How to be a vet tech?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Vet Asst in Long Beach, California

26 months ago

Amanda Kaye in Los Angeles, California said: www.veterinarytechnician.com/is-becoming-a-vet-tech-a-good-choice/

this site has a lot of info for prospective vet techs

Thanks, Amanda. This site does have good info. Did you notice that Vet Asst salaries are listed as higher than Vet Techs? (VA=$37k vs. VT $34k) Seems a bit off to me....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda Kaye in Los Angeles, California

26 months ago

Vet Asst in Long Beach, California said: Thanks, Amanda. This site does have good info. Did you notice that Vet Asst salaries are listed as higher than Vet Techs? (VA=$37k vs. VT $34k) Seems a bit off to me....

i think thats a typo, since the chart says "Veterinary TECHNICIAN Assistant" i dont think VAs are even paid yearly salaries, more like hourly pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Vet Asst in Long Beach, California

26 months ago

Amanda Kaye in Los Angeles, California said: i think thats a typo, since the chart says "Veterinary TECHNICIAN Assistant" i dont think VAs are even paid yearly salaries, more like hourly pay.

I agree--it's gotta be a typo. There's no way that either a VA or a VTA makes more than a VT/RTV!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

vet tech in Garner, North Carolina

23 months ago

I remember coming across a website that had a few articles on vet techs.

www.becomeavet-tech.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

23 months ago

JungleGirl,
You need to earn a degree in veterinary technology from an AVMA accredited program. You can find a complete list of programs in Texas on the AVMA website: www.avma.org/ProfessionalDevelopment/Education/Accreditation/Programs/Pages/vettech-programs-all-programs-list.aspx#texas

Just completing the program doesn't make you a licensed technician. In fact at this point veterinary technicians aren't licensed by the state of Texas but that is very likely to change as a bill is going in to the 2013 legislative session to enact that change. To be registered as a technician, you would need to complete your degree, pass the Veterinary Technician National Exam and pass the state jurisprudence exam.

If you have more questions about becoming an RVT in Texas, please feel free to contact me. I am the immediate past president of the Texas Assoc. of Registered Veterinary Technicians.

Cindy Dittmar, RVT
cindyd@tarvt.org
Board Advisor
Texas Assoc. of Registered Veterinary Technicians

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ta_croi_laidir

23 months ago

Cindy,
I'm a 27 year old in Idaho and I'm looking into becoming a LVT and have found an accredited vocational school in my area...what questions should I be asking to make sure that it's the right school. Also what steps should I be taking to make sure that I can get the degree necessary for decent job placement?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RSS1021 in POMPANO BEACH, Florida

22 months ago

MY NAME IS RICH AND I LIVE IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA.

I WANT TO BECOME A ANIMAL COP.

COULD SOMEONE TELL ME HOW CAN I ACHIEVE MY DREAMS AND WHAT I NEED TO DO TO BECOME ONE EVENTUALLY.

MY GOAL IS TO BE A VET.TECH AND I WILL BE GOING TO SCHOOL NEXT YEAR FOR THAT. BUT I ALSO WANT TO BE A ANIMAL COP. HOW I CAN ACHIEVE BECOMING A ANIMAL COP?

THANKS ALOT-PLEASE HELP

RICARDO S

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lauren in New Cumberland, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

Basically you graduate from a 2-year accredited vet tech school.

When I was going through the process I found this site to be very helpful:

www.veterinary-technician.net

Also, talk to counselors at the schools you're interested in!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ChristinaK in Dallas, Texas

10 months ago

Vet Asst in Long Beach, California said: Thanks, Amanda. This site does have good info. Did you notice that Vet Asst salaries are listed as higher than Vet Techs? (VA=$37k vs. VT $34k) Seems a bit off to me....

Below is another great article on Getting A Veterinary Tech Job. It lists skills needed, education and training requirements, as well as the job out look.
www.jobunlocker.com/blog/how-to-get-a-veterinary-tech-job/.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.