Boom or bust?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most visual merchandiser opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Lansing, Michigan

61 months ago

I think with visual jobs- either they're so scarce or there's a dime a dozen. It just depends on the time of year and the financial status of that particular company. Usually the larger department stores and discount stores will have more of a visual team- and it's usually in the larger cities such as Detroit and Grand Rapids, MI for example. (or obviously NY and LA)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Spring in Jacksonville, Florida

61 months ago

Visual positions are not great right now. I work for a company who had a strong visual emphasis. I will find out today for certain, but it looks like I will be going to part time.

I have looked for a replacement position... everything I have found is part time right now.

So... for now, I would have to go with bust... :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

candace f in Las Vegas, Nevada

59 months ago

Yes I would also agree that in these hard economic times the Visual department is one of the first to go. Whethere its downsizing the dept as a whole or cutting lower position hours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

andrea in Issaquah, Washington

56 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most visual merchandiser opportunities?

Well, I was laid-off back in October. I saw it coming. Saw sales were low for the third quarter and there were likely to be cuts. If I was a business owner, I would cut visual too. You don't want the customers felling that there was downsizing. If you cut sales people ....customers will notice and sales will suffer further.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dara Slaughter in New York, New York

55 months ago

Yes this is so true! VMM position ARE NOT very easy to come by. If you have a position w/ a great company do what it take to stay. I believe NYC and California has the most visual merchandiser position. However, the hours are long. But once you get bitten by the merchandising bug... you don't mind the hours.:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.