Getting a warehouse manager job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

How did you get your start doing warehouse manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

mike ellingsworth in Citrus Heights, California

77 months ago

do you need a degree in business to be a manager?if so do you provide an educational program to receive a business degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Saint Louis, Missouri

73 months ago

The biggest advice I can give (I am a logistical manager for a very large company overseeing 4 departments and 400+ employees) is education. Won't get anywhere without it. Sure you will see some slide through with 30+ years of experience without it but without education... most of your fork lift operators will probably make more than you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

meanslight in Brooklyn, New York

72 months ago

Chris in Saint Louis, Missouri said: The biggest advice I can give (I am a logistical manager for a very large company overseeing 4 departments and 400+ employees) is education. Won't get anywhere without it. Sure you will see some slide through with 30+ years of experience without it but without education... most of your fork lift operators will probably make more than you.

why is that so important , under which challenging situation did you see that 'education" did it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shepherd in Baltimore, Maryland

72 months ago

meanslight in Brooklyn, New York said: why is that so important , under which challenging situation did you see that 'education" did it

I agree with Chris! After 10 years of eating 90 hrs a week with no return. I resigned! Now I'm sitting applying for a entry level job!
The problem is that the company compensate the hourly employee, but not the salaried manager!I held four management position at once!Now the company is paying over $250,000 a year to cover my absence!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim Harris in Livingston, Tennessee

62 months ago

Education is a help, but to be a successful warehouse manager you got to know what you are doing. Most manufacturing companies that search out a warehouse manager want someone to take over and make warehouse problems go away. They want to put their time in on working on the manufacturing proceses and the product they sell. Many manufacturing operations have little knowledge in the warehouse operation and they want someone who can step up and deal with that part of the business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.