VTNE ( Boards Exam)

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

Meghan26 in Torrance, California

62 months ago

Hi Kasey. I graduated with a BA in animal health and then took my RVT test. I used the "Review question and answers for vet tech" by Thomas P. Colville. I literally studied that book front to back twice before taking the test. There are many questions in the book that are similar but just asked differently. Most of those were on the test. I wrote down my answers and found that was helpful too. All my friends that took and passed the test used that book to study. Hopefully this helps. Good luck with your test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

SarahB_LVT in Temple, Texas

61 months ago

Your State Boards?
Or the National Exam?
I just recently moved to a new state (Texas) and had to take the Texas state exam in order to be registered here and I went to the State website for vet techs and they had a whole study guide for it online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Laura, RVT in Fort Wayne, Indiana

61 months ago

If you're talking about the VTNE, then study anything and everything. I read books, used the CD's from the books I had, did the questions in the questions/answers VTNE book I had, I went over old notes. I did everything. And I passed. :) 534 out of 425. So it definitely pays off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bobby in Port Orchard, Washington

59 months ago

I am studying for the exam and I am stuck between which resources to use. The CD is very helpful for me and I learn quicker but none of those questions are in the Review Questions and Answers book. Please let me know which tool you found more helpful!!! I'd really appreciate it!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Laura, RVT in Fort Wayne, Indiana

59 months ago

Bobby in Port Orchard, Washington said: I am studying for the exam and I am stuck between which resources to use. The CD is very helpful for me and I learn quicker but none of those questions are in the Review Questions and Answers book. Please let me know which tool you found more helpful!!! I'd really appreciate it!!!

Just cause those questions aren't in the book doesn't mean they can't still be asked. Just read everything.. the books, old notes, study the CD's, etc. I don't believe you can study too much when it comes to the VTNE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kimberly in Omak, Washington

57 months ago

Hello everyone,
Im taking the VTNE in June. I only have one chance to pass as im doing it through the grandfather claus which ends this year in Wa state. Ive been studying for hours on end! Without schooling (even with my 9 years of on the job experience) Im having a hard time. I was hoping to get info on the best books to study and the major things to focus on. I have Mosby's Comprehensive Review 3 edition. The review questions are very difficlut. Are the questions on the actual test simular? Any advice will help=)

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

57 months ago

Mosby's Comprehensive Review is about the best text you are going to find for the VTNE. There are also some review courses offered through VSPN that you can take that may be helpful because they are scheduled and easier than sitting and digging through a book.

This is exactly why the owners of the VTNE are doing away with grandfathering in any state after this year---even with years of on-the-job training there is so much that just generally doesn't get covered in your training unless you go through a more formal education. I worked OTJ for several years as well and I wouldn't have passed the VTNE without having gone to school and I was very lucky to be in a clinic where training and learning was really stressed.

CaraRVT in Atlanta, Georgia

51 months ago

Study, study, study. The Mosby and the question and answers for vet techs are great. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't pass as a non-schooled tech. Myself and 6 other techs I know, non-schooled passed with flying colors. Just study, I made flash cards from the books as well. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

LoriDVM in Glendale, Arizona

51 months ago

Any tech who has taken or will take the VTNE at any point in the future PLEASE fill out this survey about studying for the VTNE. It takes less than 1 minute to answer and will help me so much! Thanks! Good luck on your exams! Click on the link or paste to your browser. Lori
www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22AYLVBQ9MK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tvmLVT

45 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: Mosby's Comprehensive Review is about the best text you are going to find for the VTNE. There are also some review courses offered through VSPN that you can take that may be helpful because they are scheduled and easier than sitting and digging through a book.

This is exactly why the owners of the VTNE are doing away with grandfathering in any state after this year---even with years of on-the-job training there is so much that just generally doesn't get covered in your training unless you go through a more formal education. I worked OTJ for several years as well and I wouldn't have passed the VTNE without having gone to school and I was very lucky to be in a clinic where training and learning was really stressed.

I worked in general practice for only 2 years and then moved on to the veterinary dermatology field for over 9 years before I took and passed the exam in GA on my first try with only minimal hours of studying. While the test IS difficult, it DOES NOT require a so-called "formal education" to pass. There were MANY people there that had been to a 2 year school and were on their 2nd and 3rd attempts. I do agree that Mosby's review was the best resource, Tracey, LVT

shannon in Little Falls, Minnesota

42 months ago

Well I am styding the comprehensive review by Mosby and plan to do the review questions and answers,,,,, do you think those 2 will help. I am looking to take the boards begining of next year

loridvm in Glendale, Arizona

35 months ago

In regards to the above comments, VetTechPrep was specifically designed for vet techs or students studying for their VTNE. The feedback has been astounding and the program is being used and recommended by many of the schools. Please see the testimonials at www.vettechprep.com/blog/?p=221
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Andy in San Diego, California

35 months ago

loridvm in Glendale, Arizona said: In regards to the above comments, VetTechPrep was specifically designed for vet techs or students studying for their VTNE. The feedback has been astounding and the program is being used and recommended by many of the schools. Please see the testimonials at www.vettechprep.com/blog/?p=221
Good luck!

Perhaps, but check out vetprep.com and you will see for yourself...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

loridvm in Glendale, Arizona said: In regards to the above comments, VetTechPrep was specifically designed for vet techs or students studying for their VTNE. The feedback has been astounding and the program is being used and recommended by many of the schools. Please see the testimonials at www.vettechprep.com/blog/?p=221
Good luck!

Hey, it just dawned on me that you work for them - how many schools use this program at over hundreds bucks? That feedback you gave me is only a couple students and it is all positive - where is the negative. Are you there marketer? Anyways, good luck to you! These forums are for genuine people.

35 months ago

Actually, I just do some consulting for them. It has been very exciting to be a part of what they are doing though. They actually only had 1 "suggestion" about changing a feature of how our missed questions are rotated. That was the only negative feedback so far in the survey, and it really wasn't even negative! For the July/August test takers we had over 160, and even more for this term. FYI, I am a genuine person :) I am in clinical practice and have a lot of technician friends. I really care about the profession and about seeing our techs at work and our users succeed. And no, I am not a marketer, I am a veterinarian and a mom who does some consulting and loves being a part of the education side of things too. Good luck to you as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

Also, for those that are interested in finding about ALL good resources and not trying to be negative towards certain programs (which they obviously know nothing about), go to www.aavsb.org (this is where you sign up to take the VTNE). You can click on VTNE, and then "How to Study" , and there is a list of great resources that have been approved, evaluated, and recomended by the AVTE (Association of Veterinary Technician Educators). It includes VetTechPrep.com but also lists many other great resources and books which you may find helpful. This is about passing the exam and gathering information, not for attacking certain programs. Thank you and happy studying!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Willard in Glen Burnie, Maryland

35 months ago

Andy in San Diego, California said: Hey, it just dawned on me that you work for them - how many schools use this program at over hundreds bucks? That feedback you gave me is only a couple students and it is all positive - where is the negative. Are you there marketer? Anyways, good luck to you! These forums are for genuine people.

You aren't a web guru, but you on the right track. I'm a vet tech student and the webmaster for our accredited school. We are trying to post information and we can't because these "real" folk post their advertising and make it difficult for our schools VTNE literature to be posted. Buddy, read up on SEO and stop replying to her. She is only going to use this place to post nothing but good things to grow that precious 160 students to the thousands that we are. We don't have time for this. Ditto on the AAVSB post. Lady, get a real job…

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

I've reported you to the website. Enough of your advertising.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

loridvm in Glendale, Arizona said: Also, for those that are interested in finding about ALL good resources and not trying to be negative towards certain programs (which they obviously know nothing about), go to www.aavsb.org (this is where you sign up to take the VTNE). You can click on VTNE, and then "How to Study" , and there is a list of great resources that have been approved, evaluated, and recomended by the AVTE (Association of Veterinary Technician Educators). It includes VetTechPrep.com but also lists many other great resources and books which you may find helpful. This is about passing the exam and gathering information, not for attacking certain programs. Thank you and happy studying!!

Wow!!!

Will@sadie in Glen Burnie, Maryland

35 months ago

Will you answer your own question, too?? Seriously, this thread is bust.

34 months ago

@sadie - No, of course not, but after reading all this I will not recommend anything to anyone anymore!! LOL! You need to evaluate every program out there and then see what fits with your soul. Sounds like you have a hard time with tests, so figure out what worked in the past (like SATs and such) and go for it. Maybe ask your friends to help you by forming a study group. I I actually used 3 study tools cause I didn't want to drop the money for the test again. There are also actual VTNE review classes - I took one at a community college when I lived in Salt Lake. And remember, its okay to fail, it's what we do afterward that counts! Best of luck.

34 months ago

Sadie,
There are several review options out there including Mosby's book and then programs that you can do online to help you review. My recommendation would be the review course on VSPN.org. They use the Mosby's review text so you would already have the book you need, but then they have set course times which will help you to actually sit down and study and help you to cover all of the materials in an orderly fashion so that you don't skip important material.

I do have to wonder why you (and Andy) are even taking the VTNE as it's not a requirement for registration as a vet tech in California. I'm not saying that it isn't a good idea because you may very well move out of CA some day and then you would most likely have to have a passing score on the VTNE to work as a veterinary technician in whatever state you moved to, but I just wondered why you chose to spend the money on it when it's not required where you are.

California's veterinary licensing board has it's own "RVT Exam" that is what you must pass in that state to become a licensed veterinary technician. (Yes, it is a license though they are titled RVTs.) www.vmb.ca.gov/forms_pubs/rvt_instruction.pdf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

@Cindy in Fremont, California

34 months ago

For those right out of school it makes sense in my opinion to have it under your belt.

Also, for bragging rights and salary negotiations ;)

34 months ago

I just wondered if they understood that they don't have to take it.

Typically I recommend that people take it as soon as they finish school because that is when you are most likely to pass it and if you ever do move out of California you will have to take it if you want to be licensed in the other 30+ states that license technicians.

sadietech00 in Los Angeles, California

34 months ago

Hi! Sorry for the delay. I was out of town. I really like the idea of taking a local review course and will see how much it costs. I will check into it. I don't have to be registered here. But at my work there are techs getting hired and making more than me because they are, even though I have a higher skill level which is a little frustrating. I want to make as much as they are and also my parents are on me to follow throug and take the test again. Thanks everyone for the input and the ideas. Happy HOlidays.

34 months ago

If you are in California, you do have to be registered to work as a veterinary technician. You can't use the title of "veterinary technician" unless you are registered and there is legal differentiation between the tasks that can be performed by an RVT vs. a veterinary assistant (which is the correct term for anyone in CA not registered as a veterinary technician but assisting a vet or RVT).

www.vmb.ca.gov/laws_regs/rvttasks.shtml

"a) “Veterinarian” means a California licensed veterinarian.

(b) “R.V.T.” means a registered veterinary technician certified by the Board.

(c) “Unregistered assistant” means any individual who is not an R.V.T. or a licensed veterinarian.

(d) “Supervisor” means a California licensed veterinarian or if a job task so provides an R.V.T."
--Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 16. Professional and Vocational Regulations
Division 20. Veterinary Medical Board
Article 4. Practice (Refs & Annos)
§ 2034. Animal Health Care Tasks Definitions.

LeonaG in Denver, Colorado

29 months ago

SarahB_LVT in Temple, Texas said: Your State Boards?
Or the National Exam?
I just recently moved to a new state (Texas) and had to take the Texas state exam in order to be registered here and I went to the State website for vet techs and they had a whole study guide for it online.

Hi! Do you recall the website you visited? I'm in veterinary technician school (Colorado) preparing to take the vtne in Texas after I graduate. (September)

29 months ago

For information on becoming an RVT in Texas, you go to the Texas Veterinary Medical Association's website:
www.tvma.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=12 The state exam study guide is on the right hand side of the page.

If you have any questions about becoming an RVT in Texas, please feel free to contact me.

Cindy D., RVT
cindyd@tarvt.org
Board Advisor
Texas Assoc. of Registered Veterinary Technicians

Meig in Spring Grove, Illinois

27 months ago

I wanted to put in an endorsement for vettechprep.com and I am NOT affiliated with them in any way. I just found out about the website from another fellow student who was also studying for her VTNE. I think it is a fabulous website and very useful when studying. I took my VTNE last week and passed it (first try), so I'd say it helped me. It's a very good review of stuff you learn in school, and worth the $99 that is costs right now. The Power Pages it offers are awesome as well.

Good luck to everyone taking their VTNE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Corry

6 months ago

Good luck!

I used VetTechPrep and I swear by it!! I really only used that site because I'm absolutely helpless with book studying, and the site was really interactive. I paid the $120 and I feel it was steep but completely worth it. I ended up passing with a 562 over the 425 and a 112 over the 90. Not sure what that makes my percentage, but despite my curiosity I'm just really happy I passed and it really was all because of that site and all of the worksheets that came with it that you can print off and continue to use.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.