How much to charge for video editing

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 57)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Adam in Babylon, New York

84 months ago

I've been editing videos for fun for about 6 years and recently a relative of a friend has asked me to do some professional work for his business and wants to pay me accordingly. The job would be to edit 4 hours of video down into 1 hour. It's to be a promotional piece for his medical practice. The forums seem to suggest charging $25/hr. Can anyone suggest what a project like this would normally cost overall?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (285) / No (49) Reply - Report abuse

Adam in West Babylon, New York

81 months ago

I'm afraid you'll have to ask someone who lives much closer to you unless you plan on coming to America. You should do well over there though. Make sure you have an Apple Computer and the program Final Cut Pro. Let me know how much you make... maybe I'll move to India (I do like the food!).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

DAArenas in Parsippany, New Jersey

52 months ago

Haha this forum is awesome, it's like the "All you need to know about the commercial business, which computer is better for editing videos" forum! So this potential client told me that he wants to do a commercial, because he saw some of my editing videos samples here---->( www.youtube.com/DiegoAMedia ) and liked my style, it's going to be my first commercial (I have done other videos with people in it, and made it look like a movie not just graphic fx). This forum taught me a lot! and someone should thank you guys, and that would be me, thank you guys! I do have 2 questions though, I am very creative, and the idea that I pitched to the potential client really liked it, so I'll be directing the commercial, as well as editing it, so should I charge more? and another question! what if I wanted to put a song that goes perfectly with the commercial without the artists consent? (but it was sampled to fit with the commercial) or should I just simply contact the company and try to work something out with them because of the art licensing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DLW1994 in Aberdeen, Washington

49 months ago

Hello, I've been making videos for for a little over 4 years now. I have mastered FCP, and have my own camera,lights,tripods. ETC. I have never been paid for any of my work. (I have started a successful youtube channel.) But mostly I liked edited things like Explosions and muzzle flashes And making titles. all 100% mastered. But I Really want to start making a career out of it, I just turned 17, and i've read that getting into this career path is to hard, and most do not succeed In having a stable income from production, but the only thing that has really got my full attention and effort is production, I LOVE IT! any suggestions on how to make this a career?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JC in Salinas, California

49 months ago

Hello, I'm a video editor/videographer I have no idea how much to charge by the hour. So far i just charge my clients depending on how long and how much effects they want on there video.

Here's a sample of my work:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyfctKAebPA

Hope to get s response.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tio Pelon in Albuquerque, New Mexico

49 months ago

DLW1994 in Aberdeen, Washington said: Hello, I've been making videos for for a little over 4 years now. I have mastered FCP, and have my own camera,lights,tripods. ETC. I have never been paid for any of my work. (I have started a successful youtube channel.) But mostly I liked edited things like Explosions and muzzle flashes And making titles. all 100% mastered. But I Really want to start making a career out of it, I just turned 17, and i've read that getting into this career path is to hard, and most do not succeed In having a stable income from production, but the only thing that has really got my full attention and effort is production, I LOVE IT! any suggestions on how to make this a career?

To quote another: "If you love what you do for a living, you'll never work a day in your life." Hat's off to ya, young'un. I'm a late bloomer without as much experience as you. (I on the other hand have had to eat for the last fifty years.) You've got a long road ahead of you. Sorry I couldn't give you the answer you were really looking for. I've gathered that the pricing is the standard, "it depends." What a crock.
AND I'M ON A G5 2.3 DUALLY NONFRIKKIN INTEL REAL MAC WITH FCP and PREMIERE PRO. And I ain't lookin' back!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Timtheboy in Union Grove, Wisconsin

46 months ago

Gene in Yonkers, New York said: oh quite the contrary Mr. Yes, you CAN do this on a PC but everyone in the graphics industry knows that Mac is KING. PC's are for accounting and Microsoft Excel. Not art stuff.

Its true, Mac is king but I use a AMD 6 core, 1tb hd, 12 ram, 5770 video card, and black star motherboard and I can make a heck of a lot more quality videos faster and with less lag than my preppy-Mac-ONLY student counterparts who think there's something religious about their Mac obsession.

It's more about the specs and less about the brand in my unprofessional opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

FrankMcG in Belmont, Massachusetts

44 months ago

Regarding the whole Mac vs PC thing: it's not so much the hardware or platform capabilities as it is the mindset of people. I personally dislike Macs (a LOT), but the reality is that the vast majority of people in the industry use them and religiously expect everyone else to use them. Even clients who know nothing about video will expect you to work with Macs because that's just the stereotype they've grown to believe.

You won't know how ridiculous it is until you show up on a set with a PC laptop and see all the looks of utter SCORN from the Mac users. It's a cult and the unfortunate truth is that you're going to miss out on a lot of jobs if you don't fall in line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

beck in Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania

44 months ago

I recently graduated from college and received a freelancing job at an interior design firm to edit 3 videos.
The guy asked me how much I would charge him, but I honestly don't know how much because this is my first freelance project. I've done some projects during college, but only started editing 3 years ago so I'm not an expert but have pretty good experience through projects and internships.

I'm not sure as to how much to charge. I've been seeing that entry levels usually charge around $20-25 an hour. This is the guy's first time doing anything like this too, so he doesn't really understand what I do and how much to pay. Since I'm doing it from home and he doesn't know how many hours I would put into this, how much should I charge daily? Is $200 an hour alright? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Larry Smiley-El in Houston, Texas

44 months ago

beck in Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania said: I recently graduated from college and received a freelancing job at an interior design firm to edit 3 videos.
The guy asked me how much I would charge him, but I honestly don't know how much because this is my first freelance project. I've done some projects during college, but only started editing 3 years ago so I'm not an expert but have pretty good experience through projects and internships.

I'm not sure as to how much to charge. I've been seeing that entry levels usually charge around $20-25 an hour. This is the guy's first time doing anything like this too, so he doesn't really understand what I do and how much to pay. Since I'm doing it from home and he doesn't know how many hours I would put into this, how much should I charge daily? Is $200 an hour alright? Thanks.

That's really your call. You are going to have to figure out what your time is worth. The formula I use is in three parts: expenses+time+premium=rate. Me personally, the expenses and my time are not on the table for negotiation. Depending on how a potential client treats me initially determines if my rate will include the full 40% premium mark-up (you'll find this as a standard mark-up in any basic business book)or will be somewhere closer to a 15% mark-up. I also use this part of my pricing strategy as a cushion to negotiate with. It gives me maximum flexibility because I'm OK in regards to what my fee is and the expenses I may incur. If someone needs a break, this is where I can give them one. The trick is you have to find your sweet spot and it's based on what your time is worth to you. Some people are OK with working at Home Depot for $15/ hr. If you're OK with trading your hours for $15 each, then include your charge in the overall rate. The expenses are what they are. If you use an editor like Avid you'll be provided with exactly how much time you spend and what you actually do on the project.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yay in Nyack, New York

44 months ago

Gene in Yonkers, New York said: oh quite the contrary Mr. Yes, you CAN do this on a PC but everyone in the graphics industry knows that Mac is KING. PC's are for accounting and Microsoft Excel. Not art stuff.

Actually Macs are terrible for CGI. PC's make all the 3D animated movies, not Macs. A Mac is just a PC nowadays, but with different drivers and software that protect the components and allow them to last longer. If you knew how the components were working, you could build a PC that blows away any Mac, plus you could use Avid for editing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Yay in Nyack, New York

44 months ago

DEAR ALL.....

I have been asked to provide a rate "per finished minute" for editing footage I did not shoot, have not seen, and have not received any information about, other than it is a wedding shot on miniDV. My plan was to find out more about the project (I sent some questions to be answered), then provide an estimate based on how much time would need to be put into the project. Is it a standard practice to provide a rate based on "finished minute"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Yay in Nyack, New York said: DEAR ALL.....

I have been asked to provide a rate "per finished minute" for editing footage I did not shoot, have not seen, and have not received any information about, other than it is a wedding shot on miniDV. My plan was to find out more about the project (I sent some questions to be answered), then provide an estimate based on how much time would need to be put into the project. Is it a standard practice to provide a rate based on "finished minute"?

I've seen this before. I have seen rates from $300 to $1,000 per finished minute on the freelance circuit. BUT. When I sat down with a calculator and my rate card it quickly became apparent that these type of rates were or had to be based on a well oiled machine. There's a time-to-production balance that has to be struck to make this price strategy work for you. That's a difficult balance to strike if you're out of your normal workflow or not in control of the way the project was shot. If it wasn't shot with the editor in mind... I did a wedding once that I had to have an untrained cam-op help me with and it didn't turn out as well as it could have because my editing options were limited in relation to the cam-op's footage-that made editing take longer than usual. The only projects that I have successfully used a PPFM strategy were with music videos. Weddings and such? You might only agree to 6 hours, but you may be there for 7. Throws it off every single time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yay in Nyack, New York

44 months ago

Larry Smiley-El in Houston, Texas said: I've seen this before. I have seen rates from $300 to $1,000 per finished minute on the freelance circuit. BUT. When I sat down with a calculator and my rate card it quickly became apparent that these type of rates were or had to be based on a well oiled machine. There's a time-to-production balance that has to be struck to make this price strategy work for you. That's a difficult balance to strike if you're out of your normal workflow or not in control of the way the project was shot. If it wasn't shot with the editor in mind... I did a wedding once that I had to have an untrained cam-op help me with and it didn't turn out as well as it could have because my editing options were limited in relation to the cam-op's footage-that made editing take longer than usual. The only projects that I have successfully used a PPFM strategy were with music videos. Weddings and such? You might only agree to 6 hours, but you may be there for 7. Throws it off every single time.

Thank you for the quick reply. I am wondering if $300-$1,000 is a high rate for a wedding? What if someone wants a 90-minute finished video of their wedding (that I didn't record)? I also don't want to scare people off with a complicated pricing system. Is there a better way to estimate the cost of the project?

44 months ago

Yay in Nyack, New York said: Thank you for the quick reply. I am wondering if $300-$1,000 is a high rate for a wedding? What if someone wants a 90-minute finished video of their wedding (that I didn't record)? I also don't want to scare people off with a complicated pricing system. Is there a better way to estimate the cost of the project?

What I do is this: I make $500 off the top for shooting, editing, and finishing the wedding. The reception is $100 (unless all a client wants is the reception in which case it's $500). The Love Story is $200. A custom photo slideshow is $50. $150 for each additional camera. $100 for expenses (gas and tapes). You will need to look into licensing issues concerning the music that ends up on tape. Believe me, they'll find you. The thing about weddings that most clients seem to miss from a financial side is that the project is a keepsake. They get it when concerns arise as to whether or not you can do the job better than Uncle Freddie with the Sony Hi8, but when it's time to discuss the price you all of sudden have on a dirty hat, burnt face, red and green sweater, leather glove equipped with knives... Just look around. Weddings run anywhere from $450 (videotape it and hand over the tapes on the spot) to thousands of dollars depending on what it's worth to the client. I personally think $3,501 enters into overkill. I've done one for $600. I've done another for $1,800. The thing that is consistently non-negotiable is my day rate of $500. I'm not coming if I can't at least get that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yay in Nyack, New York

44 months ago

HAHA on the Freddy analogy...

About how long of a video do you provide for those rates usually? 5-10 min? Or a documentary style, minimally edited video of the ceremony? I was referring to $300-$1000 being a high editing rate, especially PPFM. For the whole project, that's low I would agree. Since I didn't shoot the video, would I not charge extra for a second camera (even though that is more footage for me to wrangle)? I don't know if the client was the one who got married, or if he just agreed to shoot the wedding and is left with DV tapes of the footage, but he appears to have budget in the low end of the range you suggested.

I was originally conceiving this as a documentary-style project, but upon surfing the web, most of the videos eliminate most of the audio, and edit together a 5 minute video to a sound track. I am being handed the project by a sound editor/musician, so I am assuming he will be doing the sound editing if the project is of the music-video variety, so no concern about licensing issues. He's not the client, but it would probably eliminate most of the variables of audio/picture quality that I might run into, right? It would also probably be in his interest to do it as a music video, which is why he's asking me for a PPFM rate, but if I'm not doing the audio, do I charge less? Even at $80 PPFM, for a five minute video, that's already $400, which means I start to look like that guy from your nightmares that if you don't wake up screaming, you might not wake up at all....or I'm just charging what I should be charging?

44 months ago

SO the guy wants a price on the project not an hourly fee. He wants me to create 3 videos, 2 are 2.5 mins and 1 is about 5 mins long. he's going to provide the footage and VO.
I'm not sure what to tell him as to how much the whole project will cost him.
Help? Thanks!

44 months ago

beck in Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania said: SO the guy wants a price on the project not an hourly fee. He wants me to create 3 videos, 2 are 2.5 mins and 1 is about 5 mins long. he's going to provide the footage and VO.
I'm not sure what to tell him as to how much the whole project will cost him.
Help? Thanks!

Now I see why he asked for a PPFM.
Yes. I usually do the documentary style video as I have never been asked for the music video styled piece. I did have someone ask me what I charged for a music video once who wanted a wedding video. Instant hat and red and green sweater. Now that you say that I see now why that question was relevant... Don't get me started about music videos... I like to tell the whole story so I do a lot of things to do that.
First off, I would ask him for the music because essentially it's a music video. That one, I would treat it as a normal editing job, i.e. $45/hr to edit it, and then whatever the expenses will be. I ask what they will do with the finished project to determine what formats to export it as in that if they do it it will probably be unrepresentative of what picture/sound quality I provided. I only render once and that's to whatever formats are needed. I have a custom made program I wrote in Visual Basic that calculates my studio time based on what gear is used, what service I'm providing for what PPH, and the time it takes. I'm not sure what options are available for you in that arena but people will tell you QuickBooks Pro has that feature. I use QuickBooks but it's not as detailed as I needed it to be as far as project pricing is concerned so I made one myself.
I would treat it as a normal editing job because I didn't shoot it. I would ask for the music because my edit decisions would be primarily based on the music. And I would charge my editing rate plus expenses (in this case electricity and studio time).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yay in Nyack, New York

44 months ago

Larry Smiley-El in Houston, Texas said: Thanks. I was actually considering that just last night after I received yet another call from someone asking for my rate for editing. She said she had investors and a budget and I could "see" her eyebrows slam against her hairline when I told her my rate.

Larry, I usually work production, and what I was told by the folks in the Union is that you should always ask for a copy of the budget, and work out your deal in writing, before you do any work. The woman probably thinks you are going to do it for free because it's a public access network. Searching for better circles/clients is probably the way to go. Although it sounds a little backwards, sometimes working for a lower rate to get your foot in the door is worth it, but only if you can see the money in the future, because once people get to know you, they don't want to go through the work of getting to know a new person, and walking up right off the bat and saying you are certified yaddha yaddha might scare them off from working with you, because their budget is low. You might not ever get more money out of the person that hired you, but if they get you referrals, those referrals will have the money to pay you.

Thanks for all your help. I can see how tricky this is now! You can't just offer pricing, you have to put it into words the person you are talking to understands

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

THanks for the quick response, and i'm sorry, I forgot to explain what the project will be. He will basically give me photos and random videos to create a quick promotional video for his company. He's going to be playing it in his show room, and sending it to clients and posting it online. VO and footage will be provided. I was thinking $250 for both 2.5 minute videos and $500 for the 5 minute? Is that unreasonable?

Thanks again!

44 months ago

If there isn't a ton of footage to review, yes, I think that's pretty reasonable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SilverFox in Tualatin, Oregon

43 months ago

HD Editor with gear $125 to $200 an hour.
SD Editor with gear $ $85 to $125 hour.

If you are truly are good, skilled, fast and can really edit using proper esthetics and story telling, those are professional rates.

I NEVER charge less than $65 an hour even for my lower paying clients, but I've been editing professional for over 18 years and have a full editing suite.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

eric in San Mateo, California

43 months ago

ur an idiot... ive been editing on PC/AVID for 6 years and it is just as good as MAC/FCP. ur just a geek.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

vaky12 in Ann Arbor, Michigan

43 months ago

I was originally conceiving this as a documentary-style project, but upon surfing the web, most of the videos eliminate most of the audio, and edit together a 5 minute video to a sound track. I am being handed the project by a sound editor/musician, so I am assuming he will be doing the sound editing if the project is of the music-video variety, so no concern about licensing issues. He's not the client, but it would probably eliminate most of the variables of audio/picture quality that I might run into, right? It would also probably be in his interest to do it as a music video, which is why he's asking me for a PPFM rate, but if I'm not doing the audio, do I charge less? Even at $80 PPFM, for a five minute video, that's already $400, which means I start to look like that guy from your nightmares that if you don't wake up screaming, you might not wake up at all....or I'm just charging what I should be charging?newtopshop.net/Pandora-Birthstone-Beads-category-5.html

vaky12 in Ann Arbor, Michigan

43 months ago

did a wedding once that I had to have an untrained cam-op help me with and it didn't turn out as well as it could have because my editing options were limited in relation to the cam-op's footage-that made editing take longer than usual. The only projects that I have successfully used a PPFM strategy were with music videos. Weddings and such? You might only agree to 6 hours, but you may be there for 7. Throws it off every single time.newtopshop.net/Pandora-Birthstone-Beads-category-5.html

eve in Brooklyn, New York

43 months ago

email me and I can tell you about two great places to find jobs.
ewilner@gmail.com

DLW1994 in Aberdeen, Washington said: Hello, I've been making videos for for a little over 4 years now. I have mastered FCP, and have my own camera,lights,tripods. ETC. I have never been paid for any of my work. (I have started a successful youtube channel.) But mostly I liked edited things like Explosions and muzzle flashes And making titles. all 100% mastered. But I Really want to start making a career out of it, I just turned 17, and i've read that getting into this career path is to hard, and most do not succeed In having a stable income from production, but the only thing that has really got my full attention and effort is production, I LOVE IT! any suggestions on how to make this a career?

shilpa in Mumbai, India

41 months ago

I want to start freelancing video editing project so how i get freelancing project for video editing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

decker in Fresno, California

41 months ago

ok kid you're gonna need alot more than muzzle flashes and explosions to make successful career out of this. Get a reel together of your work, it should not be longer than 1-2minutes, make sure it contains appropriate samples of work for the type of jobs you are seeking out i.e no youtube gunfight vids, noone wants to see that. Try taking some business classes so you can first learn how to make money , freelancing is a reality of this career path most will put in their time doing it, before getting permanent position somewhere, others just prefer it, it has is it's pros and cons.

41 months ago

In addition to that, I would get a degree at a good school. Not only will you learn conventional production techniques, you'll also meet future contacts (people who can help you) as well as make inroads into the industry. I see job postings up around Texas Southern University all the time. Reading the qualifications reveal for entry level production positions you will need a damn good contact or an Associate degree. I will say that a great deal of people working in the industry in the Houston area have certifications from schools like Alvin Community College's Communications Departments. Talent will only get you so far. At the end of the day, though, you're going to have to understand certain fundamentals and companies as well as clients (should you take the freelance route) want to be confident they won't have to babysit you on things as simple as file organization. True story: a classmate who talked their way into a position they knew nothing about at first edited a piece and the source footage was imported from the desktop. After it was done they exported the project to the desktop. They didn't change the name of the project so the source footage was overwritten. Upon trying to reopen the project the software indicated that all of the media was offline. Moral? Learn the fundamentals first, then let your creativity shine thru that fundamentals prism. That is what companies and clients really look for.

jackser in Belle River, Ontario

41 months ago

Ricker in Valrico, Florida said: You DON'T need a Mac anymore!!.. This isn't the 80's!!!

oh yeah u do ;-)

jen in Richmond, Virginia

40 months ago

I totally think experience and equipment need to be taken into account... I have both. My pricing has sort of ranged depending a little bit on the project. My real question is to charge for render and export time or not. I only have one computer. I always record the total number of hours including both... then usually shave a few off, feeling bad when billing clients. What do you all do?

40 months ago

Attention all Final Cut Pro folks. I hear tell of Apple discontinuing FCP immediately and beginning in January they will cease to provide support for it... Don't you just hate it when they do that?!? Of course this is all hush hush, off record, behind the hand and on the low...

I use Avid Media Composer and I rely on the report it generates concerning what all has been done for a project and how long it took. The render times are included. However, our proprietary software calculates that here as I never use the editor to render. I always use QuickTime Reference files which allows me to open my raw timeline in Sorenson Squeeze. When I render, I'm exporting master files to be used for whatever the client needs them for. There's a file specifically for YouTube, for example, made from the timeline as opposed to a compressed file that has been rendered. Your quality gets worse and worse the more you do to it off that one rendered file.
Whether I'm sitting at the workstation staring at the screen watching the numbers crawl while the project exports or asleep while it exports, if my equipment is running a process on a project the client should be billed. Your equipment is an asset in your accounting books and assets are graded by how much they put in your bank account right now as opposed to what you can get for it if you sold it. Your equipment should be put to work generously so that it will be generous to your bank account while being generously used to help more and more people meet their media needs.

rocknrollchef in Roselle, Illinois

40 months ago

Interesting discussion...

VP Zoe in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

40 months ago

Mydezine in New York, New York said: No of course you don't need a Mac, but unless you are good at maintaing a PC, Apples are recommended by most people in the media world. Macs sucked in the 80's anyway. How many movie makers today use Macs vs. any other common platform? Anyway, I started this thread so I get to tell YOU what platform to use, not the other way around there Sparky. (;

The debate between macks and PC's is complete politics one is not more powerful than the other they just don't like doing business together. I think that is silly though because if they were to work together they could create a synergy and make larger profits. I der know?

VP Zoe in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

40 months ago

VP Zoe in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: The debate between macks and PC's is complete politics one is not more powerful than the other they just don't like doing business together. I think that is silly though because if they were to work together they could create a synergy and make larger profits. I der know?

However I do prefer mack over PC :)

Hall in Halifax, Nova Scotia

39 months ago

Wow, there's a hidden truth about this. Check into what you are saying, but if you only research the Apple platform, you are not going to learn the truth.

a.s in Winnipeg, Manitoba

39 months ago

JC in Salinas, California said: Hello, I'm a video editor/videographer I have no idea how much to charge by the hour. So far i just charge my clients depending on how long and how much effects they want on there video.

Here's a sample of my work:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyfctKAebPA

Hope to get s response.

i've been makeing and editing movie's since i was eight i'm know fourteen. i've always wanted to become a movie editor.
i just want to know if i have to go to school for it. i make lot's of movie with friend family and we all love it when i put the movie's to gether my mom siad'.. i have a very bigimajuination . everyone think's i will be very good at it

malachite in Winnipeg, Manitoba

39 months ago

LouTheArtist in Cherry Hill, New Jersey said: I produce TV commercials out of my house. I have been doing that back to back on a dell laptop for the past 2 years. And it has been not the greatest experience. Now I have a new 17" macbook pro and it's like going from bullxxxx to total awesomeness!!! Video editing works well on a PC that is specifically built for it. But on a mac is like being in a dream! lol... And this is my Third mac and my 5th pc, and that last laptop I got 2 years ago, that was my last pc ever! No more PC for me. And the only reason I got it was because at the time I could not get a new mac. I was FCP on a G4 before this pc.

Anyway I found this discussion while looking for what to charge for this edit that I'm about to do. Because all the commercials I do are like a full production price and this edit that I'm about to do is going to be per hour.

It's a pageant that was shot from 3 cameras. Luckily all 3 cameras were the same. I'm pretty sure this edit will take about 40hours including creating the poster for the DVD and the Graphics for the disk as well as all the text titles and all that good stuff. It should be about an hour and a half DVD when I'm done.

So I'm going to charge him $25/hr just because it's such a time consuming project. I'm thinking "Quantity of hours lower price" kind of theory.

The last pageant I edited from a 3 cam shoot took me 60 hours with all DVD graphic work included. But I'm back on a mac now so it should help speed things up :-)

What do you guys think about that price for 40 hours?

You sir are a total idiot. An absolute total idiot. Mac or PC type doesn't make things faster. It's processor and ram. I had a mac pro (not macbook pro) and I built a pc that is 3 times faster for half the money. So stop spewing that bs about "I got a new mac and it's faster than my 2 year old pc! yay!" You are an idiot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

I agree (not with the idiot part). I use Mac Pros at TSU and a custom built PC in my suite. The Mac uses the same chip as most PCs these days. The Intel Core name comes from Intel and Apple agreeing to work together after it was proven that the G4 or G5 (can't remember which) was not 74% faster than... Apple inked a deal with Intel and then Intel comes out with the Core family of chips, as in "core" of an "apple."
The difference now is the OS. Windows is a left-brain/ universal mind OS. OSX is a right-brain/ universal mind OS. The logic-dominant thinking person will excel in media arts given a properly equipped PC. The most democratic machine you can buy today is the PC because you are in total control of how you put it together yourself. The logic-dominant thinker loves to touch the individual parts, to put those parts together after studying the technology behind them and analyzing which parts work best with one another and the chosen OS and software tools of our trade. We love the process of the build, the process of working through the problem opportunities of our trade, and the process of troubleshooting and repairing the system. Contrary to popular belief PCs develop problems solely because of something the user has no business doing. PCs are virus prone only because of its intimacy with Microsoft and that said, Microsoft is doing a way better job of keeping our machines healthy today than in the past. Let OSX get anywhere close to the market share of desktops that Microsoft still enjoys and see what happens to the Mac.
Now, the Mac is for those of us who simply want to turn it on and just do media. Problems? The few that these machines have (I watch University students crash Mac Pros using FCP and other software in TSU's Mac Lab every time I'm in there, so don't tell me they don't crash, etc.), for the most part you have to have it "fixed" by Apple. To us that's an inconvenience.
All said, PCs are the better tool for universal minded thinkers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Psynema in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

What should I charge, just as a fun poll - using FCP since it was released

www.psynema.com

blest dunamis in Liberia

38 months ago

i have been editing video for 4yrs now but music video movies and anything video. i love the job but i can get anything out of it cos in liberia they dont pay much even in the the tv station i work i am the only editor here can anybody help me out with any job or any advice

Phillip in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

37 months ago

Adam in West Babylon, New York said: Well first of all I think you need a customer. The first one will help you via word of mouth if you request it. I started simply by making them for free for friends (.. but that was easy because I took the video myself with friends while on art history trips to various countries in Europe). Friends and family of those on the trip were impressed with my work and have asked me to do anything from simply conversion from VHS to DVD to revamping old videos of family events that were poorly done by professionals.

I'd suggest you go to the people that you know and ask them to suggest you to their friends, family and business partners. Once you get that going, start a corporation so that they can make checks out to your company. You'll find more potential customers that way since they'll be able to write those checks off their taxes as a business expense.

Get a website up too. You'll create an image that will draw more work if you have a place to advertise with rates and samples of your work that anyone in the world can access from their computer at home.

Good luck to you!

Umm, It's sounds like has already has customers. I came here with same scenario..."How much should one charge to edit video footage?" --- not a lesson building the brand.

Ally

36 months ago

Adam in Babylon, New York said: I've been editing videos for fun for about 6 years and recently a relative of a friend has asked me to do some professional work for his business and wants to pay me accordingly. The job would be to edit 4 hours of video down into 1 hour. It's to be a promotional piece for his medical practice. The forums seem to suggest charging $25/hr. Can anyone suggest what a project like this would normally cost overall?

Hey Adam, A friend needs a vid produced for The Greatest Race. He's on Long Island and has to have it by April 23. He will pay 400. If you can't do it, can you suggest anyone?

If anyone on the forum is interested, email me.

Mydezine in Brooklyn, New York

36 months ago

Ally said: Hey Adam, A friend needs a vid produced for The Greatest Race. He's on Long Island and has to have it by April 23. He will pay 400. If you can't do it, can you suggest anyone?

If anyone on the forum is interested, email me.

I could do it if the format is 4:3 - otherwise I can recommend several people I know.

anthonyafr in Killeen, Texas

36 months ago

I could do i for 400.
send me an e-mail with the info to anthonyfrankrojas@hotmail.com

Filmed77

36 months ago

I would do it for $350

jmartinez777@me.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mydezine in Brooklyn, New York

36 months ago

So is this where I'm supposed to offer to do it for $300 and then we can all continue to under bid one another until somebody offers to do it for free? This way everyone looses? Why don't we not try to get jobs because you are willing to work for less then the other guy, and actually let your work speak for itself..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Psynema in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

36 months ago

Mydezine in Brooklyn, New York said: So is this where I'm supposed to offer to do it for $300 and then we can all continue to under bid one another until somebody offers to do it for free? This way everyone looses? Why don't we not try to get jobs because you are willing to work for less then the other guy, and actually let your work speak for itself..

I'll do it for $5 per minute of raw footage. I don't undercut, because paying $200 less is meaningless if you have to pay someone to fix all the mistakes and lack of passion :)

Phil Satterley in Littleton, Colorado

36 months ago

This is where guys like me clean up. This past weekend had a MAJOR client contact me on Saturday afternoon to "fix" a video that they needed for a presentation first thing Monday morning. Originally they got a person who did it for a "lower than standard" (probably free)rate and after the guy giving the presentation saw it blew a gasket. It was Easter weekend and fast turnaround, they had to pay extra (thank goodness I have an understanding wife who doesn't mind putting off Easter brunch by a day, especially with the amount I'm bringing in:-) In the end the "work for free" deal ended up costing them more than TWICE what they would have originally paid if they got me to begin with!

You know the drill, PICK TWO!

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.