Discouraged, any vet techs out there with opinions ??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Sky0215 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

32 months ago

I am really stuck in the middle as of what to go to school for. My original path was to go to Vet tech school for 2 years and become a RVT. I love animals, and can see myself working with them and really enjoying my job. I've researched online and it scared me, it seems like vet techs are highly underpaid, barely making 25,000, hard to find work, and just hate the work? So i then i started to think about nursing school, because there seems to be nursing jobs everywhere. So i got my CNA cert just to get my feet wet. I hated clinicals, it made me realize maybe nursing isnt for me. So i wanted some vet tech opinions....is it really that bad?? I have a child and want to make a decent living for us. Any experiences anyone wants to share? I just feel discouraged because i want to have a career I love, but also don't want to be struggling, living paycheck to paycheck. Also, im in the louisiana area so anyone from here, input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

32 months ago

I would highly recommend that you contact the different veterinary technology degree programs available in Louisiana and ask them about the typical starting hourly rate of their graduates. The programs will keep track of that sort of information and it will help you to see what you can expect in your state. Also understand that pay is going to vary alot depending on what type of facility you work in. Single practitioner practices often pay less than larger practices. Rural practices also typically pay less than practices in larger communities/cities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sky0215 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

32 months ago

Im going to contact the director for the vet tech program at baton rouge community college. Hopefully i will find out some information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Remember too that it's the unhappy people that are going to make the biggest fuss about anything so you will see alot more "I hate my job" posts from veterinary technicians than "I love my job" posts. Just like people don't ever post "yep, dog got his shots today and everything went fine", they only post when the dog has a bad reatction. ;)

I know lots and lots of veterinary technicians who absolutely love their job, get paid more than $25K a year and are excited to improve the profession. I've been doing this for more than 20 years and couldn't imagine doing anything else. There are so many more options for people who have a degree in veterinary technology these days. You can work in general practice, but you can also specialize and work in specialty practices where the quality of medicine is advanced, work in medical research facilities, zoos, research and development in pet food and other other pet industries, work as reps for the drug or pet food companies, work in veterinary teaching hospitals like A&M university, get into the continuing education lecture circuit and speak at veterinary conferences around the country, etc etc.

It's all a matter of the job is going to be exactly what you put into it and how much you do to choose the right work environment for yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LRoss in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

32 months ago

Let me know what your find! I'm from Louisiana as well. I brought my dog to the vet the other day and asked the receptionist if I could speak to the vet tech. She said she was the vet tech, never went to school for it, and pretty much just restrained the animals. I plan to go to some other facilities/shelters and see if they have any vet techs working for them.

32 months ago

This receptionist is not a vet tech and you should point that out to her. She is a receptionist or vet assistant. If she presents herself as a veterinary technician, she is opening herself up to legal action.

In Louisiana you must be licensed to work as a veterinary technician. www.lsbvm.org/app_veterinary_technicians.htm
www.lsbvm.org/law2011.pdf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dora in Shreveport, Louisiana

24 months ago

Sky0215 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: I am really stuck in the middle as of what to go to school for. My original path was to go to Vet tech school for 2 years and become a RVT. I love animals, and can see myself working with them and really enjoying my job. I've researched online and it scared me, it seems like vet techs are highly underpaid, barely making 25,000, hard to find work, and just hate the work? So i then i started to think about nursing school, because there seems to be nursing jobs everywhere. So i got my CNA cert just to get my feet wet. I hated clinicals, it made me realize maybe nursing isnt for me. So i wanted some vet tech opinions....is it really that bad?? I have a child and want to make a decent living for us. Any experiences anyone wants to share? I just feel discouraged because i want to have a career I love, but also don't want to be struggling, living paycheck to paycheck. Also, im in the louisiana area so anyone from here, input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys

I live in Louisiana and hear in SHreveport La one can live well on $ 25000 dollars. My income right now is way bellow that and I am happy and do plan to be a vet tech. I dont know what part of Louisiana you are from but I herd Baton Rouge is a very expensive place due to the college and all Hay you can always relocate. If helping animals is your passion go for it and dont let money stop you Budgeting works wonders

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.