My sex shouldn't matter, nor where I'm from, so long as I get the job done.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Elaine Hester

87 months ago

I am a welder proficient in mig, stick, fluxcore, sub arc and pipe welding. I love my job. I work on ships and i love being on or next to the water. What is the big deal about me working in the yard. I get along with my crew, or crews. It's always management that has a problem with me. I mean, what's up with that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Knoxville, Georgia

87 months ago

You are right, it shouldn't matter, legally but what you have to realize is that some jobs are simply more macho than others and attract that sort of people. I would imagine that a skinny computer geek type guy would probably be harassed a bit more than the average shipyard welder no matter how great he was at sticking metal together.

The other side of the coin is that some of those macho guys you work with may be distracted by having a beautiful woman working within eyesight with her head covered in a hood and only the shape of her butt to indicate her femininity. Management probably notices the slow down due to distraction and discussion about you.

In my opinion, even though they changed the laws so a woman can go for any job she pleases, it does not mean every person in the company is that liberal minded. I think it is ridiculous for a woman to even want to do such a job. To me it is the same as a man who chooses to be a bra salesman. Why?

I am a fair minded person, so here is your opportunity to discuss the matter with someone who feels the same as the managers but I can't fire you so tell me why you even chose such a "manly" job in the first place?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

S in Stamford, Connecticut

87 months ago

Elaine Hester said: I am a welder proficient in mig, stick, fluxcore, sub arc and pipe welding. I love my job. I work on ships and i love being on or next to the water. What is the big deal about me working in the yard. I get along with my crew, or crews. It's always management that has a problem with me. I mean, what's up with that?

I envy you.

mike martino in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

Elaine Hester said: I am a welder proficient in mig, stick, fluxcore, sub arc and pipe welding. I love my job. I work on ships and i love being on or next to the water. What is the big deal about me working in the yard. I get along with my crew, or crews. It's always management that has a problem with me. I mean, what's up with that?

I am always in need of good welders.Ive got a job in Washington right now. I need 15 6g stick welders 2" xx pipe. Some heliarc. I need people by Oct. 1st 2007 job is 2 to 3 weeks $ 30.00 hr $60.00 pdm $ 500.00 completion bonus. 6 10s with Sunday per diem. Call 281-479-6200 refer to this posting ask for Anna or Doree. Must pass weld test and have DISA

mike martino in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

We do not discriminate if you are an excellent welder we have the business.I also have 150 welders and fitters available
November 1 2007 for new tank construction or Shipyard repair.These men will not last long.Do to the shortage of skilled craftsmen in the USA I am bringing these men in from Viet Nam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Guy in Singapore, Singapore

77 months ago

mike martino in Houston, Texas said: We do not discriminate if you are an excellent welder we have the business.I also have 150 welders and fitters available
November 1 2007 for new tank construction or Shipyard repair.These men will not last long.Do to the shortage of skilled craftsmen in the USA I am bringing these men in from Viet Nam.

Do Vietnam have qualified and cerified welders? I heard there is problem due to they do not have skilled welders. Why don't consider welder Certified by Singapore? I have 6G welders to supply and I am looking for Vietnam market as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

TheOriginalSkeeter in Norfolk, Virginia

65 months ago

America has plenty of skilled craftsmen... but people aren't hiring us. I am a USN veteran with IT skills and finishing up my welding cert and ASME quals in TCC Portsmouth. It is rather hard pressed for me to find a job when I get out of school for welding, nonetheless the communications field.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.