Rig Welding Jobs In Alberta

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 414)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Alberta Rig Welder in Red Deer, Alberta

74 months ago

Me and My father-In-Law have a small company with 2 Rigs and a Picker Truck but have not been able to find work since December.

Anyone know of any hireing happening in Ft McMurray or around Central Alberta?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (126) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

Dwatson in Red Deer, Alberta

74 months ago

Alberta Rig Welder in Red Deer, Alberta said: Me and My father-In-Law have a small company with 2 Rigs and a Picker Truck but have not been able to find work since December.

One you spelled hiring incorrectly Two Cord in Blackfalds near Red Deer is looking for rig welders.... check into it....good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

PPW in Nipawin, Saskatchewan

73 months ago

Ft Mac was on a gradual slow down up until Xmas. In Jan just about everything completely got shelved....well at least until crude prices come back up. Voyager, Albian, Fort Hills, etc are all pretty much dead, at least compared to what was expected to be happening now. No signs as of yet that i know of of any major hiring up there yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

arctig in Lloydminster, Alberta

69 months ago

the welding business in lloyd dryed up here also i have worked only 10 days since feb 10 but was lucky to have had 5 months of steady work up till then to all you young dudes out there get a job in a shop rig welding is ok if you have an in with someone and no debt load

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

unemployed rig welder in Fort Defiance, Arizona

69 months ago

Been out of work for two months. Looking for rig welding jobs. Anyone out there know of any companies looking for a combo rig welder, I'm set and ready to work! email with ironwater21@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Apprentice in Calgary, Alberta

69 months ago

Has anyone looked @ www.jobbank.gc.ca? There are lots of welding jobs for B-Pressure, one company is looking for 6 rig welders. Bantrel is looking for 85 for Fort Sask.....Flint is advertising the job I want, B-Pressure, 21 days in 7 out but I'm only 1st year unemployed apprentice. Does anyone know, if any of these companies, (like last year,in busy times) hire 1st year apprentices? Or was everyone too busy to take the time to train, 1st year welders? Amazing how the newspapers around Calgary area, talk of how there will be shortage of trades in a few years but no one wants to take the time to train now. I called unions, but you have to have a job first! I knew this would be tough go to get started... I'm beginning to understand why there will be a shortage of trades!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pressure-welder in Nipawin, Saskatchewan

69 months ago

Lots of companies including Flint etc will hire first year welders, as helpers! Problem is there is nothing for you to weld. I have always said that industrial is no place to apprentice as you have no weld time. Some places will allow apprentices to weld structural with a CWB all position, but most require a red seal. Other than that, in industrial, you will be pulling cables, handing rod or working with the laborers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Yes, I pipeline about 30% of the time. No, you can not weld on the pipeline, anywhere without a red seal! It is actually hard for pressure welders to even get on the pipeline sometimes because they are looking for downhand experienced people which is very different from uphand welding as you would do in facility jobs. I have spent 10 years in Alberta working on pipeline and facility jobs for all the major (and some minor) companies. I see many apprentices come on the job with us expecting to weld "something", it won't happen unless your welder is willing to break the rules and let you weld and he claim it. It RARELY happens as it would mean the welder would be immediately fired and possibly black listed if caught. I know i have never liked a helper that much to risk my job for him!

This is honestly the best advice you can get, as it is the same advice that was given to me at your point in my career. GET A SHOP JOB! I know it is not what you want to hear but it is honestly the best advice you will hear!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Apprentice in Calgary, Alberta

69 months ago

Yes, you are right, not what I wanted to hear but finally some honesty about getting started in this trade. I have dropped off resumes in most shops in Calgary, nothing going on. I'm lucky, that my prevouis employer took me back as the mortgage payment won't wait! I would tell anyone in this economy not to spend 6,000.00 (and loss of income for 3 months) @ SAIT for pre-employment welders course. Just go the traditional way of getting hours first, then go to school. I'll will keep watching the papers and online, and maybe it might start picking up in the fall, for the local shops. Then maybe I can get on with this new trade! Thanks again for the honesty!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

I took a pre-employment welding course in Sask back in the mid 90's. It was 8 months and was tremendous in giving me the basics in most aspects of welding. I certainly wouldn't say that it was money poorly spent!! It may seem like that right now, but when there is more work, you will be picked over someone who has no experience. It is nice to have someone come into the shop or on site that you know has at least a minimum understanding of what we do. Your extensive experience in NDT will certainly help you as well!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

weldpig in Edmonton, Alberta said: FORGET ABOUT WELDING IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

BEEN A RIG WELDER FOR ALMOST TEN YRS.B-PRESSURE.
ITS BECOME A CUT THROAT BUSINESS WITH NO LOYALTY TO HARD WORKERS!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S DIRTY,LONG HRS.,UNHEALTHY,POOR WEATHER COND.,UNPREDICTABLE EMPLOYMENT AND YOU ARE TREATED LIKE SHAT BECAUSE EVERYONE THINKS YOU MAKE TOO MUCH.
UNLESS YOUR DADDY OWNS THE COMPANY YOUR SCREWED!!!!!!!!

GO POUND NAILS OR PULL WIRES ..........IT'S STEADY CLEAN WORK!!!

i hear you pig and agree totally but sometimes aguy gets lucky and gets steady work im on my 3rd week of work in conklin and am damn happy to be in the mud and gettin eaten by blackflys camp is not to bad neither

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

629 in Fort Mcmurray, Alberta

68 months ago

weldpig in Edmonton, Alberta said: FORGET ABOUT WELDING IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

BEEN A RIG WELDER FOR ALMOST TEN YRS.B-PRESSURE.
ITS BECOME A CUT THROAT BUSINESS WITH NO LOYALTY TO HARD WORKERS!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S DIRTY,LONG HRS.,UNHEALTHY,POOR WEATHER COND.,UNPREDICTABLE EMPLOYMENT AND YOU ARE TREATED LIKE SHAT BECAUSE EVERYONE THINKS YOU MAKE TOO MUCH.
UNLESS YOUR DADDY OWNS THE COMPANY YOUR SCREWED!!!!!!!!

GO POUND NAILS OR PULL WIRES ..........IT'S STEADY CLEAN WORK!!!

why didnt u quit if u dontlike it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

disco69 in Edmonton, Alberta

68 months ago

Anyone know of any pipeline work or field work? I have been off of work now for 6 months now and in desperate need of finding work. I have had my own welding business for 12 years now and been welding for 20 years. Anyone know of anything pleae let me know. Willing to work by hand, but would prefer to work with my own truck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

blacklisted in Edmonton, Alberta

68 months ago

Thanks for the reply, I guess. Firsts of all, when you refer to flint, I have worked for them before over the past several years on and off, just not in the oilsands. They already checked my resume, checked my references and employed me. It was just after they said they were sending the names of the employees that they would be sending to CNRL that they stopped all contact with me. As I said there isnt an issue with my resume or my references, as they already checked them and had previously employed me. So that excuse is out the window as far as I am concerned.
As with shell, explain why they emailed my friend with a contracting company, after us sending my resume twice, the first time they said there was a problem with my resume, the second said I was blacklisted. I am not supposed to have this email, at the bottom is says its proprietary or something and not to pass it on, but I have real friends and I do have a copy of this letter. Freedom of information requests to shell result in them saying they never heard of me, even though I have sent my resume and qualificaions to them twice.
So far your excuses, show that you fully didn't understand my first post, or you work in hr for one of these companies.
For you to believe that blacklists dont exist in the construction industry worldwide is naive. Heres a link for you to look at-

www.personneltoday.com/articles/2009/05/28/50871/construction-blacklister-to-be-sentenced-at-crown-court.html

I realize its not Canada, but you will get the idea. It is happening here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pressure_welder in Nipawin, Saskatchewan

68 months ago

Well, to me it sounds like if you never failed a D&A test, and your references are excellent, that the only solution is that you found a way to piss someone off in a company that employs 100s or 1000s of people yearly, that someone remembers you! I have been rig welding for 15 years in alberta, and the term blacklist is a general term. Unless you know someone that works for HR in one of these companies, you may never know the truth! Every site now does a background check on those that are being hired onto their sites...CNRL, Shell, Foster Creek, etc. So if something comes up in that such as a drug or alcohol charge, theft, vandalism, etc, then you would certinly be denied entry as well. Other than that try to make nicey nice with an HR person to get some insight. Then again, it could be one big conspiracy aimed at you...maybe they are watching you right now....wait, I've said too much already.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

blacklisted in Edmonton, Alberta

68 months ago

Look pressure welder, all you have offered is opinion. That is not what I am looking for. This is a serious matter. And for your comment

Then again, it could be one big conspiracy aimed at you...maybe they are watching you right now....wait, I've said too much already.....

Since you decided to offer nothing but your opinion and make light of the matter heres my opinion. You say you have been working in Alberta for 15 years, yet it shows you in sask. My opinion is that you are an out of work welder who has nothing better to do than offer opinions on something you think you know about but don't. At least I am working pal. Respond if you like, I am sure that your type will, but I am a bigger man than you and will not respond to an internet troll.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Blacklisted ... Sorry for poking fun. The 2 main reasons I don't believe that an organized blacklist exhists is, I was working for a large Alberta company, they had a pipefitter employed who was pre-fabbing spools. In a period of 5 days made 45 fitting mistakes (such as wrong orientation, way off square, etc), all the spools went to xray and somehow got past QC. Upon boltup they realized all the mistakes, all the joints had to be cut and repaired. He was canned, but was back on the same site 1 week later with a different company. He wasn't even banned from that site, non the less alberta. The other was a welder working for another larger company, the company had recently let the QC person go and was looking for another. They brought a new welder in, never did pre-job qualifiers, and went by his resume as there was no QC to check anything. He did 50+ 12" heavywall joints by the time they hired a new QC and they got around to catching up all the backlog of xrays. They stopped xraying his welds at 30 as it was a 85% repair/cutout rate. They had to bring in a team of 4 welders to repair all his work, it took 2 weeks, it was well over a $100,000 screwup! The welder was fired and was back on another site (Long Lake) within days. This all happened within the last 2 years.

If there was a blacklist, i would think that a company would be sure that these 2 people would find their way on it. And yes i am from Sask, but haven't burned a rod there for years. I have only worked Alberta and have had 3 months off in the past 2 years and have never worked by hand! The work is out there! I don't know what i would do in your situation, other than trying to find out a HR name with Shell and directly calling them and faxing the letter you have to their attention, and seeing what they say. Otherwise, you will have to move on to another site.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Blacklisted... One last ditch thing you may want to try if you believe that there is something funny going on, rent one of those paid by the month mail boxes, and either change your cell or get another cheapo one. Change all your contact info on your resume, and add like a middle initial to your name. Revamp your resume a bit so at first glance you wouldn't recogize it. Then reissue the resume to all your contacts. If you are still not getting calls, then i would suspect that it goes deeper than your name being banned, i would suspect that someone is slamming you when the get a call from a potential employer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

A&C in Edmonton, Alberta

68 months ago

lucky1 in Fort Mcmurray, Alberta said: disco69
I am currently looking for 10 rig welders for a job in Fort McMurray. If you might be interested email me at rjanvier@telus.net

You still lookin?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

EMclain in Clevland, Texas

68 months ago

I am currently looking for 10 rig welders for a job in Fort McMurray. If you might be interested email me at rjanvier@telus.net

Are you still looking for rig welders? Im very intrested if so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

disco69 in Edmonton, Alberta

68 months ago

An email has been sent your way lucky1.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

arc28 in calgary, Alberta

68 months ago

Hey I just signed on to this site noticed you might be looking for rig welders, if so I have alot of experience and was up in Fort Mac till november of 2008 working. I am looking for work if you are interested in talking let me know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

famous one in Lloydminster, Saskatchewan

68 months ago

I just sent you an e-mail lucky1

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stouty's in Calgary, Alberta

68 months ago

am also looking for rig welding work. am available ASAP email address is jstoughton@shaw.ca

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I am sending you my resume been off for a week now and want to work anywhere any time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

arctig in Lloydminster, Alberta said: Hey famous one are you from lloydminster

you bet

68 months ago

famous one in Lloydminster, Saskatchewan said: you bet

How is the local work scene I have not had much sucess in getting work locally because there is such a glut of rigs in this town and it is definitly a buddy buddy who you know not what you know thing happening here Iwas a union boilermaker for 16 years and found it no different than being a rig welder lots of baglicking and patronage to a select few who get the majority of the work so i work away from home we should meet

68 months ago

you hit it on the nose,this town is very tough getting work,thats why I am looking on the road

68 months ago

arctig in Lloydminster, Alberta said: How is the local work scene I have not had much sucess in getting work locally because there is such a glut of rigs in this town and it is definitly a buddy buddy who you know not what you know thing happening here Iwas a union boilermaker for 16 years and found it no different than being a rig welder lots of baglicking and patronage to a select few who get the majority of the work so i work away from home we should meet

where were you working before?

68 months ago

BEEN TO CONKLIN FOUR TIMES SINCE FATHERS DAY BUT ALL THE JOBS WERE ONLY SIX DAYS AT ATIME

hwf in Edmonton, Alberta

68 months ago

Hey just found this site. Hope you are still looking for a rig welder and am sending you a resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gordo in Edmonton, Alberta

68 months ago

You still need any rig welders my friend??

me_77 in Red Deer, Alberta

67 months ago

FYI GUYS.... Cord in Blackfalds isn't hiring anyone as far as welding goes... They certainly are not hiring any locals either. They brought all their welders in from out of town that are all camping at local lakes ie) gull lake, that are their regulars and have only hired local "scabs" to do crap labor work. My fiance has applied there about 10 times, as have about 15 other local welders that live in town here, and cord won't give anyone the time of day. They say that they are hiring welders, but the only hiring that they have done that anyone can confirm is your scab labor just so you guys know don't get your hopes up on that one!

colin johnston in Grande Prairie, Alberta

67 months ago

I am interested wcb&bpressure tickets

zieks in Edmonton, Alberta

67 months ago

Whats Company name and fax number?

67 months ago

CMJsWELDING INC

Brazemaster in Wetaskiwin, Alberta

67 months ago

colin johnston in Grande Prairie, Alberta said: CMJsWELDING INC

are you looking for welders Colin or looking for work?

67 months ago

I am looking for work. Bpressure or structural

me_77 in Edmonton, Alberta

67 months ago

hey guys if you have your b pressure, check out jv driver.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Norweld Mechanical Installations are looking for welders

67 months ago

goin back to conklin on sept 20 for shutdown 4 to 5days its better than nothing im getting real tired of fishing and riding my motorcycle all damn day lol.

67 months ago

hey famous one are you still in town or are you working

famous one in Turtleford, Saskatchewan

67 months ago

still in town

cec in Spruce Grove, Alberta

67 months ago

are u still looking?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

arctig in Lloydminster, Alberta said: hey famous one are you still in town or are you working

I'm still in town but am occupied for the month of september.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alex B in Edmonton, Alberta

67 months ago

Hey guys, 2nd year apprentice here looking for wokr. Just moved to Edmonton a couple weeks ago and can't find a god damn thing. Anyone got any suggestions?

big al in Calgary, Alberta

67 months ago

-blacklisted

It is CLAC that has you blacklisted. They do this on a regular basis. From the sounds of it, after these companies decide they eant you to work for them, they send in the names to clac, and clac tells them you are not to be hired. Must be demoralizing working hr in these companies knowing that you cant hire who you want, only who clac wants.......

tigerin316L in Edmonton, Alberta

67 months ago

3rd year(soon to be journeyman) with years of carbon/SS tig experience,lathe experience looking for work.Anyone hiring. Let me know thanks a lot

leo676 in Edinburg, Texas

66 months ago

cec in Spruce Grove, Alberta said: are u still looking?

are you still looking for welders

superman in Stony Plain, Alberta

66 months ago

Alberta Rig Welder in Red Deer, Alberta said: Me and My father-In-Law have a small company with 2 Rigs and a Picker Truck but have not been able to find work since December.

suncor,jacobs.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.