Vet Tech Institute

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

RogueExtance in La Porte, Texas

40 months ago

I was wondering if I could get anyone's opinion on VTI? Pros and cons. Be honest! I am considering on enrolling there for their October class. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

40 months ago

VTI in Houston would not be my first choice for a vet tech degree. If you are close to VTI you are reasonably close to Tomball and Lonestar College and that program is a much better choice.

RogueExtance in La Porte, Texas

40 months ago

I have looked into Lonestar but some of their pre-req classes I am not confident I could do. They only offer their VT program in Kingwood if I looked correctly. I may be wrong. May I ask what has made you say that VTI would not be a first choice?

40 months ago

I have not been really impressed by VTI students that I have run into.

Lone Star College has the best VTNE pass rate of any school accredited by the AVMA and I personally know grads of that program and am impressed by their knowledge, skill and professionalism.

Lone Star's vet tech program is taught in Tomball. (I'm very sure of this as I will be going there in a couple of weeks to tour the facilities.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

whitney in Madison, Mississippi

29 months ago

yea, what RogueExtance said i was thinking bout going there to when i get out of job corps.

Jordan in Cocoa, Florida

11 months ago

Hello Rogue and Cindy!

Cindy I read another website where you offered information about VTI. So I suppose it isn't a great place to consider? I was considering the location in Pittsburgh, however, I would like to have the best degree possible. I was considering VTI because it seemed geared toward someone like me who does not have a science background (I have two degrees in History).

I just was curious if you had any advice for the location in Pittsburgh, or if it is best to just steer clear of VTI! Thanks!

Best wishes,

Jordan

11 months ago

I don't think that you have to have a heavy science background for many of the vet tech programs and if you think that you might want to further you education down the road and earn a bachelors degree you should probably steer clear of VTI because their credits are not likely to transfer. (Unless the one you plan to attend is accredited through the regional board of higher education.)

Not all VTI programs are the same and in fact they all can change dramatically depending on who is teaching for them each semester. I'm more impressed with VTI Houston than I was 2 years ago. So you really need to talk to some of the people who have hired students from the VTI program you are interested in. You can ask VTI to put you in touch with clinics that have hired their grads.

LindseyM81 in Houston, Texas

11 months ago

Cindy -- I've read a lot of your comments on here and give you props because you seem to know your stuff!! I was hoping that you could give me some information regarding your thoughts/experience with the Vet Tech Institute of Houston & what their bad reputation is -- I am 32 years old, no college whatsoever but I AM smart & dedicated -- had I attended college straight out of High School, I would have just screwed it up & not taken it seriously. I have done Accounts Receivable for the past 14 years & I am bored to tears. Despite hearing about the crappy pay/benefits & "back breaking work" of a vet tech, my passion is animals -- my husband & I currently have 20 dogs (plus 4 cats) that we have rescued, that were strays dumped off like trash, close to death, sickly & malnourished, that we have since rehabilitated & gotten them proper vet care. Now that I am older, I am ready to take on my education full force & devote all of my time to learning as much as possible & studying hard to strive to excel & maintain good grades -- my plan is to quit my full time job of 4 years to attend VTI full time. I am aware of the tuition & aware that it is an accelerated program & very fast paced. Lone Star College in Tomball is over 60 miles away from my home, as I live in the country outside of Houston, & being my husband will be the sole provider while I'm in school, I just can't afford the gas & wear & tear on my vehicle, traveling that far daily. I visited VTI yesterday & everything seemed "legit" but I am leery because I can't find any info online about them -- suggestions????? I just don't want to bust my rear to earn a degree then be the laughing stock when I present the degree to a future employer. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

11 months ago

As I have said, I have a better opinion of VTI Houston now. One of their instructors (Lori VanValkenburg) is the incoming president of the Texas Assoc. of Registered Veterinary Technicians and also writes questions for the Veterinary Technician National Exam. (I know because I have been on the TARVT board for the last 7+ years.)

That being said, if you think you might want to continue your education after you complete the initial AVMA accredited veterinary technology program then you need to consider taking on that 60 mile drive to Tomball or looking into one of the distance education programs that are AVMA accredited and offered by a community college instead. VTI is not accredited by the regional group that accredited institutions of higher learning, so their program credits will not transfer to any school.

So, if you are sure you will only every need the basic program then go ahead with VTI. But if you think that you might want to move into a position that could require a bachelors degree in veterinary technology like teaching or for some of the major companies that make products related to veterinary practice (better pay and benefits typically), then you should look into your other options.

SarahRVT in Houston, Texas

11 months ago

VTI Houston *IS* 100% accredited by the AVMA, and IMO is a better program than Lone Star Tomball. I lived less than 0.1 mile from Lone Star Tomball, and chose to make the drive in to VTI Houston, graduated two years ago at the top of my class, and have a fantastic job in the med center (Houston) now.

11 months ago

Additionally, I know several students who transferred from VTI Houston to Texas A&M University in College Station, and their credits DID transfer. I also spoke to A&M (I'm an alumnus there), and they were willing to transfer my VTI degree, as well.

LindseyM81 in Paige, Texas

11 months ago

Thank you Cindy & Sarah for your response -- I appreciate your thoughts & input. I basically found it quite odd that I couldn't find any info online for VTI, especially after Googl'ing pretty much every veterinary program/college in Texas & found what I was looking for. Things seemed legit when I visited VTI, but after seeing what other places require for you to get in compared to a HS diploma/GED, it left me with an uneasy feeling. I have even reached out to strangers on VTI's fb page with no response. I've even been in contact directly with TARVT. With that being said, I am going a different route -- starting from scratch & working my way up. It may take me a while longer but I'm ok with that. The route I have chosen is more fitting for the plan I have for the future.

11 months ago

LindseyM81 in Paige, Texas said: Thank you Cindy & Sarah for your response -- I appreciate your thoughts & input. I basically found it quite odd that I couldn't find any info online for VTI, especially after Googl'ing pretty much every veterinary program/college in Texas & found what I was looking for. Things seemed legit when I visited VTI, but after seeing what other places require for you to get in compared to a HS diploma/GED, it left me with an uneasy feeling. I have even reached out to strangers on VTI's fb page with no response. I've even been in contact directly with TARVT. With that being said, I am going a different route -- starting from scratch & working my way up. It may take me a while longer but I'm ok with that. The route I have chosen is more fitting for the plan I have for the future.

Lindsey,
You can't just work your way up. Starting this year veterinary technicians in Texas are licensed by the state and are required to have completed an AVMA accredited veterinary technology program. www.tbvme.state.tx.us/lvt.php

Who did you speak to with TARVT? I'm betting David or Marisa?
The reason most schools require more than a GED or diploma is because they have their own animals and facilities for hands-on training and must meet set standards for the number of students vs. the number of animals. VTI doesn't keep it's own animals so they don't have to worry about meeting those requirements.

11 months ago

What I meant by "working my way up" was that since I have NO prior college & being out of HS for 15 years, rather than just throw myself into an 18 month program blind, I'm going to start off taking some "basics" either thru WCJC or HCC -- I haven't met with a counselor yet but before I decide, I want to be 200% sure anything I do at either will transfer over. From there, I'd like to go ahead with the vet tech program either thru Lone Star or Blinn. From there, I am undecided but I do know my long term goal is like you said, to specialize in "something" & earn my Bachelor's -- my passion is rescue so I'm going to do what I need to do to learn all there is to know bc I would like to eventually open a legit no-kill rescue for my area. The only option available to ppl where I live is the pound, which 98% of the time is full until some are euthanized to make room for others. Or, ppl can drive into Houston to the SPCA & that's IF they're accepting animals at that time -- with limited options, ppl turn to dumping, which is how I've ended up with 20 dogs. That was my error -- it wasn't TARVT -- I was emailing back & forth with a lady from AVMA in regards to receiving guidance about VTI & which path I should take.

11 months ago

Cindy, I don't understand where you get your information, VTI absolutely keeps their own animals. At the time I was there, we had 120 animals on site: dogs, cats, rats, rabbits, and farm animals a few minutes off site (goats, horses, pigs). I haven't joined TARVT mostly because of your vitriolic and misinformed statements about VTI that I've followed here and on other forums all these years. I saw you last year at the Vet Tech conference for CE at TAMU and your TARVT booth, but I just find your comments so off putting, that I haven't been inclined to join TARVT unfortunately. You mentioned Ms. V at VTI, and indeed she is a fantastic instructor, as are all the other instructors and vets at VTI. I was the first extern taken at my place of employment, I was promptly hired, and since taking me (in 2011) they have had at least one and usually two externs here where I work every semester, and have hired most of those externs as we've had openings. I just hate that you are soo off putting to potential students. I have fwd'd comments from you to VTI that I've seen on other forums, but haven't ever spoken up myself until now, but I think it's a shame that you aren't more supportive of all the AVMA accredited programs in the state of Texas. I think each program has its pros and cons and maybe one program or another might suit better certain styles of learning. I am an extremely satisfied 2011 VTI grad, and I choose to defend against the statements (some of them misinformed and wrong) regarding VTI. When you tour Lone Star, maybe you should make the short 25 mile trip south and tour VTI at the same time. I would be more than happy to place you in touch with VTI's director. Thank you, Sarah

11 months ago

Sarah, I will agree with you here -- I DID visit VTI & saw their in house kennel -- the dogs, the cats, & the rabbits. I spoke with & toured with Mike. He also informed me that VTI gets their animals from the Houston SPCA & once they are rehabilitated, they are adopted out, which I think is wonderful!!

11 months ago

LindseyM81 in Paige, Texas said: Sarah, I will agree with you here -- I DID visit VTI & saw their in house kennel -- the dogs, the cats, & the rabbits. I spoke with & toured with Mike. He also informed me that VTI gets their animals from the Houston SPCA & once they are rehabilitated, they are adopted out, which I think is wonderful!!

Would you mind sharing where you work?

11 months ago

Lindsey, First of all, GREAT luck to you on your vet tech journey! As much as I defend VTI, I do have to say that if the resources were available then that are now (specifically Blinn), then I would have gone that route because I'm already an Aggie. I was kind of sad when TAMU started a program right as I was graduating VTI, but it's OK, as I've mentioned, I was really happy with VTI. Cindy is full of SUPER helpful advice for the most part and is a great resource on becoming an RVT (this year in TX it's changing to LVT), and TARVT is a great organization. Also, as to Lone Star's VTNE pass rate, I think it's important to share numbers. Lone Star only accepts a SMALL amount of students each session, one year they only graduated 5 people, other years 9, it's VERY small, whereas VTI accepts HUGE classes. My class had 120 people in it, and we graduated 55 people which is a fairly typical number. My favorite thing about VTI was the quirky instructors, who teach with humor and encouragement. I have attended several different universities and colleges, and I do have to say, VTI's instructors were hands down my favorite, and they were FANTASTIC at helping me land my awesome position with Texas Heart Institute where I have worked for almost three years now. My vet whose supervision I work under has never been anything other than respectful and impressed with my VTI degree, I passed my VTNE with flying colors, and the director at VTI sat on our IACUC board for a time, so my school and my place of work have developed a great collaborative relationship, which I think is great. We JUST hired in yet another tech who is graduating from VTI (her hire date is 1/6/14) and she is an asset and very knowledgeable. Hey, if I can help you in any way at all, please let me know and we can talk outside of here too. Always happy to help. Take care, Sarah

11 months ago

Lindsey, I am at Texas Heart Institute and you can reach me at sbeathard AT texasheart DOT org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

11 months ago

Sarah,

I'm sorry, you are right I misspoke about them not keeping animals. I am also sorry that you think my comments about VTI are vitriolic. Please remember that reading can lead to mistakes in intent. In previous years I had quite a few concerns about VTI. It was after all the first for-profit school in the state and I had contact with students and employers of student who gave a less than stellar impression of the program. It would have been foolish for me not to initially question the quality of the program when I had more than one employer come to me and state that the would no longer hire anyone from VTI due to their experiences with students. Lori V and students I have met since have changed my attitude about VTI, though I still don't feel that it is generally the best choice of schools for everyone or even most people. I have spent quite a lot of time talking to Lori about the program as we tend to share a room when we go to conferences and the majority of my change in attitude has to do with her dedication to the profession.

So yes I misspoke about VTI keeping animals and they do typically have more than a community college program.VTI has the option to keep more animals because they are a for-profit entity and not a community college where money is more restricted. That also means that they can take on more students.

But class size and how fast you can get through a program are not the be-all end-all of deciding on a program. Enrolling students need to look at their long-term plans because their choice of initial program may derail goals if the program doesn't fit their overall needs. For instance, someone looking to attain a bachelors degree should check for accreditation by the regional higher education board as I have mentioned. Someone who is more concerned with the overall cost of the degree should look at in-state community colleges, etc. It's not a one-size fits all world. I try to look at the big picture.

LindseyM81 in Texas

11 months ago

I emailed Mike, the director of VTI, to cancel my admissions application. I asked in the email if I went there, if my credits would transfer -- he replied that there is some federal law in place that won't allow him to answer that question......

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.