Top virtual assistant skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every virtual assistant must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your virtual assistant expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Virtual Assistant in Tacoma, Washington

99 months ago

Again, Virtual Assistants don't get "jobs;" they land clients.

Jobs are for employees and telecommuters.

The top 3 skills/traits of a successful Virtual Assistant business owner/service provider are:

1. At least 5 years upper level, real world administrative experience.
2. Excellent business sense (this will be hones as you develop your business)
3. Excellent written & verbal communication ability; interpersonal communication skills; people skills; independent & critical thinking ability.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

VA in Wenatchee, Washington

87 months ago

"At least 5 years upper level, real world administrative experience."

I'm going to strongly disagree with this one...there are so many VAs who thrive without corporate or upper level admin experience (including myself :) ) Just my two cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Karen Thomsen in Wautoma, Wisconsin

87 months ago

The input is good, no matter what the opinion. It is good to know that you can "thrive" without upper level admin experience. Although I have many years of experience, I have others interested in creating a business in the "Virtual Assistant" world, who are very talented and goal oriented. Thank you for your comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Want to be a VA in Rome, Georgia

85 months ago

Tacoma, thank you for the clarification. I have actually been reading all threads on this website and have gained a great deal of informatino from them.
I am finding YOU have a WEALTH of knowledge and information to share. I do not wish to do telecommuting, no, but I do want to pursue my own business and this is business will be perfect for me. I will continue my research and hopefully within a year's time will be able to start my business. Thank you so much for all your help. You may be hearing from me again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Reliable VA in Bronx, New York

85 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every virtual assistant must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your virtual assistant expertise?

I believe the top 3 skills that are critical for a VA's success are:

A Virtual Assistant's role is extremely task oriented and time sensitive, therefore strong organization/project management skills.

Excellent interpersonal communication skills are necessary to effectively communicate and deliver a product at or above the clients' expactations.

1-2 years, business management experience with strong computer based skills or 2-3 years experience within an administrative role

Since traits and skills are not necessarily the same, the top 3 traits should be:

Reliability - deliver what you promise, when you promise

High moral standards, ie strong work ethic, confidentiality, honesty

Creative, real "go getter" personality

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Student studying V Office in Kingston, Jamaica

79 months ago

do you have a virtual office? if yes, where is your virtual office located and what equipment do you have? what software do you use? if no, do u know anyone who could answer these for me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Student studying V Office in Kingston, Jamaica

79 months ago

how do you continue to grow professionally? what tips would you give a virtual worker?

Virtual Office in Kingston, New York

72 months ago

I agree with your first two points. Reliability and a good work ethic is very important. In my case, you need to be able to be able to understand different types of businesses, multitask and prioritize but then it is imperative to able to switch gears at a moment's notice since my office functions as the office of multiple clients.

Reliable VA in Bronx, New York said: I believe the top 3 skills that are critical for a VA's success are:

A Virtual Assistant's role is extremely task oriented and time sensitive, therefore strong organization/project management skills.

Excellent interpersonal communication skills are necessary to effectively communicate and deliver a product at or above the clients' expactations.

1-2 years, business management experience with strong computer based skills or 2-3 years experience within an administrative role

Since traits and skills are not necessarily the same, the top 3 traits should be:

Reliability - deliver what you promise, when you promise

High moral standards, ie strong work ethic, confidentiality, honesty

Creative, real "go getter" personality

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

stuckinnovascotia in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

68 months ago

Does anyone know of any websites for how to market a virtual assistant business both in print and electronically.

I will be starting in the new year. I almost have my business plan done but need help with marketing.

ellathinks in Makati, Philippines

67 months ago

1. Patient
2. Sensible
3. Can work under pressure

mike_va in Davao City, Philippines

66 months ago

A VA must me:
1. Honest
2. Hardworking
3. Trustworthy

Casebourn in Indianapolis, Indiana

51 months ago

How can I go about getting appropriate training to do the work of a virtual assistant?

Virtual Assistant in Tacoma, Washington

51 months ago

There isn't training to do the work. That only comes from having administrative support experience in the real world. That's the basis upon which you start your administrative support business. You have to rememember, being a Virtual Assistant isn't a job. It's a business. You wouldn't start a construction business without knowing already what you're doing, right? Same idea. You can't sell a service you have no expertise is and the VA community expects you to have the appropriate experience.

If you aren't trying to start a business, I think what you really want to look at is telecommuting (which is not Virtual Assistance). Telecommuting is where you are employed by a company but work remotely from home. But again, most staffing firms still need you to have experience or you simply aren't going to have the skills needed to adequately support clients and make them happy. Their work is important to them. They don't have time-and don't want to pay--to be your guinea pig.

Not trying to be discouraging, but you have to understand this is a business and a profession. Not anyone can do it and it's not for everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

jakobt in Davao, Philippines

51 months ago

A VA should keep in mind that professionalism must always be first and foremost. He or she should be able to meet the client's demands and produce high quality output. This would not only ensure his survival in this business but a repeat clientele as well.

Ashley in Elkhart, Indiana

42 months ago

Hello,

I need to interview a Virtual Assistant. And was wondering if you could help me with this? The interview is for my Office and Team Dynimacs Class. The questions consist of things like, How did you become a Virtual Assistant, what type of education and experiences did you have to have, where is you workplace located and challenges you face. If you could help this would be greatly appriecated!! (I could email you the list of questions if you are interested)

Thanks.
Ashley

ReliableVA in Bronx, New York

42 months ago

Ashley in Elkhart, Indiana said: Hello,

I need to interview a Virtual Assistant. And was wondering if you could help me with this? The interview is for my Office and Team Dynimacs Class. The questions consist of things like, How did you become a Virtual Assistant, what type of education and experiences did you have to have, where is you workplace located and challenges you face. If you could help this would be greatly appriecated!! (I could email you the list of questions if you are interested)

Thanks.
Ashley

Hi Ashley,
I'm happy to help if you still need assistance. You may email your questions to me at Contact@reliableva.com

Robert Granham in Cary, North Carolina

40 months ago

The top 3 traits every virtual assistant must have:

1.Responsible

2.Self-driven

3.Communicative

HelpOn Business Services in Singapore, Singapore

25 months ago

Virtual Assistant

Receptionist role – Our assistants can greet customers on the phone, redirect calls appropriately, take messages and also screen your calls, according to your requirements.

Social media management – While not taking calls, our assistants can keep your business’s social profile busy, making posts and status updates that keep your customers updated, informed and excited with offers and news that you provide.

Company representative – Our Assistants can responsibly act as a company representative, talking to just about anybody that your company needs to speak to, in a professional and instructed manner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

infinityweb

5 months ago

Hi there!
Virtual Assistant takes the trend nowadays.For you to be an effective VA you should be dedicated in giving your best shot in every work given by your client. You should be hardworking. Creativity is also an ace in a virtual assistant because a lot of clients are looking for an creative insights and suggestions regarding your task.Developing expertise develop due to striving more to learn by reading a lot, researching and also due to experience. For more insights of the characteristics and expertise should a virtual assistant should know infinity-web-solutions.com/virtual-assistant/

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.