How can i start my own vet clinic

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Big H in Houston, Texas

47 months ago

i'm thinking about going to school to be a veternary technician,but i don't want to work for nobody want to start my own clinic or animal shelter when i finish school.if you work for somebody ,you'll will only make like $8.50-$14/hr.the only way you'll make alot of money being a vet tech is opening up you own clinic and buing the equipment to do work on the animals.i thinking maybe go to school for a year or 2 to get my certificate or associates degree and then go back 1 more year to get my certicate in business management.can any one give me some advice/tips?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Animal Lover in Olathe, Kansas

38 months ago

It is very illegal I am currently a vet medicine student You MUST attend school for 8+ years and do all of the required work to get the pay you desire. Vet's go through alot of schooling to get to their goals a tech cannot expect to do the same...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

36 months ago

Note, I am in the same state that he is in. And in fact, I have some experience with this as I was in the first clinic that VCA bought in Texas. VCA isn't owned by veterinarians so they couldn't actually purchase the veterinary practices. They own the facilities, but the practice is owned by a veterinary corporation here in Texas run by an old boss of mine.

" (a) The professional services of a veterinarian may not be controlled or exploited by a person who:
(1) is not a veterinarian; and
(2) intervenes between the veterinarian and the veterinarian's client.
(b) A veterinarian may not:
(1) allow a person who does not hold a license issued under this chapter to interfere with or intervene in the
veterinarian's practice of veterinary medicine; or
(2) submit to interference or intervention by a person who does not hold a license issued under this chapter."

"(a) The practice of a veterinarian who leases space from a mercantile establishment and practices veterinary medicine
on the premises of the mercantile establishment must be owned by a veterinarian. The practice and the leased space
must be under the exclusive control of a veterinarian."

PROHIBITED PRACTICES RELATING TO CERTAIN ENTITIES.
(a) A sole proprietorship, partnership, or corporation may not engage in veterinary medicine unless the owner, each
partner, or each shareholder, as appropriate, holds a license issued under this chapter.
(b) A corporation, organization, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, or other legal entity not owned
exclusively by one or more persons licensed under this chapter may not engage in veterinary medicine.
(c) A veterinarian may not form or continue a partnership with a member of another profession or a person who is not
a member of a profession if a part of the partnership employment consists of the practice of veterinary medicine.

All from the Texas Veterinary Practice Act:
www.tbvme.state.tx.us/documents/vetact/Vet%20Act.pd

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

BrittneyCVPM ("Get over yourself") in Boca Raton, Florida

36 months ago

Posting the Texas law was very helpful. That is why I said to check the laws.

If someone wants their dreams enough, they will do whatever it takes to make them come true. This includes moving to a state that allows non-veterinary ownership.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Lauren in Exeter, New Hampshire

18 months ago

There is nothing illegal about a Veterinary Technician starting their own practice, as long as they have a veterinary doctor working with them as a co-owner. And I think that comment about how "vets go through so much schooling that a tech cannot expect do the same" is very arrogant. What makes you better then the vet techs? When you do become a veterinarian I hope you realize that you wouldn't be able to function without the help of techs. I have a learning disability and no one ever believed in me that I could go to college and make something of my life, and yet here I am proving everyone who doubted me wrong. I hope you have a better bedside manner with your patients owners then you do on here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

18 months ago

Lauren,
Whether it is illegal or not depends on the state you are in. Most states do not allow veterinary technicians to own a practice even if they employ a veterinarian.
The original poster is in Texas and it is indeed illegal in this state.
As for it being an arrogant statement that vets go through more schooling and therefor have more options is complete bunk. Vets do go to school for much longer than technicians and they do therefore have more legal rights as to what types of roles that can play in a veterinary practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Milfer in Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey

9 months ago

Big H in Houston, Texas said: i'm thinking about going to school to be a veternary technician,but i don't want to work for nobody want to start my own clinic or animal shelter when i finish school.if you work for somebody ,you'll will only make like $8.50-$14/ hr .the only way you'll make alot of money being a vet tech is opening up you own clinic and buing the equipment to do work on the animals.i thinking maybe go to school for a year or 2 to get my certificate or associates degree and then go back 1 more year to get my certicate in business management.can any one give me some advice/tips?

You MUST go to school for 8+ years to be able to operate on animals in ur state. U can only do the very basic tasks as a vet technician..(check heart rate, paperwork, etc.) like a nurse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

eagertofly in Antrim, United Kingdom

9 months ago

Funny enough some expierence in this subject. Vets go through 8 plus sometimes 9 years and upwards depending on undergrad and placements. It is not uncommon to have to do another undergrad year waiting to get in to a Vet School. Anyway Vet Techs are wonderful god bless Vet Techs and Vet Assistants and anyone who is involved and god bless Vet Office Managers as well while I am at it. Anyway it can be done but study your state laws and also think carefully, if you have the attitude that you do not want to work for someone else to learn from their successes and failures why is that?. I am always weary about people who say that. It is the same with Animal trainers/horse riding instructors. The best way to learn is to work for others and learn and study and hoan ones craft. Anyway good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.