and time for the practicum, (which i would need to do regardless of which distance school I attend) I have had no problems with Penn Foster.

Kris!! I am about to enroll in the San Juan distant learning program for fall.. Is it a good school? Is it easy to maneuver around their site for the classes? I saw the demo class and it seems like it will be good. any feedback would be appreciated!!

KAT the Dog Lover in Long Beach, California

54 months ago

Hi ASOS,

I'm in my second semester at SJC and it's the first time I've ever taken an online course. I think it's great for several reasons. The course materials are available 24/7, most of the course structures and GUI are similar to the demo (not exact but easy enough to navigate), most of the quizzes and exams can be taken multiple times for optimal grade points, you can chat with classmates via discussion board forums, the staff are wonderful, and the cost is not prohibitive even if they are raising their fees as of Fall 2010 (financial aid available for those who qualify).

www.sanjuancollege.edu

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ASOS in Cleveland, Ohio

54 months ago

KAT -

Awesome! I'm excited to start! Did you try to get scholarships through the school? Have you been able to take classes full time or is it too many? They suggested I start with 4 or 5 classes instead of 6. Have you started working at a hospital yet? If so, was it hard to find one that was approved? any feedback would be great! Glad to hear you are so pleased.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

ASOS: I did not get scholarships b/c I didn't have time to sift thru them before starting in FA09; I'm not eligible for grants b/c I already have a BA. Full-time minimum is 6 credit hours (about 3 classes) to maintain financial aid; currently I am taking 4 classes. I have not begun working at an OCCI, and the job market's still crappy, but I haven't given up. The best OCCI site would be an animal hospital or medical center with a lab for the upper-Tier Clinical Pathology courses (VETT 136, VETT 216); it's possible to combine facilities if that's how you need to make it work. I have only two Tier 1 courses left to take, so I'll be moving up to the next level soon and I hope to secure a preceptor soon.... I think you'll like SJC. Sherry is awesome, and the whole staff and faculty really are a wonderful group.

edg017 in Riverside, California

53 months ago

I'm very interested in the vet tech program at san juan college. I've already applied and have been doing some research. I saw that they require a few general ed classes. Are they suppose to be taken before you start the program..or can they be taken along with? And are they online classes as well? I've taken a few general ed classes at a community college in southern california, and it's extremely overcrowded, getting gen ed classes is impossible. I'm hoping it's easier at san juan?

Kodiak in Burlington, North Carolina

53 months ago

Hi, I'm an on-line vet tech student at SJC. The best person to talk with is Sherry Hair she can explain everything to you. Everyone at SJC is very helpful and great to deal with. I graduated college 30 years ago and they accepted my courses towards the degree. The couple ge classes I needed were available on-line. I know they fill up fast, so an early registration is important. Also, you need to have all your ge classes completed before tier 2. I am taking a few of the vet tech classes and in the fall I am taking ge and then back to vet tech. Hope this helps. You'll love SJC!

edg017 in Riverside, California

53 months ago

Thank you, that helps a lot! Can't wait to start.

deschutes in West Warwick, Rhode Island

53 months ago

Hello everyone...seems to be a lot of great feedback on the SJC program. I'm currently researching programs with plans to enter in Fall 2010. One question I have for any current of former SJC students... does the program and staff provide any assistance in finding the off-campus clinical instruction?
I'm currently in the middle of a career change, and although i'm searching out opportunities, I currently do not work in or have any direct veterinary experience.

Thanks in advance.

53 months ago

Hi deschutes: I, too, am in the midst of a career change, and I once had the same question so I asked Dr. Wright directly. Here is the core of his answer:

- SJC VTDLP does not keep a list of potential OCCI facilities in part, due to confidentiality reasons, and the unpredictable employment situations. OCCI sites are traditionally veterinary practices; shelters, pounds, etc. may serve under certain conditions. A minimum of 10 hours per week is expected. You will need to find and obtain employment in a practice by the time you begin Tier 2 course work.

- Usually the best place to start is with your regular veterinarian or with practices near where you live. Be honest and let them know that you are looking for a long-term employment relationship and that you are willing to start at the bottom and work your way up. You will know the best environment for you and your goals.

- SJC staff are always willing to talk with prospective preceptors.

SJC's site has a lot of info, and the staff is very helpful to students and everyone else, too. Check it out, and dig thoroughly! :)

www.sanjuancollege.edu/vettech

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

lucie90 in Albany, New York

53 months ago

Hey I'm from Albany ny but am at school at Alfred state ,I need an internship but so far all the vets I contacted say no any ideas????

SJC student in Albany, New York

53 months ago

lucie90 in Albany, New York said: Hey I'm from Albany ny but am at school at Alfred state ,I need an internship but so far all the vets I contacted say no any ideas????

I'm also from albany and it is so hard to find a place... most clinic around here told me that they are to small to allow an internship...Your best bet is try to get hired at a clinic and do your internship off the clock or during slow times.... That can get rough though... good luck in your search and hopefully you will have better luck then me.

AZ CVT in Gilbert, Arizona

53 months ago

As of yesterday, Penn Foster is now FULLY accredited. Just thought you might want to know...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

k9dopehtr in Wylie, Texas

53 months ago

I am very curious as to how this information was obtained. How were you able to find out? The AVMA still has Penn Foster's VT Program listed as provisional so I am wondering when they will update!

53 months ago

I am a student there and received an e-mail from the program director. As to when the AVMA will update their information, I dont have an answer for that. Keep checking for the update on their website.

Kris

53 months ago

Isn't it awesome! I am so proud of all the teachers and personnel that have made PF what it is today. Even more so to the graduates who have paved the way for the rest of us to graduate from a fully accredited school! I can't wait for the AVMA to update their website. WTG PF!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

You and me both Kris! Thanks to the endless hours that Dr. Margi put in, the wonderful staff and the hard work of our graduates, we can now say that we are fully accredited! Hope this puts alot of the negative comments about accreditation to rest.

For all the PF students out there: Go to Dr. Margi's announcement board and you can read the great news for yourself!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

k9dopehtr in Wylie, Texas

53 months ago

Well congrats !!!

Star007 in Wisconsin

53 months ago

Hi!
I have some animal experience, but cannot seem to even get an interview as a vet assistant around here (background)
I was considering Penn Foster, but when I called for more information, they started the extremely high pressure tactics. I had to sign up right away and pay in full to get the great discount.Theytold me that only with them could i work at my own pace and conceivably finish in under a year. They bashed their competitors,online as well as universities that "make you learn a lot of extr things you don't need and over-charge". When I asked questions they told me "they take care of everything" and were very vague. After answering my questions, they immediately started in again that if I was really serious about my career I would sign up on the spot - all I needed was a credit card etc. I said I needed time to consider other options and the payment plan and the high pressure tactics and reverse psychology continued.
I have read good reviews and bad reviews, and the closest actual state college program is hours away -not something i can do economically.
Besides SJC, are there other good options?

Star007 in Wisconsin

53 months ago

I apologize for the spelling and grammer mistakes - my laptop keys seem to be sticking!

Star007 in Wisconsin

53 months ago

Kodiak in Burlington, North Carolina said: Hi,
I took Penn Foster's Veterinary Assistant Program to see how I would like it. I had no problems with the on-line school and received all of my course materials very rapidly. I was never waiting on them before I could continue. I also wanted to take the Veterinay Technology program but the provisional status bothers me. I don't want to pay and be in the middle of the course and have the accredition pulled and there I will sit having spent money only not to be accredited.
I check out where future-vet-tech said about San Juan College. They are fully accredited and when I contacted them they were the nicest people. Plus alot of there info is on their web site. Any thing you need to know they can help you with.
Even though I did the Vet Assistant with Penn Foster, I will probably go with San Juan College. Their tution is reasonable and I just feel more comfortable with them.

When I asked Penn Foster about the Vet Assistant vs the Vet Tech program, they said that the Vet Assistant program was a waste of time if you wanted to be a Vet Tech because VetAssistant is something you don't "really" even need schooling for since it's on the jobtraining mostly and nothing you can't learn on your own (depending on the vet clinic) because it's just assisting the vet and techs with minial tasks.They said a Vet Assistant degree is pretty much useless... A vet clinic I had an interview with told me essentially the same thing, but why offer the program then?

Star007 in Wisconsin

53 months ago

Lisa in Milford, Ohio said: Please do not enroll in Penn Foster's program! I started with it and am now transferring to San Juan's program. Penn Foster is terrible. There is absolutely no guidance or direction on the courses. You are pretty much left on your own once you sign up. There are no assignments to reinforce learning. Literally, all you do is read a book and take a test on the material. There are hands-on practicums at the end of semesters 2 & 4, but again, not a lot of info available on it. I was not impressed with this program. I WASTED my money on the first semester, which has taken me almost 2 years to complete. With no timeframe on the courses, some of the students have been working on the degree for years! There's no powerpoints, lectures, videos, NOTHING besides a textbook.

I can't wait to get started at San Juan. I just applied today. Reading these comments here reinforced to me that I made the right choice.

How is it going?

Star007 in Wisconsin

53 months ago

As a pet owner, I have found an inexcusable number of vet clinics that have no regard for animals. I guess it's different everywhere...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Star007 in Wisconsin

53 months ago

Star007 in Wisconsin said: As a pet owner, I have found an inexcusable number of vet clinics that have no regard for animals. I guess it's different everywhere...

(sorry this was in reply to the comment about vet clinics that prefer people over animals and treat them badly...)

Star007 in Wisconsin

53 months ago

Also to be fair, I have read countless online scam reports on Penn Foster, bad reviews, etc. but has anyone had complaints on SJC or any of the other online programs? I would like to be informed as much as possible and my personal experience is only of the people who answer the phones at Penn Foster regarding enrollment.
I've heard some vets say it's a waste of time, others recommend it, and yet others who have no opinion...

Kodiak in Burlington, North Carolina

53 months ago

Hi Star007,
I took the PF Veterinary Assistant course to see if I would like the area of Veterinary Assistant/Technlogy. I like the area of study and I am currently an on-line student in the SJC Veterinary technology program. SJC has better communication with the students and just has that personal touch which I didn't get from PF. PF made me feel like a number in the deli line. I'm still trying to figure out how PF received full accrediation. I tried numerous times to find out how many people where in the program and how many passed their state exams and was told they don't keep that info. But, SJC was able to give me the info without a second thought. They are always there and have to be the most personal, helpful people I have dealt with in a while.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dbear5 in Indianapolis, Indiana

52 months ago

My son has been accepted to Purdue Vet Tech Distance Learning. He is currently working at a vet's office and one of the employees is going to San Juan. He is now considering changing to San Juan. Can anyone give me pros and cons? HELP I thought we had this all figured out.

Kodiak in Greensboro, North Carolina

52 months ago

Hi dbear5,
When deciding which school to go to I talked with a few and had it down to Purdue or SJC. If you scan thru some of the posts from Cindy in Texas it pretty much says it all. Purdue you are paying for the name. In the end, with either Purdue or SJC you are graduating with the same degree and both are fully accrediated by the AVMA. Cost is a major factor and SJC was more cost effective. When I started there is was around 32 a credit hour and recently it has gone up the last two semesters. Starting this fall it is 97 a credit hour. Which is still more cost effective than Purdue. If your son wants to further his education to a four year degree I recently found out that The State University of NY has an on-line program and the credit hours are the same for in-state and out of state residents for the on-line program. Hope this helps.

pebcle in Cleveland, Ohio

52 months ago

Star007 in Wisconsin said: (sorry this was in reply to the comment about vet clinics that prefer people over animals and treat them badly...)

When I was studying veterinary technology in Columbus in 1991, I worked part time @ the cheapest local clinic (no appointments/all walk in). While the doctor seemed competent as a surgeon & general veterinarian when he was on the floor, he spent most of his time reading the Wall Street Journal & studying the stock market. One of the main staff always ranted about how much she didn't like pets anyway & was only working until she got her management degree from a deVry like school that had billboards all over Columbus. She actually slammed animals around sometimes. One of the registered techs spent most of her time on the telephone selling a veterinary computer program. Neither of these "honchos" were friendly or kind to staff, either. I always checked on surgery recovery since I passed among the cages from the back parking lot & found disturbing neglect sometimes. I quit when they refused to give me my Saturday off the month of the four day CE for vets & techs in Columbus (we all got one Saturday off a month; they were actually laughing about not giving me that particular Saturday off). Unfortunately, I have found this attitude way too prevalent, the bullying all too common, disinterested clinic owners compounded w/power mad control freaks in charge of departments. I'm still suffering from the burnout; I still have nightmares about the vortex to hell where I worked for 12 + years in North Ridgeville, OH. Understaffed, overbooked, overloaded worse than a coal mine donkey among people who covered their butts by stabbing me in the back & skinning me alive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Are there no community colleges anywhere for all of you who want to study veterinary technology? You do know that it's the same medical training in labs, pharmacy, nursing math, radiology, anesthesiology, etc as those individual disciplines for humans?

asos in Cleveland, Ohio

52 months ago

That's terrible! Which hospital was it in N. Ridgeville, so I know not to apply there!!! Thanks!

Sunny Arizona in Mesa, Arizona

52 months ago

Why on earth would you stay for 12 years? I have been doing this for 19 years in several different hospitals and have NEVER come across the abuse that you say you put up with for, again, 12 years! Did you ever contact the AVMA or any other authorities?I think its time for you to move on and let everyone here make their own decisions about the field without all the negativity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Star007

52 months ago

I was looking at the SJC program, and was thinking of signing up for summer, but it didn't say anything about how you get into a clinic for clinicals in tier 2. I have been having no luck getting even an interview as a vet assistant in the area(which is amazing considering somemof them hate animals!)Do they set you up with someone- I want to make sure I don't find myself without a way to take clinicals in tier 2. My personal vet is mobile, so would not qualify for clinicals...

Star007

52 months ago

Sunny Arizona in Mesa, Arizona said: Why on earth would you stay for 12 years? I have been doing this for 19 years in several different hospitals and have NEVER come across the abuse that you say you put up with for, again, 12 years! Did you ever contact the AVMA or any other authorities?I think its time for you to move on and let everyone here make their own decisions about the field without all the negativity.

I know a tech who has been working at a clinic where the owner/vet does not like animals. He is money motivated. She stays because she wants to rescue the animals that people come in with to get put down because they are allergic, or the cat isn't getting along with the dog, or they are moving.
It sucks being where she is, but she saves soo many lives!
She spends her own money to help sick stray animals that would otherwise be put down who are brought in by people who found them but don't have any money to pay for their treatment.
One in particular was a beautiful little boy found in the road with his eyes and nose crusted shut and sores. She stepped in and saved him. he is being adopted by his foster mom's daughter as soon as he is healthy.
We really need people like this who are willing to stick it out for the animals.
If there is animal ABUSE going on, I agree that something should be done, but aside from under-cover camera expose type work...
In this state we don't have an ASPCA, and the Humane Society and Animal Control tell you to call the police or the city for animal abuse and neglect. However Animal Control will warn you that these animals are given back unless the conditions are a health concern for human neighbors, etc. As long as they are being fed and given water, they can spend their lives in a cage and it's not neglect or abuse. It's very sad...
It can also be very hard to find employment right now. I spent a few months in a animal boarding facility where the animals were treated VERY poorly,and left. Not everyone can.

Star007

52 months ago

Star007 said: I was looking at the SJC program, and was thinking of signing up for summer, but it didn't say anything about how you get into a clinic for clinicals in tier 2. I have been having no luck getting even an interview as a vet assistant in the area(which is amazing considering somemof them hate animals!)Do they set you up with someone- I want to make sure I don't find myself without a way to take clinicals in tier 2. My personal vet is mobile, so would not qualify for clinicals...

I realize some asked almost this same question, ut I'd like to know what SJC does if you cannot find somewhere that will let you do clinicals...?
Penn foster said that they do help you if you need it...

Star007

52 months ago

Penn Foster students/graduates, I was told by them that the program is go at your own pace and depending on how much time you have, you can finish and graduate in under a year.
Is this true?
It is one of the main reasons I was considering them initially...

TinkerTease in Grand Rapids, Michigan

52 months ago

I am currently a student of SJC. I start my second tier this May. I have a clinic who will allow me to job shadow/intern. I haven't had to ask SJC for help, the main thing you need to do is talk to all the clinics in your area, explain to them what you need. I looked into PF and man, am I glad I went with SJC. With PF, from what I know, you take your exams at the end of the semester after your done with ALL of the classes you took. SJC is a very personal college even though it's online. What I've noticed is that if you write on your resume that you are a student, you have a better chance. I am currently interning at a very progressive clinic and have an interview for a paid position at an animal emergency hospital. It's all a matter of how many clinics you talk to and what information you can bring to them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Star007 said: I was looking at the SJC program, and was thinking of signing up for summer, but it didn't say anything about how you get into a clinic for clinicals in tier 2. I have been having no luck getting even an interview as a vet assistant in the area(which is amazing considering somemof them hate animals!)Do they set you up with someone- I want to make sure I don't find myself without a way to take clinicals in tier 2. My personal vet is mobile, so would not qualify for clinicals...

Hi Star007: I addressed this question in a post a few weeks ago (see above threads), but I'll give it to you here. I once had the same question about the clinicals, so I asked Dr. Wright directly, and here is the core of his answer:

- SJC VTDLP does not keep a list of potential OCCI facilities in part, due to confidentiality reasons, and the unpredictable employment situations. OCCI sites are traditionally veterinary practices; shelters, pounds, etc. may serve under certain conditions. A minimum of 10 hours per week is expected. You will need to find and obtain employment in a practice by the time you begin Tier 2 course work.

- Usually the best place to start is with your regular veterinarian or with practices near where you live. Be honest and let them know that you are looking for a long-term employment relationship and that you are willing to start at the bottom and work your way up. You will know the best environment for you and your goals.

- SJC staff are always willing to talk with prospective preceptors.

So, we students have to find our own OCCI preceptors (a mixed blessing). A good place to start is with the local vets, clinics, animal hospitals, shelters, SPCA, Humane Society, etc., in your area. One of my instructors recommended listing current education and courses taken on your resume so that prospective employers know you're serious about the field. And see TinkerTease's response above for a different perspective.

Star007

52 months ago

KAT the Dog Lover in Long Beach, California said:

So, we students have to find our own OCCI preceptors (a mixed blessing). A good place to start is with the local vets, clinics, animal hospitals, shelters, SPCA, Humane Society, etc., in your area. One of my instructors recommended listing current education and courses taken on your resume so that prospective employers know you're serious about the field. And see TinkerTease's response above for a different perspective.

I know... I saw too late that I had missed a page *_* Sorry!
I was hoping that someone who had gone there had gotten some help in finding a clinic,etc. We don't have any rescues(no aspca, all santuary type paces are far away in the middle of the country) with actual staff here, I have probably applied to every clinic in the area that doesn't have negligent techs & doctors, as well as the emergency places, and also asked if they take apprentices. it's ben a no because they don't get anything out of it basically and apprentices are a "liability".
It looks like SJC can't guarantee that I can even take the Tier 2 (epecially finding a place and having it approved 30 days prior!) so I'll have to look into another place...?

Jamiemarie

51 months ago

I'm a teacher interested in finding a second job/training and thinking about vet tech. I love Purdue's program but am looking at San Juan's progam. Can anyone give me pros and cons of each?

Charles Bronson in Broadview Heights, Ohio

48 months ago

There is a posting on here about Stautzenberger College and the person talks about a clinic that wont hire people that graduate from there because they dont do hands on training first of all im going to say this that person does not know what there talking about because they do tons of hands on schooling with lab hours one of things you do is learn how to perform certain types of surgerys and yes you do the surgerys yourself and this is a accredited program with the AVMA and i did tons of research on colleges to go to for my degree in Veterinary Technology and Stautzenberger is a good college for this degree. Keep in mind people two things you look for when you want a degree in this field the college is accredited and the program is accredited with the AVMA and Stautzenberger meets both that criteria.

48 months ago

It's nice to see so many people independently wealthy enough to pursue a degree in veterinary technology. You won't earn a living wage in the occupation. Not only is financial security from a secondary source necessary, but you will need to gird your loins to work @ most veterinary clinics. Or maybe masochists & bullies will just fit together to make staffs? From some of the posts, I can see that writing skills aren't necessary (Charles Bronson's run on rant). Of course, if you get an Associate Degree from Cuyahoga/Columbus State, you WILL need to take English courses, too. That's a real college degree w/transferable credits. No academic qualifications are necessary for Stauzenberger enrollment. & yes, there ARE clinics that WILL NOT HIRE Stauzenberger graduates. That's just a fact. Also consider as in most businesses in this economy, veterinary practice is losing $ since people can't keep their pets due to job & home loss.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

San Juan Student in Albany, New York

48 months ago

Wow Pebcle way to chop everyone on this forum down. I think most people know the pay is not the greatest in this field and I can't speak for everyone but I'm going to school and working in a clinic cuz I LOVE the job. Plus this is a forum not a grammar class. Who honestly cares if people put "cuz" "gonna" and any other slang or misspellings. Most clinics also don't care where you went to school they care if you are licensed. Everyone takes the same test so no matter where you go to school (as long as it's AVMA accredited) if you pass the test you are licensed. At my clinic we are seeing an increase in people right now so I dunno where you are getting practices are losing money. Maybe research some things next time before putting a rant up.

PS: Most VT schools require you to take prerequisite GE courses before enrolling in a VT program that might be why it is not on some schools course list.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

AZ Vet Tech in Chandler, Arizona

48 months ago

THANK YOU SAN JUAN STUDENT!!! My thoughts exactly!

Pebcle, we all know you hate this profession with a passion and it still gives you nightmares...but why stay on this forum and bring up all the bad feelings that you have? It doesnt make any sense to me. Also...ALL degree programs, whether online or brick and mortar, require English courses. If previous credits dont transfer over, then you take the class as you progress through the degree program.

One last thing. You mention in almost every one of your posts that the pay as a Vet Tech sucks. Just how much is needed to support a person or a family without having to get that second job? As a family of 6, my wages are supporting us just fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Prattville, Alabama

48 months ago

I am currently attending Penn Foster, and wish I had known going in about the all essay exams at the end of the semester, with no study guides. I feel like I have to memorize the entire anatomy and physiology book. In the PF Forums, A LOT of students are finding that the tests were even harder than they thought they would be. And there have been a lot of failures. I am so stressed because I don't do well with essay questions in general, so I know I will do bad and lose my A average.

So my question is, how do exams work at SJC? Do you need a proctor, and how many subjects are you tested on at one time? Open or closed book? Also is there a required amount of virtual classes you must attend?

Thanks to anyone who answers!!!

48 months ago

If you are not already a member of VSPN.org, go join and post your question directly to the forum for SJC. There is at least one of their instructors on there to answer questions specifically about their program.

KathyRVT

48 months ago

I'm the oldest working RVT in Kansas, and I still love my job, and yes, it helps pay the bills. I'm sorry that the one young lady is so burned out on veterinary medicine. I happen to work for a wonderful practice, with a progressive doctor that pays his employees the best he can. Am I rich? No. Am I famous? a little bit, locally, maybe. Did my husband and I, both working blue collar positions, manage to raise two kids, and put them thru college? Yes, we did. And we own our own farm, that in it's little way, is very successful.
I came here to check out opinions about on line colleges, as I'm going to be mentoring 3 students(from 2 different colleges). Interesting what every one has said; I appreciate the information.
Does anyone know if there is a place where you can actually see how many students do pass the Boards from each school?

KathyRVT

48 months ago

Pebcle's comments really bother me; how in the world did she stay in the same practice so long, with such a bitter attitude? We are about the same age; I went into this profession right out of high school. I've been in the same practice for over 30 years; same boss, various doctors thru the practice over that many years. I've learned from all of them, as they have learned from me. Our team is just that...a TEAM.
NO..it's not been all wine and roses, but we are still a team. My OM and I were laughing the other day about the one knock-down-dragout verbal fight we had some years ago...odd, how that brought us closer together, and made us both better people!
Am I ready to go part time? yes, I am, but that's because I've got my farm, and a part time on line position(in veterinary medicine) that I want to spend more time on. But to leave the profession? to leave my clients, and their pets? no way!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.