Hourly pay question

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 158 of 158)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

glenny21

43 months ago

As long as you are making minimum wage with tips included, its all good. If, for some reason, you don't receive enough tips to make minimum wage, your employer is required by law to pay you the difference. I looked it up.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Austin, Texas

39 months ago

My manager recently brought to our attention the fact that we, as servers, are not claiming enough in tips. I use the Aloha POS system and at the end of the night, I only enter one amount for my declared tips. In other words, I cannot input values for credit cards tips versus cash tips, or other values such as tipshare. Since I make predominately credit card tips, the amount of money I actually walk away with is less than that of my declared credit card tips, after a 4% tipshare. Basically, I'm claiming less in total than what's been declared previously in credit card tips alone. Why should I claim 100% of credit card tips if I'm not walking with 100% of them, especially if the bartenders, back servers, etc. are paying taxes on the tipshare (I presume)? I've kept records since the first day I began serving at my current restaurant. To date, I've claimed 84.33% of the total tips I've made. Am I "in the green" so to speak on this one? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Reply - Report abuse

LYNNEHUNT80@*****.*** in Farmville, North Carolina

39 months ago

I KNOW A WAITRESS IN HILLSBOROUGH NC AND SHE TOLD ME HER BOSS TOLD HER SHE MADE TOO MUCH MONEY SO HE HAD TO ZERO OUT HER CHECK FOR THE 2 WEEK PERIOD.HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING...THIS HAS HAPPENED TO NOT ONLY HER BUY SOME OF HER CO-WORKERS AS WELL.I FEEL HES DOING THEM WRONG,CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I'M ASSUMING RIGHT BEFORE I TAKE IT ANY FURTHER!!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

k in Twin Falls, Idaho

39 months ago

Wendy in Akron, Ohio said: I make $3.55 and hour and I make about $50-$100 a night. I claim about 3/4 of what I make in tips and I had to pay taxes this year! I am not sure whether I am claiming too much of my tips or too little. Does anyone know why I have to pay taxes this year?

where I live I claim 8 percent of my till or my credit card tips, which ever is higher.. A good rule is to follow your paper trail. The more you make, the more they take. you have to pay because they arent holding enough taxes. Claim yourself and kids if you have them on your taxes and just claim credit card tips at the end of your shift and you should balance out. I make min wage but with tips about 14 hr., weekends 27-30 hr. and holidays about 40hr. its really not that bad ! lol

Reply - Report abuse

lstraveler in Harvey, Louisiana

21 months ago

Stan in Fayetteville, Arkansas said: Oh yeah, I realized that I forgot to mention this earlier: A 16% gratuity is still listed on the tickets and paid by the members on everything that they purchase. But, the staff doesn't see a dime of that money and the members don't realize that the tip they're paying is not for the service they received. One of the employees tried to confront the management about this seemingly strange situation with questions like "Where does that money go?" and "Do the members know about this?" but he was immediately fired. Sounds fishy, huh? Regardless, I left the place because I felt like I was working under a bunch of crooks. I would still like to correct the situation if I can because I don't like seeing that kind of behavior go on unchecked. So, is the 16% "gratuity" that the management receives taxed differently and could lead to IRS trouble, or is this just bad business and blatantly lying to their customers?

Yes this is crooked on the new owners part, I would look elsewhere for employment and on the way out the door be sure the club members are made aware of this change, i'm sure it will cause an uproar but it needs to!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

GB in Overland Park, Kansas

9 months ago

bear in Piedmont, South Carolina said: Its called IRS

Lol, you're supposed to claim your taxes. Idiot. "I commit tax evasion then post about it online!" :P

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

coffeeeat in Morley, Michigan

6 months ago

Afton in Billings, Montana said: I am not required by my employer to report tips but I want to on my taxes so that I dont get in trouble. How do I do this on my tax form does anyone know?

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-access/f4070_accessible.pdf

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

P. Mann in Woodhaven, New York

4 months ago

Nono in Newark, Delaware said: no they can't. but you should comfront them if you ever have any questions about your pay check and tip claims . there really needs to be an orgaization just for tipped/more specifically restaurant tipped employees for this kind of inquiry. Most people just aren't sure of what their legal rights are and the employers much too often take advantage, knowing this which in some cases reflect on those employees who are hired. If anyone knows of any such organization, please let us know. Thanks in advance!

You probably should speak to a lawyer before confronting your boss. At minimum, if you get fired for this, your concerns are already on record.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.