Tips for vocational rehabilitation counselor interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming vocational rehabilitation counselor interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Lorraine (not my real name) in Saint Augustine, Florida

86 months ago

Well, I got the following questions a lot.
1.) What are your professional strengths and weaknesseses?
2.) How is an individual determined eligible for services?
3.) Explain your definition of confidentiality.
4.) What kinds of information do you have to obtain from the client in an initial interview?
I got a lot of scenarios too. You have to be specific but you have to keep it short and simple too. If they don't like your answer, you can't go back to the question later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (63) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Curt Lamarr in Columbus, Ohio

84 months ago

Hello.

I will interviewing for a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor position in the next few weeks. I don't have direct experience in this area, but I have related experience having worked as a college academic counselor.

My question is: My upcoming interview is a three part interview. The first part is a timed critical thinking test. The second part is a list of interview questions, and the last part is an 5 minute oral presentation on why I should get the position.

I can handled part three, but I could use some advice on part one, the critical thinking section.

Would you have some idea of what types of questions are likely to be asked on the critical thinking section?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

I hope you have better luck than I did. The critical thinking questions are usually scenarios of clients with different disabilities and how you would handle different situations with them. You might also have to be have a good knowledge of history of acts like the ADA, Rehabilitation Act of 1973, etc. and know how they have an impact on the client's rehabilitation services. But scenarios I've had a lot of. I can't think of anything specific off the top of my head, sorry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Oh, and what I mentioned before about knowing a definition of confidentiality is important too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kurt Lamarr in Reynoldsburg, Ohio

84 months ago

Thank you for your comments Lorraine (whatever your name is..lol)

Kurt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Danny D. in Cleveland, Texas

81 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming vocational rehabilitation counselor interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

In Texas, the hiring manager informed me that there were ten questions that had been asked of every interviewee since VR started and further that they would always be asked - the same ones. I can't remember them but questions such as already remarked about, the confidentiality definition, but also Name and define two different disabilities; and so on about counseling strategies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lindsay in Valley Stream, New York

81 months ago

I know in NY their interview process was very heavy on consumer choice and informed choice with a lot of "what would you do" scenarios. They didn't expect you to throw around a lot of facts but be able to back up why you would do what you would do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Provo, Utah

21 months ago

Thanks for all this information! I've been looking into an institute for chemical dependency (www.olalla.org/chemical-dependency/addiction) in Seattle, WA for my brother and I wasn't sure what kind of process he would have to go through. Thanks for sharing!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.