Greener than Green

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

DGM in Toronto, Ontario

52 months ago

I have always been interested in editing work, but have absolutely no experience. The closest I have come is while in college I put together a powerpoint presentation for a project. I used music, video, delays, and a bunch of other semi cool stuff. I was only taught a 5 minute course on power point prior to this project, so basically went home, started tinkering, and came out with something. I showed my prof who taught me the 5 min crash course on power point and blew him away. I have always been good at tinkering with programs on my own and coming out with an impressive final product, for a rookie anyway. Could the same be said about editing? Obviously powerpoint is a joke and not anywhere even close to editing software, but if you can pick up on general programs, could you do that with editing? Should I bother stepping into this industry (Im 29 years old) or continue what im doing already? Is school important, or is it better to tinker with Avid or FCP at home, learn the basics, and find some company to shadow/intern a day a week? Would love to get some feedback on this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dollar Menu in Bloomfield, New York

52 months ago

I would say it depends on how successful you are in your current profession. If you are employed with good, steady work and are meeting your income goals, you are taking a risk by embarking on a new career.

Things I have learned about the video business:

1. Never predictable.

2. Lot's of people with attitudes...usually it's the little local businesses who are the worst (being one of the only games in town really goes to their heads).

3. When looking for a job in video production, knowing your trade skills is akin to having all of your bodily limbs present- it's only the most BASIC requirement. What it really comes down to is WHO YOU KNOW.

I'm betting you really enjoy working with video, and that's cool. Here's what I would suggest: keep your day job -for now anyway. Start tinkering with Avid Media Composer, FCP, and whatever video camera you have -because you're right about being able to learn alot from experience. Then offer to videotape something for a charitable organization, or a school sporting event or something else pro-bono. It'll get your name out there, you'll get more experience, you'll feel good helping out, and most importantly- you'll find out if this is really for you. Do you need to go back to school full time? I don't think so. Taking a class or shadowing an industry person couldn't hurt though. I guess what I'm saying is you should put yourself out there for no other reason than you enjoy the activity, be weary of a huge investment of your resources at this point, and be prepared for a bit of a rocky start.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.