Is pay improving at all for Vet Techs?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Brianna in Miramar Beach, Florida

40 months ago

Hello. My name is Brianna, and I'm a Senior in High School. I'm thinking about going to college to be a Vet Tech. Honestly, it's the only job I can see myself doing. I love animals, I love the medical field, and I love to stay busy. I actually have some personal experience with handling sick animals and treating them (Specifically: Ear cleaning, eye cleaning/treating, claw clipping, giving liquid vitamins and flea/heartworm treatments for 15+ cats in a few hours with the help of one other person).

Long introduction, sorry.
Anyway, is pay improving at all for Vet Techs? Or do you see any changes being made that may improve their pay in the future?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

39 months ago

Pay is low in Florida because there are no legal requirements for veterinarians to have educated, credentialed technicians. When that changes, then the pay rate for credentialed technicians will likely increase but it will take veterinary technicians getting involved and pushing for changes in state legislation.

Pay in other states where veterinary technicians are required to be licensed is higher than in states where technicians aren't required to be credentialed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Christy in Manhattan, Kansas

38 months ago

I've been a vet tech for 10 years. I love my job but I'm seriously looking into other careers. I'm probably one of the more highly paid techs in my state at about $30,000 a year with great benefits but now that my husband and I want to start a family it's just not feasible anymore. All I've been hearing since I started on this career path is how salaries keep going up. And it's true, over all they have. However it's not been enough for me and a lot of other techs. I personally could handle the low pay when I was single but now that I'm married and looking to add the costs of daycare, medical costs and other assorted baby expenses, not so much...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.