the good, the bad, and the ugly

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Ally in Bossier City, Louisiana

23 months ago

I graduated college with an English degree . . . and now I'm looking into going to school to become a vet tech. I know it sounds random, but I absolutely hate my boring office job and I've been volunteering at my local animal shelter on the weekends and I absolutely love it. I've always loved animals and I love the idea of having a career where I can work with animals and actually be excited to get up and go to work sometimes.

I need some information though before I decide on this. I have been looking into different programs and course descriptions and message boards to find out what I can. What is a typical day like for a vet tech? Do the pros outweigh the cons? How involved do you actually get to be with the animals? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!

(For the record I'm not squeemish about poop or blood and I have no problem with the physical aspects this job presents. I'd much prefer a job where I could move around and actually be doing something.)

One question I really need answered is about euthanasia. How involved are vet techs in that process? I've seen it happen because I had to have my poor doggie put down last year, and needless to say it was heartbreaking, but what's it like to be on the other end of that? What about body disposal or cremation? Does a vet tech deal with that? This is really my main concern about the job I'd say.

Please give me some answers if you can!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Amanda Kaye in Los Angeles, California

23 months ago

this site will answer most of your questions
www.veterinarytechnician.com/

as for euthanasia, YES this is one of the major cons of the job. if you work in a clinic, maybe a few cases a week. if you work in research, then maybe a few cases a DAY. if you cannot handle the heartbreak and emotional rollercoaster of having to personally inject pets with poison, then you need to reconsider.

disposal is handled by hazmat agencies, depending on what state you live in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.