CAPTURING WAREHOUSE LOCATIONS AFTER MATERIAL RECEIVING

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

RONNIE WHITE

87 months ago

I HAVE BEEN IN A DEPATE WITH THE MANAGEMENT ON HOW THE WAREHOUSE LOCATIONS SHOULD BE CAUGHT ON NEW ITEMS THAT WE ARE NOW STOCKING. THE SHEET THAT NOW PRINTS OUT CATCHES ALL OF THE ITEMS THAT HAVE WAREHOUSE LOCATIONS LOADED ON THEM. BUT NEW ITEMS THAT COME DOESNT HAVE A LOCATION ON THEM. THE MANAGEMENT IS WANTING TO DO AWAY WITH THIS PUTAWAY SHEET THAT PRINTS AFTER THE RECEIVING PROCESS. THEY ARE WANTING TO TURN IT OFF FROM THE COMPUTER. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS HOW I CAN CAPTURE THE LOCATIONS OF THE NEW MATERIAL THAT WILL BE COMING IN WITHOUT WAREHOUSE LOCATIONS.
THANK YOU
RONNIE WHITE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

MX Shamrell in Scottsdale, Arizona

62 months ago

RONNIE WHITE said: I HAVE BEEN IN A DEPATE WITH THE MANAGEMENT ON HOW THE WAREHOUSE LOCATIONS SHOULD BE CAUGHT ON NEW ITEMS THAT WE ARE NOW STOCKING. THE SHEET THAT NOW PRINTS OUT CATCHES ALL OF THE ITEMS THAT HAVE WAREHOUSE LOCATIONS LOADED ON THEM. BUT NEW ITEMS THAT COME DOESNT HAVE A LOCATION ON THEM. THE MANAGEMENT IS WANTING TO DO AWAY WITH THIS PUTAWAY SHEET THAT PRINTS AFTER THE RECEIVING PROCESS. THEY ARE WANTING TO TURN IT OFF FROM THE COMPUTER. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS HOW I CAN CAPTURE THE LOCATIONS OF THE NEW MATERIAL THAT WILL BE COMING IN WITHOUT WAREHOUSE LOCATIONS.
THANK YOU
RONNIE WHITE

Based on what I believe your dilema is...
I would do the following:
1) Your system Doesn't need to list ALL items/SKU's that are stored.
2) For putaway of new items (and/or replemishment of existing items), you only need to list ONLY the OPEN (empty) locations - not all currently occupied storage slots.
3) Based on any storage characteristics of the items being stored (fragile, hazardous, density, fragrance, height of pallet stack, width of pallet load, etc.) and the various size of OPEN storage slots (if you have different size slots), your system should DIRECT the OPERATOR to a SPECIFIC open slot for putaway during receiving.
4) The advantages of this "directed putaway" are:
A) Much faster putaway time.
B) A built in "cycle count" for constantly verifying available locations. If there is something in a slot that the system says is empty, you have just found an inventory/slot error. (The pallet in the wrong slot needs to be removed and placed where it is supposed to be). I would bet you have items that are NOT in the slot where your system thinks they are!!
5) Directed putaway will save lots of paper (Not printing ALL locations)and save some CPU time by only dealing with empty locations available. (Set an empty/full flag in the location master file data base and you can rock n'roll).
Regards,
MXS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.