What are the best video editor qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a video editor? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective video editor?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Muammad Ahsan Khan in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

73 months ago

Well, you must atleast be well-versed with the following software:

1. Final Cut Pro
2. Adobe Premiere
3. Adobe After Effects (Special Effects)
4. Adobe Illustrator / Photoshop

You must also be creative in your approach towards editing. Convering raw footage into an edited movie is not the point, the point is to convert it into a movie that SELLS!

You can take additional trainings on Special Effects, 3D and Compositing. However, it is not a non-traditional career path at all, atleast not at this point in time. If you are good at what you do, you will be earning alot more than some of the traditional career paths that you adequately speak of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

manolito agustin in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

71 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a video editor? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective video editor?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

First and foremost, learn how to pitch stories, editing is a filmmaking hence, it's quite good idea to master storytelling skills.
Editing Softwares are only tools, but I suggest you to learn Avid Media Composer, which I consider the most powerful and the fastest editing system on the planet. Besides, learn traditional aspects of timing, motivation, continuity and many more. Becoming an editor is not everybody's dream, it's a destiny, there are many mediocre editor, but for me the secret, is to become first a storyteller, Good Luck! Me myself, I have been trying to be an editor, but I become more as a animatics storyboard artist, my hand is good in hand drawing and sketching skills

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.