Late or Non-Payment, but Overseas

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Andrea Henninge in Hallstead, Pennsylvania

61 months ago

I'm currently working with a woman who lives in Germany. I helped her to get her company really up & running; starting in Aug. '07. I realize that a start-up has alot of ups & downs, but I have accrued quite an outstanding balance owed to me. I really don't want to quit, as I know the company is definitely getting big, but I don't know what I can do to receive payment. We've had many discussions about it, but there always seems to be a reason; mostly that she hasn't been paid yet. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

61 months ago

If you don't know business law - or international business law - this would be a good time to learn it. She is in Germany. You are in the United States. Does she have an office in the United States? Probably not. Therefore, unless she chooses to pay you, there is really nothing you can do.

In this situation, it is practically impossible for you to sue her for the money because she is in Germany - and the American court system has no jurisdiction over her business in Germany. You can't file a civil complaint in an American court against her. You can't get service of summons and complaint. You can't force her to come to the United States.

So Buddy, you are working for free. You have been working for her for almost two years (Aug 07 - April 09) and you have received very little, if any money. ("I have accrued quite an outstanding balance owed to me.") She could have paid you if she wanted to. She hasn't. You are working for free.

What you could do is advise her clients (if you know who they are) that she hasn't paid you. But she still won't pay you. You are not going to get paid. My suggestions: Cut your ties from this freeloader before you regret it even more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

First off, thank you for your comment... greatly appreciated! & not to be rude, but I don't like being referred to as 'buddy'~ I'm a 51 year old woman! I have also talked to my husband about this as he lived in Germany while serving in the Army for almost 8 years & still to date, knows quite a few people over there. He said that he can easily have friends of his over there hook us up with an attorney.
I do also have more than 300 email contacts of which I could get the word out to if need be!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

61 months ago

I am also 51 years old, and a woman.

I have been a legal assisant (litigation) in the United States for over 20 years. DO NOT do anything to jeopardize her tidbit business. You do not want to cause any problems, any more than you have.

As a litigation legal assistant, I have over 20 years of experience in litigation. I know the law. I also have a paralegal degree and took business litigation as part of my paralegal degree.

Straight to the point. Sounds good that you can get an attorney in Germany. If she is in Germany and her business is in Germany, that helps. Maybe the attorney can persuade her to pay you. How much is it going to cost you financially to even attempt to collect any money? It will probably cost you more than what she owes you. Whatever - Buddy - from a legal standpoint -

She is in Germany. You are in the United States. She has no legal obligation to pay you one penny.

I suggest you get a legal consultation from an attorney where you live, one who specializes in business law, and get a consultation. It may cost you about $300.00 (he won't do it for free) - and get a real legal opinion.

Do not do any more work for this woman. If you have work she is waiting for from you, tell her you will not be providing anything until you get compensation for your work.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: I am also 51 years old, and a woman.

I have been a legal assisant (litigation) in the United States for over 20 years. DO NOT do anything to jeopardize her tidbit business. You do not want to cause any problems, any more than you have.

As a litigation legal assistant, I have over 20 years of experience in litigation. I know the law. I also have a paralegal degree and took business litigation as part of my paralegal degree.

Straight to the point. Sounds good that you can get an attorney in Germany. If she is in Germany and her business is in Germany, that helps. Maybe the attorney can persuade her to pay you. How much is it going to cost you financially to even attempt to collect any money? It will probably cost you more than what she owes you. Whatever - Buddy - from a legal standpoint -

She is in Germany. You are in the United States. She has no legal obligation to pay you one penny.

I suggest you get a legal consultation from an attorney where you live, one who specializes in business law, and get a consultation. It may cost you about $300.00 (he won't do it for free) - and get a real legal opinion.

Do not do any more work for this woman. If you have work she is waiting for from you, tell her you will not be providing anything until you get compensation for your work.

Good luck.

Maybe someone can shed a little light here... Where can you find legitimate virtual assistant positions when you don't have money for advertising or promoting of my company? I've looked at various websites such as Elance & Guru, but with the economy as it is, there are MANY who have 'paid' memberships that are all bidding for the same work. It seems as though unless you have money to pay for higher ranked memberships or money to advertise, there's not much hope :o(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

I am gathering from your post, that you're referring to PrePaid Legal~ I was a Director with them about 7 years ago and I know that they can not help with international issues, but thanks anyway.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.