Getting ahead...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a hirable vp of human resources? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective vp of human resources?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

An SVP in Reston, VA

95 months ago

In my opinion the best training for the HR job is the law, which teaches you how to analyze a problem, a disciplined approach to detail, and fairness. Couple that with an MBA and you possess the "value proposition"!
I know some companies like SHRM certifications. SHRM provides people with good basic knowledge, but it does not develop the powers of analysis, ethics, and business sense that are the among the core competencies of leadership.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roxie Vogt in Pleasanton, California

58 months ago

An SVP in Reston, VA said: In my opinion the best training for the HR job is the law, which teaches you how to analyze a problem, a disciplined approach to detail, and fairness. Couple that with an MBA and you possess the "value proposition"!
I know some companies like SHRM certifications. SHRM provides people with good basic knowledge, but it does not develop the powers of analysis, ethics, and business sense that are the among the core competencies of leadership.

I agree with the comment above. Although I attended the training for the SHRM certification and did not take the exam I was surprised by the quality and experience of some of those who passed the exam and still did not have the same level of expertise that I would expect of a senior level human resources professional. Experience, understanding the law, application of principals and developing core competencies in leadership is the way to the VP position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.