Delivery accuracy... what's your technique?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

wine guy in Troutville, Virginia

83 months ago

Lately, our warehouse has been having issues with items appearing to have been shipped out of the warehouse (inventory matches up fine), but yet the drivers and/or customers are saying that it's not on the truck. There's nowhere between our packing floor and the truck that the wine could be lost in transition. So it's leaving us baffled. Without blaming the driver or customer for "theft", we're racking our brains trying to come up with some sort of solution to this problem.

Hoping someone out there might have a solution. Between the packing floor, and the trucks, are there extra steps you all are taking to insure accuracy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

marty

81 months ago

its being stolen wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wine guy in Troutville, Virginia

81 months ago

We really don't think that's it. We don't have cameras in our trucks, so of course, there's no way to really KNOW for sure, but it's an assumption based on our gut instinct about the drivers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shipping guy in Rochester, Michigan

79 months ago

Did customer sign on the invoice document? and or was this item too valuable? if it is then more likely customer is the one.

wine guy in Fincastle, Virginia

79 months ago

It's never really the same item. If it were, we could pinpoint it. And it's never really one driver. Out of this past week's packing errors, 6 of the 9 were shown as "item not shipped". I just don't see how this can continuously happen.

wine guy in Fincastle, Virginia

79 months ago

Thank you for that input. We will have to look into this.

avatar37 in Hollister, California

78 months ago

Judging from the amount of time (=money) you have spent so far, it might be cost-effective to invest in a barcode (or RFID) system similar to what UPS uses. Turnkey systems are available that can track inventory from initial receipt to customer receipt (and steps in-between)- basically a documented, chain-of-custody system much like that used in processing forensic evidence.

The upside: increase inventory accuracy, fewer data entry errors, less shrink, more control, better customer service/satisfaction.
The downside: cost; initial set-up can be very labor-intensive; you might need to upgrade your computer system.

bradley moller in Boca Raton, Florida

72 months ago

wine guy in Troutville, Virginia said: Lately, our warehouse has been having issues with items appearing to have been shipped out of the warehouse (inventory matches up fine), but yet the drivers and/or customers are saying that it's not on the truck. There's nowhere between our packing floor and the truck that the wine could be lost in transition. So it's leaving us baffled. Without blaming the driver or customer for "theft", we're racking our brains trying to come up with some sort of solution to this problem.

Hoping someone out there might have a solution. Between the packing floor, and the trucks, are there extra steps you all are taking to insure accuracy?

If your inventory is tight you should be conducting "truck short" audits everyday.That is, if you go back the day after and the inventory is correct ( assumeing your inventory system pluses up inventory based on the "short" credit)that means the item left the building.If the inventory reflects a gain (plus)that means the selector left it in the slot.Atruck short can only be 2 things: a selector or driver/customer.Inventory is the key.

cere1964@hotmail.com in Strongsville, Ohio

46 months ago

First of all, I would ensure the basic steps are being followed and procedures are being met. Secondly, I would implement a procedure that, at least until the problem is identified, that every order ticket is verified by the Warehouse Supervisor/Manager after the order is filled but before it is packed for shipping. Thirdly, the same procedure is then followed after the order is packed and put onto a pallet. Before the skid is wrapped, carton count each skid and mark that on the bill of lading. And fourth, I would make sure the driver counts each carton on every skid and mark that on the bill of lading. Some drivers may gripe about that but it is their responsibility to count each carton anyway, and most drivers don't count. The important thing is to verify and document each step. I had experienced the same issue several times and those are the same protocols I implemented and it eventually solved the problem. And each one was unique in cause but it nevertheless solved the mysteries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

igoesz@yahoo.com in Commerce, Georgia

36 months ago

cere1964 has good procedures , there were times when I would meet the truck at various stops and be sure that the the procedures were being followed. I also vidoed the loading of the truck

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.