Has anyone heard of Manhattan Edit Workshop?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (34)

Dave in Charlotte, NC

73 months ago

I'm thinking about attending Manhattan Edit Workshop's six week course, which teaches both Final Cut Stuido and Avid, but I'm trying to find out if it's worth it. Has anyone been there or know anyone who graduated from there? Or heard about it?

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Miah Artola in New York, New York

73 months ago

Dave in Charlotte, NC said: I'm thinking about attending Manhattan Edit Workshop's six week course, which teaches both Final Cut Stuido and Avid, but I'm trying to find out if it's worth it. Has anyone been there or know anyone who graduated from there? Or heard about it?

Thanks.

Hi, I teach Final Cut Pro classes: www.artoladigital.com and will send you a full curriculum as well as references. My classes are HIGHLY effective and 100 percent PRIVATE. You really will learn how to edit with my .My studio is located in the east village NYC and I have a full 6.0 hd editing suite and five years of serious teaching experience. Call if any interest: 917.386.3138 or email: artoaldigital@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ad in London, United Kingdom

73 months ago

Dave in Charlotte, NC said: I'm thinking about attending Manhattan Edit Workshop's six week course, which teaches both Final Cut Stuido and Avid, but I'm trying to find out if it's worth it. Has anyone been there or know anyone who graduated from there? Or heard about it?

Thanks.

Just read the manuals, thats what they are there for

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

alana in New York, New York

71 months ago

manhattan edit workshop is a major rip off. nearly 6 grand to hear them bs all day and speak so fast you can barely get it down on paper. don't waste your money or time. they know the product but they DO NOT know how to teach the product. I only wish there was a way to get my money back

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Bill Coleman in Charlotte, North Carolina

71 months ago

I didn't take the 6 week course but my expierence with MEW was fantastic. There is a tremendous amount of material to absorb and after reading through the manuals I was still running into roadblocks. They put together a week long FCP ( I wasn't interested in Avid at the time)intensive course and took copious notes and left there confident in my ability to work with: FCP Motion, DVD Studio Pro and Livetype. I was allowed to call them for months afterwards to help me over humps and they gladly did it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mewshop in new york, New York

69 months ago

We've never taught a student named Alana, so I wouldn't believe everything you read. Sadly, someone seems to want to spread bad rumors about Manhattan Edit Workshop. If you have any questions, please feel free to email info@mewshop.com

Check out www.mewshop.com for more info and take a look at our new program, Manhattan Edit Work-force.

Our guarantee that every six-week student reel goes straight to no fewer than fifteen top NYC post houses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

post guy in New York, New York

69 months ago

i took the six week class and am now working in post production in NYC. I was very happy with the instruction of both avid and final cut pro. The class was a great step for me. I found that if I ever had a problem understand something that was said all i had to do was ask and it was repeated. I was able to take notes understand the programs and have fun! Thanks again for all your hard work MEW!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in New York, New York

69 months ago

My experience at the Mewshop was great. Everyone over there was really cool and supportive. They still are. When I'm in a technical bind on a project I shoot them an email or call the office and they are more than happy to help.

6 Weeks granted is not too much time, but you gotta take what you can out of it. It's a beginners course and from there it's up to you if you want to keep going.

Jamie my savior just saved me again with an Avid issue. I would recommend this course to anyone with interest in editing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Andy in Brooklyn, New York

61 months ago

Hey Dave, I was considering MEW and saw your post. I wanted to ask you more about your experience. Can you (or anyone else who attended) email me at holtzab at gmail dot com?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Barbara in Yonkers, New York

60 months ago

Thinking about taking classes at MEW as I'd like to try to work in a more creative field but I am a total beginner and don't know anything about editing. Is MEW a good place for someone who is a novice and can you get work after this program?

Dave

60 months ago

Barbara in Yonkers, New York said: Thinking about taking classes at MEW as I'd like to try to work in a more creative field but I am a total beginner and don't know anything about editing. Is MEW a good place for someone who is a novice and can you get work after this program?

I can't answer from personal experience because I live in Charlotte and they don't have contacts down here. But I get emails every month from them about job postings they find and they just started soemthing called Manhattan Edit Workforce, designed to help graduates find employment. You can also contact them and ask lots of questions, I did. Feel free to ask me any more questions you like.

Steve in Tenafly, New Jersey

60 months ago

Upon completion of MEW's six week intensive, are you eligible for certification in Avid and Final Cut Pro?

Dave in Charlotte

60 months ago

Steve in Tenafly, New Jersey said: Upon completion of MEW's six week intensive, are you eligible for certification in Avid and Final Cut Pro?

Thanks to MEW I am Final Cut Pro Level 1 Certified. The test fee is included in the tuition and they can give you the test at the school. They explained that while Apple has two different level certifications (Level 1 is the first, which you have enough training for at the end of the six week course), Avid only has one certification that requires more advanced training, although they mentioned it might change someday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nirad2007 in Rego Park, New York

58 months ago

I thought they did a great job...I did not take the 6 week course. I enrolled in the one week FCP class...and it was great. The instructor new the product well enough, but what he new more was the art of editing. Which for me was better than just a technical overview of the software and how it works. I'm going to a day class for Motion this week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Sagamihara, Japan

53 months ago

I have been looking at both the Edit Center and MEW and want to know which one is better and why? I do know that MEW does both Avid and Final Cut... but the Edit Center spends time working on an actual project. Please let me know if anyone has any personal experiences. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dave

53 months ago

Paul in Sagamihara, Japan said: I have been looking at both the Edit Center and MEW and want to know which one is better and why? I do know that MEW does both Avid and Final Cut... but the Edit Center spends time working on an actual project. Please let me know if anyone has any personal experiences. thanks

I didn't end up going to Edit Center, but with MEW you do work on a bunch of differnet scenes. And by using both Avid and Final Cut you get to learn which one works better for you. At the end you put together a reel to use for finding work, which I've found to be helpful.

I_SMELL_A_RAT in Brooklyn, New York

50 months ago

Don't all these posts sound bogus to you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dave

50 months ago

Not sure what you think sounds bogus, but I did attend Manhattan Edit Workshop and have no regrets about it. If you have any questions you can contact me directly at Wildoates13@aol.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ramil Babayev in Baku, Azerbaijan

49 months ago

I am looking for a job in Usa.. 10 years working at television video editor.. i know Primerie pro (all) after effect (all) Blufftitle. mopheus..sounde forge..photoshop..illisuion..and some more prog..

James in Brisbane, Australia

42 months ago

Was looking very seriously at this course but have also been comparing it to "The Edit Center" in New York as well. Somewhat similar but your dealing with a feature film or documentary to edit on. Any comments on the difference of the courses.

Both look great courses but am just wondering if the differences are major?

Thanks

Dave

42 months ago

Honestly, I didn't go to The Edit Center so I can't comment on whether or not the differences are major. My suggestion is that if you live in the area go to both places, talk to someone there about what's involved in each place and maybe even get a tour.

Terry in Hillsborough, New Jersey

41 months ago

I'm looking for a way to break into the biz and have been in contact with the Film Connection. They offer a Mentor/Apprentice type education that would allow me to learn evenings and weekends so that I could keep with While 'class' is held at the mentors place of work, they teach within a structured curriculum that the Film Connection recommends. It costs 7k to complete the program within six months. I'm seriously considering doing this but I would first like to know what others may know about the program. Do you know of anyone who has done this program?

Dave

40 months ago

Haven't even heard of it, sorry.

pre-post guy in Hillsborough, New Jersey

34 months ago

CuttyNyc in Norwalk, Connecticut said: manhattan edit workshop is a scam. Going there will not help you find a career in editing. in fact fact it might actually hurt you. Ive heard the Edit Center actually helps promote a career. Check them out.
www.theeditcenter.com

CuttyNyc in Norwalk,

Can you elaborate on that statement? Did you go to MEW? Did you go to the 'Center'? What is it about MEW that might hurt someone? I'm in the process of evaluating both schools right now. I had a tour at the Center last week and will meet with someone at MEW this week. My impression of the Center was that they would not help you "post grad" with the exception of helping to create a reel of your studies. I'm not so much challenging your statement but rather requesting more in depth of what you wrote. Please go into details if you have them. We can converse offline if you wish.

parker in New York, New York

34 months ago

CuttyNyc in Norwalk, Connecticut said: manhattan edit workshop is a scam. Going there will not help you find a career in editing. in fact fact it might actually hurt you. Ive heard the Edit Center actually helps promote a career. Check them out.
www.theeditcenter.com

I can't speak for The Edit Center, but I can speak for MEW. It's not a scam. I graduated from the 6 week program earlier this year and I've been freelancing fairly steadily ever since. The staff is extremely personable and knowledgeable, and you come away from the program with skill-sets in both Avid and Final Cut Pro (7 and a fair amount of X, even though FCP X isn't ready for broadcast post workflows just yet) as well as an extensive intro to Adobe AfterEffects.

I'm not really sure your assertion that MEW hasn't helped me find a career in editing has any merit - I wasn't an editor this time a year ago. As of now, I'm a second-assistant on a feature film, director/editor of a behind-the-scenes featurette on another indie feature, and hopefully getting my foot in the door with an HBO sports doc....Not to mention my freelance work is supporting me rather well. Just sayin...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lummie in Brisbane, Australia

34 months ago

Just wanted to add my two cents being on the other hand and graduating from The Edit Center. On the question of whether they offer post production work, there was some done. First off they help you design a showreel so you can send your DVD to prospective employers. One of our instructors also went through some work on creating a film editor resume and tips on how to negotiate with film companies and what to expect.

As for work after the course, its a mixed bag. Being that I am back in Australia at the moment it was hard to apply for any positions but the center does provide a forum with past graduates and members of the center. There are jobs that are posted through the link including work experience roles. The center is also situated in a post production facility and there are at times some positions offered for work experience.

While I understand the previous post, I would have to say there is real benefits to each school although you won't lose on doing either course. MEW does offer training in After effects, Avid and Final Cut Pro. Edit Center only offers Final Cut in its 6 week course but Avid has many similarities and you wouldn't be look at a huge loss not doing it in the course. One advantage I had at the Edit Center was I had scenes from an actual film and documentary to put on my showreel.

If you have the will to make it as an editor then both schools I believe offer great chances to make it. I would only say go with which one you feel will suit you best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Abagnale in Norwalk, Connecticut

34 months ago

Just to be clear, I meant you could go all of that for a lot less then $6,000.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lummie in Brisbane, Australia

34 months ago

@Abagnale,
I do agree to an extent but it there is something about doing your work with professionals and being involved in the process and working on the editing software. I dont think one way is better than the other but I believe if you have the money it can be a worth while experience. If you find you have worked with the software before or have access to the software than perhaps the training is not needed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

pre-post guy in Hillsborough, New Jersey

34 months ago

How does the NYFA 4-week editing program compare with MEW & Editi Center? And for that matter, has anyone checked out the above advert from artoladigital.com?

Anthony in Teaneck, New Jersey

34 months ago

I'm not sure if your a disgruntled former student or work for The Edit Center, but I attended the MEW workshop and you are completely off base and misrepresenting the place. I looked at both places, and ultimately there are benefits to both. I decided that the benefits of spending all that money, I wanted to get as much as I could. Anyone can read a manual, watch a movie.. You don't need any classes from anyplace for that. That's definitely not the best way of learning for most everyone. All that said.. I choose MEW because I wanted to learn more than FCP. I wanted to not share a machine with another student. I wanted to not only work with different apps, but different genres too. I wanted to be able to use my reel I made, to find a job, not make a just make a DVD I couldn't use online. I wanted what I felt was more substance over hype. Yes you get to work on a movie at the center, but what if I don't like that project? What if the first job I apply for is Avid and I'm not as genius as the Connecticut guy and pick things up by reading a manual? What if the job is for commercial editing, and I only have a scene or two from Documentary scenes? There's more to the Workforce, than Mandy lists.. That's actually not what the Workforce is at all.. But slander is easy to do. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from going to The Edit Center, if they thought that was the best fit for them, even though I went to MEW. This Connecticut guy obviously has a personal problem, because his facts are completely off.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Angel41 in Glen Cove, New York

34 months ago

I took the six week class at MEW and it helped me out alot geting started on final cut and Avid. I cant say that it helped me find any work but i enjoyed the experience. If you've never used the programs before and like having an instructor walk you through the manuals i really recommend it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Abagnale in Norwalk, Connecticut

34 months ago

@Anthony in Teaneck

The only reason I mentioned MEWs Workforce is because MEW is the topic of this forum. I have neither reason nor intent to slander their program as their well-being is of absolutely no concern to me. I was simply reporting on what had been passed on to me by displeased alumni.
I have worked in this industry professionally for over 6 years and I know what its like starting off at the bottom and having to make these crucial decisions to jumpstart a career. I only wish there were more blogs and forums like this when I started.
And honestly yes, hearing that anyone would pass off links to Mandy.com as a part of their "Workfoce" was a little annoying. Perhaps I've been misinformed but if not that does suck. I also see them saying on here that they guarantee your Reel "go" to 15 post houses. I've seen this type of thing before, where the companies in question never even regard the Spam like emails places like MEW send them. More then likely they never even promised to review any Reels. And their emails will be deleted. Always ask for confirmation.

And btw, as a professional Editor you will find that learning from tutorials will be a huge part of your professional career. You will find them a great asset in this ever-changing field. I recommend Lynda.com, its an amazing tutorial resource used by tons of Working Editors on a daily basis. And you don't need to be a genius, just eager to learn.

Good luck to you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Hanratty in New York, New York

34 months ago

@Abagnale... I think Anthony was pointing out that you can learn in many ways, ultimately it's up to you which works best for you. I think this forum is supposed to be for advice based on information you have from first hand experience, not unfounded rumors. Young aspiring editors are looking for experienced editors like yourself, Frank, to guide them along. Not dissuade them from exploring options that may work for them, even if they wouldn't work for you. For example if you wanted to pursue Avid, and I only thought FCP was the only right way to edit because my friend told me so... I think you might say that Im not really in a good position to comment with validity. Especially when you don't appear to actually know why it sucks, you just "think" it sucks. I didn't go to either place, but I've been working for 7 years. Does that mean both places suck? Absolutely not. But please give them a look if that works for you, because as long as you learn it tge way ut works for you best and pursue your goals, go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Brian McLane in Brooklyn, New York

33 months ago

Took the 1 week course 5 or 6 years ago and was lucky to get a teacher named Memo Salazar (terrific). It was however A LOT to absorb because I had questions and we just couldn't get it all in so I know what some of these people are talking about. I also took Avid Xpress which I still have the disks for but which were quickly obsolete and AVID wouldn't either tell me on what kind of system the software (which came with a dongle) would be good on, or give me comparable software so I could use their product. AVID basically said F#$%K OFF. So I would never pay a cent to give AVID anything and it's a shame that MEW is so aligned with a crappy company like AVID.

Take Final Cut if anything, it's more practical and yes you can trust MEW to teach it - just be ready to dedicate 100 percent of your focus to the training or you will quickly fall behind.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.