More Education?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Jenni in Saint Michael, Minnesota

82 months ago

I would love to have a career as a video editor, but I am unsure how to go about getting into the industry. I currently have a BA in Broadcast Journalism and took courses in video production where I learned to edit on Avid. Do I need more education? Any advice on how I get started?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

easy fly in Toronto, Ontario

82 months ago

Get yourself a copy of FCP or Avid Pro and practise editing anything, joke reels, movie trailers,
practise! practise! practise,

You don't become an editor by learning courses, you do it practically to produce your own cracking demo reel and show what talent you have as an editor. Thats how you become employed, impress them with your fancy work and you'll get the calls.

Good luck!

Dan Fitzgerald in New Orleans, Louisiana

82 months ago

I got a Bachelor's in Television Production from Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles. My experience however was that I could express myself better in Radio than T.V. especially in Los Angeles where the real big boys ply the trade. After bumping my head against the wall of not-enough-experience I began volunteering first at KPFK then at KCRW. Finally I did get hired but had to come to New Orleans to land this job. I love this city (despite recent gripes against the Army Corps of Engineers) and love my job. I am not trying to suggest you will not end up in New York or Los Angeles, I only mean to say traditionally we start in a small market and claw our way up.
Or we find our comfort level at some middle stage. Happy Hunting.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.