Boom or bust?

Comments (6)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most visual merchandiser opportunities?

Ray in Lansing, Michigan

70 months ago

I think with visual jobs- either they're so scarce or there's a dime a dozen. It just depends on the time of year and the financial status of that particular company. Usually the larger department stores and discount stores will have more of a visual team- and it's usually in the larger cities such as Detroit and Grand Rapids, MI for example. (or obviously NY and LA)

Spring in Jacksonville, Florida

70 months ago

Visual positions are not great right now. I work for a company who had a strong visual emphasis. I will find out today for certain, but it looks like I will be going to part time.

I have looked for a replacement position... everything I have found is part time right now.

So... for now, I would have to go with bust... :(

candace f in Las Vegas, Nevada

68 months ago

Yes I would also agree that in these hard economic times the Visual department is one of the first to go. Whethere its downsizing the dept as a whole or cutting lower position hours.

andrea in Issaquah, Washington

65 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most visual merchandiser opportunities?

Well, I was laid-off back in October. I saw it coming. Saw sales were low for the third quarter and there were likely to be cuts. If I was a business owner, I would cut visual too. You don't want the customers felling that there was downsizing. If you cut sales people ....customers will notice and sales will suffer further.

Dara Slaughter in New York, New York

64 months ago

Yes this is so true! VMM position ARE NOT very easy to come by. If you have a position w/ a great company do what it take to stay. I believe NYC and California has the most visual merchandiser position. However, the hours are long. But once you get bitten by the merchandising bug... you don't mind the hours.:)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.