Starting school at age 55...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Moos in Oxford, New York

32 months ago

I would like to know if anyone else has pursued this in their fifties as I am goiong to. I have raised beef for the past 15 years and have done much of what a large animal tech would do and have decided that this is the path I now choose to take.If I was 10 years younger the choice would be vet school,but this is what I have chosen. Anyone else start out at this age..and as far as being strong enough to lift, etc. been doing that for awhile now so no problems there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Keith in Manchester, Tennessee

32 months ago

Do not take out a student loan or it will be the biggest regrets of life. I am 56 and facing age and credit bureau discrimination and you will find the same issues when trying to get a job. Do not believe all of the lies from the schools. Find a way to get a trade where you will not have a issue with age discrimination etc.

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

32 months ago

Age will likely be an issue, especially if you are looking to work in equine or herd animal medicine. But for small animal work age is much less of an issue.

I've seen people go into this profession in their 50's and be quite happy but it's really something you should look into before you enroll in school. Volunteer or shadow a veterinary technician for a couple of weeks and really see what the work is like as well as talk about pay and benefits. As someone getting older, health issues are going to become more of a concern and many many veterinary practices simply aren't large enough to offer competitive benefits in the health insurance area.

Moos in Clermont, Florida

22 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: Age will likely be an issue, especially if you are looking to work in equine or herd animal medicine. But for small animal work age is much less of an issue.

I've seen people go into this profession in their 50's and be quite happy but it's really something you should look into before you enroll in school. Volunteer or shadow a veterinary technician for a couple of weeks and really see what the work is like as well as talk about pay and benefits. As someone getting older, health issues are going to become more of a concern and many many veterinary practices simply aren't large enough to offer competitive benefits in the health insurance area.

I have volunteered at animal shelters and have worked with a Vet on cattle for years, as I said before I guess I was simply looking to see if there were any others out there who found this to be an issue. I find that 55 sounds old til you get there and are as healthy as I am with no health issues whatsoever.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.