Can I get a job in Rehabilitative Counseling with a MA in Counseling?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Lisa in Waterford, Michigan

75 months ago

I am currently enrolled in a community counseling program and will graduate sometime in 2009 with a MA in Counseling. I have developed a keen interest in rehabilitative counseling and have tried to look up information about what it would take to get a job in this field, but there is so much information I find it overwhelming. My questions are as follows:

1. Do I have to have a degree in Rehabilitative counseling to get a job in that field or will an MA in Counseling be sufficient?
2. If a MA in counseling is sufficient, what steps would I have to take to become CRC certified?
3. Are there any programs that offer a certificate program to those individuals that have a MA in counseling and want to obtain add'l education to get CRC certified?

I have started my internship yet so I am thinking that would be an opportunity to look for something specific to rehabilitative counseling. Any suggestions for places I could target?

Any information would be helpful, especially if it particularly targets the state of Michigan. Thanks in advance to those who respond!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lindsay in Valley Stream, New York

75 months ago

Lisa in Waterford, Michigan said: I am currently enrolled in a community counseling program and will graduate sometime in 2009 with a MA in Counseling. I have developed a keen interest in rehabilitative counseling and have tried to look up information about what it would take to get a job in this field, but there is so much information I find it overwhelming. My questions are as follows:

1. Do I have to have a degree in Rehabilitative counseling to get a job in that field or will an MA in Counseling be sufficient?
2. If a MA in counseling is sufficient, what steps would I have to take to become CRC certified?
3. Are there any programs that offer a certificate program to those individuals that have a MA in counseling and want to obtain add'l education to get CRC certified?

I have started my internship yet so I am thinking that would be an opportunity to look for something specific to rehabilitative counseling. Any suggestions for places I could target?

Any information would be helpful, especially if it particularly targets the state of Michigan. Thanks in advance to those who respond!

I would go to the state website and look through the information posted in the Department of Vocational Rehabilitatipn. Maybe go visit some of the offices, and check out if there are any positions open and check the requirements. I would also suggest looking into www.crccertification.com, which gives the requirements to sit for the CRC (Certified Rehab Counselor) exam...this might be helpful in determining how to get into the field without a specific Rehab degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Nellysford, Virginia

72 months ago

Visit any college that has a master's program in vocational rehabilitation counseling. The teachers there will know the score on career opportunities, especially local ones. In general, I think the better degree is the MSW, as it provides many more options in human-service careers. Good luck.

kelly in Detroit, Michigan

52 months ago

yes Wayne State univ. has CRC certificate program

Renee in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

Michigan State University has the #1 Rehabilitation Counseling program in the country

D.B. Prutting in Colorado Springs, Colorado

47 months ago

Lisa in Waterford, Michigan said: I am currently enrolled in a community counseling program and will graduate sometime in 2009 with a MA in Counseling. I have developed a keen interest in rehabilitative counseling and have tried to look up information about what it would take to get a job in this field, but there is so much information I find it overwhelming. My questions are as follows:

check with CRCC at their website and they will tell you if your degree meets the criteria to sit for the exam to become a CRC [Certified Rehabilitation Counselor].

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Crystal Eusebio in Los Angeles, California

39 months ago

Have you find out the answer to your question #1 because I'm also considering that as well. If you do know, let me know! =)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.